Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Foods You Like That Other People Can't Stand

The other day, I bought something at the supermarket I haven't had in years, and cooked it yesterday morning - a beef tongue:

This is one of the tastes from my childhood. In fact, we had tongue quite often for Sunday dinner in the Late '50s and Early '60s, back when my mother was a stay-at-home mom and money was tight.

I know a lot of people can't stand tongue. Including Sandie. I'll be slicing this one up for sandwiches. (Back in the '70s, I used to go out to lunch on paydays with the guys I worked with - many times, we'd go to a local diner that had tongue sandwiches on the menu. I guess I ordered it a lot, because one time we were looking at the menus and the guy who drove said "Wayne, if you order tongue again, you're walking back to the office!")

How about you? Are there and foods that YOU like that other people think are strange?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yes, tongue!! LOL I love it, it's sooo delicious. We know it as ox tongue. But do you just slice the tongue like that? My granny always boiled the tongue, then peeled and de-boned it, then she would tie it with string so it was like a circular shape, put it in a dish with a plate on top and sit a heavy iron on it overnight. Then in the morning the tongue was pressed and surrounded by a lovely layer of jelly. Heaven! and ready to slice... oooh I want some now!

I also adore oxtail. browned with some onion and garlic, then casseroled in the oven with red wine for hours til the meat is falling off the bone and the fat is melt in the mouth, sticky and delicious. There is no better meat I can think of than oxtail and ox tongue.

I love pressed cod roe, fried in a little butter in slices, then sprinkled with lemon juice.

Haggis is delicious, spicy and peppery. Almost anyone who says its horrible has never tasted it, don't knock it til you've tried it!

Will add any more as I think of them!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Yes, tongue!! LOL I love it, it's sooo delicious. We know it as ox tongue. But do you just slice the tongue like that? My granny always boiled the tongue, then peeled and de-boned it, then she would tie it with string so it was like a circular shape, put it in a dish with a plate on top and sit a heavy iron on it overnight. Then in the morning the tongue was pressed and surrounded by a lovely layer of jelly. Heaven! and ready to slice... oooh I want some now!

I also adore oxtail. browned with some onion and garlic, then casseroled in the oven with red wine for hours til the meat is falling off the bone and the fat is melt in the mouth, sticky and delicious. There is no better meat I can think of than oxtail and ox tongue.

I love pressed cod roe, fried in a little butter in slices, then sprinkled with lemon juice.

Haggis is delicious, spicy and peppery. Almost anyone who says its horrible has never tasted it, don't knock it til you've tried it!

Will add any more as I think of them!
I boiled it for around two hours with a cut-up carrot and onion in the water, and then peeled off the outer skin. It's sitting in the fridge right now - later today, I'll slice it up for andwiches.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

yummmmmmmmmmmm!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Most people I know can not stand Wise Cheez Waffies and yet, they are my favorite snack food of all time!
Sadly, Wise products are not available on the west coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wisecheezwaffies.jpg (2.8 KB, 232 views)

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked View Post
Most people I know can not stand Wise Cheez Waffies and yet, they are my favorite snack food of all time!
Really? I love these! I thought everyone did.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have found that very few of my friends are anxious to try preserved egg (aka thousand-year-old egg) and tofu. It's a delicious cold dish that I often order during the summer at my favorite Chinese restaurant. And I always offer to share, but there haven't been many takers.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Livurwurst. Most people don't like it but I love it I'm also a big fan of spinach -- even canned, though it's not my favorite way to eat it.

Wayne, my parents were big tongue lovers. It reminds me of my childhood, even though I can't imagine EVER eating it. My dad ate all kinds of weird things -- head cheese (which wasn't cheese and I can only imagine what part of the animal it came from), pigs knuckles, pickled eggs and these weird boiled and peeled canned potatoes.

It must be an East Coast thing?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked View Post
You can probably get them thru the Hometown Foods web site.

The two things I miss most from the East Coast are Taylor Ham and Drake's Ring Dings. And wonder of wonders - they now sell Taylor Ham at the deli in Krogers!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Wayne, my parents were big tongue lovers. It reminds me of my childhood, even though I can't imagine EVER eating it. My dad ate all kinds of weird things -- head cheese (which wasn't cheese and I can only imagine what part of the animal it came from), pigs knuckles, pickled eggs and these weird boiled and peeled canned potatoes.

It must be an East Coast thing?
Nope, not East Coast. My mom also made headcheese every time we butchered pigs. Don't fret; it's not the brains, but the meat from the head. I couldn't stand it, but Dad loved it. The house would smell like it for days, the kettle of it would be so big that Dad at least kept it in the basement until he had it whittled down enough to put in in the fridge. THEN it would misflavor everything in the fridge--including the milk and the orange juice.

Now for something I like that many others don't seem to: I love me some pickled eggs. And pickled heart. Again, whenever we'd butcher, pork or beef didn't matter, but the heart got cooked and then pickled in a mix of water, vinegar, sugar, salt and sliced onion.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Nobody mentioned limburger cheese yet. I learned yesterday that it is a bacterium that gives limburger its distinctive aroma: in fact, it is the same bacterium that produces human body odor. So that explains that.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #13
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Livurwurst. Most people don't like it but I love it
Oh me too!!!!!! Yummo!!!!!! I love liverwurst. I eat it with a spoon out of the casing at times. But I really love it on good rye bread with thin sliced onion and spicy mustard!

OMG that's my idea of heaven for the German girl in me.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
Oh me too!!!!!! Yummo!!!!!! I love liverwurst. I eat it with a spoon out of the casing at times. But I really love it on good rye bread with thin sliced onion and spicy mustard!

It's such a tasty food, isn't it? I'll eat it plain, or else on white bread or Kaiser rolls with Miracle Whip and horseradish. It's just not a food that lends itself to eh usual nutty whole grain-ey breads I eat, is it?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
It's such a tasty food, isn't it? I'll eat it plain, or else on white bread or Kaiser rolls with Miracle Whip and horseradish. It's just not a food that lends itself to eh usual nutty whole grain-ey breads I eat, is it?
You are right about eating eat on bread other than whole wheat. I just love the stuff - and horseradish on it is good too. I also love chicken livers just as much.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Green Olives. It seems like every Californian i meet cant stand green olives. I love it on salad, on pizza, in spaghetti mmmm I live in olive country too. (okay next to olive country in Orland)
Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Canned Smoked Kippers (herring). MrsFuzzy makes me eat them outside on the backporch.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #18
Roundsmile

Roundsmile has said some nice things

Sea Pickles, and dried dulse, straight out of the bag.
Roundsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #19
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Really? I love these! I thought everyone did.
Not as many as we lovers do!!
I think you either love them or hate them, there is no in-between!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #20
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_Zitkus View Post
You can probably get them thru the Hometown Foods web site.

The two things I miss most from the East Coast are Taylor Ham and Drake's Ring Dings. And wonder of wonders - they now sell Taylor Ham at the deli in Krogers!!!!
I was just telling my roommie about the east coast Drakes Cakes. My favorites are Funny Bones!
I can get Taylor Ham at a deli here in Seattle but it is a rather inconvenient location. I am heading for the east coast at the end of the week for a month and plan to return well stocked!!
As for Wise products, I was able to order Cheez Waffies direct from the company but I had to buy an entire case. I believe I paid somewhere in the vicinity of $65 for 24 bags, and that included S&H. Well worth it since they also threw in some Potato Chips, Popcorn and, another favorite, Dipsy Doodles!!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #21
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

Quote:

Me too!!!
I used to get it at a deli in Ridgewood, N.J. on a poppyseed kaiser (hard) roll with swiss cheese, a slab of raw onion and spicy brown mustard!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #22
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottiMegan View Post
Green Olives. It seems like every Californian i meet cant stand green olives. I love it on salad, on pizza, in spaghetti mmmm I live in olive country too. (okay next to olive country in Orland)
Oooo me too. Megan next time you make potato salad make it with mayo, onion chopped up green olives and celery seed! It's awesome!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #23
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Oooo me too. Megan next time you make potato salad make it with mayo, onion chopped up green olives and celery seed! It's awesome!!!
I usually have to put my chopped olives on the side since hubby hates them but yeah, i put them in my potato salad
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #24
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

HA! Snails Burger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feuillet__aux_escargots.jpg (88.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #25
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

LOL Ok, truth is we usually don't have them burger style. Here's having teh edible snail (grapevine snail) the normal way (i grew up in a wine growing region)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schnecken_comp.jpg (88.3 KB, 124 views)