Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #51
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oooh, I've tried something similar to the cake Mr. Jigglesworth was talking about. It's ends up like a big fudgy pudding cake. No pretty-ness required. Just scoop it into a bowl, add a scoop of ice cream, and you're golden...So tasty!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #52
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ah, thanks. I was trying to envision a typical cake and not following.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #53
Mr. Jigglesworth

Mr. Jigglesworth can now change their title

Just 1 scoop of ice cream.....geez where's the fun in that...hehehehe

Mr. Jigglesworth
Mr. Jigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #54
Mini
Right, not nice

Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have nothing of substance to add to this thread, but for some reason I first saw it as "Crotch rot buggery."

No, I have no idea why.

Carry on.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #55
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Rice pudding in the crock pot!

Ingredients:
1/2 gallon milk
1 cup rice -- long grain
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
salt
cinnamon
raisins

Directions:

Place milk, rice, sugar and a pinch of salt in crockpot. Cook on high for 1-1/2 hours. Stir and add raisins and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cook for another 1-1/2 hours, stirring often. As soon as mixture starts to thicken turn off crockpot.

This recipe for Rice Pudding serves/makes 4
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #56
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding

15 oz can solid pack pumpkin
12 can evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk baking mix
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and pour into greased slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW 6-7 hours, or until thermometer reads 160.
Serve in bowls topped with whipped cream.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #57
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default split pea soup

I took this from two recipes (thanks ladies!) and added some new things, without exact measurments:

8 cups split peas rinsed and picked through
8 cups chicken broth
1 parsnip peeled and roughly chopped
2 carrots peeled & roughly chopped
1 sweet potato peeled & roughly chopped
1 medium onion diced
piece of smoked pork shoulder (or any type of smoked pork product), remove skin.
sage
bay leaf
white & black pepper
penzey's sunny paris seasoning (a mix of dried onion,s hallots, and other things)

So basically I tossed all the ingredients in the pot, added the broth, put on low for 10 hours. Then I took out the piece of pork, cut it up and added back to the soup. The only thing differently I would do is add more stock or water. You can an extremely thick connocation, but it is delicious!
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #58
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

oh my oh my. I want to get me a crock pot!!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #59
CuteyChubb
Queen of Hearts

CuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
A crock pot tip:

Line the crock pot with a baking bag, and you can remove the whole bag when done, and you don't have to scrub for hours getting the little bits off the sides.
Jane coulda patented this idea and sold it to Reynolds for their slow cooker liners.

:) Smile, JESUS loves you. (Even if you don't want him to. ;) )
CuteyChubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #60
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

CROCK POT SHRIMP MARINARA

1 (16 oz.) can of peeled tomatoes, cut up
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 lb. cooked shelled shrimp
Grated Parmesan cheese
Cook spaghetti

In a crock pot, combine tomatoes with parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, oregano, tomato paste and seasoned salt. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Turn control to high, stir in shrimp, cover and cook on high for 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve over cooked spaghetti. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #61
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Spicy Beef Curry Stew for the Slow Cooker

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound beef stew meat
1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1 fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 onion, sliced and quartered
1 cup beef broth

DIRECTIONS
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and brown the beef on all sides. Remove from skillet, reserving juices, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in the skillet for 2 minutes, until tender, and season with curry powder. Mix in the diced tomatoes and juice.
Place the onion in the bottom of a slow cooker, and layer with the browned beef. Scoop the skillet mixture into the slow cooker, and mix in the beef broth.
Cover, and cook 6 to 8 hours on Low.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #62
jeannieo

jeannieo can now change their title
Default Another Meatball appetizer variation

We've made these meatballs in my family for years in the crockpot. Sometimes we use them for appetizers (it's a Christmas Eve buffet standard) or for dinner over rice. Sounds kinda weird - but it's the best variation of this recipe I've ever tried.

Crockpot Meatballs:

1 jar Chili Sauce
1 can whole cranberry sauce (works better with whole cranberries for some reason)
frozen meatballs

Combine everything in the crockpot and cook on low for a few hours until cranberries have almost disolved.

Probably the easiest recipe I know of! Hope you try it - you won't be sorry
jeannieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #63
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm loving this thread -- keep the good ideas coming. I'm going to make the rice pudding this weekend. I love rice pudding but the standing at the stove and stir for what seems like hours is just so not something I'm willing to do.

I'm late for work but I'll try to add some recipes in the next day or so. This is the perfect time for crock pot cookery, isn't it?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #64
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Chicken and Black Beans

INGREDIENTS:

3 to 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut in strips
1 can (12 to 15 ounces) corn, drained
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons gound cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut in strips
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Garnish with shredded cheese, if desired. Serve fiesta chicken and black beans with warmed flour tortillas, or over rice.
Serves 4.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #65
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaciturnBadger
I recently got hold of a box of the new "Crock Pot Liners." Has anybody had any experience using them yet? Are they worth messing with?

--B.
I tried the slow cooker liners a few weeks ago, because someone on one of the boards here said they worked well.

I have used my crockpot at least 2 or 3 times a week ever since. I love those liners!
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #66
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I usually just cook meat in the crockpot and then fix a side to go with it when I get home from work.

I cook chicken breasts covered in chicken stock, beef roast covered with beef stock, and when I cook boneless pork ribs I also cover them in beef stock then after they are removed from the crockpot I smother them in BBQ sauce.

Meat that is slow cooked completely covered in liquid is soooooooooo tender and juicy.

I am going to try that pumpkin pudding ala crockpot though!
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #67
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

I make my pulled pork in my slow cooker....nothing like smelling bbq all day!!

