Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 09-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Bluestreak

Bluestreak can now change their title
Default How about a spell check function?

Hi Conrad-

Great stuff with the new board. The format seems like others I frequent, and that is where my question comes.

Is it possible to have a spell check function for posting? Poor spellers by birth (and un-changed by 10 1/2 years of Catholic school education!) could REALLY use it.

I think there is a add-on that uses the dictionary from MS Word (installed on most machines) to do spell check, so the app is quite small. I am sure ther is someone here who has a better idea about it than I do...

Bluestreak
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Truebrit
On Timeout

Truebrit has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak
Hi Conrad-

Great stuff with the new board. The format seems like others I frequent, and that is where my question comes.

Is it possible to have a spell check function for posting? Poor spellers by birth (and un-changed by 10 1/2 years of Catholic school education!) could REALLY use it.

I think there is a add-on that uses the dictionary from MS Word (installed on most machines) to do spell check, so the app is quite small. I am sure ther is someone here who has a better idea about it than I do...

Bluestreak
Y dooo wee nid a spill chuker
Truebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truebrit
Y dooo wee nid a spill chuker
Bee-kuz.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
HeatherBBW
Nerd-like.

HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!HeatherBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hehe... a grammar check.... spell check... I will take all the help I can get!
HeatherBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBBW
Hehe... a grammar check.... spell check... I will take all the help I can get!
Heather -

If you have Word on your PC, you can enter your posts there, run spell check, and then copy and paste onto this board.

I know what you mean - I'm a professional tech writer, and I still rely heavily on spell check and grammar check.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
Truebrit
On Timeout

Truebrit has said some nice things

sounds too long winded to me
Truebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truebrit
sounds too long winded to me
I wouldn't do it for short posts, but I would consider using that method for longer posts that you want to make sure are right.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #8
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Spell check may be wonderful but grammar check is for the birds. Although it will catch minor errors, Word's g.c. is fond of replacing every single comma with a semi-colon. People can always type and proofread their messages in a wordprocessing program.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
Rubybbw

Rubybbw can now change their title

Quote:

I would really, really appreciate a spell check. I hate to get out of the board to go to word, type it up, do a spell check, get back to the post, etc., etc.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Ruby
Rubybbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

I always just use word if I want to double check a post.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:42 AM   #11
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Hey Bluestreak

Try

http://www.iespell.com/

if you use IE and it is free for personal use.

William

Quote:
Hi Conrad-

Bluestreak
William is offline   Reply With Quote