Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 10-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Cool The Jazz Thread

I was talking with a friend about just how many amazing jazz clips there are on You Tube, and I started thinking: it would be interesting to see what would happen if I started a "Jazz Thread" here in the lounge.

This is a place where you can not only post any of your favorite vintage jazz clips form You Tube etc., but also where you can discuss any jazz-related topics (ie, favorite or influential artists, favorite tunes, improv techniques, etc.)

I don't recall if anything like this has been started here before, if so please forgive my redundancy. lol I don't know how "popular" this thread will be either... but I thought there might be at least a few folks here who would enjoy/appreciate something like this.

Oh, and let this thread be open to all forms of jazz: swing, be-bop, latin, funk/fusion and yes... even smooth jazz... anything goes.

I figured I would start things off with this very cool clip I found of Miles and Trane playing "So What"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FAKRpUCYY
Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Rock View Post
... even smooth jazz... anything goes.

]
DENIED!

Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Anthony Braxton

great clip from the 70s of Braxton playing Coltrane's Impressions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0AYFRFX7g
Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
DENIED!

well, I wanted there to be something for everyone here.... oh, and we could use some free/avant garde jazz as well.... the Anthony Braxton clip I posted hints at such.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

and maybe a fiddle in the background? ...no?

What's better than one vibes player? Why two, of course.

My 2 faves (one I got to see in the flesh, the other I missed and I'm still mad at myself for that):

Milt and Bobby in '99 (Lady Be Good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6Qyfd86v0
Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

I LOVE Jazz but have no idea how to how find clips on YouTube...which I seldom ever use.

Dennis
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
and maybe a fiddle in the background? ...no?

What's better than one vibes player? Why two, of course.

My 2 faves (one I got to see in the flesh, the other I missed and I'm still mad at myself for that):

Milt and Bobby in '99 (Lady Be Good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6Qyfd86v0
RIP Milt Jackson.... and I've always loved Bobby Hutcherson's playing ever since I first heard him on the Round Midnight soundtrack back in '86. Thats a nice arrangement of that tune too!

well, one good vibe deserves another.... here's the great Stefon Harris:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-klKGVbV2hE
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
ActionPif
Napoleon of Notting Hill

ActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging in

*COUGH http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=22585 COUGH*

Moving swiftly along...

The Sun Ra Arkestra (1990)- Retrospect

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DsKDbuCsTkk

You also get to hear Ra talk, which is a great treat in and of itself.

Cecil Taylor (1981)- Untitled Improvisation

From a documentary entitled "Imagine the Sound". Not for the close-minded.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cP5L8tjnB6w

Andrew Hill Trio (2005?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jD9BxN0es3U (PART 1)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xEKm19tk61A (PART 2)

Andrew Hill- piano, legendary-ness

Nasheet Waits- drums

John Herbet- bass

-One of the masters...again, though, not for the faint of jazz heart!

Raymond Scott Quintette (1940s)- War Dance for Wooden Indians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbR6YZs8hqs

-I'm not really sure if this is Jazz or not, but it's goofy as hell! Plus, tap dancing injins!
ActionPif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Snibbity_Diggity!

Snibbity_Diggity! can now change their title

Does Astrud Gilberto count?

The Girl From Ipanema http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRe5v8P2xu4
Snibbity_Diggity! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I wish I had thought up this thread. I'm partial to more of the jazz-fusion style, particularly from the 70' and 80's.

Here's a clip post Return to Forever, featuring Chick Corea on piano, Lenny White on drums, and Stanley Clarke on bass.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A21luG_Svmg
Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Skye fan View Post
I LOVE Jazz but have no idea how to how find clips on YouTube...which I seldom ever use.

Dennis
execute a keyword search, boobookitty. It really is that simple.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
I wish I had thought up this thread. I'm partial to more of the jazz-fusion style, particularly from the 70' and 80's.

Here's a clip post Return to Forever, featuring Chick Corea on piano, Lenny White on drums, and Stanley Clarke on bass.

Oy, Phil! well.... all right. It's not my thread, so...
And: my imaginary boyfriend grew up down the street from the bar that the girl from Ipanema walked past--literally!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post

That was hot! "500 Miles High" The original studio recording of this tune with Flora Purim on vocals was one of my favorite recordings back in college. And I love to watch Stanley play upright.... I mean, he's absolutely smokin' on both electric and upright... but to see his approach to playing upright, its really unique. It's almost like he plays it as if it were an electric.

Speaking of Chick.... here's one of my favorite of his compositions, done by one of my all time favorite vocalists: Al Jarreau!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zt1ubSiAp1k

Also note Mr "Ready Freddie" Washington on bass.... oh, not to mention STEVE GADD on drums and JOE SAMPLE on piano! WOW!!!

Last edited by LJ Rock; 10-13-2007 at 09:36 AM.
LJ Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionPif View Post

The Sun Ra Arkestra (1990)- Retrospect

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DsKDbuCsTkk

You also get to hear Ra talk, which is a great treat in and of itself.

Wow, that was the most far out interview with a musician I think I've ever heard! "...I'm trying to get the planet ready for space-beings, because they are sure to land soon."

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard Sun Ra... it was on an old Saturday Night Live episode from like '76. I was like 13 or 14, and that cat blew my mind completely!

And you know, I really miss that show "Night Music" with Dave Sanborn. I'd actually forgotten about that program until recently... they really used to have some dynamite guest musicians on there!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Do you know of a good video of Coltrane doing "A Love Supreme"?

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Rock View Post
Wow, that was the most far out interview with a musician I think I've ever heard! "...I'm trying to get the planet ready for space-beings, because they are sure to land soon."

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard Sun Ra... it was on an old Saturday Night Live episode from like '76. I was like 13 or 14, and that cat blew my mind completely!

And you know, I really miss that show "Night Music" with Dave Sanborn. I'd actually forgotten about that program until recently... they really used to have some dynamite guest musicians on there!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Do you know of a good video of Coltrane doing "A Love Supreme"?

William
sadly no. it would appear that there isn't a lot of surviving footage out there of Trane playing A Love Supreme. Seems hard to believe, but then again a lot of archival footage and recordings of great jazz has been lost over the years.

Found this little short clip on You Tube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=92T4DQqQApE

It would be interesting to see what else is out there.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snibbity_Diggity! View Post

You bet she does.

Here's the original jazz thread in The Lounge.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...highlight=jazz
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #18
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
You bet she does.

Here's the original jazz thread in The Lounge.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...highlight=jazz
I will see your visit to Ipanema, and raise you a night in tunisia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_v7m...elated&search=
it's all crash-y sounding! and then Lee Morgan steps up.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #19
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Can this threat include "Nu Jazz" and remixes?..
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
Jes
is oddly aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Lord View Post
Can this threat include "Nu Jazz" and remixes?..
I believe LJ said it was for all comers!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #21
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh wow!!!

I just found "Gling Glˇ" (the jazz band) featuring Bj÷rk Gudmundsdottir.

and the youtube song is Gling Glˇ

I own the cd and it is very good, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjMPKb2p-PM
Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
Jes
is oddly aroused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTUDyyFSTU

Dang, that white cat with the long ears can really play!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
ActionPif
Napoleon of Notting Hill

ActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging inActionPif makes people happy simply by logging in

Two new additions from my own personal viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na_3r_bf5gA

Ornette Coleman Quartet (an early incarnation of his Primetime Group)- "School Work"

-If you dig Ornette, you'll probably dig this. If you don't dig the man, you're probbaly not a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTSOjbp0Hs0

A Looney Toons Cartoon entitled "Three Little Bops"

-Really freaking amusing.
ActionPif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #24
LJ Rock

Default Acid jazz....

Just figured I'd give a little life to this thread... here is a nice remix I found of "Lift Off" by Groove Collective, one of my favorite acid-jazz groups from the 90s. The vocals are by Vinia Mojica, a great session singer from New York who is probably best known for her work with A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5JI3EIJefk

And for good measure, some Brand New Heavies, "Forever" and "Dream Come True"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-Z06P8Ugo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCzGzx5uW8
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #25
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snibbity_Diggity! View Post

Love her VERVE Diva CD. A good jazz clip is Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie on the Jackie Gleason show playing UMBRELLA MAN.