I just put pork (any cut) cover it in my favourite bbq..I add a little water...let it cook all day. Half an hour before I'm ready to devour it (LOL) I put in slivers of onions and green/red peppers.

Sometimes I put the pulled pork over mashed potatoes, rice or a very fresh kaiser!

I will be making this tonight lol My mouth is watering! lol
Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #68
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Slow Cooker Lentils

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 cups chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped, with liquid
2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 dried bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/8 teaspoon leaf sage, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

PREPARATION:
Place all ingredients, except the cheese, in the slow cooker and cook on the HIGH setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the lentils are tender. Stir in the cheese until it is melted. Serve hot, topped with more cheese, if desired.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #69
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Crockpot Chalupas

INGREDIENTS:
3 to 4 pounds boneless pork loin roast, trimmed (I've used beef and chicken as well)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can green chile peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Topping:
Grated cheese
Chopped onions
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Sour cream
Coarsely crushed tortilla chips

PREPARATION:
Place first 7 ingredients in slow cooker, along with 1/2 cup water. Cook 8 to 10 hours. Add beans 1 hour before done. Top with desired toppings and serve with warm tortillas.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #70
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

This is the dish most frequently made in my crockpot.

Italian London Broil

2 pound cut of London Broil or similar cut of beef
1 or 2 jars of spagetti sauce you normally use.
If you use jarred sauce, just dump it in and go.

OR use homemade sauce
I make mine, right on top of the meat, as follows:
2 cans diced tomato with juice
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1/4c garlic chopped
1/2c carrot peelings (adds sweet balance to the acid of the tomato)
1/2c chopped parsley
big handful of basil in season, chopped, or a big tablespoon of pesto
1 or 2 large onions, chopped

Once the sauce has had a chance to cook, about 4 hours on low for my crockpot, I taste for salt and add pepper.

Cook for an additional hour to thicken sauce. Meat will be fork tender and falling apart.
I serve this with a few cheese tortellini or ravioli tossed with a ladleful of sauce, a big green salad and garlic bread.

Serves 6 or 8 easily.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #71
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Slow-Cooker Beef Madras

2 lb 1 1/2-in. cubes stewing beef
1 jar (14.5 oz) sweet peppers & coconut cooking sauce
1 bag (19 oz) frozen garden vegetable medley (sugar snap peas, roasted potatoes, red peppers and garden herbs)

Serves 6
Active: 5 min/Total: 8 to 10 hr on low

Good served with white rice.

Mix beef and cooking sauce in a 3-qt or larger slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours until meat is tender.
Add vegetables and cook on low 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and snap peas are crisp-tender.

Per serving: 507 cal, 29 g pro, 18 g car, 2 g fiber, 35 g fat (14 g sat fat), 109 mg chol, 613 mg sod
Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #72
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Pork Goulash

Serves: 6

Active: 5 min/Total: 7 to 9 hr on low

1 and 1⁄4-lb boneless pork butt, cut in 1-in. chunks
1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes in purée
1 pkt beefy-onion soup mix (from
2.2-oz box)
2 Tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp caraway seeds
3⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
3 Tbsp snipped fresh dill

1. Mix first 6 ingredients in a 3-qt or larger slow-cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours until pork is tender. Stir in sour cream and dill.

300 cal, 20 g pro, 11 g car, 1 g fiber, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 77 mg chol, 61 mg sod
Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #73
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm definitely going to try a LOT of these recipes. That'll keep my grok pot busy for the forseeable future.

Here's one of my recipes which gets a lot of compliments.

Vickie’s Crazy Curry Recipe
(for crock pot)

Ingredients:

•8 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
•2 bottles Thai peanut sauce
•Lots of garlic (2+ Tbs minced garlic)
•2-3 Tbs mild (non yellow) curry powder
•1 Tbs garam masala (optional)
•1 Medium Onion
•1 can diced tomatoes
•Your choices of veggies: Some that I like are potatoes (diced), cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas (frozen peas are great), zucchini (diced)

What you do (it’s so simple):

Brown chicken thighs in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and continue to cook until chicken is brown and onions are slightly translucent.

Dump into crock pot. Add Thai peanut sauce, curry powder, and tomatoes. Add potatoes and carrots.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender. Shred it with a fork if it hasn’t come apart already. Add any veggies that cook quickly now (like frozen peas). Once veggies are crisp tender, you’re done. Excellent when served over basmati rice or with Naan (if you know how to make it – I don’t). Feeds a small army – or else one shift’s worth of hungry nurses.

Variations:

•Can be made on the stove in a Dutch oven (and actually I think this is better because you have better control over how “done” the veggies get). Just sauté as usual, then add all ingredients in order of how long they take to cook. Potatoes and carrots first, then zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower. Add frozen peas in the last few minutes of cooking. I simmer it over medium low heat for about an hour and it’s marvelous.
•This can also be made with stew meat and it’s excellent.
•You can also make this vegetarian with tofu, but don’t overcook it.
•If you want it spicier, either add more curry or else some cayenne pepper. Or be brave and add both!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #74
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*bump*

How's THIS for an old thread? I'm looking for a crock pot recipe that is oging to impress a fussy out of town overnight guest. Has anyone tried any of these here? Any recommendations?

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #75
Lightning Man
Lover of Voluptuousness

Lightning Man can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
*bump*

How's THIS for an old thread? I'm looking for a crock pot recipe that is oging to impress a fussy out of town overnight guest. Has anyone tried any of these here? Any recommendations?
A couple of questions:
In what way are they fussy?
Are you trying to prepare an entire meal or just an entree?
Lightning Man is offline   Reply With Quote