Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-05-2005, 01:19 AM   #1
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Regional Food

Having just moved from California to Arkansas, I'm giving up Date Shakes and Panaderia for Fried Catfish and Chocolate Gravy. What local foods are favorites that you can't get elsewhere?

Does anyone else have some regional favorites?

Date Shakes
http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...TS06/502240322

Chocolate Gravy
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/il.../biscuits.html
Gordo Mejor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 AM   #2
Delaney

Living in Maine now, our local "favorites" are eh at best (in my opinion...no offense to those born here). "Italians" are basically just a ham & cheese sub with certain veggies and dressing; I'll take a meatball sub or turkey with mayo over that any day! Another are fiddleheads....immature ferns that taste a bit like brussel sprouts. I never took a shine to them. The lobster, though, gets my thumbs up.

http://www.crabcoll.com/journal/fiddleheads.html

Now, in Jersey, where I grew up, the best breakfast food ever, which may have in fact been served up on Olympus, was PORK ROLL. Man, I love that stuff so much, its unreal.

http://www.hometowntales.com/porkroll.html
Old 10-05-2005, 04:55 AM   #3
Nate Bouchard

Nate Bouchard has said some nice things

FIDDLEHEADS!!!! that stuff kicked ass for the lord!!! my grandfather used to go walking picking that stuff along the banks of the St. John River... and my grandmother made a mean chicken stew... those are always requests I make from my mom when I head back to the tundra of northern Maine
Nate Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't know what counts as new york regional specialties. I love pastrami and katz's has the best http://www.katzdeli.com/ their brisket isn't too bad either but they charge extra for the gravy! I can't even finish a sandwich, but at least it allows you to continue the bliss into the next day.

Nathan's hot dogs are overrated. Does White Castle count as a regional speciality? I am surronded by those places and once in awhile, I get a great craving for them.

A lot of Italian food, good pizza, I grew up right by one of the best places in the city. I can say a great mecca for Italian food would be Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. We go there sometimes to get some delicious sandwiches (prosciutto, mortadella, mozzarella, lettuce and tomato, vingear all on crusty bread, yum!).

I forgot to mention most diners in the outer boroughs have this sandwich: it's chinese roast pork, served on garlic bread with lettuce and tomato with duck sauce on the side. I haven't seen it anywhere else in the country.
I always wanted to try fiddleheads but they look rather slimy to me. Are they slimy like okra?

Last edited by MissToodles; 10-05-2005 at 11:41 AM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo Mejor
Having just moved from California to Arkansas
Heyas..

Try the Pancake Shop over in Hot Springs. They have country ham slices bigger than most steaks and the pancakes are damn tasty.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a fanatic for D'Anglelos Subs and they are a phenom only here in New England. In my opinion, Subway just doesn't even come close. You haven't lived until you've tried their Chicken Ceasar on a roll or their steak cheese and mushroom subs. Also there's a worst kept secret place here in Downtown Boston called 'The Sultan's Kitchen.' Best Middle Eastern food I've ever tasted anywhere, even the Middle East. Eat something from there at least once before you die.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I grew up in New Jersey, where every town had at least ONE place that made decent bagels, and plenty of all-night diners.

Here in Colorado, there are no diners at all (except for the occasional Gunther Toody's), and the bagels suck.

There's just nothing like a good old-fashioned all-night diner, IMHO. Like the one below - the Bendix Diner on Rt. 17 in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. It was there that the late Nancy Walker performed as Rosie in those old Bounty paper towel commercials.

Last edited by Wayne_Zitkus; 10-05-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Wayne_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

For me, nothing says Toledo like Tony Packo's Cafe, like a chili sundae (chili, sour cream and cheese in a sundae glass with a cherry tomato on top) as an appetizer and their Hungarian sausage platter as the main course. That hardly leaves room for dessert, but I usually cram in a strudel anyway.

http://tonypacko.com/

When I travel I love to try the local specialities, like the mysterious Runza sandwich in Omaha, a genuine deep dish pizza in Chicago, and a mouth-watering Kansas City barbecue. Fresh lobster in Boston and salmon in Seattle are great too.

Last edited by TallFatSue; 10-05-2005 at 01:18 PM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #9
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Talking Yay for Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallFatSue
When I travel I love to try the local specialities, like the mysterious Runza sandwich in Omaha,
Woohooo thanks for plugging our Runzas Sue, they are the best!!!
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ok...what's a Runza??
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
Ok...what's a Runza??
Well since I have zero descriptive ability, I'll let the experts tell you. All I can say is DELISH!!

http://www.runza.com/whatzarunza.htm
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Three Syllables: Bar Be Que

I was raised with Texas Beef Brisket. Where ever I go, everyone has a different definition for BBQ. No-one has it wrong, they just have it with a different animal, different cut, and a different sauce. On my list of recipes to try before I die, or before I can't... move anymore.. is the red pepper bbq of the Carolinas.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
Delaney

LOL Fuzzy, my BF and I have decided that when we retire (HA!) or at least some time before we pass to the great beyond, we're going to take a roadtrip and visit all of the BBQ festivals in the south. We always drool over the Food Network specials about them.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #14
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'd say Papaya King/Gray's Papaya-style grilled hot dogs are unique to New York. Other places have hot dogs, but they're not the same. Based on the Nathan's model (and I agree that Nathan's has slipped), they are all-beef, kind of small and salty and can be eaten without anything.

I'd say bagels are true to New York, but recently I've had decent ones outside the NYC metro area and the ones in NYC proper seem to get worse every year.

Real Jewish deli (corned beef, pastrami, brisket, tongue, etc) is hard to get outside metro NYC, and is vanishing here as well. The real ingredients are expensive and a pain in the ass to prepare and serve properly, so unless a place has enough customers to justify it, it just isn't worth it. Have you tried Second Avenue Deli (2nd Ave and 10th street)? They're my favorite and probably the last Kosher die-hard in Manhattan.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Tex-Mex style Mexican food. Hot, greasy, cheesy, meaty, and that's just the rice... wait until you get to the enchilada proper!

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #16
Gordo Mejor

Gordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesGordo Mejor can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I like pancakes. I'll have to try it. Then go to McClards for supper.
Gordo Mejor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #17
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres huevos
I'd say Papaya King/Gray's Papaya-style grilled hot dogs are unique to New York. Other places have hot dogs, but they're not the same. Based on the Nathan's model (and I agree that Nathan's has slipped), they are all-beef, kind of small and salty and can be eaten without anything.

I'd say bagels are true to New York, but recently I've had decent ones outside the NYC metro area and the ones in NYC proper seem to get worse every year.

Real Jewish deli (corned beef, pastrami, brisket, tongue, etc) is hard to get outside metro NYC, and is vanishing here as well. The real ingredients are expensive and a pain in the ass to prepare and serve properly, so unless a place has enough customers to justify it, it just isn't worth it. Have you tried Second Avenue Deli (2nd Ave and 10th street)? They're my favorite and probably the last Kosher die-hard in Manhattan.
Good bagels are hard to find. I found pretty decent bagels in the Bronx but they are refered to as Montreal style. The people who work at the store also have major attitudes and I don't like to frequent places that have such disdain for all of their customers. I heard Katz's "imports" its pastrami from Albany!
Old 10-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #18
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mmms.. I have been trying to think of what was really better in KY than anywhere else and I just noticed the answer sitting on our kitchen table.

Sorghum. Well I think the rest of the world calls it sorghum molasses, but here it is just sorghum.

Other things that come to mind are burgoo (tasty), hot browns (my bf is not a fan), and mint juleps (yum). I have to say our Bourbon balls are the best and my favorite KY food... Jam Cake. I prefer it without the caramel icing, because my granny never used it, but you will more than likely find it like that here.

Red-eye gravy and grits are everywhere else too. Apparently meat grease dumplins are unique to my hometown...but that is fine, we like to be a little unique.

gah... I almost forgot Derby Pie... imagine a pecan pie with chocolate in the bottom of it.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I can tell all of you about one place NOT to visit if you're ever in Southern Colorado - Conway's Red Top.

They feature a burger that's about eight inches in diameter. But they cook them for so long that they cook out all of the flavor. And the oversize buns fall apart, so you're left with a pile of tasteless slop on your place.

On the other hand, I can recommend Sonic - it's a drive-in chain here in the Southwest and the South. We've been to them in Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas, and the food is always good.

The picture below is a Super Sonic - a double cheeseburger that is out of this world.....

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/

Last edited by Wayne_Zitkus; 10-09-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Wayne_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #20
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie
Heyas..

Try the Pancake Shop over in Hot Springs. They have country ham slices bigger than most steaks and the pancakes are damn tasty.

YIPPEEE I had totally forgotten about the Pankcake Shop !!!! Wow.... nothing better than Pancakes and then heading over to the Arlington to get scrubed and rubbed... I just love hotsprings..... I wonder if the little Austrian place is still there they had the best meatballs ........ brown gravy... swoon...........
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #21
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Regional Food - from the places I have lived recently

South Carolina - Red Rice- faintly sweet with sasauge and spices very tasty. Bene Wafers (sesame cookies crisp and delicious), Mustard based BBQ sauce on pulled pork(someone mentioned Red Pepper I never saw that) Typical sould food meals are everywhere, Near the coast the best fried shirimp I have ever had. Low country cooking is one of my favorite, frogmore stew- shrimp, sausage, potatos, corn all boiled in old bay seasoning....served in big steaming piles

California- Sacramento Area- Japanese food---- oh I miss the noodle soups, all things avacado----- the south is not too big on those things, enjoy them if you can find them

Alabama- Fried is what is done best, usually in the form of a Meat and Three, that is choose your meat, and it is served with three sides.... usually collard greens, macaroni and cheese (if you haven't had the baked mac and cheese done in the south run don't walk below the mason dixon line) and fried green tomatose, or if you are adventurous you can try the pineapple and cheese caserole. And you must never forget the boiled peanuts.... don't ask they are just good.............
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #22
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW
Well since I have zero descriptive ability, I'll let the experts tell you. All I can say is DELISH!!

http://www.runza.com/whatzarunza.htm
Yes they are. I was visiting a company in southwest Omaha, and for lunch they took me to Runza. Apparently they think it's funny to take out-of-towners to Runza and watch them turn up their noses. Not me! I went straight for a Swiss Cheese Mushroom Runza Sandwich and it was terrific. I surprised a few people when I asked to go to lunch there again the next day. For dinner that evening they took me to Gorat's steakhouse in Omaha. Not much to look at, but outstanding steaks!
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #23
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A friend of mine tells me that "chili" in the Midwest involves spaghetti, red sauce, and about a pound of cheese on top.

No sir. I will NOT have that.

I am a Texan, and for me, nothing touches the recipes subtly derived from Frank X. Tolbert's research into the subject. Chili to me is meat cooked in lots of spices until it's good and thick and chili-licious. Tomatoes can be added, sure, as can some onions. But watch out you don't make it a stew, now!

Current listening: "Texas Cookin'" by Guy Clark.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #24
Moonchild
Seniory McMember

Moonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot pics

I've lived in New Jersey my whole life, and the two things that came immediately to mind were the two things already mentioned about New Jersey, pork roll and bagels in abundance.

I've learned not to eat pizza outside of New Jersey or New York. Every time I've had it in another state (which, granted, is not much), it couldn't compare.
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #25
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild
I've lived in New Jersey my whole life, and the two things that came immediately to mind were the two things already mentioned about New Jersey, pork roll and bagels in abundance.

I've learned not to eat pizza outside of New Jersey or New York. Every time I've had it in another state (which, granted, is not much), it couldn't compare.
Pork roll......

I forgot how much I missed that stuff. Here in Colorado, they've never heard of Taylor Ham (Trenton's gift to the world).