Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community
Default Soup is good food

OK, it's after labor day, football season starts this week, and what that means to me is that it's SOUP SEASON!!! Yeah, well, so what that it was 92 degrees today, I love soup. I also need new recipes for this year's cooking and freezing. My current favorites include Pasta e Fagioli, French Onion, Beef Vegetable, Chicken Corn Chowder and Potato-Leek. But I need more!!!! I would love to see some recipes of your fave soups. Photos would be lovely too
Old 09-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Roasted Garlic Soup

I, too, love making soup. Yeasterday, it was rainy and cool in Seattle. Perfect for soup making.
I made roasted garlic soup. The recipe made a very small batch which my roommie and I determined would be best as an accompaniment to a steak and salad dinner but next time, I think I'll just double the ingredients.

ROASTED GARLIC SOUP

3 heads garlic
4 t. olive oil
1 T butter
1 yellow onion
2 t. fresh thyme leaves
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 - 14.5 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream

This recipe calls for 6 oz. chorizo sliced 1/4 inch thick. I've never seen 'hard' chorizo that could be sliced. Everytime I buy it, it turns to mush in the pan, albeit tasty mush.
I just deleted it as it's used mainly for garnish.

Heat oven to 400F, trim half inch off the stem end of the garlic heads revealing the cloves inside, using a sharp knife.
Loosely wrap each head in foil, drizzle each with a teaspoon of olive oil. twist the top of the foil to form a little pouch and place them directly on the middle oven rack and bake for 30-45 minutes. Remove and open pouches and allow garlic to cool 10-15 minutes.

Cut the onion in half and then slice and separate the rings.
Melt the butter in a large pot (at least 4 quarts) over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is translucent.
Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins and add them and the broth to the onion mixture. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and puree, in two batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Return the soup to the pot, add the cream and reheat just until slightly thickened (about 5 minutes). Serves 2-4.

If using chorizo: slice 1/4 inch thick, heat 1 t oil in a pan and fry the chorizo until crisp. Drain slices on a paper towel and reserve the chorizo oil.
When dishing soup, place a few slices on top and drizzle each serving with reserved oil.

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter

Last edited by sweetnnekked; 09-05-2007 at 11:38 AM.
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Double Cheese and Ham Chowder

3 tbls butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, chopped
4 slices bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled
1/4 lb ham, small cubed
3 cans sliced new potatoes (undrained)
1 can corn
2 cups water
2 tblspoons chicken bullion
1 jar American Spread (5 oz)
1 pk Cream Cheese (8 oz), cubed
flour to thicken, if desired

Melt butter in a dutch oven, and saute the onion, garlic and celery.
Add the bacon, ham, potatoes, potato water, corn, water, and buillion. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, add spread and cream cheese, and allow to melt, stirring occasionally.

I like to put a bottle of tabasco on the table, for additional kick.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Chicken Jambalaya

2 to 3 pound broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 pork sausage links
1 cup uncooked regular rice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 to 1/4 ground red pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can 16 oz stewed tomatoes, undrained
Fresh parsley

Remove skin from chicken. Place chicken, water, salt and pper in dutch oven. heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove chicken from broth, and skim fat and strain broth.

Cook pork sausage in dutch oven until brown. Drain fat reserving 1 tablespoon in dutch oven. Add chicken; stir in broth and remaining ingredients except parsley. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer until thickest pieces of chicken are done and rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

Serve with garlic bread.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Autumn Chowder

INGREDIENTS

• 2 bacon strips, diced (facon can be used)
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 medium red potato, cubed
• 1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup water
• 3/4 teaspoon chicken (or vegetable) bouillon granules
• 1 cup milk
• 2/3 cup frozen corn
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons cold water
• 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.
Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFO
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 473 calories, 30 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

All the recipes sound great -- okay, I admit that I've never had tomato soup, and I really want to try it...I hear it's great with grilled cheese sammiches.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
All the recipes sound great -- okay, I admit that I've never had tomato soup, and I really want to try it...I hear it's great with grilled cheese sammiches.
and hot buttered popcorn.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love soup. My four favorites are split pea and ham, potato soup (love when they garnish it with bacon, cheese and sour cream), black bean and lobster bisque.

Split Pea and ham recipe:

Drive to Quick Chek
Enter store
Go to soup area
Fill container with soup
Take all available crackers and a spoon
Pay lady at the register

ENJOY!
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
What?!?! Girl, you need to go out and get yourself a grilled cheese sandwich and a side of tomato soup tomorrow for lunch. I assure you that it'll be delicious!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Healthy Tomato Soup

INGREDIENTS

• 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
• 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
• 3 to 5 whole cloves
• 1 bay leaf

DIRECTIONS
In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Discard cloves and bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings.

If you feel like being naughty...add some cream!

NUTRITIONAL INFO
Nutritional Analysis: 1-1/4 cups equals 69 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 964 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
kr7

kr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticed

Sorry to yuck on everyone's yum, but I hate soup. My entire family loves the stuff, but no....not me. I guess I'm the only person in the world. You have no idea how strange it sounds to me to hear people say they like or even love it. I just can't get my head around that. I know...I'm a weirdo.

Chris
kr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post
What?!?! Girl, you need to go out and get yourself a grilled cheese sandwich and a side of tomato soup tomorrow for lunch. I assure you that it'll be delicious!
I am going to try it...it's just something I haven't really even thought about...sad, I know.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post
So far all the recipes look delicious, especially the Autumn Chowder, which I WILL be making next time I drag out the soup pot, thanks Brandi! I do have to say, though, as much as I love soup, I can't agree about the tomato soup. I just never liked it for some reason. Not even with a grilled cheese sammich. Nor am I a big fan of soup with seafood in it. Clam chowder to me is like a bowl of milk with balls of snot it in. Sorry.

It is cold here this weekend (Chicago) but I have been working too much to actually cook anything. Tuesday is my day off and there will be soup!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr7 View Post
Sorry to yuck on everyone's yum, but I hate soup. My entire family loves the stuff, but no....not me. I guess I'm the only person in the world. You have no idea how strange it sounds to me to hear people say they like or even love it. I just can't get my head around that. I know...I'm a weirdo.

Chris
While I'm one of the soup lovers.. you are not alone. I had roommates in college, and co-workers that were totally squicked at the thought of soup, stew, or anything cooked in the crock pot.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
gameguy

gameguy can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr7 View Post

Chris
You're not a weirdo. I know a lot of folks who don't like to eat soup. I don't think it's the taste of any particular soup, but rather the task of filling a spoon with assorted floating and sinking bits of food and then slurping it up.

I love soup myself. Some friends just brought me some homemade chicken soup after a recent surgery, and it was great.

Never underestimate the power of soup.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
Indy

Indy can now change their title
Default 15 min soup!

I like soup but sometimesI'm not into an long afternoon of cooking so I came up with this fast recipe:
Tortilini and spinich soup.
Heat a 1 quart box of low-soduim chicken stock in pan to barely boiling and
fresh (or frozen) tortilini and frozen chopped spinich.
Serve with grated Parm. Can also add left over chicken if you have it.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
I love soup. My four favorites are split pea and ham, potato soup (love when they garnish it with bacon, cheese and sour cream), black bean and lobster bisque.

Split Pea and ham recipe:

Drive to Quick Chek
Enter store
Go to soup area
Fill container with soup
Take all available crackers and a spoon
Pay lady at the register

ENJOY!
Split pea soup is unbelievably easy to make, all thick and creamy.

I love to make soup, though I usually cheat and use store-bought organic chicken broth (or organic beef or vegetable).

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #18
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I posted this on the health board on the healthy recipes thread, but thought I'd post it here too. It's the only soup I really make. I LOVE it. When I make it, I usually make a recipe and a half and eat it for the next several meals as well as freeze some for later. Oh and it's good cold! You can throw all the veggies you want in it. Go crazy.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

3 Cups vegetable juice (V8 or equivalent - I use low sodium)
2 Cups water
5 Cups finely chopped cabbage
2 Cups sliced carrots
1 small to medium onion chopped
1 Celery stalk chopped
2 Cups of chopped broccoli
1 12 oz can of diced organic tomatoes, drained
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tablespoons chicken bullion (I use reduced sodium)
1-2 Tablespoons of sugar to taste (optional - use Splenda or skip sugar/sweetener altogether)
2 chicken breasts (approximately)
Paprika
garlic
olive oil

In a large pot, mix together vegetable juice, water, cabbage, carrots, celery, broccoli, tomatoes, onion, black pepper, and bullion, bring to a boil then turn down heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste broth and decide if you want to add sugar or sweetener. In a separate skillet, cook chicken with a small amount of olive oil, add a tablespoon of garlic and sprinkle liberally with paprika. Cook to nearly done, then chop or shred chicken and add to soup. I usually sprinkle more paprika into the soup at this point. Allow to simmer an additional 15 minutes or so.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #19
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
While I'm one of the soup lovers.. you are not alone. I had roommates in college, and co-workers that were totally squicked at the thought of soup, stew, or anything cooked in the crock pot.
Squicked?

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnnekked View Post
Squicked?
You know.. squicked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy's Uncomplete Hastily Prepared Book of Unusual Words

squicked -skwīked-
- to make rapidly nauseated. The smell of that dead horse squicked me.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #21
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You know.. squicked!
same as "skeeved"
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #22
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default tomato meatball soup

It was supposed to be stuffed cabbage, but I had trouble rolling the cabbage. I just went "screw it" and made soup instead. not really a recipe, not really original but tasty. I feel a rachael ray influence (the horror!) in my soup. don't worry, it ain't stoup.
1 egg
1 1/2 large bottles of tomato juice
about 1 lb ground sirloin
brown rice (white if you prefer)
whatever veggies you like. I added carrots, onions, zucchini, broccoli
garlic !
various herbs/spices

I combined the meat, egg, rice and spice. combine, and make little meatballs. dice and saute veggies. add tomato juice, bring to a simmer and let meatballs cook for around 20 minutes or so. Skim off any fat that floats to the top. add herbs and spices. this soup tastes better the next day, so if you have the patience, let it sit in the fridge overnight.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
It was supposed to be stuffed cabbage, but I had trouble rolling the cabbage. I just went "screw it" and made soup instead. not really a recipe, not really original but tasty. I feel a rachael ray influence (the horror!) in my soup. don't worry, it ain't stoup.
1 egg
1 1/2 large bottles of tomato juice
about 1 lb ground sirloin
brown rice (white if you prefer)
whatever veggies you like. I added carrots, onions, zucchini, broccoli
garlic !
various herbs/spices

I combined the meat, egg, rice and spice. combine, and make little meatballs. dice and saute veggies. add tomato juice, bring to a simmer and let meatballs cook for around 20 minutes or so. Skim off any fat that floats to the top. add herbs and spices. this soup tastes better the next day, so if you have the patience, let it sit in the fridge overnight.
That sounds GREAT. When I made my stuffed cabbage it was better as a soup anyhow, cos I love the broth. This really sounds delicious.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #24
k1009
Cirque du Carnage

k1009 is a member of the 500 clubk1009 is a member of the 500 clubk1009 is a member of the 500 clubk1009 is a member of the 500 clubk1009 is a member of the 500 clubk1009 is a member of the 500 club

Thai chicken soup.

This is not really authentic but it's quick and easy and very yummy.

Poach two chicken breasts in water with a little soy sauce and garlic and ginger, when they're done slice finely and set aside. Next, soak some thin rice sticks in hot water for about 15 minutes, just enough to make them pliable. Then bring a litre or so of chicken stock to the boil, add more soy sauce, as much as you like, some chopped lemon grass, more ginger and garlic, a sliced hot chilli, finely chopped coriander and julienned vegies, I like carrot, zucchini, spring onions, celery, snowpeas and baby corn. If you like, add some shitake mushrooms at the end. Then put the chicken in to the soup, drain the noodles and add them and let it all boil together for about 5 minutes, just enough to bring all the flavours together. Garnish with coriander leaves, more chilli (if you like it), and finely sliced spring onions.

I make this often and it's super, super easy. It serves 2 or 3 depending on how much chicken you like and how much stock and noodles you add. I don't have measurements as I alter the quantity depending on how hungry I am, and whether or not I'm feeding anyone else. If you're planning on leftovers, don't add the rice sticks until you're about to eat as they soak up all the broth and turn it into a soggy noodle dish.
k1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #25
CandySmooch

CandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I have yet to be able to make a good soup. The best soup is from Jason's Deli - Cheddar Broccoli - so thick, hearty & creamy! I have yet to have it paralled by any other restaurant. Chili's Cheddar brocolli is a close 2nd, but all others have been gross. I've bought the dry packaged make at home soups thinking they'd taste more homeade then the canned junk........but nope still can't find a good one I'd make again so at home its Campbells Tomato or Progresso Homestyle Chicken Noodle.
CandySmooch is offline   Reply With Quote