Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
puppy

puppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default What Goes Good with Cornbread?

I have a hankering for cornbread. What should I fix with it?

Considered chili - but don't want something so spicy.

Other ideas?

puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
swordchick
Deeeeeeeeeeeeez Nuts!

swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Barbecued meats, fried chicken.....geez, any kind of fried meat with gravy

Rest in peace, Cinda
and all the others that have passed.
We will miss you sweet angels.

swordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!
Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sometimes... I like to have creamed corn poured over my corn bread like gravy.

Or crumbled into my pinto beans..

Or baked in a loaf pan, and sliced like bread.. with butter and honey.. or jam..

Or as a side to a hot bowl of soup...
Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
MisticalMisty
Executive Member

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.
MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

neck bone
butter beans
navy beans
black eye peas
green beans
pinto beans
just a big greasy pan with some butter
stew
greens*which I don't eat..lol*
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
prettyssbbw

prettyssbbw does more than just post hot picsprettyssbbw does more than just post hot picsprettyssbbw does more than just post hot pics
Default yum

Cornbread goes good with pinto beans. Or i loooove to just eat it plain fresh out of the pan.Split open with melted real butter in the middle.
prettyssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!
Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Butter and honey.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Fried chicken, cole slaw, cream gravy.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
MisticalMisty
Executive Member

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
Fried chicken, cole slaw, cream gravy.
sorry Sandie..lol..as a gravy purist..I'll have to disagree with you.

Gravy only goes on biscuits, fried potatoes, chicken fried steak, fried chicken, or white bread.

NO GRAVY ON CORN BREAD..lol

ETA. My family..again..not me...will sometime make a pan of cornbread..and crumble it up into a cup of buttermilk.

Totally disgusting if you ask me..lol..but my Nana loved it.

Last edited by MisticalMisty : 07-22-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #9
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well traditional or not I like to dip my cornbread in a nice spicey creamy gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post
sorry Sandie..lol..as a gravy purist..I'll have to disagree with you.

Gravy only goes on biscuits, fried potatoes, chicken fried steak, fried chicken, or white bread.

NO GRAVY ON CORN BREAD..lol

ETA. My family..again..not me...will sometime make a pan of cornbread..and crumble it up into a cup of buttermilk.

Totally disgusting if you ask me..lol..but my Nana loved it.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 AM   #10
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!
Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!Mishty keeps pushing the rep limit!
Thumbs up

I love a nice sweet yellow corn bread with vegetable beef soup..
Growing up in Alabama, when times were hard(more often than not) Momma would make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup and Grandma Roxies' sweet cornbread recipe...we ate it for what seemed like days....she just made more cornbread to go with it. I always liked to add huge spoonfuls of butter to my soup and on my bread...

Beef Stew goes great conbread too....
And of course Pintos, like everyone has said, but just about any bean cooked right(and creamy) with a bit of pork thrown in would work!

Or you could make a big batch, and crumble it up real nice and make a good chicken and dressing
...and you're neither of them.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

I really prefer refried beans whipped onto a piece of cornbread. Also good: Slices of tomato and romaine.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

With real butter and jam!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Miss Vickie
Executive Member

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Butter and honey.
Oh yeah. Now that's how you eat cornbread!

I like it with black bean soup. I have a great recipe from The Moosewood Cookbook that I make that has buttermilk and honey in it, and it's sooo good. I make it into little tiny muffins which are easy to split and put butter and honey in without falling apart. Good stuff.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
steely
Master Member

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Corn bread and sweet milk It's a family thing!
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Butter and honey on the cornbread. Watermelon on the side. Think I'll have this for dinner with a salad.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
William
Banned

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Try BBQ

or

Gumbo

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post
I have a hankering for cornbread. What should I fix with it?

Considered chili - but don't want something so spicy.

Other ideas?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #17
wrestlingguy
No more Mr. Nice Guy

wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!

I typically serve cornbread along with some hot wings....it helps to temper the heat of the wings.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That butter and honey sounds pretty good. I've had it for breakfast with butter and maple syrup.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #19
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

A big glass of cold cold milk with the cornbread chunked up in it. Yum. We used buttermilk too, but I prefer the regular at this point. I also like cornbread for dessert with butter and strawberry preserves.

Green beans with new potatoes and salt pork and cornbread...mmmmmmmms.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #20
MisticalMisty
Executive Member

Ok..all you crazy jam and honey on cornbread eaters.

Please tell me you're talking about sweet cornbread..and not regular, baked in bacon grease corn bread..LOL
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 AM   #21
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Don't Eat?

Quote:
neck bone
butter beans
navy beans
black eye peas
green beans
pinto beans
just a big greasy pan with some butter
stew
greens*which I don't eat..lol*
The complementary food which forms a complete protein paired with cornbread is collared greens steamed in vinegar... very high in calcium which corn is not. Public school lunches in North Florida in the very early 60s left quite an impression... soul food despite the segregation... the okra was the awesomest...
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #22
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Ok..all you crazy jam and honey on cornbread eaters.

Please tell me you're talking about sweet cornbread..and not regular, baked in bacon grease corn bread..LOL
Seriously? I'll only eat the sweet kind.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #23
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

hm, with cornbread.

gin.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #24
LillyBBBW
Back from the dead

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadeianLinguist View Post
Seriously? I'll only eat the sweet kind.
I enjoy the sweet cornbreat with butter and jam. The other that you make in the frying pan on a stovetop is not sweet and a bit more course. We use it to make stuffing. Nectar of the gods!

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #25
ScreamingChicken
Master Member

ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ScreamingChicken has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've toyed around with the idea of adding sausage crumbles and shredded cheese to a pan of cornbread and serving with some scrambled eggs for breakfast. Maybe throw in some jalapenos oor diced onions for some depth.