Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 05-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #26
Dibaby35
Chicken n' Dumplings

Dibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesDibaby35 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Make sure you bring some lip balm too...oh man the one thing I was really missing in the hospital.
Dibaby35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #27
Aliena

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink Happy, Healthy, Healing To You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rocks
Thank you so much Dianna! And thank you to everyone for not flaming me

I got my approval today from the insurance company. I'll know next week when my date is for sure.

Robin, your words touched me and I wanted to send you some healing energy. I can see that this was a difficult decision for you and I hope that the surgery goes well for you and that you have a quick recovery.
I too have turned down dates with friends, because I couldn't do a simple thing; walk.

Anyways, I am the one rambling, because there is a lot I want to share, but I'm just not ready.
Good luck to you--
Dee
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #28
Aliena

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink

Miss Vickie and everyone else, thank you for sharing your experiences with this surgery.

Crazygrad, I have chronic pain from back problems and I am glad for the insight you gave about the "bolster" for the lap ban. I teetering between the lap ban and the R-N-Y. There are definitely a lot of questions I am going to ask my Dr.

I have a major question. Can anyone recommend a good websight to get support and information? I appreciate any information; thank you in advance!
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

Aliena,

Unfortunately I never found one web site that was of any use to me for support. I looked; but never found one, even my "famous" doctor didn't have a very good site.

"Yawn and the world yawns with you. Snore and you sleep alone."

Anonymous
RedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #30
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Robin

AAhhh, congrats, best of luck, and i wish you a spedy recover...dont forget to ask about vitamin supplements post op, cause one of the things that helps with wound healing is zinc...

keep us posted, prayers to you...
SocialbFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
Robin Rocks
Strange as angels

Robin Rocks can now change their title

I honestly can't thank you ladies enough for your support and kind words. I almost feel guilty for posting about having the surgery when I feel so strongly about size acceptance. I don't want anyone to think of me as a traitor so to speak. I just know that this is what I have to do, not only for myself and my health, but for my daughter as well.

With that being said, I'm scheduled for June 7th! I'm scared as hell but very excited, too.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #32
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Aliena, sorry I haven't answered your question. I've been doing the old "hit and run" posting thing since it's been so busy at work. A good lap band support place is www.lapbandtalk.com. I've found the people there to be informative and very helpful to new people. They have some of the same drama and fighting that we have here, but it's pretty easy to steer clear of it.

As for general WLS discussion, I have had good support at www.obesityhelp.com. Even though I hate some of the "oh my GOD I was so FAT!" stuff, when people have questions there are some really awesome, knowledgeable regulars who step up to the plate. Same type of drama and conflict that we have here, but you're used to it. Oh, and one downside of that website is that the board software doesn't thread, and posts fall off the first page in a matter of hours, which means things that don't get answered right away get lost. You can always repost. But it's frustrating.

Also, there are some good Yahoo groups with lots of nice, welcoming folks, too. So you can always join those to get support.

Hope this helps!

Robin Rocks, honey, you know, people will always have an opinion about what you're doing (and you know what they say about opinions, right???) But if in your heart you believe you still support size acceptance, then you're no traitor. A traitor is someone who was fat, isn't fat, and then hates fat people. I don't see that happening to you. YOU get to make decisions for YOUR body, and it's nobody else's business, quite frankly, what you do. You're the one who lives in your skin, not them, so it's really not for them to say whether your decision for WLS is justified or not. But yeah, I know it's hard. (Been there, done that...) We want people to understand why we do things, but you know, sometimes that's just not possible. But that doesn't mean you're not doing the right thing. If it's right for you then it's the right thing. period. End of story. (And if only we didn't care so much what others think, life would be so much easier, eh?)

Best of luck, and keep us posted, okay?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #33
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

I had a RNY done laparascopically- or minimally invasive. They used a bolster to improve access to the abdomin and they pump the ab full of air- again for access. The combo was murder for my back, but I felt it most when sitting or laying. It wasn't so bad when I tried to walk. I can say this- even as bad as the back pain was, it was temporary. It was gone after 2 months. After the first month, it was really only bad when I tried to lay down. And my gut was so bloated an ddistended, I swear I felt like I gained weight in the hospital!

I'm 10 months post op now and am 25 lbs from my surgeon's goal- 5 from mine.
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #34
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

RedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this boardRedHead carries a lot of weight on this board

Yesterday I saw my oldest sister for the first time in 18 years. She is going to have WLS....she is 60 and weighs close to 400lbs. She has heart problems and leg swelling; she is sick of being sick. I will do whatever I can to support her and inform her. I spoke with her last night and told her all the bad things as well as the good things. I gave her some reading material as well. I don't want her to go into this uninformed.

I wish both of you the best in your surgeries; please keep us updated and informed on your progress.

Anonymous
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #35
Robin Rocks
Strange as angels

Just thought I'd give a quick update with my surgery stuff. I went today for PAT and while waiting to pay my portion that insurance doesn't cover, the financial counselor informed me that if I could get the surgery done by May 31st, I would be covered 100% because I've met my out of pocket for the year due to having my gallbladder removed. I have no idea why I didn't know this. With that being said, I'm now scheduled to have my surgery done on the 31st! I'm so happy!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #36
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

Robin,

I am so happy to hear that. I'm sure it's a big relief to not have to pay anything out of pocket.

Please keep us updated about your recovery. I'm sure you are both excited and a little nervous. I will be including you in my prayers for a quick and fast recovery!

Anonymous
Old 05-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #37
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

Robin - you're in my thoughts. My best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and quick return of your health. Please let us know how you're doing (perhaps a friend could post for you to let us know you've come through the surgery?)

We're pulling for you!
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #38
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rocks
Just thought I'd give a quick update with my surgery stuff. I went today for PAT and while waiting to pay my portion that insurance doesn't cover, the financial counselor informed me that if I could get the surgery done by May 31st, I would be covered 100% because I've met my out of pocket for the year due to having my gallbladder removed. I have no idea why I didn't know this. With that being said, I'm now scheduled to have my surgery done on the 31st! I'm so happy!!!
Wow, so soon! That's exciting. Please keep us posted and let us know how you're doing, okay?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:51 PM   #39
Robin Rocks
Strange as angels

Just thought I'd let you know I'm home and have been for more than 3 hours. I'm doing great! Granted, I'm in some pain but overall, I feel so much better than I did when I had gallbladder surgery last year. I've been outside walking and I'm keeping my legs moving. I'm doing well with the breathing too.

Thank you again for your thoughts and well wishes. It's really meant alot to me!
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM   #40
RedHead
Tom Selleck's Bride

Robin,

I am so glad you are doing well! Please keep us posted. (((Big Hugs)))

Anonymous
Old 05-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #41
Miss Vickie

Yay, Robin. I'm glad you're on the other side, and I wish you nothing but healing and success in the days, weeks, and months to come.

Let us know if we can help, okay? And don't forget -- follow your food plan!