Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM   #26
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I totally agree about the green olives. Yummy!

I put chopped green olives in my tuna salad too. Never tried it in potato, but now I just might.
Esme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #27
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

anchovies. (squee!)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #28
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
I also adore oxtail. browned with some onion and garlic, then casseroled in the oven with red wine for hours til the meat is falling off the bone and the fat is melt in the mouth, sticky and delicious. There is no better meat I can think of than oxtail and ox tongue.

Haggis is delicious, spicy and peppery. Almost anyone who says its horrible has never tasted it, don't knock it til you've tried it!

I love oxtail soup. Actually any cookbook covering typical dishes from the area where i grew up has a oxtail soup recipe... which usually is pretty similar to the English version.. but no surprise here, it's origins go back to the French Revolution... Don't like tongue though. One of the few things i'm avoiding. Had it once on a French fiesta, grilled ...

Now i wonna see pix of your homemade haggis. Plz. Thx.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #29
ssbbwQT
All this and brains!

ssbbwQT can now change their title

I absolutely love scrapple...dredge it in flour and fry it in butter and oil! omg! YUM!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple
ssbbwQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #30
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW Betty View Post
Nope, not East Coast. My mom also made headcheese every time we butchered pigs. Don't fret; it's not the brains, but the meat from the head. I couldn't stand it, but Dad loved it. The house would smell like it for days, the kettle of it would be so big that Dad at least kept it in the basement until he had it whittled down enough to put in in the fridge. THEN it would misflavor everything in the fridge--including the milk and the orange juice.

Now for something I like that many others don't seem to: I love me some pickled eggs. And pickled heart. Again, whenever we'd butcher, pork or beef didn't matter, but the heart got cooked and then pickled in a mix of water, vinegar, sugar, salt and sliced onion.
We have headcheese here, it's called potted hough, or in Glasgow slang, Potted Heid. The butchers shops sell it in little jelly mould shaped containers and I love it! specially spread thickly on hot buttered toast, yum!

I've never tried heart simply because I've never been around when somebody has cooked it, but I'd lay bets that I'd enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhype View Post
I love oxtail soup. Actually any cookbook covering typical dishes from the area where i grew up has a oxtail soup recipe... which usually is pretty similar to the English version.. but no surprise here, it's origins go back to the French Revolution... Don't like tongue though. One of the few things i'm avoiding. Had it once on a French fiesta, grilled ...

I've never made homemade haggis I'm afraid, and I actually don't know anyone who has. We buy them at the butcher shop or at the supermarket, already made. It would be very fussy and time consuming to make them I think, like sausage making. So I'll take the easy road and buy it ready made
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #31
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just remembered another thing I enjoy occasionally, black pudding. You might know it as blood pudding or blood sausage. Its very good fried in slices and eaten with a full cooked breakfast of sausage, bacon, fried eggs, potato scones, fried tomato and mushrooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black pudding.JPG (15.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #32
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Haggis is delicious, spicy and peppery. Almost anyone who says its horrible has never tasted it, don't knock it til you've tried it!

Will add any more as I think of them!
I love haggis. We had some delicious haggis while in Scotland, on a nice cold rainy Sunday at a nice little place called the Cluanie Inn. A nice big plate of haggis, complete with "tatties and neeps" made my Burtimus' day. I had a taste or two, but settled on a big ol baked potato filled with beef curry. Since then, Burtimus has made haggis a couple of times and it's been delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
You are right about eating eat on bread other than whole wheat. I just love the stuff - and horseradish on it is good too. I also love chicken livers just as much.
Hey Sandie, maybe you can answer this. What's the difference between liverwurst and braunschweiger? They seem to be the same to me and I like them both, although I think braunschweiger is a little spicier. Do you know the official difference?

Quote:
Just remembered another thing I enjoy occasionally, black pudding. You might know it as blood pudding or blood sausage. Its very good fried in slices and eaten with a full cooked breakfast of sausage, bacon, fried eggs, potato scones, fried tomato and mushrooms.

Ruby, I ate black pudding in Scotland when we had an official Scottish breakfast at our B&B in Edinburgh. I loved it -- until I found out what was in it. After that? Not so much. But that first taste was delicious.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #33
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

What does black pudding taste like? I love liver, but am a bit afraid of trying it. There's an Irish pub/cafe (it was a former Irish lesbian bar) that serves a full traditional breakfast complete with black & white pudding. Does it have an acquired taste? I hate most offal except for the afterforemntioned liver.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #34
EbonySSBBW
California Dreams

EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EbonySSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I would have to say chitterlings or as my family says....chitlins. I only have them every other year or so but I love them. I wouldn't eat them from just anyone though. I have only eaten my mom's because I know that she cleans them properly. They are best when they are hot...they just melt in your mouth. Yum!

This picture was taken back at Christmas.

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts" Marcus A. Antoninus

"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would be this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high. Look it squarely in the eye, and say, I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me" Ann Landers
EbonySSBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #35
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySSBBW View Post
I would have to say chitterlings or as my family says....chitlins. I only have them every other year or so but I love them. I wouldn't eat them from just anyone though. I have only eaten my mom's because I know that she cleans them properly. They are best when they are hot...they just melt in your mouth. Yum!

This picture was taken back at Christmas.
I would enjoy chitlins if I could only get over the smell of them during cooking
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #36
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
What does black pudding taste like? I love liver, but am a bit afraid of trying it. There's an Irish pub/cafe (it was a former Irish lesbian bar) that serves a full traditional breakfast complete with black & white pudding. Does it have an acquired taste? I hate most offal except for the afterforemntioned liver.
Hmmm it doesnt taste like anything else I can think of. It isn't a strong flavour at all, not like liver or kidney or anything. It has a nice texture, softish inside slightly crisper on the outside. It's just nice! I can't see there is anything about the taste or texture that would put a person off eating it. Please try it, Im sure you'd like it! I've never tried white pudding, its more popular Edinburgh way, I believe its okay too, made with suet and oatmeal I think. I love fruit pudding, which is suet with raisins and sultanas, thats my fave!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #37
Nastya_Loves

Nastya_Loves can now change their title
Talking

Ok after i post that ur gonna think Im crazy lol!!!! but its delicious, and u gott try it!!!! ur gonna love it!!! n.n

I always eat it on sundays, lol, I mix two of my favorite things!!

Bananas (the sweetest ones u can find), and devil ham (this is your face right now O.o >.< ewww... xD)

Its delicious, the bananas are so sweet and when u mix hem with the devil ham *o*... u gotta try them lol

Only two of my friends did it, and they love it it!!!! xD... the other ones were too afraid xD
Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #38
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Boudin and grits. I like black pudding too, but boudin is spicier.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #39
Frankie
No longer a member

Frankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFrankie is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I love liverwurst, Vickie. I put it on Westphalian pumpernickel with some good Gerrman mustard.

As for the difference between braunschweiger and liverwurst, I believe the former is usually smoked.

The wursts of my youth:

- Liverwurst
- Blutwurst
- Weisswurst/Bockwurst
- Bratwurst
- Knockwurst
- Pinkelwurst
- Touristenwurst
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #40
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love mutton --when I was little my Grandmother would fix it for all of her grandbabies. She'd put it on sandwiches with pickles and mustard (maybe some chopped onion) and we would eat it just like that. And I still love it...but the only time I eat it is when we are down south.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #41
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

I have several friends who make spinach stew with oxtails in it...and I love it, so I'm sure I'd like oxtail soup.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #42
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just read this thread title as Foods You Like to Eat With People You Can't Stand
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #43
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Hey Sandie, maybe you can answer this. What's the difference between liverwurst and braunschweiger? They seem to be the same to me and I like them both, although I think braunschweiger is a little spicier. Do you know the official difference?
There is not much difference between the 2 but braunschweiger is smoked and more easily spreadable.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 AM   #44
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear View Post
I just read this thread title as ...
Foods you like to eat at other people's microphone stand
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #45
panhype
Apréslist

Quote:
I've never made homemade haggis I'm afraid, and I actually don't know anyone who has. We buy them at the butcher shop or at the supermarket, already made. It would be very fussy and time consuming to make them I think, like sausage making. So I'll take the easy road and buy it ready made
I can see that.

Another extremely polarizing dish which i love is haggis' Palatinate arch rival sow's stomach (Saumagen). Of course it's the word alone that gives many (non-Palatinates) the eeek thought. However the stomach serves just as a casing and you don't eat it. Former chancellor Helmut Kohl used to introduce his foreign visitors to the dish, in restaurants having 1000 Michelin stars (or so) Anyway, when friends from the Palatinate are visiting me they always come with a sealed saumagen - they know i'd otherwise show them the red card This Wiki article is well written BTW, i'd doubt though that Saumagen is a Palatinate invention. Italian girls visiting me once told that it's not an untypical dish in some Italian areas. So i'd think its origin dates back to the Romans.
P1100127_Saumagen-Jan2006_750SW.jpg
Simmered inside the sealing

P1100130_Saumagen-Jan2006_750SW.jpg
That's what you get inside. Sorry 'bout the poor presentation, dem boys were hungry after already sitting there for a while lol
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
Catkin

Catkin can now change their title

Quote:
Mmmm haggis!! In fact, mmm oxtail too! My Dad occasionally makes us proper oxtail soup in the winter....it's very warming and yummy! I also like blue steak; most people I've met have never even heard of it, let alone tried it!

We also occasionally have hearts, stuffed with pearl barley and root veggies I think, then roasted in some kind of tomatoey sauce. I'll have to ask for the recipe for my new house next year, but I doubt I'll be allowed to cook them; all my friends (several are going to be living with me) think that they sound horrible. Bah!

One of the nicest things I've had in the past few years was called gésiers - preserved duck's stomach. We tried it in France when we went there on holiday. It's really nice served warm in a salad!
Catkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #47
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Never tried haggis, but panhype that pic looks very nice...and appetizing...I may do it one day.

I, too, love liverwurst but with mayo, never with mustard...might try that tomorrow.

I love cracklins, but can't have it alot due to my jaw, and the crunch just kills me lol. Sometimes, I take a pain killer to eat them. hahaha you need to seek help when you have to drug yourself to eat something lmao!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #48
panhype
Apréslist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Never tried haggis, but panhype that pic looks very nice...and appetizing...I may do it one day.
From what i saw on Wiki etc the saumagen gets stuffed with rather more 'mainstream' ingredients compared to haggis, like pork haunch (??), ground meat, potatoes, onions and lots of herbs. There is even a vegetarian version filling it with chestnuts.

Only once i made one myself. Bought the cleaned/ready-to-use stomach from the butcher (very cheap) and stuffed it... When it is filled you have to stitch it up perfectly (anything beyond re-adjusting a button is challenging me LOL) Imagine the stomach then has to be seared at 160 F for 2 hours. And it will built up a lot of pressure - this is an ancient technique of a pressure cooker applied here
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #49
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
I can see that.

Another extremely polarizing dish which i love is haggis' Palatinate arch rival sow's stomach (Saumagen). Of course it's the word alone that gives many (non-Palatinates) the eeek thought. However the stomach serves just as a casing and you don't eat it. Former chancellor Helmut Kohl used to introduce his foreign visitors to the dish, in restaurants having 1000 Michelin stars (or so) Anyway, when friends from the Palatinate are visiting me they always come with a sealed saumagen - they know i'd otherwise show them the red card This Wiki article is well written BTW, i'd doubt though that Saumagen is a Palatinate invention. Italian girls visiting me once told that it's not an untypical dish in some Italian areas. So i'd think its origin dates back to the Romans.
Attachment 22488
Simmered inside the sealing

Attachment 22489
That's what you get inside. Sorry 'bout the poor presentation, dem boys were hungry after already sitting there for a while lol
That looks absolutely delicious, thankyou for posting the pics here! Im sure Id love it, and yes it looks more "mainstream" ingredients than haggis lol, kind of like a meatloaf really.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #50
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
From what i saw on Wiki etc the saumagen gets stuffed with rather more 'mainstream' ingredients compared to haggis, like pork haunch (??), ground meat, potatoes, onions and lots of herbs. There is even a vegetarian version filling it with chestnuts.

Only once i made one myself. Bought the cleaned/ready-to-use stomach from the butcher (very cheap) and stuffed it... When it is filled you have to stitch it up perfectly (anything beyond re-adjusting a button is challenging me LOL) Imagine the stomach then has to be seared at 160 F for 2 hours. And it will built up a lot of pressure - this is an ancient technique of a pressure cooker applied here
You get my mind going lol...I have some time off..after my lunch kids..and I may try to make this and get my dad to taste it first lmao!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote