Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 07-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
Neen
Free Spirit

Neen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Capers! i throw some capers in with spagetti, parmesan cheese, and some oil. Delish!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #52
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
My dad ate all kinds of weird things -- head cheese (which wasn't cheese and I can only imagine what part of the animal it came from)
This got me curious, since my mom grew up eating headcheese, too. I found this:

Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagimawr View Post
YES! I can eat a can of this in one sitting, although it's too expensive for me to get very often. When I was very young, mom would get each of us a can for family vacations, and I'd try very hard to make mine last the trip. I had too much fun making designs on my crackers, though, and usually ended up eating it all after only a few days.

After reading this thread, I realize I'm a lot pickier food-wise than I thought I was.

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #53
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Just remembered another thing I enjoy occasionally, black pudding. You might know it as blood pudding or blood sausage. Its very good fried in slices and eaten with a full cooked breakfast of sausage, bacon, fried eggs, potato scones, fried tomato and mushrooms.
It looks like Hickory Farms' summer sausage or beef stick to me
Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #54
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Anchovies...not even the cats want to eat them with me, so I guess I will just have to invite AFG over for a snack session.

I was going to mention pork cracklins and see that Brandi did already. Love them. Love the cornbread made with them in it. Also love pork rinds..but the boy thinks they stink so I have to eat them away from him and away from the house.

Pickled bologna, vienna (v-eye-een-eee) sausages, potted meat, and liver cheese (have mentioned this one here before and I don't know if it is a KY thing or not...it is lunch meat sold by in the cold meat section at the store, not sure what it is exactly).

Oh and mayo on saltine crackers. We ate it all the time at home..but my friends find it kind of disgusting. At one of the restaurants here serves saltines with a slab of butter instead of bread.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #55
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyJoy View Post
This got me curious, since my mom grew up eating headcheese, too. I found this:

Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.
Thanks, Joy. I now feel even better about never even trying the stuff -- I remember it was the gelatinous bits that freaked me out as a kid. Of course, I'm sure if I knew what was in half the stuff I eat I wouldn't touch it. For instance, I used to love chorizo -- until I found out what's in it. I'm sorry but salivary glands and lymph nodes just don't do it for me. *gack*

Oh and hey, am I the only one who's gaga over olive loaf? I think it's delicious and definitely reminds me of my childhood.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #56
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
Anchovies...not even the cats want to eat them with me, so I guess I will just have to invite AFG over for a snack session.
Yeehaw! I'm always on the look out for fellow anchovy on pizza lovers. We're small in number.

And yes, I love them so much, they have pretty much always been on my palate and the only meat I had eaten during my first 3-5 years of vegetarianism. THAT's how dedicated I am to the little salty bastards.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #57
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Thanks, Joy. I now feel even better about never even trying the stuff -- I remember it was the gelatinous bits that freaked me out as a kid. Of course, I'm sure if I knew what was in half the stuff I eat I wouldn't touch it. For instance, I used to love chorizo -- until I found out what's in it. I'm sorry but salivary glands and lymph nodes just don't do it for me. *gack*

Oh and hey, am I the only one who's gaga over olive loaf? I think it's delicious and definitely reminds me of my childhood.
No Way!! I am gaga over olive loaf too!
There are not many delis in Seattle that sell it, at least none that I can get to. I noticed that Safeway sells the prepackaged Oscar Meyer brand but it is outrageously expensive!

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #58
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

[QUOTE=panhype;491950] Italian girls visiting me once told that it's not an untypical dish in some Italian areas. So i'd think its origin dates back to the Romans.

A lot older than that! In Book XVIII of the Odyssey, Homer (c. 750 BC) mentions "a goat's paunch, filled with blood and fat" as a dish being prepared for a banquet. Not exactly saumagen, but a close relative!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #59
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked View Post
No Way!! I am gaga over olive loaf too!
There are not many delis in Seattle that sell it, at least none that I can get to. I noticed that Safeway sells the prepackaged Oscar Meyer brand but it is outrageously expensive!
See? I knew you were cool. And yeah, I get the Oscar Meyer stuff occasionally, but as you say it's ridiculously expensive. My son also likes it and when he was about three he'd call it "olive lope". So cute.

I like it rolled up with a slice of cheese and a very thin smear of Miracle Whip. Tasty!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #60
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Ha.. at first i thought with 'olive load' a special kind of bread is meant. But then ... "rolled up" ... ok, found it
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #61
fatgirlflyin
needs a vacation

fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!fatgirlflyin keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

I love olive loaf, I dont have it very often cuz I'm the only one in the house that will eat it LOL!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #62
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
A lot older than that! In Book XVIII of the Odyssey, Homer (c. 750 BC) mentions "a goat's paunch, filled with blood and fat" as a dish being prepared for a banquet. Not exactly saumagen, but a close relative!
Blood + fat Better it is they've replaced that
Old 07-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #63
cactopus
Baconator

cactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Just remembered another thing I enjoy occasionally, black pudding. You might know it as blood pudding or blood sausage. Its very good fried in slices and eaten with a full cooked breakfast of sausage, bacon, fried eggs, potato scones, fried tomato and mushrooms.
Oh YeS!!!

Though I prefer white puddings mostly... black is yummy... I found a recipe for black pudding lasagne... it was ok but way too rich...

I love British, Irish, and Scottish sausages.

Now I'm craving bangers... *shakes fist in the air*
Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #64
cactopus
Baconator

cactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot picscactopus does more than just post hot pics

Quote:

Ehh... I still love good Mexican Chorizo... I'd love to try the Goan/Portuguese style which incorporates a lot of the Indian Vindaloo touches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorizo
Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #65
cactopus
Baconator

Quote:
Yes, tongue!! LOL I love it, it's sooo delicious. We know it as ox tongue. But do you just slice the tongue like that? My granny always boiled the tongue, then peeled and de-boned it...
Silly wabbit... tongues don't have bones!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #66
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

OK Vickie this is weird cause I love olive loaf too! But I also like Head cheese. And pickled pigs feet. And Sardines right out of the can. And Chicken and turket gizzards - my mom made soup out of them when I was a kid.

Quote:

Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #67
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Winter squash. Can't get the man to eat it no how.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #68
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_Zitkus View Post
The other day, I bought something at the supermarket I haven't had in years, and cooked it yesterday morning - a beef tongue:

This is one of the tastes from my childhood. In fact, we had tongue quite often for Sunday dinner in the Late '50s and Early '60s, back when my mother was a stay-at-home mom and money was tight.

I know a lot of people can't stand tongue. Including Sandie. I'll be slicing this one up for sandwiches. (Back in the '70s, I used to go out to lunch on paydays with the guys I worked with - many times, we'd go to a local diner that had tongue sandwiches on the menu. I guess I ordered it a lot, because one time we were looking at the menus and the guy who drove said "Wayne, if you order tongue again, you're walking back to the office!")

How about you? Are there and foods that YOU like that other people think are strange?

Oh, there is something about that that I just cant get my head round, I would find it really hard to slice. The thought of it makes me shiver. I am sure it tastes delicious, and if I was stranded on a deserted island full of cows with big tongues I would get over it, but until then

I love squid, in all forms and my sister cannot stand it. If it is on the menu, I am bound to get it. Yum!

Last edited by Red; 03-21-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #69
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
OK Vickie this is weird cause I love olive loaf too! But I also like Head cheese. And pickled pigs feet. And Sardines right out of the can. And Chicken and turket gizzards - my mom made soup out of them when I was a kid.
We mustn't forget the not-so-distant relative of olive loaf - pickle and pimento loaf. We had them a lot when I was a kid - I guess that was because they were the lower-priced cold cuts....
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM   #70
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

*hangs head* There is something about white bread & potted meat product that I just love...with an icy cold Coke.

I don't eat it very often because I'd hate to turn into Lot's wife...but still once in a while it takes me back to lunch with my Dad.
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #71
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Calamari!! If it's one the menu I order it - every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Oh, there is something about that that I just cant get my head round, I would find it really hard to slice. The thought of it makes me shiver. I am sure it tastes delicious, and if I was stranded on a deserted island full of cows with big tongues I would get over it, but until then

I love squid, in all forms and my sister cannot stand it. If it is on the menu, I am bound to get it. Yum!
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #72
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love neck bones and fried chicken gizzards....YUMMERS

I love when my mom boils up some neck bones..makes a pot of fresh black eyes and a pan of corn bread..OMG..heaven
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #73
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactopus View Post
Silly wabbit... tongues don't have bones!

http://www.paula-wolfert.com/recipes/tongue.html

http://www.therecipebox.com/members/...at/mea0045.htm

http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/tongue-espanole.html

Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #74
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
Calamari!! If it's one the menu I order it - every time.

oooh love it !! Except when its canned and slimy with tentacles
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #75
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
oooh love it !! Except when its canned and slimy with tentacles
Hee hee, oh yes, I remember your post about the horrors of canned squid.
I would have probably eaten that, it may have been better deep fried in a salt a pepper batter though!
Red is offline   Reply With Quote