Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Healthy Recipes

Please post your healthy recipes here.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

We found a great recipe for Pepper Lime Chicken in Sunset Magazine, that Guy and I love, and is definitely a healthy recipe.

Pepper Lime Chicken

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 limes (juiced) or 4 Tbls lime juice
1+1/2 Tbls ground pepper (I have also used lemon pepper)
1 Tbls Sugar (you may substitute Splenda)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1 Tbls Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in bowl, submerge 2 chicken breasts in liquid. Marinate in refridgerator (covered) for 30-45 minutes. Grill 4-5 minutes in each side and serve.

Last edited by Sandie S-R; 09-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
CuteyChubb
Queen of Hearts

CuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie S-R View Post
1 Tbls Sugar (you may substitute Spenda)
Your typo made me giggle, I think I'll call it that, since it is pricey...thanks for the recipe. Keep 'em coming folks. This fat gal needs all the help she can get!

:) Smile, JESUS loves you. (Even if you don't want him to. ;) )
CuteyChubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Vegetable Quinoa - As Requested

Vegetable Quinoa

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 14.5 ounce can vegetable broth
1/4 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
2 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a small nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, toast quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 14-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet sauté onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrot, broccoli, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes longer. Add the basil and pepper; cook and stir just until the vegetables are tender. Stir in quinoa; heat through.

Note from cook: I think I should have cooked the quinoa longer. Maybe the red variety needs a bit longer? In the recipe the regular is called for.
Note from me: I liked the crunchiness of her quinoa and wouldn't cook it longer.

Therefore, test the doneness and cook it to your liking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quinoa pilaf.jpg (112.8 KB, 261 views)
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hi, I'm lazy and don't do stuff that takess effort! One of my favorite things:

"Refried" beans:

Soak pintos overnight, a couple cups in eight cups of water. Drain off the water. Cook for two hours on low with a little salt and pepper, garlic, cilantro, cumin to taste.

Whip up in the blender or smash with a potato masher by hand. You can blend in cheese for taste. This will keep in the fridge for a few days or freeze for two months.

I really like this best with diced tomato and peppers, wrapped in a tortilla, but it's good spread on cornbread too, and it's a great addition to sandwiches in place of mayo.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

My favorite lately is just your favorite veggies steamed until tender but not mushy over brown rice or whole grain pasta. I either use just salt and lemon pepper or my favorite store bought pesto! Yummo!

Or I coat the veggies in a lemon sauce I make in a pan with some chicken stock - fresh lemon juice and some lemon rind with sugar to sweeten to your taste and thickened with corn starch. This is soooooo good.

Last edited by Sandie_Zitkus; 09-02-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I am thrilled to see that recipes have been posted! They all look really good. I'm definitely going to be making perhaps all of these when I'm at home in Montreal. Poor Eric doesn't really cook, and therefore, being busy and all, his diet really suffers and is lacking in good, fresh food. I'm going to take care of that one real quick. Each one of these sounds like something we would both like.

When it's warm out (and it is right now, as we usually have our real summer weather in august and september), I love various kinds of salads. This ie one that I like to make.

Tuna Pasta Salad

A box of whole wheat elbow pasta, (good stuff, and the larger elbows, too, not the dinky ones one would see in mac & cheese packages), cooked until al dente.

Put in strainer/collander and then run cold water through it thoroughly. Drain well and then stir just a tiny bit of olive oil through it so it doesn't stick.

1/4 of a sweet onion or purple onion, chopped the way you like it

About a cup or so of mayo -- I like Veganaise, and often also pair it with lowfat greek yogurt, as it's much healthier and still tastes good. You can also stir in a bit of ranch dressing mix, if you like, but not as much as you'd use to make the dressing, but probably about 1-1 1/2 Tbls worth.

A large jar of artichoke hearts, drained, and with the tough bits cut off.

Some black olives, if you like them (I'm not a fan).

Note: some variations are... sundried or fresh, seeded tomatoes, fire roasted red and yellow bell peppers (marinated in a jar is just fine), cucumbers, mushrooms, or whatever sounds good to you.

Two smallish cans of tuna. I buy mine from Trader Joe's because there is absolutely no preservatives in them, unlike the mainstream brands. I get one can of regular, and one can of salf-free and flake them both together in a bowl until there are a few largeish chunks, but it's not all large chunks and it's not all flaked out, either. A mix of both.

A bit of garlic powder, sea salt and/or pepper to taste. A nice, fresh grate of parmesean, asiago or romano is tasty, too.

Mix together and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Vegetable Quinoa

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a small nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, toast quinoa over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 14-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet sauté onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrot, broccoli, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes longer. Add the basil and pepper; cook and stir just until the vegetables are tender. Stir in quinoa; heat through.

Note from cook: I think I should have cooked the quinoa longer. Maybe the red variety needs a bit longer? In the recipe the regular is called for.
Note from me: I liked the crunchiness of her quinoa and wouldn't cook it longer.

YAY! My health-food-store-owning friends are tracking me down some red quinoa. I'm so excited!
Esme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme View Post
YAY! My health-food-store-owning friends are tracking me down some red quinoa. I'm so excited!
I tried to find some this past weekend and couldn't. My friend got hers from a friend in Florida. Good luck - I'll be curious to see what you think of it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Healthy? How about easy and delicious, too?

Squash Stew

Four cups water
Four medium potatoes diced and peeled
Large size can of undrained diced or crushed tomatoes (I have started using italian style canned tomatoes- OMG, it is divine!)
Four medium yellow squash cut up into slices (zucchini is okay too- or you can use squash and zucchini if you wish)
1 pound lean ground beef
Salt and pepper to taste

Make TINY meatballs out of the beef and brown them until thoroughly done. Add them to boiling water along with all the other ingredients. Simmer soup on medium heat until the taste of the meat blends well with the veggies (you will know by taste when it's done )

Enjoy!

**you can make your own variations of this stew- just add more of the listed veggies or add some others that you prefer- just add more water to accommodate the additions - you can't have too many vegetables

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

Okay, this has quinoa too. Not super healthy, but it's a good alternative to other types of cookie/sweet things as it's actually got oodles of vitamins. quinoa is one of the SUPER foods so I'm sure that cancels out the amount of sugar.

i'll be trying out that other quinoa recipe, looks yum!

1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup rice flour
3/4 quinoa flakes (you can buy 'em, they look like museli with the big bits out)
1/2 cup mixed chopped nuts.
add a bit of baking soda if you want them more chewy than crunchy

preheat oven to 175 C. beat honey sugar marg pb & vanilla until it's creamy. mix rice flour, quinoa flakes, and then add the honey mixture to that and beat until it's all blended. then put teaspoon-sized dollops on a baking tray and bake 'em for about 12-15 minutes until they're a gold/brown colour.

cool for about 1 minute.
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #12
Michelle
Member Schmember

If I ever find any quinoa, I'm going to try that, Lemmink. Looks good!

P.S. Re the recipe I posted -- I don't use non-stick pans because I own birds. If you have birds, never put their cages in the kitchen and also don't use non-stick cookware, as the fumes from it that we can't smell can kill birds (as can scented candles, air freshener, etc.). I figure this is okay to put on the health board as it's relating directly to the health of birds!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
mpls_girl26

mpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging inmpls_girl26 makes people happy simply by logging in
Default from Cooking Light

I've made this recipe MANY MANY times over the years and it is always a favorite. It's best made a day ahead and serve at room temperature. Perfect for Thanksgiving ( or any other big family get together) because it doesn't need to be hot. Very easy to double the recipe as well.

Carrots with Paprika and Capers

Ingredients

4 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 cup diced sweet onion
7 cups (1/8-inch) diagonally cut carrot (about 2 pounds)
1/2 cup water
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add paprika; sauté 30 seconds. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add carrot, water, and garlic; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until carrot is tender. Add capers, vinegar, and salt; uncover and cook 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with parsley.

Yield
8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 89(26% from fat); FAT 2.6g (sat 0.4g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 1.9g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 46mg; SODIUM 315mg; FIBER 4.3g;
mpls_girl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Vegetable Quinoa

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper

YUM-O, I've been looking for a good(read easy..lol) recipe for quinoa and this just might do the trick...thanks
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Vegetarian Crockpot chili

Veggie Crockpot Chili

One bag of Morningstar meat crumbles
one can black beans
one can kidney beans
one can diced tomatoes with chiles
one can no salt added diced tomatoes
lots of chili powder(I like it spicy but add less if you don't)
ground cumin
1 envelope onion soup mix

Mix all in a crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #16
Esme

Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Esme has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

There's a whole healthy snack thread that I started a while ago on the Foodee Board.

