Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #51
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Found a video clip of Willie the Lion Smith in England basically demonstrating the history of Jazz piano from the days of ragtime to stride to some modern methods of playing. Very good program and demonstrates how the Lion entertained while educating the audience.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #52
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggletiger View Post
Found a video clip of Willie the Lion Smith in England basically demonstrating the history of Jazz piano from the days of ragtime to stride to some modern methods of playing. Very good program and demonstrates how the Lion entertained while educating the audience.
Sweet! Is this the clip here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCug5HG9jLg

Fantastic clip here, with Billy Taylor and The Duke! Three giants of jazz piano in one clip... far out man!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #53
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!snuggletiger has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LGuW5kgZ0
There's 6 parts to this show. Part 5 Lion Smith plays a great rendition of Nagaskai.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #54
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Love the clip of Willie The Lion Smith.

Here's another

David Frost Show: Billy Taylor-Duke Ellington and Willie The Lion Smith
playing Peridido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCug5...eature=related

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LGuW5kgZ0
There's 6 parts to this show. Part 5 Lion Smith plays a great rendition of Nagaskai.
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #55
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3h_n00b View Post
you have to watch these to believe them.

Stanley Jordan - Autumn Leaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXQz_k20YI

Stanley Jordan - Stairwat to Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs
Just checked this guy out today.

HOLY FUCK. Guitarists, take note; at no point does Jordan ever touch the string with a pick - it's ALL tapping.

*angstangstangstangstwristdamn I suck*
Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #56
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Trane

*bump*

I just found this wonderful footage of Coltrane doing Every Time We Say Goodbye on YouTube today, and I just had to post it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjlz3DYmTw

Maybe we can breath some life back into the jazz thread.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #57
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

my "favorite song of all time" of this week:

blame it on my youth as sung by chet baker towards the end of his career.
mejix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #58
snuggletiger
Clowns Fear Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w

Diz and Louis having a session together. DIg Junior Mance singing at the piano.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #59
mejix
meh

mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!mejix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w

Diz and Louis having a session together. DIg Junior Mance singing at the piano.
thanks for posting. looks like armstrong is trying to test dizzy. wish they could've played longer!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #60
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

A twist on some Duke Ellington.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Be4UjV2jA
Mind = blown.
Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #61
mejix
meh

the brad mehldau trio plays radiohead

Last edited by mejix; 09-26-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: ocd
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #62
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagimawr View Post
A twist on some Duke Ellington.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Be4UjV2jA
Mind = blown.
I like the video interesing how they mix the Duke with Beyonce.

Now we have to also pay homage to Max Fliescher- so many of the great (pre Hays Code)Betty Boop cartoons would feature many of the Jazz Stars of the 1930's. You can think of these cartoons as the "MTV" clips of it's day. Of course we must also acknowledge the racial message of the cartoons and sadly the movies during this period.

You compare the movements of Cab Calloway to the cartoon Characters via the Fliescher "Rotoscope" technique

Cab Calloway (Minne the Moocher)

The Great Satchmo - Belting "I'll be Glad When You're Dead you Rascal You" (1932)

Betty Boop with Louis Armstrong(1932)

Now at 3:49 is Satchmo saying "You M_F'er Boy". Who knew "Gangsta Satchmo" - and Depression Era Sentence Enhancers Now many debate that Satchmo is not cursing-but, you'll have to listen and make your own opinions ...

Also at 4:25 what does the Hebrew Symbol on the Koko the Clown's Speedometer mean?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #63
hillking12

hillking12 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokeshillking12 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

u guys should check out west montgomery playing impressions originally written by the late great john coltrane. its stunnig how fast he plays with only his thumb
hillking12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #64
Tanuki
Bear. Rawr~!

Tanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I absolutely Love Jazz...

I mostly listen to older recordings, the classics, I adore delving into the back catalog of people like Coltrane... because though I love it i have rarely been exposed to 99.9% or whats out there, I mean, My Dad is into jazz, but he got me into other genres like Blues and Prog rock, but Jazz for me its like a whole alien universe of music for me to explore, its staggering, mind blowing ... incredible, I also have a soft spot for the 70s I'm a big Jaco Pastorius fan and got into a lot of artists from this era by listaning to peole he played with

Been listening to a lot of different recordings of Sweet Sue, Just You lately, I think I'm going to go do that now ^.^
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #65
mejix
meh

ronnie foster's "mystic brew".

vijay iyer's "galang"
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #66
rg770Ibanez
goochmaster

rg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going onrg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going onrg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going onrg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going onrg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going onrg770Ibanez knows EXACTLY what's going on

Two words...
Charlie Hunter
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #67
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Atomic Cocktail - Big Cheese and the Jive Rats

And what is an Atomic Cocktail...

ATOMIC COCKTAIL
Ingredients:
2 oz. grapefruit juice
2 oz. pineapple juice
1/2 oz. Galliano
1 oz. Plymouth Gin
Mixing instructions:
Mix in a highball glass 2/3rds filled with ice.

[SIGPIC]http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/image.php?u=841&type=sigpic&dateline=1258169105[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2015, 12:56 AM   #68
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Three Little Words

Art Tatum
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #69
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

I don't have any clips to share right now but I just listened to an ART BLAKEY AND THE JAZZ MESSENGERS LP the other night and it was glorious...I forget which one though but they're all wonderful.

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #70
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Thanks, folks . . .

Thanks for resurrecting this wonderful old thread. I mentioned on another such thread (instrumental music) that half the fun is the nostalgia of seeing the contributions from people long gone or dead - and rising to "those thrilling days of yesteryear". Some of you will remember that as part of the intro to the radio version of "The Lone Ranger".

I have a strong liking for jazz, as I do for many types of music, but to claim I love it would imply a depth of knowledge that I can't pretend to.

To be something of a participant in this thread, I offer you Irv Williams. Irv is now (in 2016) 96 years old and still plays his tenor sax every Friday at the Dakota Emporium of Jazz in Minneapolis. At the link you will find an interview with Irv, featuring comments and cuts of Dakota performances.

Until about five years ago, I was an admirer of Irv's and knew him to talk to. We bought his CDs whenever a new one was available, keeping some for ourselves and giving the rest away, either to people who had little acquaintance with jazz, or to those that loved jazz of Irv's style. When I turned 75, we threw a pretty good birthday party. I told Irv that he would provide much of the entertainment via his CDs. He turned to me and said "Why don't you invite me too?" I was flabbergasted but gulped and replied, "Why of course." He came, with his sax and one of his sidemen, and played for hours, with the occasional break.

The whole event is one long precious memory but one moment in particular stands out. My older son was up from Arizona, bringing his wife and intensely curious 4 y.o. (at that time) son. Little Finn spend many minutes staring into the bell of Irv's sax, trying to figure out where the music was coming from. It is a memory that I have shared with Irv many times since. Alas! The only pictures we have of that moment are those in our minds.

Since then, we have been to each other's parties several times. I once asked Irv if he would play at my funeral. He said "Sure, if you will dance at mine!" I saw him recently at the Dakota and told him "Irv, you had better keep playing because I haven't learned to dance yet."

It is my pleasure and great honor to be able to call him a friend.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 AM   #71
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Ho Tai View Post
Thanks for resurrecting this wonderful old thread. I mentioned on another such thread (instrumental music) that half the fun is the nostalgia of seeing the contributions from people long gone or dead - and rising to "those thrilling days of yesteryear". Some of you will remember that as part of the intro to the radio version of "The Lone Ranger".

I have a strong liking for jazz, as I do for many types of music, but to claim I love it would imply a depth of knowledge that I can't pretend to.

To be something of a participant in this thread, I offer you Irv Williams. Irv is now (in 2016) 96 years old and still plays his tenor sax every Friday at the Dakota Emporium of Jazz in Minneapolis. At the link you will find an interview with Irv, featuring comments and cuts of Dakota performances.

Until about five years ago, I was an admirer of Irv's and knew him to talk to. We bought his CDs whenever a new one was available, keeping some for ourselves and giving the rest away, either to people who had little acquaintance with jazz, or to those that loved jazz of Irv's style. When I turned 75, we threw a pretty good birthday party. I told Irv that he would provide much of the entertainment via his CDs. He turned to me and said "Why don't you invite me too?" I was flabbergasted but gulped and replied, "Why of course." He came, with his sax and one of his sidemen, and played for hours, with the occasional break.

The whole event is one long precious memory but one moment in particular stands out. My older son was up from Arizona, bringing his wife and intensely curious 4 y.o. (at that time) son. Little Finn spend many minutes staring into the bell of Irv's sax, trying to figure out where the music was coming from. It is a memory that I have shared with Irv many times since. Alas! The only pictures we have of that moment are those in our minds.

Since then, we have been to each other's parties several times. I once asked Irv if he would play at my funeral. He said "Sure, if you will dance at mine!" I saw him recently at the Dakota and told him "Irv, you had better keep playing because I haven't learned to dance yet."

It is my pleasure and great honor to be able to call him a friend.

He plays phenomenally well! Nice near 30 minute excerpt about Irv playing on his sax right there on the link! Wonderful share, sir Tai!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 PM   #72
LJ Rock

Default Thembi by Pharoah Sanders

I'm really happy to see that this thread is still going!

Right now I am listening to the Pharoah Sanders album Thembi on Spotify. If you're not familiar with it, check out the link here:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Dz5vD2zfKr8OVtIgpcWOy

Very cool stuff, kind of a nice transitional work from the wild avant guard free jazz movement of the 60s to the cooled-out electric funk jazz of the 70s. I'm particularly fond of the opening track Astral Traveling. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pharoah_sanders-thembi.jpg (181.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM   #73
swamptoad
Berry Good!

Talking Sesame Street: Billy Joel And Marlee Matlin Sing Just The Way You Are