Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #4076
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

Ghosteater....years ago when I was just learning to cook...I saw a show on PBS (Yan can cook) and he gauged the temp of his grease by putting a chopstick in the oil and if there were bubbles around the chopstick then your grease was hot enough. Since then I have found that "any" wooden implement will do. It also helps if your fish (or whatever) is at room or close to room temperature. And what someone else said about letting your grease come back to frying temp after you have cooked the first batch...and also don't crowd the pan.

I know I should have credited all advice others gave but I forgot all the names.. sorry.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #4077
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEater View Post
Thanks for the advice! I could even slice the filets down to Catfish Strips and it'd cook even faster. I think the problem I'm having is that I'm using a shallow-oil method. If the oil's shallow the moisture can supposedly escape without making the crust soggy. Needless to say it's not working. I think the pan is getting too hot but the oil isn't as hot as it needs to be so it sinks to the bottom and gets black from the heat. And since it has nowhere to float so it just sits there turning blacker and blacker, but the surrounding oil isn't hot enough to cook the inside. On top of all that I try to keep adjusting the temperature but I can't get a good read so it's all over the place.
You need to get a Deep Fry Stainless steel thermometer or probe thermometer with a clip.
It is the best way to deep fry in a pan. (Cast iron pan with walls that are at least 2-3" high or better yet, a 6 qt. dutch oven!)

A gas stove top is best. Electric is difficult to adjust the heat quickly.
Depending on the height of the pan...use a good inch or more or oil. Of course, far enough below the rim to keep the oil from spilling over and starting a fire.
Fire bad.
You need to get the oil to about *325-350˚* and keep it as close to that when frying. The temp will drop when you add the fillets, so you will need to adjust the temp accordingly. The thermometer is essential to monitor the temp! I like a digital thermometer that I can set my high and low temp. An alarm will tell me if the temp is out of the range I set. I find that fried foods get soggy when the oil is too cold or it sits with direct contact to a paper-lined plate to drain. It will start to steam. Rack it!

I use peanut oil. It has a high smoke point. (Peanut oil is more costly though) It can be filtered with cheesecloth when cool and reused several times if stored properly; saving you money down the line.

5-6oz fillets are a good size to fry.
Depending on the size of your pan you may fry only 2-3 pieces at a time to keep the pan from over-crowding and dropping the temp too low.
Turn the fish a few times. (I know this might seem weird, but do it)
Fish doesn't take that long to cook. (6 mins +/-) The fish is already dead, you don't need to kill it again by overcooking it!

Remove the fillets to a cooling rack set over a paper lined sheet pan to drain excess oil. Keep warm in a 200˚ oven if necessary.

Good luck!

*I like to keep the temp around 335˚ because it keeps the crust from getting to hard before the inside is cooked. It takes a touch longer, but doesn't make the piece greasy.

Last edited by vardon_grip; 10-21-2014 at 08:17 PM.
vardon_grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #4078
Max_

Max_ can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
Shrimp, spinach, and udon noodles with homemade stock. Perfect for this yucky rainy day.

Attachment 115988
Wow, nice pottery, where'd you get that?
Max_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #4079
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Today's breakfast

A classic French omelet with chopped scallions, a Portobello mushroom cap stuffed with cheese and bacon then broiled, and a little more bacon.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #4080
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Frito chili pie!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #4081
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Frito chili pie!
Rep given! Its been too long since I've had some frito pie
Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #4082
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

My favorite: Deviled eggs at 10 PM because why not.

x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #4083
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emnem0x View Post
]
Breakfast of Champions!

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #4084
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnwesson View Post
A classic French omelet with chopped scallions, a Portobello mushroom cap stuffed with cheese and bacon then broiled, and a little more bacon.

Yummy! Why is your bacon so perfect?? Baked?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #4085
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emnem0x View Post

Now I am craving deviled eggs! They look so good!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #4086
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just made my best batch of coquito ("little coconut"). First I made a tea with star anise, cloves, and cinnamon. After the tea cooled, I mixed it with evaporated milk, condensed milk (La Lechera), extra cinnamon, cream of coconut, coconut milk, Bacardi 151 (both bottles), and vanilla extract. It turned out awesome, but I made over a gallon. LOL

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #4087
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post

Just made my best batch of coquito ("little coconut"). First I made a tea with star anise, cloves, and cinnamon. After the tea cooled, I mixed it with evaporated milk, condensed milk (La Lechera), extra cinnamon, cream of coconut, coconut milk, Bacardi 151 (both bottles), and vanilla extract. It turned out awesome, but I made over a gallon. LOL
That sounds delicious!!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #4088
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!smithnwesson has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Yummy! Why is your bacon so perfect?? Baked?
SVS -

No, I microwave my bacon. (If it's good enough for Jacque Pepin, then it's good enough for me! ) I place it onto a paper towel and onto a plate. I cover it with a plastic dome thingie to keep from splattering grease all over the inside of the microwave.

I use Kroger's thick-sliced bacon. This was a particularly good batch.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #4089
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post

I'm sorry I'm out of rep because I really wanted to give you some 151 rep!

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #4090
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I got him for both of us.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #4091
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Kung Pao Chicken

I felt like having some Chinese food the other day so I decided to make one of the dishes I usually order when I go out.
Some chicken breast, diced onions, celery and carrots and a bit of mashed garlic and ginger were quickly sautéed in a wok and then some unsalted peanuts were thrown in at the end with some soy sauce, black vinegar, oyster sauce and red chilies.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #4092
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardon_grip View Post
Kung Pao Chicken

I felt like having some Chinese food the other day so I decided to make one of the dishes I usually order when I go out.
Some chicken breast, diced onions, celery and carrots and a bit of mashed garlic and ginger were quickly sautéed in a wok and then some unsalted peanuts were thrown in at the end with some soy sauce, black vinegar, oyster sauce and red chilies.
Much rep is sent.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #4093
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

I can't send him any rep now. That's not a bad photo for a cell phone.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #4094
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Chicken and cornbread dressing. So good!

Attachment 117947

Last edited by ConnieLynn; 12-22-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Bad phone photo. It has perfect brown, crispy peaks, not burned bits.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #4095
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_ View Post
Wow, nice pottery, where'd you get that?
Thanks, my mother is a professional potter, though semi-retired now at 75.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #4096
ConnieLynn
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
Frito chili pie!
I was just craving this!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #4097
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn View Post
I was just craving this!
I was too. It was so good! There are some hot dog pieces buried under there too...I couldn't decide between chili dogs or a frito pie. lol
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #4098
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

Late reply but trust me my deviled eggs are on point...
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #4099
smithnwesson
Drug dealer

Those deviled eggs gave me a

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m&defid=559455
Old 12-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #4100
Ms Charlotte BBW
Fantasy Land

Ms Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMs Charlotte BBW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

My son and I have been baking cookies all day! I think Santa will be pleased!
Ms Charlotte BBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, pictures