Just thought it might apply to this thread too.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=24325

No, I don't know how to change the link to words like you guys do... sorry
Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #17
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

Can I mention that bok choy is the world's most awesome vegetable? Here's a very easy little stir fry we do. But um, it includes lime, lemongrass soy sauce, so I don't know how easy that is to find. It's not really a home made meal but it's great for a quick meal, is filled with HEALTH and tastes delish:

Mushrooms
Yellow capsicum
Bok choy
Soba noodles.

Just chop up as much of the veggies as you want, fry them up with a slathering of soy sauce. Boil the noodles. Once they're ready, stick the noodles in the veggies, add more sauce, and HEY PRESTO: healthy dinner.

We had some pizza tonight which was amazing too, so I might suggest these toppings for a pizza:

thinly sliced sundried tomato
asparagus sliced
fried mushrooms and capsicum
olives
basil+garlic sauce (pasta topping)
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #18
Esme

Quote:
I tried to find some this past weekend and couldn't. My friend got hers from a friend in Florida. Good luck - I'll be curious to see what you think of it.
YAY! My friends were able to order me some, so I should have it by Friday, or Monday at the latest. I'm so excited!

It's also available from Amazon... I checked, but watch the sizes. I didn't want ten pounds of quinoa!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #19
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Quinoa online

http://www.homegrownharvest.com/quinoa.html

This is an amazing link - a wonserful book and eating plan and there are some really amazingly good recipes:

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/

Last edited by Sandie_Zitkus; 09-10-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This recipe came from a book called "Light and Healthy Recipes" my mom had years ago. It's tweaked a tiny bit and can be tweaked more to your liking as well. Go crazy and enjoy. I just made this last night. It's good.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

3 Cups vegetable juice (V8 or equivalent - I use low sodium)
2 Cups water
5 Cups finely chopped cabbage
2 Cups sliced carrots
1 small to medium onion chopped
1 Celery stalk chopped (I skip this - I HATE celery!)
2 Cups of chopped broccoli
1 12 oz can of diced organic tomatoes, drained
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tablespoons chicken bullion (I use reduced sodium)
1-2 Tablespoons of sugar to taste (optional - use Splenda or skip sugar/sweetener altogether)
2 chicken breasts (approximately)
Paprika
garlic
olive oil

In a large pot, mix together vegetable juice, water, cabbage, carrots, celery, broccoli, tomatoes, onion, black pepper, and bullion, bring to a boil then turn down heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste broth and decide if you want to add sugar or sweetener. In a separate skillet, cook chicken with a small amount of olive oil, add a tablespoon of garlic and sprinkle liberally with paprika. Cook to nearly done, then chop or shred chicken and add to soup. I usually sprinkle more paprika into the soup at this point. Allow to simmer an additional 15 minutes or so.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #21
Michelle
Member Schmember

Thanks Esme and Sandie.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #22
Esme

Quote:
Thanks Esme and Sandie.
Psst... *opens trench coat* Wanna buy some quinoa? I got the red kind. I can hook you up. You know you want it!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #23
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie S-R View Post
We found a great recipe for Pepper Lime Chicken in Sunset Magazine, that Guy and I love, and is definitely a healthy recipe.

Pepper Lime Chicken

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 limes (juiced) or 4 Tbls lime juice
1+1/2 Tbls ground pepper (I have also used lemon pepper)
1 Tbls Sugar (you may substitute Splenda)
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1 Tbls Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients (except chicken) in bowl, submerge 2 chicken breasts in liquid. Marinate in refridgerator (covered) for 30-45 minutes. Grill 4-5 minutes in each side and serve.
Everyone, this marinade is TO DIE FOR. I added minced garlic, and really, it's just out of this world. Am making it for the second time tonight!

Thanks for posting it, Sandie!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #24
Tina
Older and wiser now

Oh, that's good to know, Carrie. I wanted to make it while I was visiting Eric, but not being a citrus fan, he didn't sound too thrilled. But when I make it if I love it, he'll just have to live with it.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf View Post
Keep the healthy recipes coming! My new medicinal diet regimen is very strict, and rather blah!

60 carb limit per day
no wheat, soy, milk or cheese, or sugar
6 meals per day
5-8 dark green veggies
1 fruit, 1 nut or 1 yellow veggie

Are you allowed to have honey?
Can you take vitamin supplements?
I also do 6 meals a day
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote