Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 10-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Chat zombies??

I dearly love chat. I love the system I found and installed at Dimensions over three years ago. I did it because BeSeen was dying and because I had seen the miracle of streaming chat at Hipsters. Rapid-fire conversation. Yeah!

By almost all standards, Dimensions chat has been a huge success. It's a 24/7 party and has been from the start. People meet in there and get married. Amazing.

There are frustrating parts, too. Obviously, there's the troll issue, but we have that pretty much under control. No, what frosts me is that we seem to have an inordinate number of zombies in there. I check chat. 35 people. yeah! So I go in to find......... silence. So you wait. Silence. Maybe two or three people are having a halting conversation. Silence. You may inquire if anyone is here, or, god forbid, even ask a question. Result? You guessed it. More silence.

I mean, what does one need chat for if one wants to be silent? Why have an interactive software product running on a separate server when an answer to a question takes anywhere from three minutes to never? I can't think of a reason. Are people perhaps simply using chat to PM with each other, and everything else be damned? Are they doing 17 other things and aren't really there? Are they dead?

This is really starting to turn me off the chat system. I like rapid-fire intelligent conversation. E-n-d-l-e-s-s waiting is too lame to waste computer resources on!
Webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

I actually find the chatroom a bit slow conpared with java based rooms/mirc/IM's so I don't tend to use it.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I can't think why people would do this on your server, but people use chat bots in IRC to keep the channel from being taken over.
moonvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

How about putting a link on the forums directly to the chat room? Mebbe some new chatters might find a new home there and inject some life
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think a lot of times, people are either multi-tasking and away from the chat screen for a moment or are busy pm-ing frantically to one another
Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default My name is TFG and I'm a chatroom zombie.

I am guilty of being a chatroom zombie. Sometimes I use my regular name, sometimes under my lurker name. I am a consistent multi-tasker and rarely only in the chat room unless the room conversation moves to something I care about, but even then I likely have a game of Spider Solitaire or Scrabble up as well. Often I'm surfing the net in smaller window on top of the chat window browsing the chat just below to see what people are talking about. I rarely private message anymore because I have a boyfriend and most of the PMs I receive are inappropriate or boring and I simply don't want to drop everything else I'm doing and focus on one person.

I should mention my boyfriend and I met in Dim chat. After a few months of chatting, we met in person in July and really hit it off. I'd call it a success story for what it is so far and who knows what the future holds I'm grateful for Dim Chat and to Conrad or our paths would never have crossed.

Hopefully the lurkers aren't weighing down the server too much. A lot of us are there and really enjoying the room, even if we're not always actively participating in the conversation.

That Wicked Fat Girl (my chat name for the month of October.. hehe),
Laura

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Cheryl05

Cheryl05 has said some nice things
Default The Chat Zombies Who Aren't Even There

There are indeed those who use chat to lurk while they multi-task elsewhere, to PM with friends until something strikes their fancy, and then there are those in a third catagory. Its those who leave the room without formally logging out.

I think the room eventually times them out. But it seems inordinately long. If its really consuming bandwidth perhaps it should be reduced to 10 minutes without posting to the room or in PM. If its not a bandwidth issue maybe the limit should be 30 minutes or an hour.

Just a comment.
Cheryl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I go through spurts

Dont tell my boss but Im usually on while at work during the week. Because of that I usually ALWAYS doing like 5 other things. Sometimes I chat alot and sometimes I just watch or "listen". Im in PM here and there but nothing major. I have to say though I do see names up top that just sit there and the people NEVER speak even when spoken too. THATS just odd. its like they are there to look at the pics and nothing else.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.Webmaster has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsexy920
Dont tell my boss but Im usually on while at work during the week. Because of that I usually ALWAYS doing like 5 other things. Sometimes I chat alot and sometimes I just watch or "listen". Im in PM here and there but nothing major. I have to say though I do see names up top that just sit there and the people NEVER speak even when spoken too. THATS just odd. its like they are there to look at the pics and nothing else.
I hear that a lot. And normally it doesn't bother me when people just sit there and don't say a peep. Sometimes it does bother me. Like when I ask a question and actually need an answer. Then I feel like, hey, why do I bother spending my time and money setting up this facility when people are neither really there nor can be bothered to give me an answer? "Streaming chat" is just that; a place to go when one wants to talk. If someone logs in and then lets the session sit there 24 hours a day as sort of a monitor, all it does is take up bandwidth and makes other people think friends and chatters are there when, in fact, they are not.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFatGirl
I am guilty of being a chatroom zombie. Sometimes I use my regular name, sometimes under my lurker name. I am a consistent multi-tasker and rarely only in the chat room unless the room conversation moves to something I care about, but even then I likely have a game of Spider Solitaire or Scrabble up as well. Often I'm surfing the net in smaller window on top of the chat window browsing the chat just below to see what people are talking about. I rarely private message anymore because I have a boyfriend and most of the PMs I receive are inappropriate or boring and I simply don't want to drop everything else I'm doing and focus on one person.

...Hopefully the lurkers aren't weighing down the server too much. A lot of us are there and really enjoying the room, even if we're not always actively participating in the conversation.
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. And Ditto.
I'm in chat right now as I'm posting this, even.

(P.S. I'm really happy for you, Laura )
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
Webmaster
Chief Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. And Ditto.
I'm in chat right now as I'm posting this, even.
Yes, but you generally answer when spoken to, and you often put that AFK type of image up. Nothing wrong with that. What bothers me is the folks who go to chat simply to PM, or try to pick up people and whisk them away to their personal IM, while totally ignoring everyone and never actually participating.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
Yes, but you generally answer when spoken to, and you often put that AFK type of image up. Nothing wrong with that. What bothers me is the folks who go to chat simply to PM, or try to pick up people and whisk them away to their personal IM, while totally ignoring everyone and never actually participating.
Ah, gotcha. And yes, the ones who enter and repeatedly bleat "anyone want to chat on Yahoo" do get annoying.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote