Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #26
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Moanin'

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - "Moanin'"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4noNAphDFA8

A short clip of Blakey's classic line up from 1962. It's a great clip, too bad it's not longer.

Here is a longer clip of Blakey in 1989 playing a great arrangement of the same tune, in celebration of his 70th birthday:

Part 1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Udn8YeR40I

Part 2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1QFF3lF7I

And for the hell of it, here is a killin' version of Jimmy Smith doing it on the Hammond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYosYlqiBOk
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #27
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Jazz is really good stuff. I might look for some links when I get a chance. It's been awhile since I've listened though. I remember this one group called "Kilauea" that has some good hits I liked. I'm a big electronic fan too, and it isn't uncommon for me to listen hybrids. I was listening to some good electro jazz today: Good stuff.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #28
Sweet_Serenade
Foodaholic

Sweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot pics

*head asplodes*

Ok, I'm in love with this forum now.

I'm a Jazz freak.
Mostly Hard Bop.
Love Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Lennie Tristano and so many more.

But less on vintage Jazz... is anybody here a fan of the contemporary Jazz king, John Zorn?
I am such a huge fan of his work.
Naked City. <3
Sweet_Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Serenade View Post
*head asplodes*

Ok, I'm in love with this forum now.

I'm a Jazz freak.
Mostly Hard Bop.
Love Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Lennie Tristano and so many more.

But less on vintage Jazz... is anybody here a fan of the contemporary Jazz king, John Zorn?
I am such a huge fan of his work.
Naked City. <3
right on!

I dig Zorn a lot... I used to have a recording of the John Zorn Masada Alef album back in college. Very cool, innovative stuff! I haven't heard it in years though... you ever get down with any Arthur Blythe or James Blood Ulmer?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #30
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i feel funky tonight

irakere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31z1hn-Vf0A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uRdFN-bE2A

fela kuti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-SQH94Pifc
mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #31
Sweet_Serenade
Foodaholic

Sweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot picsSweet_Serenade does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Rock View Post
right on!

I dig Zorn a lot... I used to have a recording of the John Zorn Masada Alef album back in college. Very cool, innovative stuff! I haven't heard it in years though... you ever get down with any Arthur Blythe or James Blood Ulmer?
Masada is great too! Bar Kokhba is a masterpiece!
Though Naked City will forever be my favorite Zorn group.
That guy has such a creative mind. I love how he can write such lovely music then go all wild and write something like Six Litanies For Heliogabalus that's like heavier than any Metal I've heard.

I haven't heard the two you mentioned though, I'll be sure to check them out!
Sweet_Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #32
Snibbity_Diggity!

Snibbity_Diggity! can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggletiger View Post
Love her VERVE Diva CD. A good jazz clip is Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie on the Jackie Gleason show playing UMBRELLA MAN.
Yeah I really like her stuff too. Though I was only just recently introduced to her.
Snibbity_Diggity! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #33
LJ Rock

Cool Christian Scott

I've been really feeling his stuff lately, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHaU6I3onPc

He's got a great sound, and he plays the hell outa that horn! Anyone else into him?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #34
t3h_n00b

t3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
great clip from the 70s of Braxton playing Coltrane's Impressions....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0AYFRFX7g
Hehe, he's one of my professors. I saw him walking around campus yesterday. I've taken 2 courses with him thus far. He's a MacArthur Fellow now.
t3h_n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
t3h_n00b

t3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going on

you have to watch these to believe them.

Stanley Jordan - Autumn Leaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXQz_k20YI

Stanley Jordan - Stairwat to Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

Allan Holdsworth - Proto Cosmos
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJF5zB7YcXc

Greg Howe - Giant Steps
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_BPZNMLXVs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6kkv4zswUN4

Screaming Headless Torsos - Word To Herb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHc5oqbFyw
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #36
Butterbelly
Melting in the desert

Butterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm definitely a jazz lover at heart. I've had the chance to meet some amazing jazz artists throughout the years, and also played with a couple.

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Butterbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #37
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3h_n00b View Post
Hehe, he's one of my professors. I saw him walking around campus yesterday. I've taken 2 courses with him thus far. He's a MacArthur Fellow now.
He teaches over at Berklee, right? What do you play, man?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #38
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbelly View Post
I'm definitely a jazz lover at heart. I've had the chance to meet some amazing jazz artists throughout the years, and also played with a couple.
cool, another musician. What do you play? I'm mainly keyboards and percussion myself.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #39
t3h_n00b

Quote:
He teaches over at Berklee, right? What do you play, man?
No, he teaches at Wesleyan and I play the guitar. He's a really...interesting teacher to say the least. His whole approach to the study of music is so different than anything most people ever get a chance to study and one can't help but be overtaken by his genius.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
LJ Rock

Quote:
No, he teaches at Wesleyan and I play the guitar. He's a really...interesting teacher to say the least. His whole approach to the study of music is so different than anything most people ever get a chance to study and one can't help but be overtaken by his genius.
Yes, he is very impressive... especially considering how young he is. He plays like a man with decades of experience.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #41
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Yes, he is very impressive... especially considering how young he is. He plays like a man with decades of experience.
Um, he was born in '45. You're talking about Anthony Braxton, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450px-Anthony_braxton_5268134w.jpg (48.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #42
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear View Post
Um, he was born in '45. You're talking about Anthony Braxton, right?
No sir, we were talking about trumpeter Christian Scott... one of the new young lions out there today (see my post just a few back.)

I first heard of him when a good drummer friend of mine got a gig doing some tour dates with him. Since that time it seems like I keep running into his name everywhere, and every track I've heard from him has been bangin'! I don't have his CD, but I am thinking that I may have add that to my X-Mas list.

Something I read recently, apparently he is the nephew of saxophonist Donald Harrison Jr. Far out!

Props on the Braxton pic, Santa. Good to see the man is still kickin' it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cscott02.JPG (28.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #43
t3h_n00b

Quote:
No sir, we were talking about trumpeter Christian Scott... one of the new young lions out there today (see my post just a few back.)

I first heard of him when a good drummer friend of mine got a gig doing some tour dates with him. Since that time it seems like I keep running into his name everywhere, and every track I've heard from him has been bangin'! I don't have his CD, but I am thinking that I may have add that to my X-Mas list.

Something I read recently, apparently he is the nephew of saxophonist Donald Harrison Jr. Far out!

Props on the Braxton pic, Santa. Good to see the man is still kickin' it!
We weren't? I was totally talking about Braxton.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 AM   #44
LJ Rock

Quote:
We weren't? I was totally talking about Braxton.
My bad. I misunderstood.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #45
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Dewey Redman Revisited

Heard this on NPR Fresh Air

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16735541

Dewey Redman is Joshua Redman's Father.

Formerly long out-of-print, The Struggle Continues became a cult classic of many jazz record collectors.

This is a great reissue!!

William
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #46
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Heard this on NPR Fresh Air

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16735541

Dewey Redman is Joshua Redman's Father.

Formerly long out-of-print, The Struggle Continues became a cult classic of many jazz record collectors.

This is a great reissue!!

William
That is a great re-issue.... I hadn't even heard about Dewey's passing until now. Glad we have such a great work to remember him by!

Thanks for the info, Will.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #47
LJ Rock

Default Eddie Palmieri

For those who love the classics of Salsa and Latin jazz.... one of the all time greatest!

"Cobarde"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1Lb...eature=related

"Puerto Rico"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HbCt...eature=related

Vaya!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #48
LJ Rock

*bump-ditty-bump-da-bump-da-bump-POW!*

Gonna try one last time revive my little jazz thread here before I give up and just let it die a dignified and jazzified death.

Some stuff I've been listening to lately: a recent release by pianist Cyrus Chestnut called Cyrus Plays Elvis. The title is self explanatory, and there are some lovely modern-jazz renditions of the deceased rock and roller's most memorable numbers on here, exquisitely executed by Chestnut's magnificent trio. One highlight in particular I am especially fond of is his version of Love Me Tender (or Aura Lee as it was previously known.) Cyrus takes this beautiful, timeless melody and transforms it into something ethereal with clever reharmonization and swinging jazz-waltz feel.

Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyrus-Plays-El.../dp/B000VAQX5A

Also, a rediscovery of an old favorite: clarinetist Eddie Daniels recorded a song back in the 80's called Dreaming which has long been a personal favorite of mine. I haven't heard it in years, but just recently downloaded The Eddie Daniels Collection off of iTunes. It is really wonderful to hear this beautiful melody once again. If you are at all a fan of jazz clarinet I highly recommend it.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #49
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

didn't know this coltrane tune until today. somewhat similar to "giant steps" but still nice.

mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #50
LJ Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejix View Post
didn't know this coltrane tune until today. somewhat similar to "giant steps" but still nice.

Oh my gosh, yes... "Central Park West" is a beautiful ballad from Trane, one of my personal favorites from him. One of a number of tunes he based around the II-V-I changes found in "Giant Steps." Great tune, mejix... thanks for posting!