Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
SparklingBBW
What's new pussycat?

SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!SparklingBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I can be a coffee snob at times, but really, it's not so much about being a snob as just really appreciating a great coffee and knowing when you're having bad coffee. I used to drink it black, which is where I think I honed my personal coffee taste buds; you can really tell a bad coffee when you don't add anything to it. Now, I'm a splenda and fat-free half-and-half kinda gal due to my tummy, but still a good strong cup is a pleasure to be savoured. (I agree with Edx's quote that there's no such thing as strong coffee only weak people! LOL) I'm also like Liz in that I love the elegance of a cup of coffee for dessert after dinner in a fine restaurant.

I don't have to have coffee every morning but that's probably because I usually substitute diet coke lol. I do need me some caffeine to wake up.

At restaurants, I like McDonald's coffee and Bob Evans has a pretty good brew as well as White Castle. Here in Columbus we also have a local roaster, Stauffs, and a lot of the coffee shops/pastry shops buy from them, including Cup O' Joe, which is my personal favorite coffee shop in town (and they buy from Stauffs), but that's also about the ambiance. I really want to like Starbucks because they are such a great company, but every time I've tried their coffee it always tastes burnt to me, so it's not my preference. At home I usually have Gevalia's French roast and I especially like their Vintar Blend which comes out just once a year...heck I hoard that stuff and save it for special occasions!

Three cheers for coffee!!!

Gena
SparklingBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #52
CandySmooch

CandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
I love Starbucks coffee, also Seattle's Best (which, incidentally, is owned by Starbucks). The SB Breakfast Blend is superb, and is usually what I'll brew at home.
My love of coffee developed when I started on the local fire dept. as a Jr. Firefighter at age 17. I quickly learned coffee is the main staple in Fire/Emergency Services. Back then it was whatever coffee we had, but I always needed heavy cream & sugar. I ran with a crew where we often would stay up all night for our 24 hour shift and drink coffee literally all night & smoke cigarettes in between running emergency calls. Those are some of my most fondest memories.

As I grew up and came to work for a major metropolitan fire dept. as a 911 dispatcher I was assigned to the night shift. Again we'd drink it all night long mostly Folgers as that was what the Fire Dept. provided free. They have since switched to a generic coffee that tastes like burnt sludge so I had to expand my horizons.

I discovered Starbucks only a year ago, it had been too intimidating for me before that. I order a Grande, 6 pump White Chocolate Mocha, extra hot, no whip cream, however I do not enjoy paying $4.61 for one damn good cup of coffee. I have since stopped splurging on these after I'd get them several times a week for a year and realized they were probably sucking 1/2 of my paycheck in I didn't feel good supporting such a commercialized corporation. Thats not how I roll. I will take my $.99 Vanilla Steamer from Quik Trip instead from now on.

But I am saddened to hear that CrankySpice has just informed me that Starbucks owned Seattle's Best as I have fallen in love with their "Cinnabon" flavor. I was feeling good about not supporting the Starbuck corporation but now my bubble has burst. I buy SB at Hy-Vee ground & packaged in the coffee aisle. I love coffee but I don't like to have to work for it (grinding my own beans etc) I don't how they make "Cinnabon" taste so rich & buttery with a hint of cinnamon, but by God they do. This has been the absolute best packaged coffee I can make for myself at the fire dept. I mostly drink coffee just at work since I know I will drink more than a cup and will stick to individual hot teas & hot chocolate at home with my tea kettle.

I also liked Millstone's Christmas blend my brother had at his house last year. I use a variety of Internationl or Coffemate Creamers & 7 sugar cubes. The holiday Pumpkin Spice & Gingerbread are my faves around the holidays. I've recently tried Coffemates Blueberry Cobbler and Pralines & Cream, and Internationals new Belgium White Choc. & Macadamia. All are excellent and I'd buy again. I do not believe in using powdered creamers......that shit is just wrong wrong wrong! Do a search on youtube and you'll see many flammable explosions of it. Its like one molecule away from plastic & has been linked to cancer. Sometimes I like to use heavy whipping cream instead, although I keep hearing of using sweetened condensed milk in coffee lately so this I must try soon!! I like my coffee roasts med/dark, with heavy cream & sugar. I just love to converse with my fellow coffee/tea drinkers! We need a group name.......
CandySmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #53
CandySmooch

CandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesCandySmooch can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I must also add a horrible Starbucks experience. One Sunday morning on my way into work I went through the drive-threw. The lights were on inside, the board was lit up for orders......yet no one took my order after 5 minutes. They open at 0630 on Sundays here.....it was 0640 when I hit the drive-threw. After no one answered I pulled up to the window - I saw 2 girls & 1 guy standing around chatting & eating at the counter & no one wearing a headset. Finally after several minutes and I'm about to honk my horn when one of the girls notices me. She slowly saunters over taking her sweet ass time. I politely said "I'm sorry I thought you opened at 0630". She said "We do." I looked at my clock and it was 0645. I thought maybe she'd ask how she could help me........nope she just stood there.

I said ok I'd like to order a Grande 6 pump White Mocha, extra hot, no whip cream. She says nothing, but turns to the guy standing there and hands him my cup - the window is open and I hear them exchange words and I got the feeling it wasn't anything nice about me. He then turns to me with a nasty smirk on his face and asks "Do you even want any milk in this or just shots of white mocha?". I was so stunned I answered "Of course" without thinking.

After he said that I'm really thinking you fucking idiot are you retarded? Then I realized he was being a punk smart ass and making a dig at me being fat and wanting extra shots of white chocolate. When I'm paying $5 for one cup of coffe I will have it any way I damn well please and I better get it with a smile! I pulled away pissed as I didn't want to be late for work and I really hadn't processed the whole situation just yet. I had been polite about everything as I"m never rude to retail/fast food service especially in the drive' thru's.

I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense after I left which made me angrier. I promptly logged onto Starbucks and made a written complaint and then I called the manager of the store the next whom is a big fattie like me. She apologized profusely and said its not a problem for extra pumps as she always gets several and she even gave me some new combos to try the next time I came threw. I told her I was so upset I didn't want to return to her store. She said rest assured she'd talk to those employees and she appreciated my complaint and told me to come threw the next morning and she'd make my drink personally on the house. I also later received a free coupon from SB.com in the mail also. Her name was Piper and I like her, she calls me by name when I see her now. I've never seen those punks again.

I also wanted to tell you about a nice lil coffee maker that I was hooked on by a guy at the fire dept. Its a cold brew so it deletes any acidity that your coffee causes you to have, I just prefer to have a nice hot pot to go to every time I want one instead of having to "nuke" a cup although I will say when I drank the coffee from this brewer it never gave me any kind of heartburn and always tasted soooooooo smooth!!!!! Here is the link to it. I'm sure I could figure out a way to keep a pot hot on the burner all day though...........

http://www.toddycafe.com/

"Low Acid Information
Reclaim your morning: Many coffee lovers find regular brewed coffee too acidic. According to the National Heartburn Alliance, of the estimated 54 million Americans who suffer heartburn, 75% say beverages such as coffee can cause it.

For the tens of millions of coffee lovers who suffer from acid sensitivity, it's time for some good news. Toddy cold-brewed coffee - served steaming HOT or iced cold.

Although a favorite among millions of coffee drinkers - from regular folk to connoisseurs - for more than forty years, many consumers are only now discovering the benefits of cold-brewed coffee.

Using one's favorite brand of coffee, cold-brewing ground beans produces a coffee that is naturally low in acid - approximately 67% less acidic than coffee brewed by conventional hot-brew methods such as a Mr. Coffee-type system.

Developed and patented in 1964 by a Cornell University chemical engineering graduate, the Toddy Cold Brew System extracts the coffee bean's true delicious flavor and eliminates much of the acidity, producing a bold, super-smooth coffee concentrate that may be refrigerated for up to 14 days without any deterioration in taste or freshness.

And, there's no waste. Cold-brewed coffee can be made one cup at a time, and at the strength you prefer, simply by adding STEAMING HOT or iced cold water or milk. It's also microwavable."
CandySmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #54
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm not really so into coffee I can tell the taste difference.

Large, Venti, whatever, the BIG one, sugar free vanilla soy latte.

BUENO!

As for bad Starbucks experiences, that's so weird, I'm sorry that happened! I've always been treated so nicely. Infact on payday I always ask to pay for the car behind me in drive through. It's a silly random act but I feel pretty okay about guzzling the coffee goop called latte.
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #55
Sweet_Serenade
Foodaholic

Sweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot pics

I practically live on coffee, it tends to make me way too hyper though.

Even like regular powder coffee like Folgers I enjoy.
But of course I love me some Starbucks and better quality coffee.

I like tea too, but I'm a total coffee freak.
Sweet_Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #56
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I work for a small company, so we don't have a lot of fancy perks. But we do have one that is just awesome: a free, kick-ass, espresso machine. This marvel of modern technology has a container for (unground) beans. You punch in the length of the coffee you want, then it grinds the beans and makes the appropriate length of espresso right then, taking maybe thirty or forty seconds. So, espresso from literally freshly ground beans, whenever you want it. I have to work hard to not over-caffeinate myself!

It also has, of course, the steam wand if you want to froth milk to make cappucino, or can just give you steaming hot water if you are making tea or hot chocolate.

I'd love to have one like it at home, but it is roughly a cube a couple of feet per side, which just would not fit into our kitchen (ignoring for the moment that we could probably not afford it). Still, it makes going in to work that much easier when I can look forward to a nice espresso

-Ed
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #57
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
I work for a small company, so we don't have a lot of fancy perks. But we do have one that is just awesome: a free, kick-ass, espresso machine. This marvel of modern technology has a container for (unground) beans. You punch in the length of the coffee you want, then it grinds the beans and makes the appropriate length of espresso right then, taking maybe thirty or forty seconds. So, espresso from literally freshly ground beans, whenever you want it. I have to work hard to not over-caffeinate myself!

It also has, of course, the steam wand if you want to froth milk to make cappucino, or can just give you steaming hot water if you are making tea or hot chocolate.

I'd love to have one like it at home, but it is roughly a cube a couple of feet per side, which just would not fit into our kitchen (ignoring for the moment that we could probably not afford it). Still, it makes going in to work that much easier when I can look forward to a nice espresso

-Ed
You're an evil man, Ed. I can't even imagine the joy of that.

On my end, no one remembered to fill the order for our crap-coffee, so we don't even have crap-coffee this morning. *sips decaf and tries not to strangle self*
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #58
Paul Delacroix

Paul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going onPaul Delacroix knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
I ADORE Jamaican Blue Mountain -- it is so smooth and doesn't give you that jittery feeling after having several cups. Oh it is just yummy...it's a coffee I could sip all day.
I had it once in Jamaica with that great Cremo milk they bottled down there. Made a breakfast buffet complete.
Paul Delacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #59
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Jamaica Blue is the BEST stuff ever! Well worth the $40 per pound price tag
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #60
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Now y'all know I have a deep and abiding love for Starbucks. So it was with excitement like a kid on Christmas morning that I tried their new honey latte. I love lattes, I love honey, and sometimes I put honey in my lattes so I figured what could go wrong?

It. Was. VILE. Truly awful. I couldn't drink more than two or three sips. It was just way too cloying and awful and.... ugh. *shivers at the memory*

Starbucks, you guys dropped the ball with this one. I don't know what you managed to do to ruin what could have been a delicious drink but I don't intend to try another one to find out.

I still love ya, though, and will continue to get my one splenda grande lattes. Just hold the honey, honeys.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #61
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Now y'all know I have a deep and abiding love for Starbucks. So it was with excitement like a kid on Christmas morning that I tried their new honey latte. I love lattes, I love honey, and sometimes I put honey in my lattes so I figured what could go wrong?

It. Was. VILE. Truly awful. I couldn't drink more than two or three sips. It was just way too cloying and awful and.... ugh. *shivers at the memory*

Starbucks, you guys dropped the ball with this one. I don't know what you managed to do to ruin what could have been a delicious drink but I don't intend to try another one to find out.

I still love ya, though, and will continue to get my one splenda grande lattes. Just hold the honey, honeys.
Vick, it's far too sweet for me as well. The honey drizzle on the top ... over FREAKIN' kill. And the 5 pumps of syrup are about 3 too many, in a Venti size drink. For some reason, the honey flavor is super, super concentrated.

I have been drinking my own hybrid for a few weeks now. I call it Honey Vanilla Heaven I do two pumps vanilla, two pumps honey, forget the whip & the drizzle, 3 shots of espresso. It is ... divine. And there is nothing more satisfying than making my own tasty, tasty latte (well, except making my own and then LEAVING without having to serve them to other people, but I digress).
TraciJo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #62
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ewww, honey latte. That doesn't sound so good.

Anyone hear anything about this Phase 2 thing they are doing?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28657
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #63
sunnie1653
Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

sunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitysunnie1653 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I *almost* tried the Honey Latte this morning - I'm glad I didn't.

I'm such a coffee junkie. It borders on addiction. I make 1/2 a pot in the morning, and drink it at home (Usually I'll buy the Seattle's Best or Millstone at the store.)

Then on my way I stop at Starbuck's. I switch from week-to-week. I either get a venti brewed coffee, skim milk, and 2 splenda's, a non-fat sugar free misto with caramel/hazelnut/cinnamon dolce etc, a venti skinny (I don't like whole milk) mocha, or a non fat white chocolate mocha w/raspberry.

Then I drink coffee until 2pm at work. The rest of the day, I drink ice water, and allow myself to have a soda either with or after dinner.

I'm very weird, apparently.
sunnie1653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #64
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
Vick, it's far too sweet for me as well. The honey drizzle on the top ... over FREAKIN' kill. And the 5 pumps of syrup are about 3 too many, in a Venti size drink. For some reason, the honey flavor is super, super concentrated.
Maybe I should have them make it half strength? All of their flavored drinks tend to be too sweet for me -- except pumpkin spice, which is about perfect. So I may try it again with one of my freebie cards so I don't waste $4 like I did the other day.

Quote:
I have been drinking my own hybrid for a few weeks now. I call it Honey Vanilla Heaven I do two pumps vanilla, two pumps honey, forget the whip & the drizzle, 3 shots of espresso. It is ... divine. And there is nothing more satisfying than making my own tasty, tasty latte (well, except making my own and then LEAVING without having to serve them to other people, but I digress).
Mmmm. That sounds good. I loved making my own concoctions when I worked there. When we had eggnog I'd make an eggnog latte with just a tiny bit of cinnamon and vanilla syrups. It was ... divine -- just as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie1653 View Post
I *almost* tried the Honey Latte this morning - I'm glad I didn't.

I'm such a coffee junkie. It borders on addiction. I make 1/2 a pot in the morning, and drink it at home (Usually I'll buy the Seattle's Best or Millstone at the store.)

Then on my way I stop at Starbuck's. I switch from week-to-week. I either get a venti brewed coffee, skim milk, and 2 splenda's, a non-fat sugar free misto with caramel/hazelnut/cinnamon dolce etc, a venti skinny (I don't like whole milk) mocha, or a non fat white chocolate mocha w/raspberry.

Then I drink coffee until 2pm at work. The rest of the day, I drink ice water, and allow myself to have a soda either with or after dinner.

I'm very weird, apparently.
Yeah I'd say your coffee addict "cred" is certainly intact. It's fun to try new drinks, and my "favorite drink" changes from week to week, although I've been on my grande latte with one splenda jag all winter.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #65
Miss Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
Ewww, honey latte. That doesn't sound so good.

Anyone hear anything about this Phase 2 thing they are doing?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28657
LOL! I forgot this in my other post. Funny, especially given how they closed down the other day for four hours. Hee. Something's definitely up in the Land of the Green Apron.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #66
TraciJo67
On Timeout

TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.TraciJo67 has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
LOL! I forgot this in my other post. Funny, especially given how they closed down the other day for four hours. Hee. Something's definitely up in the Land of the Green Apron.
Yeah, blame the frackin' baristas, Howie.

I think if he'd stop building Starbucks stores inside of Starbucks bathrooms, he'd perhaps start turning the obscene profits again (as opposed to the mere hefty ones that he currently enjoys).
Old 03-01-2008, 06:28 AM   #67
Neen
Free Spirit

Neen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Mmm coffee..now ya'll are speakin my language!
Tall Caramel machiato at starbucks extra caramel please...
Tall mild blend, cream and sugar...
or at home, sometimes i put ground cinnamon /nutmeg/cloves in with the coffee grounds before brewing. Tastes just like a pumpkin latte at starbucks..!!
One thing i cannot do is drink coffee black.. BLEH! Gotta have cream and sugar..
Old 03-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #68
Miss Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciJo67 View Post
Yeah, blame the frackin' baristas, Howie.

I think if he'd stop building Starbucks stores inside of Starbucks bathrooms, he'd perhaps start turning the obscene profits again (as opposed to the mere hefty ones that he currently enjoys).
One stand up comic I saw on TV was talking about opening a Starbucks in her uterus. Hee. That made me giggle, especially given what I do for a living. It would be so convenient...

The manager at my favorite local Starbucks said it's been INSANELY busy since they closed down the other day. She said that people are mentioning it when they come in, and lots of people are saying they're coming in because of the shutdown. Crazy... My coffee tastes just the same as ever.

I heard on the news that they're going to stop with the breakfast sandwiches. That made me sad; I LOVE those!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #69
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Since we're talking Starbucks, I gotta say that I love the Cinnamon Dolce Latte with 2% milk. YUMMY. I can do the sugar free syrup, but the with sugar is nicer And i can't do non fat milk for any lattes..just tastes burnt and nasty, and if I have them use the sugar free syrups in non fat milk it just tastes like burnt coffee with chemicals. The ONE exception is fat free milk with sugar free vanilla.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #70
Miss Vickie

Goofy girl, I'm not a fan of nonfat milk in lattes either. When I remember, I will order it as 1% which is about perfect for me. I may try the cinnamon dolce latte again; I wasn't impressed the first time but the sugar free one may work, since in my opinion Starbucks WAY over flavors their lattes. They're about as subtle as a Mack truck. The mochas are good, though, and usually not too sweet.

I was idly looking at their sign that they were hiring yesterday. I think it would be the perfect "fluff" second job for me. I mean, if I miss up at my work (I don't but I worry about it a lot) someone could die. But if I screw up a latte, nobody gets hurt and if they get pissed I'm good at smoothing feelings. Plus, and perhaps especially, I like the idea of talking to lots of usually happy people. If we're still up here this summer, I may see if they could use me part time.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #71
TraciJo67
On Timeout

Quote:
Goofy girl, I'm not a fan of nonfat milk in lattes either. When I remember, I will order it as 1% which is about perfect for me. I may try the cinnamon dolce latte again; I wasn't impressed the first time but the sugar free one may work, since in my opinion Starbucks WAY over flavors their lattes. They're about as subtle as a Mack truck. The mochas are good, though, and usually not too sweet.

I was idly looking at their sign that they were hiring yesterday. I think it would be the perfect "fluff" second job for me. I mean, if I miss up at my work (I don't but I worry about it a lot) someone could die. But if I screw up a latte, nobody gets hurt and if they get pissed I'm good at smoothing feelings. Plus, and perhaps especially, I like the idea of talking to lots of usually happy people. If we're still up here this summer, I may see if they could use me part time.
Vick, as you know, I've been working at Starbucks for the past month or so. I had genteel fantasies of standing around, serving tasty beverages to grateful customers, standing around waiting to serve more tasty beverages to yet more grateful customers, and inbetween bouts of standing around, serving myself some tasty beverages. And for the few shilling that Starbucks is willing to pay me, that seemed like a pretty damn realistic expectation.

Instead, I've been on my feet for 5-8 hour stretches ... mopping & sweeping floors, plunging toilets, grinding beans, doing dishes, cleaning machines, hauling 20-pound bags of trash, and serving tasty beverages to indifferent and/or outright rude customers. In other words, I've been working DAMN HARD, and non-stop. For less than 1/3 of what my "real" job pays, and for a lot (and I mean a LOT) less respect. I mentioned that I've injured my hand, and went to the doctor on Monday because it wasn't getting better. I have a mild case of tendonitis, and was told to wear a brace for at least a week, and to try to minimize activities that required a lot of flexing and twisting. When I called to mention these temporary restrictions to the store manager, she acted suspicious! And ultimately, I ended up taking the brace off and doing everything anyway, because she didn't schedule anyone else to help with closing duties. Tonight was my last night, though I'm not going to say anything until mid-week so I can enjoy my mark-out and discounted beverages for a while longer.

Did I mention that it's HARD frickin' WORK??!?!? I have gained a new level of respect for people who work in the retail or food service industry. The pay suuuuuuuuuuuucks, the work is mundane and physically taxing, you're treated like a very small & very insignificant cog in a very indifferently operated machine, and again, the pay suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks (x2). My hat is off to anyone who does this type of work for a living. My day job is stressful and taxing in a different way (more mentally), but at least my employer treats me with dignity and respect ... and the pay is at least somewhat commiserate with expectations of what I should be doing to earn it.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #72
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
I very rarely drank coffee until I started my new job. It's a very social thing here and someone offered me a latte one morning and I was hooked.

Because i'm diabetic it's also a treat I can have as most of their flavoured drinks come in sugar-free versions.

Grande non-fat sugar free Vanilla latte, please!

I have to admit, i've switched to Tim Horton's coffee in the morning. It's super-fresh, hot and delicious. And it's SO much cheaper.

I can't get a latte per say, but I can have more milk or less or whatever. The price alone seems to make it tastier.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #73
Miss Vickie

Oh I know it's hard; I worked at Starbucks, although in the customer service department, handling verbally assaultive customers but from the comfort of my derriere. I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your hand. I don't blame you at ALL for quitting. Sounds like you have a suck-tas-tic manager, to treat you like that with your brace and all. Asswipes. This is how they lose good workers, isn't it?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #74
TraciJo67
On Timeout

Quote:
Oh I know it's hard; I worked at Starbucks, although in the customer service department, handling verbally assaultive customers but from the comfort of my derriere. I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your hand. I don't blame you at ALL for quitting. Sounds like you have a suck-tas-tic manager, to treat you like that with your brace and all. Asswipes. This is how they lose good workers, isn't it?
Actually, I don't think that she's a bad manager. I think that it's just the very nature of the industry. A lot of the people willing to work for that kind of wage are transient workers (high school & college students), and aren't the most reliable. They have other priorities. And when someone doesn't show up for a shift, or offers some kind of last minute excuse for why he/she can't show, it clogs the machine (so to speak ). And the manager herself probably earns less than $40K, and gets to deal with headaches that are -- thankfully -- unimaginable to me.

I'm not willing to work my ass off for such a low wage. Thankfully (and I truly mean that, in a way I couldn't have understood two months ago) I don't have to.

But damn ... I just can't go back to paying $5 for a cup of coffee, either Going to have to go buy an espresso maker and start doin' it myself.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #75
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

How much of a discount do they offer? What do they pay? I have a 24 hour starbucks down the street. I wouldn't mind taking an over night shift if they had one.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote