Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Ben from England

Ben from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Best Film EVER thread

Thought I'd start a thread after seeing There Will Be Blood the other week, three times no less, and each time coming out of the cinema saying 'best film EVER'. This isn't about any of that impossible 'what's you're favorite film' ruckus, just a time when you've seen a movie and been blown away by it.
Sometimes they don't even need to be great movies. King Kong, for example, is one that I saw on the day I came home from Uni and was with my family for the first time in a while after getting some great results, plus I was hyped to all hell. At the end of it, despite being crushed by man's inability to embrace a giant marauding ape, I crawled out of the cinema saying 'best film EVER (sniff)'. Next time I saw it i thought 'longest film EVER'.

Anyway, my current best film EVER is There Will Be Blood.
Ben from England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Johnny718Bravo
Super Hero

Johnny718Bravo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJohnny718Bravo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJohnny718Bravo can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Sooooo many to choose from! But here goes. My current best film ever:

Liar Liar
Johnny718Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
ravfa

ravfa can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesravfa can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I was also blow away by "Ran" when I saw it at a local art cinema on it's first release. . .one of Kurasawa's best, which is saying a lot.

I think the last movie I saw that really knocked me flat was probably "The Return of the King," which was really the capstone to a monumental epic.

But probably my ultimate Best Film Ever is "2001: A Space Odyssey." Every time I've seen it I've been left awestruck. One of the great works of art ever commited to film.
ravfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravfa View Post
I think the last movie I saw that really knocked me flat was probably "The Return of the King," which was really the capstone to a monumental epic.

But probably my ultimate Best Film Ever is "2001: A Space Odyssey." Every time I've seen it I've been left awestruck. One of the great works of art ever commited to film.
Return of the King was damned good, but not as good as it should have been. While I frigging love the trilogy, I find that it dragged a lot, and the third installment did this more than the others, I think. I'd say that they're great movies, some of the greatest, but not the best.

And while 2001 is undeniably a masterpiece, it does not evoke much of an emotional response. It's purely intellectual, and very dry in that regard, and I have a hard time placing highly on my list of top films a movie that doesn't move me somehow.

Damned good choices, but I just don't fully agree with them as "Best Film Ever".
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I cannot possibly list the best film ever, as there are too many excellent films out there. So I'll pick the best one I've seen recently: American Gangster.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
ravfa

ravfa can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesravfa can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Return of the King was damned good, but not as good as it should have been. While I frigging love the trilogy, I find that it dragged a lot, and the third installment did this more than the others, I think. I'd say that they're great movies, some of the greatest, but not the best.

And while 2001 is undeniably a masterpiece, it does not evoke much of an emotional response. It's purely intellectual, and very dry in that regard, and I have a hard time placing highly on my list of top films a movie that doesn't move me somehow.

Damned good choices, but I just don't fully agree with them as "Best Film Ever".
One of the great & fascinating things about Art (movies, literature, music, painting, etc.) is that each person's response to a particular piece will be different, will be their own. There really is no objective criteria for whether you like something, and for how it affects you. As long as you're not deliberately misconstruing the creator's intent, any response you have is probably valid.

So, I don't disagree with your assessments. Funny thing is, I do have an emotional response to 2001. The end of the film, with the Starchild floating above the Earth, accompanied by Also Sprach Zarathustra on the soundtrack one last time, always sends a shiver down my spine. . .can even bring tears to my eyes. For real. Just the way it hits me, and why it's my BFE.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

very hard to choose. there are a lot of films that are my favourite films. a lot that i enjoy and watch again and again.

BUT i have to say that i think Pan's Labyrinth is possibly the best film ever made.

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Scrumptious_voluptuous
It must be Gin O'clock!

Scrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticed

I'm really stuck with this, and also realised I have the artistic taste of a 6 year old cos I'm stuck between Princess Bride, Labyrinth, Mirrormask and Stardust.

But gonna go for Mirrormask, purely because of the emotional attatchment. My insane Neil Gaiman fandom got someone a job on it, and his insane hard work got me a drink with Neil Gaiman.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravfa View Post
One of the great & fascinating things about Art (movies, literature, music, painting, etc.) is that each person's response to a particular piece will be different, will be their own. There really is no objective criteria for whether you like something, and for how it affects you. As long as you're not deliberately misconstruing the creator's intent, any response you have is probably valid.
Exactly. I hope I didn't come across as insulting or anything, just giving my opinion.

Quote:
So, I don't disagree with your assessments. Funny thing is, I do have an emotional response to 2001. The end of the film, with the Starchild floating above the Earth, accompanied by Also Sprach Zarathustra on the soundtrack one last time, always sends a shiver down my spine. . .can even bring tears to my eyes. For real. Just the way it hits me, and why it's my BFE.
It's perhaps been too long for me since I last saw the film, but I do remember that being an awe-inspiring scene. I might've been too young to fully grasp what it was saying, so I'll have to watch again.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Right, I have thought about this and thought about this and (thanks for keeping me amused at work by the way, great way to pass the hours) it's impossible. I can't think of just one so *hands up* I give up.

I am however enjoying making a mental list of films I must see, so this is a great thread idea.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumptious_voluptuous View Post
I'm really stuck with this, and also realised I have the artistic taste of a 6 year old cos I'm stuck between Princess Bride, Labyrinth, Mirrormask and Stardust.

But gonna go for Mirrormask, purely because of the emotional attatchment. My insane Neil Gaiman fandom got someone a job on it, and his insane hard work got me a drink with Neil Gaiman.

will u marry me?

*u just listed 4 of my fave ever ever ever films, dont you like dark crystal?

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
Scrumptious_voluptuous
It must be Gin O'clock!

Scrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticedScrumptious_voluptuous never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexylicious View Post

will u marry me?

*u just listed 4 of my fave ever ever ever films, dont you like dark crystal?
Of course I will!

Chaaayyyyyyberlain!!! Ooooh, I like it so much I have a tattoo of the 'Who What Where' machine floor plans from the original Brian Froud book. Alas the tattooist fucked it up a bit so it's in the middle of being covered up from it's current 'tramp stamp' location, and will probably be re-done somewhere else

Alas, it's just a little too teary to go into my favourite films list. Fantastic artistic wise, but not so hot on the Warm & Fuzzies!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #15
Ben from England

Ben from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging inBen from England makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
It's perhaps been too long for me since I last saw the film, but I do remember that being an awe-inspiring scene. I might've been too young to fully grasp what it was saying, so I'll have to watch again.
I too was amazed by 2001 when I watched it again recently, but it was more the opening half hour that blew me away. When I started the thread I was more after films that have had a really big impact when you watched them, it doesn't matter if their not on the AFI's top 100 list. The Kubrick film that all ways makes me think 'best film EVER' is Clockwork Orange, just cause it's batshit crazy and I love the way it look of it, the language and the music.

Ghostbusters, when I was about seven, changed the course of my life. For the next two years (until the less fondly remembered Power Rangers phase) every weekend was spent playing with my Ecto 1, bustin ghosts. I was ready to believe you.

Recently saw 4 weeks, 3 months and 2 days (with my mum no less) and that caused a stir.

And then there's the Toy Story movies. It was my 13th or 14th birthday when Toy Story 2 came out, and I dragged six of my slightly less excited friends along to it. They loved it, despite the fact they still take the mick. Managed to get my brother to the Incredibles with me, but Cars and Ratatouille we're solo affairs. Have never looked more out of place in a cinema, though, than at Christmas when I went to see Enchanted by my lonesome. It was pretty good, but I have to say I felt like a bit of a tool.
Ben from England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #16
BigCutieSasha
Fatty McFat Fat

BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumptious_voluptuous View Post

You seem to have a wonderful taste in fantasy movies! I didn't think I would like stardust but by the end I just loved it! Robert De Niro was hilarious, Claire Danes actually did a decent british accent and I love how Cienna Miller lost out in the end. I would have to say ultimate fantasy movie though was Pan's Labyrinth. Fucking wild movie.

Favorite movie of all time? Ever? I can't do it. There are too many genres I like. I could list off best movies in each category if I give it a good think.
BigCutieSasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #17
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

hmm.... been wasting time (like Red) thinking about this at work....

I've narrowed it down to 10... (in no special order)

The Fifth Element
The Manchurian Candidate
Blade Runner
Dodgeball
The Triplettes of Belleville
Pans Labyrinth
Amélie
Alien
Children of Men
Flash Gordon (Flash.... ah ahhhhh)
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCutieSasha View Post
You seem to have a wonderful taste in fantasy movies! I didn't think I would like stardust but by the end I just loved it! Robert De Niro was hilarious, Claire Danes actually did a decent british accent and I love how Cienna Miller lost out in the end. I would have to say ultimate fantasy movie though was Pan's Labyrinth. Fucking wild movie.

Favorite movie of all time? Ever? I can't do it. There are too many genres I like. I could list off best movies in each category if I give it a good think.

When I was lecturing, I thought I would treat the class to film at Christmas. To keep it topical I bought Pans Labyrinth in, seeing as it won the best make-up oscar in '07. Well, half the class loved it, some just couldn't understand it and a handful of them just sat there whinging loudly, moaning because the film had subtitles and they couldn't be arsed to read them . Seriously I was so MAD, I couldn't stand it that they wouldn't concentrate for even 5 mins (this was a class of 'adults' by the way). Anyway, I normally love standing back and watching the students reactions to films but this one took the biscuit. In the end I noticably handed out more Quality Streets to the students who 'got it' or at least tried to get it. The whingers? Well lets just say I held back a lot of Orange Cremes just for them, euuugh wasters.

Last edited by Red; 03-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
ravfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben from England View Post
I too was amazed by 2001 when I watched it again recently, but it was more the opening half hour that blew me away. When I started the thread I was more after films that have had a really big impact when you watched them, it doesn't matter if their not on the AFI's top 100 list. The Kubrick film that all ways makes me think 'best film EVER' is Clockwork Orange, just cause it's batshit crazy and I love the way it look of it, the language and the music.

Ghostbusters, when I was about seven, changed the course of my life. For the next two years (until the less fondly remembered Power Rangers phase) every weekend was spent playing with my Ecto 1, bustin ghosts. I was ready to believe you.

Recently saw 4 weeks, 3 months and 2 days (with my mum no less) and that caused a stir.

And then there's the Toy Story movies. It was my 13th or 14th birthday when Toy Story 2 came out, and I dragged six of my slightly less excited friends along to it. They loved it, despite the fact they still take the mick. Managed to get my brother to the Incredibles with me, but Cars and Ratatouille we're solo affairs. Have never looked more out of place in a cinema, though, than at Christmas when I went to see Enchanted by my lonesome. It was pretty good, but I have to say I felt like a bit of a tool.
Hi Ben - I agree that A Clockwork Orange is an amazing film that can be viewed (& quoted) again & again. But then, I'm a huge Kubrick fan. The man was a cinematic genius, a term I don't toss around lightly. As for your definition of BFE as something that had a profound impact on us. . .2001 definitely had that kind of effect on me. BTW Blackjack - if you're gonna watch it again, watch it on the BIGGEST screen you can find. It does loose some impact when watched on a dinky TV.

Another film that changed the way I look at movies is an obscure cult film called Eraserhead - it was David Lynch's first feature. Undescribeable & utterly unique. Like having a nightmare with your eyes wide open.

Cool thread - thanks for starting it!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
FaxMachine1234
you know it

FaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFaxMachine1234 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I shall not back down on this!
FaxMachine1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Just_Jen
Woot!

Just_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging inJust_Jen makes people happy simply by logging in

considering i love all the other films like labyrinth and star dust etc, i havent seen the pans labyrinth one! after hearing you guys love it so much methinks i better check it out!!

I love waaay too many films,

atm my top one would be Cry Baby or Heathers
Just_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yeah, I know, not best ever, since I cannot list just one. I'm breaking the rules -- but I saw The Client recently, again. Brad Renfro was a brilliant child actor. He died this last January of a drug overdose (heroin, I believe). Excellent cast; excellent acting.

I'd also like to mention Kiki's Delivery Service. Charming and wonderful. Haven't seen it for too long; I'll have to watch it again some time.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

As you say, Tina, too many choices. But the one that always makes me feel all warm and sad and happy and hopeful is "Harold and Maude". I don't watch it often but it's like an old friend, always there for me when I need to reconnect to what's important in life.

For grit? I love "The Lion in Winter". That's another old standby. I love the chemistry between Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole (reportedly they hated each other which makes the movie even better). Excellent dialogue, great sets, moody music and very good acting. And what's not to love about a young Anthony Hopkins?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
Bagalute

Bagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBagalute is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Big Fish

no wait...

Forrest Gump

no wait...

The Big Lebowski

no wait...

Fight Club

no wait...

Bagalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #25
Scrumptious_voluptuous
It must be Gin O'clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post

I shall not back down on this!
And so you shouldn't!!