Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #51
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
I know it seems a bit odd...but NJ is known as the Garden State!

Once you've had true Jersey tomatoes, and Jersey sweet corn, and Jersey blueberries...nothing else will do!!
Truer words were never spoken.

There is NOTHING like a good Jersey beefsteak tomato. And the corn is to die for - most of the stuff out here is to die FROM! (They do sell peaches-and-cream corn out here - yellow and white kernels on the same cob - that's good sometimes, but usually tasteless.) The big crop out here is peppers - 50 miles easy of here, it's cantaloupes.

And we really miss good bagels and rolls. All the stuff out here is either soft and squishy, or stale and crumbly. And they actually sell bagels with ICING on them!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 AM   #52
Transplanted.Magnolia

Transplanted.Magnolia has said some nice things
Default Corinth, MS....Slugburger

I am originally from Corinth, MS....so is my favorite regional food, the slugburger. My understanding is that the patty is a soybean and beef mixture. It is customary to have these burgers topped off with mustard, dill pickle, and onion. There's even a festival every year celebrating this southern delicacy.

I grew up eating them and loving them, and whenever I get back to visit my family I try to get me a sack full of them for the trip home. Good Luck trying to get one on Sunday though, because all the restaurants that specialize in them are closed.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #53
saucywench

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess
...I just love hotsprings..... I wonder if the little Austrian place is still there they had the best meatballs ........ brown gravy... swoon...........

Well, your query has confounded me for the better part of an hour now. My first thought is that you are thinking of the Brau Haus, a German restaurant which is on the lower level of Spencer's Corner, a brick building of shops and restaurants. I ate there once and wasn't too wowed by it, and I love to try different things. Perhaps I'm more a fan of spicy in the way of Indian food than the sweet/sour of German food.

I then went on to Google around and found that there's another restaurant named Bohemian, which has been around for ages. Funny that I was never really aware of it--but from the maps it looks like it's past the Arlington on the way out of town, up Highway 7.

If the Brau Haus is the restaurant you were thinking of, I noticed that it got decidedly mixed reviews--people seem to either love it or loathe it.

Last edited by saucywench; 12-24-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:32 AM   #54
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Currently I'm in Kitchener, Ontario. In a way the real specialty of the town is the grocery shopping--there are two major farmer's markets where you can get eggplant, emu, and most of the rest of the alphabet besides, and there are also quite a few food processing places that sell direct from teh factory, and farms along the highway that have signs up selling this or that.

But if you had to name one foodstuff, I guess it would be "Oktoberfest sausages." Now, Okterberfest is huge here, but they only starting formally celebrating it in the late 60s, so I don't know if this is an old traditional type of sausage renamed, or a new invention, but they sure are yummy! They are a mild sausage, best eaten on a bun, and slathered with 'oktoberfest mustard' (a sweet mustard).

Oh, and there huge selections of strong rye breads, for those that like them.

More broadly, I'm told that buttertarts are an Ontario thing. And of course there are some good maple syrup regions around the province, including near here.

But I'm still more likely to go an ethnic restaurant of some sort if I'm going out to a restaurant. Given the large immigrant population in Ontario, there is no shortage of places to choose from with often very authentic food.

-Ed
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #55
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Bouchard
FIDDLEHEADS!!!! that stuff kicked ass for the lord!!!
*L* yah, I like them too. One of my favorite parts of spring is when the fiddleheads show up in the stores. My wife makes an amazing fiddlehead ragout!

-Ed
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #56
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default shampoo banana

Papa Del's Pizza, Champaign Illinois. There is literally very little I wouldn't do to get a pizza from Papa Del's. Just the thought of it makes me tear up a little. *sniffle*
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #57
Deidrababe
Easy, Breezie, Deidrababe

Deidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this boardDeidrababe carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW
I'm a fanatic for D'Anglelos Subs and they are a phenom only here in New England. In my opinion, Subway just doesn't even come close. You haven't lived until you've tried their Chicken Ceasar on a roll or their steak cheese and mushroom subs. Also there's a worst kept secret place here in Downtown Boston called 'The Sultan's Kitchen.' Best Middle Eastern food I've ever tasted anywhere, even the Middle East. Eat something from there at least once before you die.

Oh, LIlly, you are soooo right about D'angelos! Their Steak and Cheese is THE BEST EVER!
Deeds

Want to know more about me? Read my blog! Come Check out my Facebook Page or My Myspace page! Want MORE Deidra all around? Come to my Yahoo Site! ALL FREE!

Deidra's MySpace Page

Deidra's Facebook Page

Deidrababe's Big Belly Paradise
Deidrababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #58
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Meh...I never liked chocolate gravy, it doesn't go well with sausage ,bacon or biscuits. My daddy loves the stuff though, we have it every Christmas before church!

I'd rather have red eye gravy, made from salted smoke house ham.... It's strong , but it's good.

Chicken and dumplings are a big deal down here, women have caused riots over comments made about the "fluffy-ness" of their dumplings, nothing worse than a "rock" dumpling.

And of course.... Fried Chicken!!!
I can't count the times I've sat on the back pourch eating watermelon, smelling the chicken fry, and biscuits bake! It was always good cold ,the next day! Momma would put two peices of white bread, two drumsticks and a peice of pound cake in a bag, a thermos of sweet tea, and send us with daddy for the day.....

Oh and lets not forget slaw dogs!!
I've only ever seen them in the South...and thats a shame!
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #59
bradlm

bradlm can now change their title

ok Miss Toodles..I think we may have to have some words here. Nathan's "OVER-RATED"??? Now I admit, the ones in the supermarket or in any other location aren't terrific, but get me to the original, and only true Nathan's Famous in Coney Island and there is no hot dog better. Follow that with a trip to Ices Queen, just off Avenue I and Utica for the perfect double feature. I do agree with you about Katz's and while not a pastrami fan myself, the corned beef is the leanest ever and piled high on a huge sandwich with a Dr. brown's Cream Soda..well let's just say it's as near to heaven as I can get. White Castle is awesome, especially after hours, nothing else will do. Now being a Brooklynite and now living in CT, I have never been to Arthur Ave, though I've heard tales, maybe we should go to one of your favorites together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
I don't know what counts as new york regional specialties. I love pastrami and katz's has the best http://www.katzdeli.com/ their brisket isn't too bad either but they charge extra for the gravy! I can't even finish a sandwich, but at least it allows you to continue the bliss into the next day.

Nathan's hot dogs are overrated. Does White Castle count as a regional speciality? I am surronded by those places and once in awhile, I get a great craving for them.

A lot of Italian food, good pizza, I grew up right by one of the best places in the city. I can say a great mecca for Italian food would be Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. We go there sometimes to get some delicious sandwiches (prosciutto, mortadella, mozzarella, lettuce and tomato, vingear all on crusty bread, yum!).

I forgot to mention most diners in the outer boroughs have this sandwich: it's chinese roast pork, served on garlic bread with lettuce and tomato with duck sauce on the side. I haven't seen it anywhere else in the country.
I always wanted to try fiddleheads but they look rather slimy to me. Are they slimy like okra?

Last edited by bradlm; 10-20-2005 at 12:30 PM.
bradlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #60
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default true confessions

I don't want to turn this into a true confessions thread, but I've lived in philly for 11 years now and I've *still* never been to Pat's or Geno's (competing Philly cheesesteak mainstays).

the shame, the shame.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote