Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Pictures of your home town *picture heavy*

Everyone should post a few photographs of their home town!

Go! I'll start

To me the first picture is how I veiw my home town. Grey, rough, bleak, depressing.

The rest is what the tourists see, or what they want you to see.

Last edited by Emma; 12-28-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
r-nadiv

Location: Here, there. East Coast part-time, Europe the rest.
r-nadiv has said some nice things

Here's home:

Here's homestead:

Here's now:
r-nadiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
LarryTheShiveringChipmunk

LarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticedLarryTheShiveringChipmunk never has a post go unnoticed

heres some taken a few weeks back in the snow

and some non snow ones

and one from a park nearby

and me and the Grimace
Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
dreamer72fem
hmmm....

dreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 clubdreamer72fem is a member of the 500 club

well I live in a small town in michigan, US. You first two have such lovely pics of your towns...but there isnt much here to take a pic of...lol. But here it goes:
One was taking out my computer window this past fall...and one a few weeks ago. And other from downtown.
Stacey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2003-2.jpg (41.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2002-2.jpg (55.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2013-2.jpg (61.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1938-2.jpg (64.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg backyard-2.jpg (70.9 KB, 141 views)
dreamer72fem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

These are a few collected from my area, this thread is fun!

Old 12-29-2005, 02:24 AM   #6
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm from Staten Island orignally but now I'll post photos of my new "adopted" hometown. Photos courtesy of a google image search and forgotten-ny.com

Old 12-29-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This one was shot outside my door one recent evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg hometown1.jpeg (28.0 KB, 838 views)
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Weymouth/Boston, MA Improper

Snow Storm Out My Front Door

Perverted Sign in Window

Sign Noone Obeys

Our Fine Subway System

Police Riots During the Red Sox World Series Game

Fourth of July at the Hatch Shell

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I only have one picture of my home town...Defiance Ohio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defiance.jpg (36.3 KB, 725 views)

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

These are such awesome pictures I dont have any pics of my small town at the moment but i'll work on it.. i have non-digital pics (taken during my art photography class). Not a real exciting town. There is some interesting turn of the 20th century architecture though.
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #11
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default lexington

downtown:

not downtown:

mayor:
Old 12-29-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
r-nadiv

Location: Here, there. East Coast part-time, Europe the rest.
r-nadiv has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie
mayor:
For real?

(Looks like we ought to get her to grace these pages.)

Nice town. Nice downtown. Really nice not-downtown.

Thx.
r-nadiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-nadiv
For real?

Thx.
Grins - well while she is a healthy girl.. I think it was more the layering and the big coat more than anything. I sent ya a pm with a link.

I am a big fan of hers politically, but on a personal level as well. She is dedicated to civil rights and civil responsibility. I was downtown taking pictures of the Mardi Gras parade and saw her leaving work, she is just so unpretentious which is saying a lot for a southern politician.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #14
T'Rina / MsXXL
T'Rina

T'Rina / MsXXL can now change their title
Default Boise Idaho (yes I have heard the jokes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm
Everyone should post a few photographs of their home town!

Here are some of Boise

The first 2 I took in downtown Boise

These are from different sites
Boise Skyline at night

During the Day

Boise State University's famous "Smurf Turf"

The ski resort above the town

And the Boise River
Old 12-29-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Little Rock is such a diverse city..so much that I love about it....

the state capitol building....

where I work...

downtown Little Rock...

the Clinton library... (pretty in it's own way, in spite of the fact that it looks like an extra-long trailer house...but hey, this is Arkansas )

one of my favorite places to hang out with my daughter..the River Market downtown...

Historic Central High School...

The Historic Old Mill....a nice place for a relaxing walk...
or a snowball fight....

Then there are sights like these...

that make Arkansas a nice place to live!

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

But, here is where I'm *really* from...

JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:05 AM   #17
EtobicokeFA
Proud FA

EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EtobicokeFA has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Here my hometown of Toronto, ON

Here a couple of shots of the CN tower.

toronto_03.jpg

toronto_06.jpg

Some of the art work you find in the city.

toronto_02.jpg

And, here is a great shot of bluffers park.
waterfront_056_500.jpg

And, here is a usually winter in the city.
022021.jpg

Enjoy!

"Health is not a body weight, it's a measure of fitness."
EtobicokeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #18
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default das boot

This is what I see every morning (minus of course the two biggest towers on the left), though it's generally a bit sunnier. Nice to have all that mess, but at a comfortable distance.

As for Blackpool, it's a strange place. I had fun visiting, but I see how you could lose your mind growing up there. I guess it was no accident that Mike Leigh made it the hometown of the most dire character in Working Girls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (32.4 KB, 496 views)
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres huevos

As for Blackpool, it's a strange place. I had fun visiting, but I see how you could lose your mind growing up there. I guess it was no accident that Mike Leigh made it the hometown of the most dire character in Working Girls.
I'm surprised you know of the place, nevermind been here! lol Yes, I lost my mind a long time ago. Blackpool is probably to blame! I've not seen working girls lol
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #20
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Suburban Salt Lake City

What a fun thread!!

These are all taken by me or my hubby with the exception of the LDS/Mormon temple:

View from our front porch(darn construction!):

Views of the back yard:

Just about two blocks away (this one was stolen off some website):

All within an hour, most in the SLC Valley:

Great Salt Lake:

Mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon:

In LIttle Cottonwood Canyon:

The West Desert:

View from a ghost town called "West Dip":

Sri Sri Radha Krisha Temple (apparently not everyone 'round here is Mormon!):
Old 12-30-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat
What a fun thread!!

Sri Sri Radha Krisha Temple (apparently not everyone 'round here is Mormon!):
That temple is absolutely stunning.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #22
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not much to say about the town I live in -- Santa Maria. Its big (unfortunate) claim to fame is that it's where the Michael Jackson trial was held. You can see a bit of it, below:
Here and Here.

Many of the buildings have the terra cotta roofs, and there is a pretty good diversity of trees and plants here, but the town itself is boring. What I like is what is *near* my town.

Oceano Beach on an overcast day. What's cool about it is that you can drive on a large stretch of it, so it makes it nice for those who have trouble walking on the soft sand. You can park near the water and walk a bit and find shells and such -- get your feet in the water. It's also a great place to park at night and neck to the sound of the surf and the glow of the moon.
Here.

On a sunny day:
Here.

Shell Beach right after xmas last year, just after the tsunami (which is why the seas are a bit tempestuous). There are cliffs with homes overlooking it -- they call the area Dinosaur Caves, because of all of the caves that one can explore below -- during low tide, of course. Biggie took this one.
Here.

The same general area, on a nicer day
Here.

My car right across the street from that cliff, to give an idea of the area.
Here.

Further down the coast, on a bay,
Here.

Anyway, you get the idea. There is gorgeous coast, with each beach having a different feel -- from wild and untamed to more touristy. I love this area and never tire of the ocean.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus

Last edited by Tina; 12-31-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #23
Aliena

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-nadiv
For real?

Thx.
Hey Jamie,

I thought I'd add to your pictures, since we live in the same city, and add the downtown water fountains!! This is the night of the Styx/REO Speedwagon concert!! I just love the fountains...they really give Lexington charm.

I just love this picture of Mike (my hubby, to the curious), it show's the fountains beautifully!!

I only wish that these pictures could have been taken with my new digi-cam. I was using one of those disposable camaras and it doesn't have as good as clarity as I would have liked.
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #24
ataraxia

ataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this boardataraxia carries a lot of weight on this board
Default The Burgh

My city is famous for bridges, of which it has more than any other in the US; rivers, which cause many of the bridges; and crazy terrain, which causes the rest.

Point State Park, where the rivers come together:

Monongahela Incline, which is how you get up Mt. Washington:

View from Mt. Washington, at the top of the Incline:

Some funny-looking buildings, the one on the left is the PPG building:

Carnegie Mellon University, where I work:
Old 01-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
altered states
seņor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Dubh Linn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEm
I'm surprised you know of the place, nevermind been here! lol Yes, I lost my mind a long time ago. Blackpool is probably to blame! I've not seen working girls
It was the first (and last) time I tried cockles and I was shocked at how the beach is actually rockier and more uninviting than Long Island's north shore, where I spent a bit of my youth in my own (much smaller) tourist helltown. In New York we have our Blackpool equivalents, like the infamous nearby Jersey Shore and Coney Island before I was born (now it looks like Blackpool after a nuclear holocaust).

Blackpool doesn't feature prominently in CAREER Girls (not Working Girls - that movie features my current home of Staten Island, oddly enough), but Blackpool makes a cameo at the end. It's not Mike Leigh's best (that would be Naked or Life is Sweet) but as Woody Allen said, even a bad Leigh is pretty good. (ouch - sorry)

Last edited by altered states; 01-02-2006 at 02:16 PM.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote