Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Events & Community > Other areas
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
kathynoon
Jersey Irish BBW

kathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticed
Default Questions about Adelaide, Australia

My company has asked me and 4 co-workers to attend a week-long meeting in Adelaide in Mid-January. I am very excited about this trip.

For those of you familar with the area, I have some questions.

() We are staying at the Grand Chancellor hotel on Currie Street. They say it is within a 1 minute walk to the Rundle Mall. Most of the hotels we tried were booked due to the Tour Down Under. But we were able to book 5 rooms at the Chancellor today. Now we are wondering, is something wrong with the hotel, that it was not booked also. Any ideas?

() The meetings will get done on Friday. I will fly home on Sunday. The rest of the group is leaving Saturday. So I will have all of Saturday on my own. I will not have a car, since I know I would get in an accident if I tried to drive on the other side of the road. So I will have to get around by public transportation or by walking. What are good things to see and do in the area? I like museums, historical sites, military related things, and shopping. I also like bus and boat tours.

() The weather sites say to expect temperatures in the 90s. Does it get humid, or is it a dry heat, or what?

() Anyone in the area want to get together for a lunch, dinner, or meet-up on the 26th? I'd love to meet some Dimmers from the other side of the world.

Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer was I worth dying for? ... Eleanor Roosevelt

Ideals such as peace, freedom, justice, opportunity and individualism are just dreams without someone to turn those ideals into reality. Let's never forget the debt we owe our fellow citizens.

kathynoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

Hi Kathy,

Glad to see you're making the trip out.

A shame you can't hang around a little longer and visit a real Aussie city like Melbourne.

If you're visiting in January, it will be hot and dry.

I've only been to Adelaide once or twice and that was a long time ago but I hear its a beautiful town. They call it the 'city of churches' as it was founded on religious freedoms.

This site may help with places to see and things to do.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Adelaide

I think there may be a dimmer or two from SA but I'm not sure...

Hope you have a great time!

mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
bbwjb

bbwjb has said some nice things

Hi Ya Kathy,
Adelaide is beautiful. Rundle Mall is pretty cool if you like to shop. But 3 things I highly recommend you do is a Barossa Valley wine tour. There is a a little winery run by Maggie Beers called Pheasant Farm. Second thing is to go to a resturant called The Greedy Goose http://www.thegreedygoose.com.au The food just melts in your mouth. You have to book. Don't have dessert there, because the final stop and my favourite is the The Elephant Walk Cafe. It is on the same street as the Greedy Goose. It does the best desserts and coffee. EVER! It is a very hippie place and very casual. Lots of lounges and dim lights and candles.
As for the weather is gets very hot & depends which part of town you are from will depend on the type of hot. Generally it is dry.
Hope you have fun.
Helena
bbwjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
Richard Davion

Richard Davion has said some nice things
Default The City-of-Churches.

'Had'-it-Been May-to-October I-Would Have Offered to Take-You Out-'Bush' for a Bit-of-a-Jaunt and Showed-You South-Australia's Most-Beautiful Sundew: Drosera-praefolia!!!???

As-it-Is You Can-Go to Any of Our Beaches Before 10-AM and After 7.30PM and Not-Have to Use Sunscreen. Mid-February the Sun Doesn't 'Set' Until 'Around' 8.45PM!
Richard Davion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
kathynoon
Jersey Irish BBW

kathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticedkathynoon never has a post go unnoticed
Default Another Question - Australia Day

Thanks for the information all. I have found out that my free day will be the same day as the Australia Day 2008 event. I have not found a lot of information, but it looks like events around the country to celebrate being Australian. Is this right? What kind of crowds join in? And, would a foreigner be welcome to join in? There is one in Elder Park, which looks not far from where I am staying. As long as I don't pass out from the heat, I think I would enjoy doing this.

Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer was I worth dying for? ... Eleanor Roosevelt

Ideals such as peace, freedom, justice, opportunity and individualism are just dreams without someone to turn those ideals into reality. Let's never forget the debt we owe our fellow citizens.

kathynoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Shosh
Susannah

Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.Shosh has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathynoon View Post
Thanks for the information all. I have found out that my free day will be the same day as the Australia Day 2008 event. I have not found a lot of information, but it looks like events around the country to celebrate being Australian. Is this right? What kind of crowds join in? And, would a foreigner be welcome to join in? There is one in Elder Park, which looks not far from where I am staying. As long as I don't pass out from the heat, I think I would enjoy doing this.

Hey Kathy,

Australia Day is on January 26th. There are events held in all of the various states around the country.

Check out

http://www.australiaday.gov.au

Click on the South Australian section of the map, and then click on the side panel for the various different pieces of information.

Elder Park is having their celebration kick off from 11am. That looks a good event.

As for letting Yanks join in our celebrations? Well I don't know. Maybe not.

Of course! Anybody is welcome to go nuts and join in on that day.
I will be going to a barbeque on that day. It is horribly hot here at the moment though. I am in Melbourne.

Enjoy.

Susannah

Last edited by Shosh; 01-05-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Shosh is offline   Reply With Quote