Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #26
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandySmooch View Post
I have yet to be able to make a good soup. The best soup is from Jason's Deli - Cheddar Broccoli - so thick, hearty & creamy! I have yet to have it paralled by any other restaurant. Chili's Cheddar brocolli is a close 2nd, but all others have been gross. I've bought the dry packaged make at home soups thinking they'd taste more homeade then the canned junk........but nope still can't find a good one I'd make again so at home its Campbells Tomato or Progresso Homestyle Chicken Noodle.

Candy!!! Soup is so so easy!!! I was bored the other day, and leeks were on sale, so I made some leek and potato soup. I used canned chicken broth, since I didn't have time to make my own, and nothing more than fresh veggies and butter. This took a little more than an hour and a half, and the most time consuming thing is chopping the veggies. Don't fear the soup!!!

Leek and Potato Soup

3 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1/2 stick butter
3-4 leeks, well washed and chopped
8-10 medium red potatos, peeled and diced medium size
3 cans chicken broth
parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt and whole peppercorns to taste

In a large sauce pan, melt the butter and add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and leeks. Sweat the veggies till the leeks and onions are soft and translucent. Add the potatoes, herbs and peppercorns, saute for a moment so all the leeky goodness gets all over the potatoes. Add the broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer til the potatoes and carrots are cooked through. Serve with cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top.

If you want a more chowdery soup, add some corn and chicken to the pot with the broth, then just before serving, add some milk.

Very filling and delicious on a cold day.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #27
cnk2cav

cnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot pics

I think it's time for a resurrection of this thread. I'm craving chicken noodle soup, but I've never made it myself. Anyone have a good recipe for me? I'd really appreciate it.
cnk2cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #28
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, this is how I make a basic chicken soup.

First, into a pot goes:

* one whole chicken ( I remove most of the skin, but not all...also, remove the fat )
* big chunks of celery..carrots..onion..halved garlic cloves
* coarse black pepper..dried thyme leaves ( I use quite a bit )..some kosher salt..few healthy splashes Franks RedHot Sauce.

I let that boil unti it is done. If you are worried you are not cooking it enough you can extend the time, as the chicken will still be nice and soft and moist. Put a collander over a large bowl and dump the pot contents.

After the chicken has cooled a bit, I take all the chicken off the bones and toss it into the liquid. I will add some chicken broth, if I don't have enough liquid. I then toss in some medium thick slices of carrot and celery...more thyme...more garlic powder...fresh parsley. I put this back on the stove and gently boil until the veggies are cooked, but not mushy. I then toss in ( eyeball the amount ) some extra wide egg noodles. Cook until the noodles are cooked through, yet still firm. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #29
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Basic Chicken Stock:

in a 12 qt stock pot:

1 whole chicken
3 onions, halved, skin left on
3-4 carrots, skin on, halved
3-4 stalks celery, with leaves and all, cut into big chunks
4-5 whole cloves garlic
12 or so whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
handfull of dried parsley
water to cover

Rinse the chicken and make sure you take the little bag of guts out (I forgot once). Put everything into the stock pot, fill with water, cover and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 3 hours. As the stock cooks, you may need to add water to keep the pot full. After 3 hours, strain out all the veggies and chicken. Toss the veggies, they have given their all! When the chicken is cool, pick over removing all the meat and toss the bones. Return meat to pot. If you are not going to use the stock, make sure you cool it quickly and refrigerate or freeze.

For Chicken Noodle Soup:

8 qts Pre-made chicken stock
2-3 onions diced
3-4 carrots sliced into rounds
3-4 stalks celery diced
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 bay leaves
12 peppercorns
2-3 tablespoons dried parsley
noodles of choice

If the stock has cooled, bring it back to a boil and add the veggies and herbs. Simmer til carrots are cooked through. In a separate pan, cook the noodles, drain. Ladle a bit of the broth into the noodle pan to keep the noodles from sticking together, but don't put the noodles into the soup pot, they will get too mushy. To serve, spoon some noodles into a bowl and fill with soup. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese if you want. Serve with crusty french bread.

For Chicken Corn "Chowder":

8 qts pre-made chicken stock
2-3 onions diced
3-4 carrots, sliced
3-4 stalks celery, diced
4-5 cloves garlic crushed
8-10 red potatoes, peeled and diced large
1 small bag frozen corn or kernels sliced off 7-8 ears fresh corn

If you are using fresh corn sliced off the cob, and you want your stock to be a little more "corny", when making the stock, add the fresh corn cobs that you sliced the kernels from. I know this sounds odd, but it really makes the stock taste great.

For the soup, bring the stock to a boil and add all the veggies and herbs. Simmer till the potatoes are cooked through. For a more "chowdery" soup, add a little milk to the bowl when you serve the soup. Don't put the milk into the main soup pot if you intend to freeze it.

Last edited by PamelaLois; 10-20-2008 at 04:46 PM.
PamelaLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #30
cnk2cav

cnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot picscnk2cav does more than just post hot pics

mmm, thanks ladies. Would it ruin it too much with just breasts on the bone, since they seem to be taking over the freezer, or should I really just get the whole one?
cnk2cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #31
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Such tempting recipes!

I am usually a disaster in the kitchen but I am so going to make try these.
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #32
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For ultra quick and cheaty chicken noodle soup:-

Put a packet of ramen noodles (minus the flavour sachet) into some water, with a crumbled chicken stock cube. Add a fairly thinly sliced chicken breast, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add some chopped scallion and a handful of frozen or canned corn. Cook for another couple of mins til noodles are done and corn is heated through.

I like this poured into a bowl on top of some shredded iceberg lettuce, and I sprinkle soy sauce on top. If you have a cold, a little tom yam or chili paste added while cooking is good.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #33
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk2cav View Post
mmm, thanks ladies. Would it ruin it too much with just breasts on the bone, since they seem to be taking over the freezer, or should I really just get the whole one?
Not at all...If you are going to do that, I would recommend using half chicken broth/half water to cover the chicken. It will impart extra flavor that you'll miss from the dark meat.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #34
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Oooh the air just caught a chill here in the DC area, and it has got me craving soup, big time. I am right now making a pot of lentil soup, and it is HUUUUUGE! I will definately have it for the rest of the week, and I'll definately be putting some in the freezer, to have later on in the season!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #35
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Does anyone have a good recipe that is fairly easy and healthy for a vegetable and/or minestrone soup? I've been trying to get my hands on one.Thanks!

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk2cav View Post
It wouldn't ruin anything, but chicken breasts are so much better for other things. They are comparatively expensive compared to a whole fryer, and personally, I think the dark meat from the legs and thighs just tastes better in soup. And the bones from the whole carcass just add enough gelatin to the stock to give it a great mouthfeel, silky and smooth.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #37
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistful View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe that is fairly easy and healthy for a vegetable and/or minestrone soup? I've been trying to get my hands on one.Thanks!
I am making vegetable soup right now! The easiest way to do it is gather all the veggies you want in the soup, cut them up into bite size pieces, saute in a little olive oil or butter, dump in a bunch of canned beef or chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 45 minutes til the veggies are done. Make some noodles, spoon some into a bowl and ladle some soup on top. Sprinkle with parmesan if you want, and enjoy.

My veggie soup on the stove right now contains:

Onion, celery, carrot, parsnip, turnip, potato, spinach, peas, corn, cauliflower, broccoli, leek, garlic, canned crushed tomato (I don't like pieces of tomato), mushrooms, beef, beef broth, bay leaf, peppercorns.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #38
SuperMishe
Single. Wanna mingle?

SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SuperMishe has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I had soup the other night - from a can!!! The horror!! But I added some leftover jasmine rice to it and it was more like a chicken rice "stew"!

I love Matzo Ball soup - but I like it with the matzo balls made really small, not one giant one, and with the actual chicken and veggies, not just "broth".

Ahhhh.. soup IS good food!
SuperMishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #39
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr7 View Post
Sorry to yuck on everyone's yum, but I hate soup. My entire family loves the stuff, but no....not me. I guess I'm the only person in the world. You have no idea how strange it sounds to me to hear people say they like or even love it. I just can't get my head around that. I know...I'm a weirdo.

Chris
I'm with you on this, I don't like soup at all!
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #40
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf View Post
For those that don't like soups -- what about stews? Thicker texture, more hearty?
Starvation > soup > stew.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #41
g-squared

g-squared is a member of the 500 clubg-squared is a member of the 500 clubg-squared is a member of the 500 clubg-squared is a member of the 500 clubg-squared is a member of the 500 clubg-squared is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
Starvation > soup > stew.
obviously you're forgetting about hotdog stew
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #42
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-squared View Post
obviously you're forgetting about hotdog stew
Hahahahahah.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #43
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

I posted this picture in another thread, and then decided to add the recipe in this one.

Split Pea Soup w/ Ham (for the slow cooker)

1-16 oz. bag of dried split peas
11-Cups of water
2-Smoked Ham shanks
1-Medium onion chopped
3-Celery stalks chopped
2-Carrots grated
2-Tablespoons of butter
1-Bay leaf

Rinse split peas in a colander. Place in slow cooker.
Saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until onion is golden brown. Add vegetables to slow cooker.
Add ham shanks, water and bay leaf to slow cooker and set to desired temperature. (Low:7-8 hours approx. time, High: 5-6 hours approx. time)
When done, remove ham shanks let cool, remove bones/cartilage and chop meat.
Remove bay leaf and discard
Use an immersion blender to puree the peas and vegetables smooth. (Use extreme care when using any type of blender while soup is still hot)
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with croutons, chopped ham and shredded cheese if you like.
Serve with your favorite crusty bread
Enjoy!

(I garnished w/ ham, homemade croutons and a homemade parmesan crisp)
Old 10-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #44
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Soups are best when you toss everything in your cupboards and have a bit a faith that it will taste good. Okay, maybe not, but I just made a delicious black bean soup with the following ingredients:

3 cups dried black beans picked over/soaked overnight
2 medium white onions, diced
3 stalks sad, sad almost wilted celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
a few cloves garlic, minced
small can of salsa
1 1/2 chipotle in adobo sauce
bay leaf
white/black pepper
saute the first 5 ingredients in oil of choice. Rinse black beans, pick through them, then dump all ingredients into a crockpot with 6 cups of water. On low, it took about 10 hours in total to cook. Get an immersion blender, and zip that stuff up and eat it. Add salt to taste. I added chipotle instead of ham hock just because I wanted something smoky but still have a vegetarian recipe.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #45
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

VG I don't know you manage to take the pictures you do. At my house that food would be gone before the camera bag was opened..lol They are magazine worthy and absolutely stunning. Each one makes me hungry. All of them together make me ravenous. Please post more..and more..
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #46
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!vardon_grip keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLadyJ View Post
VG I don't know you manage to take the pictures you do. At my house that food would be gone before the camera bag was opened..lol They are magazine worthy and absolutely stunning. Each one makes me hungry. All of them together make me ravenous. Please post more..and more..
I always make extra and shoot the leftovers. Thank you so much for your compliments. More to come...
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #47
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Anyone have a good recipe for navy bean soup with ham? My father used to make the very best, with big chunks of starchy potato and salty slabs of pork fat, and I have never been able to come close to duplicating it.
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #48
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
Anyone have a good recipe for navy bean soup with ham? My father used to make the very best, with big chunks of starchy potato and salty slabs of pork fat, and I have never been able to come close to duplicating it.
Approx one hour ago...I was thinking about going to the store to buy ham hocks, to make this soup. I don't have a recipe, but I am pretty sure if you look online, you will find basic recipes that you can then tweak. It is rare that I don't....tweak. I have never had it with potato....but....I am, within the next few days, going to get my hooves on some hocks. Mmmmmmmm....a splash of vinegar after this soup is placed in a bowl.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #49
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
Approx one hour ago...I was thinking about going to the store to buy ham hocks, to make this soup. I don't have a recipe, but I am pretty sure if you look online, you will find basic recipes that you can then tweak. It is rare that I don't....tweak. I have never had it with potato....but....I am, within the next few days, going to get my hooves on some hocks. Mmmmmmmm....a splash of vinegar after this soup is placed in a bowl.
I've tried the www.thepioneerwomancooks.com recipe for navy bean soup & cornbread ... it looks soooo yummy, but for some reason, I just cannot get it right, no matter how much I tweak it. It ends up weak & watery or too salty or the beans are too mushy or ... well, you get the point. I am wondering if it's because I refuse to make it without adding the potato. The starch probably absorbs too much of the flavor ... but to me, bean soup wouldn't be bean soup without my yummy starchy spuds.

BTW ... the website above ... recipe for olive cheese bread ....
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #50
vardon_grip
Consistently smarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
This recipe isn't the same as you describe, but I had this soup in the US Senate dining hall and can attest that it is pretty darn good.

(My tweaks follow the recipe)

This is from the US Senate page:

Bean soup is on the menu in the Senate's restaurant every day. There are several stories about the origin of that mandate, but none has been corroborated.
According to one story, the Senate’s bean soup tradition began early in the 20th-century at the request of Senator Fred Dubois of Idaho. Another story attributes the request to Senator Knute Nelson of Minnesota, who expressed his fondness for the soup in 1903.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
2 pounds dried navy beans
four quarts hot water
1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

(Tweaks)
I would make this in a crock pot because you can place all the ingredients in at one time and then go to bed or work or whatever for 6-8 hours. The beans will be very soft and some will have broken to add their starch to the soup and thicken it. (You can always mash a couple of cups of beans and return to pot to thicken even more if you like)

If you like your beans a little more firm-stovetop would be the way to go.

Start with 3 1/2 quarts of water with 1/2 quart in reserve if you like your soup a little thicker

I would use the meatiest smoked ham hocks or ham shanks you can find. Some hocks have no meat at all (I prefer shanks due to their larger meat yield)

It sounds like your father may have used a chopped up slab of salt pork-I have used salt pork in recipes before, but VERY sparingly because it leeches out a lot of salt.

I would use a very large onion or 2 medium sized onions in recipe. Diced very fine.

Add 3-celery stalks chopped fine
Add 1-carrot grated fine
Saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until golden brown.

You can add 2 medium sized potatos diced if you like (More water may be needed if you add potatoes)

Add 1 T of fresh chopped parsely or 2 T of dried parsely

Recipe says salt and pepper to taste; I would also add a small amount of white pepper. It adds a little zip to soup.

Last edited by vardon_grip; 10-23-2008 at 03:40 PM.
vardon_grip is offline   Reply With Quote