Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Clothing/Fashion

Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
MadeFA

MadeFA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMadeFA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Old Navy Pulling Plus Sized Clothing?!?!?!?

--this is copy/pasted from the beautiful actress/model Mia Amber Davis' website (the big and beautiful woman who portrayed the sexy "Rhonda" in the movie Road Trip). I hope she does not mind --
**also, I did do a thread search and could not find this topic posted previously**

Hi,
I don't know if you're aware of this but beginning this summer plus sizes are being removed from Old Navy Stores nationwide. We will still be able to shop online at oldnavy.com but we'll no longer have the ability to touch, feel and try on the garments like their other consumers.

Today at the store on 18th street and 6th ave in NYC I was made aware of the plan and asked to speak with a manager. When I asked him why they were kicking us out of their stores the reason he gave was that corporate felt it was a poor business decision to incorporate plus sizes into their stores. I questioned how catering to the majority of the United States population was a poor business decision and he told me that I was not the first to ask.

He said the business wasn't going well in the plus sector and I gave him a list of possible reasons why including their fit and lack of plus marketing. I offered that they should make an effort to fix the problem and find out why they weren't doing well instead of banishing us to the internet.

Turns out that the person I spoke with is also a Customer Service Rep and he's in charge of feedback to the corporate offices. He encouraged me to get as many women as possible on board to overload Old Navy's website and telephone lines with complaints about this move in an effort to halt it.

Please, even if you don't wear clothes (plus sized or not) from Old Navy take a minute to take a stand for all of us. Please send and email to:

custserv@oldnavy.com or call 1-800-Old-Navy

We need to start standing up for ourselves letting retailers know that we deserve the same rights as our straight sized counterparts.

Unity In the Plus Community,

Mia

I think this is an outrage!

Last edited by MadeFA; 01-26-2008 at 08:18 AM.
MadeFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
saucywench

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeFA View Post
**also, I did do a thread search and could not find this topic posted previously**
Clothing/Fashion forum

...which is where your post will likely wind up. There may be more than one thread about it. There are several Old Navy discussions on that forum, but this is the first one I ran across in my search that discussed this particular topic.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
RevolOggerp

RevolOggerp has said some nice things

Is this permanent or temporary... all stores or specific locations... etc?

When you say "plus sizes", how big are we talking about?
RevolOggerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think this actually happened a while ago. On the website, even, it says *Exclusively Online* under Women's Plus.

And please GOD, don't let them change the fit. Their wonky sizing is the happy mistake that allows me to shop there.

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
RevolOggerp

RevolOggerp has said some nice things

I never knew that Old navy had plus sized clothes... is that for men and women, or just women?
RevolOggerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolOggerp View Post
I never knew that Old navy had plus sized clothes... is that for men and women, or just women?
They have extended sizes for men too, I believe...it's just under 'men', while women's plus sizes has its own section.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yep, happened a while ago. I actually think it was a good thing--they have FAR more selection now in their plus sizes. And it is wonderfully, generously cut (as Ashley mentioned).
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
onecurvybabe

onecurvybabe has said some nice things

yup yup happened last year. I miss going into the store. I am never one size int heir stuff. While at Torrid or LB I am a 26, I tend to be a 22 at Old Navy...Atleast they have free returns! BUT i LOVE their stuff..super cute and similiar to the fashions in the straight sizes. They are cheap too!!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yup, we have a whole thread on when this happened and some email exchanges with the company, etc.

Honestly, they have WAY more selections in the biggest sizes now that it's all online, they were so often completely sold out of all the 4x stuff before.

I just burned through my $50 gift card about 3 minutes ago, and finally jumped on the band wagon and bought my first pair of their jeans. I'm still fully expecting them not to fit me, but I had to give it a shot - they were on sale for $22 bucks.

AND for you girls who've been waiting, they finally have some of the 4x tanks back in stock. I just grabbed another white and a black. I LOVE those tanks so damn much, can't stand it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

so....did anyone else panic when they saw this heading and think they were pulling them from online now? lol...I know I did!
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
BrunetteBeauty80

BrunetteBeauty80 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post

I just burned through my $50 gift card about 3 minutes ago, and finally jumped on the band wagon and bought my first pair of their jeans. I'm still fully expecting them not to fit me, but I had to give it a shot - they were on sale for $22 bucks.

AND for you girls who've been waiting, they finally have some of the 4x tanks back in stock. I just grabbed another white and a black. I LOVE those tanks so damn much, can't stand it.
Am, please let us know how the jeans fit. I have been wondering myself but not willing to take the chance (hate having to send things back when bought online). Are the tanks long in the torso? I am looking for the long type tanks for layering and can't seem to find any!
BrunetteBeauty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I'm hurt that you've completely disregarded our pants-sharing at Labor Day.

They'll fit!

As for the fit question, there are many threads where this has been discussed, and the consensus is that Old Navy jeans run quite big. The 32s are just a tad too baggy for me, and, in most pants, I'm at least a 34. So size down!

Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunetteBeauty80 View Post
Am, please let us know how the jeans fit. I have been wondering myself but not willing to take the chance (hate having to send things back when bought online). Are the tanks long in the torso? I am looking for the long type tanks for layering and can't seem to find any!
I have testified many times around here about the tanks. I LOVE them.

Good weight, great length (long, but not insanely long), they hold up wonderfully, and the ARMPITS FIT!!! Meaning, your whole damn bra isn't hanging out the side of your shirt... they actually fit. It's quite amazing.

LOVE them, will freak out when they're gone someday.

Buy one now.

If you're not normally outsized for LB, you won't have any trouble with the ON jeans - lots of the bigger girls here wear them. But since I'm not able to wear any bottoms from LB and very few from Avenue, I've been really hesitant - but I will let you know as soon as I get them!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
so....did anyone else panic when they saw this heading and think they were pulling them from online now? lol...I know I did!

hell yes I did, I absolutely love their clothes and get almost everything from their now.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #15
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The next big thing (for me) to figure out about ON: any chance their bathing suits work? Will have to see!
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
ekmanifest

ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ekmanifest has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

curious to hear how their jeans fit you.

Quote:
Yup, we have a whole thread on when this happened and some email exchanges with the company, etc.

Honestly, they have WAY more selections in the biggest sizes now that it's all online, they were so often completely sold out of all the 4x stuff before.

http://ssbbw-matchmaking.blogspot.com/
ekmanifest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
vcrgrrl

vcrgrrl has said some nice things

I've purchased Old Navy jeans for years, and I love the way they fit. It's a real shame that they pulled the plus sizes out of the stores. I'm the type that likes to try stuff on before I buy.
vcrgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
BrunetteBeauty80

BrunetteBeauty80 can now change their title

Quote:
I have testified many times around here about the tanks. I LOVE them.

Good weight, great length (long, but not insanely long), they hold up wonderfully, and the ARMPITS FIT!!! Meaning, your whole damn bra isn't hanging out the side of your shirt... they actually fit. It's quite amazing.

LOVE them, will freak out when they're gone someday.

Buy one now.

If you're not normally outsized for LB, you won't have any trouble with the ON jeans - lots of the bigger girls here wear them. But since I'm not able to wear any bottoms from LB and very few from Avenue, I've been really hesitant - but I will let you know as soon as I get them!

Thank you for that, I appreciate it. The tanks you are talking about...are they the basic colored ones? They have a few on the website, and I was going to get some, but wasn't sure about the arm fit. Thanks for that!

Also, yes, I am outsized for the LB jeans. I think anyway. I haven't bought a pair of jeans from The Avenue for a few years, but their denim lights used to fit well. The fashion bug ones actually fit which I was surprised about.

I look forward to hearing how your haul turned out!
BrunetteBeauty80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
DeniseW
Fat don't crack!!

DeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions communityDeniseW is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

are you talking about the rib tanks? They look really comfy, I'm going to order a couple for summer. Oops, sorry didn't see post above asking about the tanks.

Last edited by DeniseW; 02-04-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: didn't see post above.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
BrownEyedChica

BrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging inBrownEyedChica makes people happy simply by logging in

I have a question though to those who have worn Old Navy... do their sizes usually run small? compared to Lane Bryant? Just curious.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 AM   #21
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmamma84 View Post
They have extended sizes for men too, I believe...it's just under 'men', while women's plus sizes has its own section.
From all appearances, in my experience, one of the joys of shopping for non-fat women is to inadvertently wander into the plus size sections of stores, to pick up an item they find fetching, then to call a friend over who will, with a peculiar mix of alarm and mockery in her voice, ask the first friend, "What are you doing in the fat ladies' section?" To which the first person responds in horror with a "Ewwww," immediately dropping the garment in question as if it were covered in toxins.

This is followed by much snickering and a hastily beaten path out of the plus section.

I've seen this happen, more or less following the same script, dozens of times in my adult shopping career.

Apparently this is why the separate plus section is necessary. How could non-fat women feel superior otherwise?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #22
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

I find that most Old Navy tops run pretty large. I do have one pair of jeans that are pretty true to size, but no dress pants.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #23
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinita View Post
From all appearances, in my experience, one of the joys of shopping for non-fat women is to inadvertently wander into the plus size sections of stores, to pick up an item they find fetching, then to call a friend over who will, with a peculiar mix of alarm and mockery in her voice, ask the first friend, "What are you doing in the fat ladies' section?" To which the first person responds in horror with a "Ewwww," immediately dropping the garment in question as if it were covered in toxins.

This is followed by much snickering and a hastily beaten path out of the plus section.

I've seen this happen, more or less following the same script, dozens of times in my adult shopping career.

Apparently this is why the separate plus section is necessary. How could non-fat women feel superior otherwise?
Bitches
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #24
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinita View Post

This very scenario you describe is what I witnessed while shopping in the plus section of Macy's a while ago. I was there, browsing and having a lovely time scoping at the cute fat girl duds and these two skinny chicks wander over to the section and start holding up pants and gawking at how big they are...instead of going over to them and asking them what the hell their problem was, I just shot them a look. As in, if you don't put those seersucker pinstripe pants down and step away, I will eat you -- both of you.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #25
Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedChica View Post
I have a question though to those who have worn Old Navy... do their sizes usually run small? compared to Lane Bryant? Just curious.
Actually from all I've heard, their plus sizes run larger. My daughter who is a 2X at Lane Bryant (3X at Torrid) can wear the 1X tops at Old Navy. She normally wears a 22/24 at Lane in Skirts, but bought a 20 skirt at Old Navy.

Hopefully others will chime in soon.
Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote