Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 05-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Discovery Health Channel show on post-WLS issues

While I was making potato salad for tommorrow, my husband called me in to see a show on Discovery Health, about a guy who had WLS, lost 130 lbs and then had surgery to remove loose skin. He thought I'd find it interesting since I'm anti-WLS and have loose skin issues myself.

Did anyone else see this show? I swear, that guy could cut off all the loose skin (which he had done), and work out until he had biceps of steel and I STILL would not ever date him. People that shallow and superficial, with self esteem that low, SCARE me. Even his own sister said she didn't think his two surgeries would cure the self esteem problems he evidently had. Hell, what's that guy going to do when he's 80 and loses his looks after all those surgeries? How about when he loses his hair?
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Here is an online link about the show:

http://health.discovery.com/tvlistin...=0&channel=DHC

In my search, I also found a *very* interesting link with some added info about Brad Ryan (the guy featured in the show):

http://forums.bellaonline.com/showfl...32&an=0&page=0
Hmm!

Last edited by FitChick; 05-28-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

Anita...I did not look at the link; but keep in mind that often it's not a matter of vanity or self esteem when you have the excess skin removed. There is a real danger of getting cellulitis or other staph infections that are potentially fatal if the skin is not removed.

Since I just had mine done; I think I can speak that it's not an easy decision to make; just like the WLS itself. Often there are MANY factors going into the process. Some we will share with everyone; others...not so much.

"Yawn and the world yawns with you. Snore and you sleep alone."

Anonymous
RedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
FitChick
On Timeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHead
Anita...I did not look at the link; but keep in mind that often it's not a matter of vanity or self esteem when you have the excess skin removed. There is a real danger of getting cellulitis or other staph infections that are potentially fatal if the skin is not removed.

Since I just had mine done; I think I can speak that it's not an easy decision to make; just like the WLS itself. Often there are MANY factors going into the process. Some we will share with everyone; others...not so much.
You should have looked at the link, or better yet, watch the show. Also, check the link I posted 2nd, from that other forum. The guy apparently has a history with Bowflex ads ( evidently he does ads for Bowflex in which people are led to believe he got that body via using Bowflex, when he got it via WLS and surgery).

I watched the TV show earlier; NOT ONCE did he or his dr address any health concerns with the loose skin. It was 100% about vanity and wanting to "get women", etc. by his OWN admission.

Last edited by FitChick; 05-28-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick
You should have looked at the link, or better yet, watch the show. Also, check the link I posted 2nd, from that other forum. The guy apparently has a history with Bowflex ads ( evidently he does ads for Bowflex in which people are led to believe he got that body via using Bowflex, when he got it via WLS and surgery).

I watched the TV show earlier; NOT ONCE did he or his dr address any health concerns with the loose skin. It was 100% about vanity and wanting to "get women", etc. by his OWN admission.
Anita, I did go back and look at the links; it is nothing for advertisers to hire someone to protray their product in the best light. I find nothing wrong with what they did. It's always been about the consumer beware.

Regarding the show; we did not see every part of the show. The paperwork alone that you get clearly states that excess skin may be a problem that could be dealt with later. They even offer to remove the panney at the time of surgery. What we viewed was the sugar coated version of WLS...if you are really interested in the truth order one of their pre-op packages and read it for yourself!

Anonymous
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

The first link was dead and the second is a web board where people can post what they like. hardly reliable.

It doesn't surprise me that they use a guy who's had surgeries to look better. that doesn't mean he didn't use a bowflex to get his results too. Advertisers air brush, hire people who've had major work done, and do a variety of other things to sell a product. If you're doing research on products you'll sift through the crap to find the info you need to make a decision. If you're just rushing into major purchases based on a commercial, I feel badly that you were sucked into buying something based on a fishy marketing tactic (and by you here I mean the general you, not anyone specific) but that doesn't mean you won't end up with a decent product anyway.

As far as the skin goes- anyone getting WLS knows it will probably be a problem and if its not, pleasant surprise then.

For some people, the skin is uncomfortable, gets irritated, infected and any number of other problems. For others, its more a matter of feeling awkward and unattractive with the loose shapeless skin. It might seem superficial, but I don't begrudge or judge people for wanting to be at home in their own bodies.This isn't really a priority to me- but who am I to tell someone else that their desire to be attractive to others and wish to get closer to the mental image they have for themselves is wrong or bad?

Do I think they should have some counseling at the same time as they think about plastic surgery or WLS? Sure, but most of us could use a little counseling or therapy anyway.

I do think too many people have too much of their identity and esteem wrapped in what they look like, but many people have their esteem and identity wrapped up in one aspect of themselves that is just as arbitrary as appearance, and perhaps just as superficial in a different way. So really, if someone feels better about themself if they have some contouring work done, where is the harm to you or me?
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

CG,

Awesome post and totally true!

Anonymous
Old 05-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
Aliena

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink

I agree Red; that was a well written post CG, thank you!
Well, I am in the process of persuing WLS and I tell you what, I am fully aware of loose skin and the possibilities of the health risks it will have to me. They (a WLS clinic) don't hide the fact and a person that really does their homework, aren't mis informed. It's like Vickie wrote, it's selective learning.
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:28 AM   #9
PrettyKitty
Dorkus Maximus

PrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPrettyKitty can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Wow, I watched the Discovery show about Brad Ryan. All the surgeries he had to get the more trim body. I can't believe he is doing Bowflex ads. But maybe he's not intending to deceive people? I mean, perhaps he is using the Bowflex to keep his body toned after having had the surgeries.
But, yes, anyone that didn't see his show will think he got that way with only the machine, and that's bad. I hope it's not intentional.
PrettyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't care who Brad Ryan is.

I don't care why he had weight loss surgery.

I don't assume he represents all WLS patients.

Jerks have this surgery. Nice people have this surgery. People have it for good and bad reasons. The end.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #11
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You really need to stop making things so damn complicated, SL. What's a girl to do?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

I can't help it! I'm a pietous shrew.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

Now I'm confused... I thought you were an immodest whore
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

Oh, I'm a lot of things. I like to keep a diverse portfolio.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #15
crazygrad

I guess next week you'll be a farting slattern... where's my score card? I need to keep track.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #16
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

I was that LAST week! Ugh.