Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
puppy

puppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokespuppy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Do you like your family?

Yes, I would say that I like my family.

I have a sister who is 3 years older than me, and who, at many times I don't get along with. We argue off and on, and we have completely different personalities, but I do like her, and enjoy her company a lot when we are not arguing.

My father is a quieter person, and doesn't really enjoy large gatherings of people. I think that's where we stray in personalities. We both have a small amount of patience, and a short temper, but have a lot of different interests. I really like spending time with him, though. He has some great stories and a great sense of humor (he emails me jokes ALL the time).

Of the three members of my immediate family, I am closest with my mother. She and I both have different interests, points of view, etc. but, she is the one person in my family who knows me best. I like spending time with her, and have found myself making plans to spend some time with her on my days off, because we both work full time, but opposite hours.

So, yes. In short, I do like my family.
puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
amber83
New Mommy!

amber83 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesamber83 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesamber83 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Love my family so much more than I used to. I appreciate them more since I don't live near them. However, distance is great because otherwise I'd go crazy. I am the only daughter and my mom tends to be a hen.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

I love my family, but I have yet to develop that close-knit warm fuzzy feeling about them. My dad is awesome, and I'm a lot like him, but he harps on me about my weight almost incessantly and it pushes me away from him to a large degree. My mother is an amazing woman, but she's a worry wart to a degree that makes it nearly impossible to have a conversation with her sometimes without leaving the conversation on a massively depressed or stressed-out note. Im close with one of my brothers and his family, and I love spending time with them. My friends have really become my 'family', along with their family too.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yup, I love them. But I do feel that distance helps preserve that to some degree.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
bexy
is red again <3

bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!bexy keeps pushing the rep limit!

no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

dad-alco druggie waste of space
mum-evil mentally ill selfish abusive cruel woman
brother-lives up his own arse

so no lol. dont see em, dont speak to em. no interest in em. they put me through hell more than anyone who wasnt there will ever know. my friends are my family, as is my wonderful boyfriend and my cat yey

With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine.
bexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A whole family of stressed out control freaks.Adult Children of Alcoholics,except we don't have roles.All six of us want to be in charge.

Last edited by steely; 03-21-2008 at 08:02 PM.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Paquito
don't July to me

Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!Paquito keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love my family, but -like other posters- I have yet to get that "warm fuzzy feeling around them. Dads kind of distant, we have more of a superficial buddy buddy relationship, the deepest bond we have is a love of South Park . My Mom is great, but she tries way to hard to get closer to me and has this habit of getting REALLY pissed at me - screaming and throwing things in my direction are the norm in her tyraids - and then acting like it never happened. Crazy people, but they are my parents, I think some distance would do us good.
Now extended family, thats my forte, I have great bonds with my cousins, like my brothers and sisters.
But the people I count as my real family are definetely my friends
Paquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I get on very well with most of my family, although my mother was always extremely critical of me, and still can be a bit obnoxious about my weight. I think because of the criticism I got as a kid from her, my sister and I are not close, actually, if we weren't sisters, we wouldn't even be friends. We are just too different. My mom was always comparing us, my sister is the "Perfect Child", you know, thin, cheerleader, perfect boyfriend, girly-girl kind of person. I am not, and my mom never lets me forget that. But, on the other hand, I get on very well with my youngest brother and my dad. My middle brother and I also get on well, but are not very close.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
DUBLINDA

DUBLINDA has super-sized repDUBLINDA has super-sized repDUBLINDA has super-sized repDUBLINDA has super-sized repDUBLINDA has super-sized rep

I guess Im lucky cos my mum is like my best friend and I can tell her anything and trust me I really do mean anything. I get on really well with all of my family except for a few minor arguements with my two sister's but thats just typical sibling rivalry for you. Im even close with my extended family and every time I go to Dublin for a holiday we all meet up and have a night out and I truly love those nights and cherish them so much especially when my grandmother who is 87yrs old comes out too, that just completes it for me.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
Lastminute.Tom
Write on!

Lastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticedLastminute.Tom never has a post go unnoticed

yes, I've been very lucky, I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with them but I treat them with unconditional respect and love because they are my family, I don't always get the same in return but it doesn't stop me from loving them because they are a part of me or more accurately to my parents I am a part of them, sometimes I get concerned that they are putting too much of their hopes and aspirations into me and my younger brother, I think its because they settled down at didn't go the career/success path, they want me and my brother to walk as much of that as we can, I'm still trying to find my parents something to do, my dad loathes being an accountant and has done all his working life but has been too afraid to change because of the evil mortgage, and my mum had to retire (she was a midwife but a complicated waterbirth left her back severely damaged) from work but she says she still wants to but she can't, lately though I've been getting her more clued up on t'internet, so I'm thinking of starting an e-trading business that she can run, my younger bro is currently in thailand being sunburnt and loving it, he's not completley sure that he wants to be an actor anymore, but he's still pretty damn sure, its only when there's a long span between acting productions that he wants something else or questions his commitment to treading the boards. Me and my bro we always argue, though lately not so much. but arguments are always fun and they're forgotton about within an hour. My step-mum is also great, she made my dad a new man with a new lease of life, she hates accounting as much as he does but she's far more practical and will get on and do things instead of procrastinating like me and my dad do. As for my other family, I have a plethora of aunts and uncles, all extremley loving and supporting people, with every part of the [traditional-radical] spectrum being represented equally, also I have an army of adorable cousins, enough to make a kids film about some of them sharing my signature curls. Also my grandparents are very caring, if a little backward about the being fat/being attracted to fat girls, issue, which does bring me down a bit when I'm round them because sometimes I feel like I'm trying to hide myself to make them happy.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
Ruffie

Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ruffie keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default In my case

As an only child I do love my family. My mom was critical of me throughout my life, but we have worked on that and findind out the reasons for her "advice" I can understand why she did and said what she did. My dad was my best friend and we really loved each other deeply. I also had a special aunt who was like my soul mate who I lost 4 months after my dad passed and that was difficult to lose the two people that "got" me and unconditionally loved me in that short span of time.
As for the aunts uncles and such of both my family and my hubbies(hes an only child too) we have a few that are kind and caring but for the most part have nothing to do with the families. My dad married at 49 and had me at 50 and Grants parents had him 11 years into their marriage. We are the babies of both of our families and most of our cousins have Grandchildren and we are still raising teens. As well alot of our family is well off and we are the poor relatives or alternately religious and we are the family that left the church. I also get alot of judgement for working with the people I do( I run an outreach program for at risk youth and people on the street). They get together for parties, gatherings at their cabins at the lake and the like and we are rarely invited UNLESS they need some pictures taken(we are pro photographers). So we don't have alot to do with most of them other than a few select members that respect and love us like we are.
THe one nice thing I have found is building your own family. I have friends that I consider sisters and brothers. I have had kids I work with ask me to be their mom and so there are another 6 kids in my family and 6 grandbabies. Family has nothing to do with whose blood runs through your veins and that family I love dearly and they love me dearly. Its the BEST!
Ruth
Ruffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
indy500tchr
I am here!

indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!indy500tchr has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love my family very much. I am a total daddy's girl. I am the son he never had. He is and always has been a wonderful father. I miss my mom very much. She passed away 10 years ago and it sometimes still feels like yesterday. She was an amazing woman who is my role model. I became a teacher because of her. Even though my sister's and I don't see eachother very often we still get along and will do anything for eachother. My grams (dad's mom) is like my second mother. She is wonderful. She needs to stay around forever!!!

"Growing Old Is Mandatory. Growing Up Is Optional"

"BBWs aren't exactly built for speed. There's something luxurious about it." ~bdog
indy500tchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Right now I like my brother very much, but that wasn't always the case. My parents died when I was 12 and my eldest brother (who's 17 years older than me) raised me. He wasn't so into being a parent to a teen and wasn't very good at it. We grew apart and even though we didn't have any bad feelings, we just kind of ignored each other.

Last year he got sick with serious heart disease and diabetes and called me. I immediately got on a plane to be with him after surgery and we've been very close, ever since. We talk several times a week and it's become a very close and loving relationship.

My other brother, who abused me during my entire childhood until my parents' death "rescued" me by getting me out of the house, is now ill and in the hospital and probably dying of septicemia from an infected diabetic ulcer. I don't like him very much at all, as you can imagine, and am in the unenviable position of deciding about his medical care since he can't do it. It's been a very surreal experience, but it's brought my other brother and I even closer.

But as far as my husband and kids are concerned? Since they're my family now, too, I love them all, and even like them the vast majority of the time.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Butterbelly
Melting in the desert

Butterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging in

I love my family very much, but I would say that I don't like the vast majority of them. It took me a long time to understand that I can love someone without liking them.

My oldest sister is an emotional/mental wreck, and her drama has created a lot of drama throughout the family. She had I have not talked for almost 2 years now. Some people might find that sad, but trust me, it's a good thing in my eyes. I couldn't handle the sadness and stress she caused me...nor could I handle seeing her do the same to other people in the family.

My brother I adore. He and I have never been really close, but he is one of the most good-hearted people I know. He's also a great father.

My middle sister is also a drama queen, much like my oldest sister. She and I have never been very close, and I would say the older I get the less tolerant I am of her.

I love my mother. She and I are extremely close. I talk to her several times a week, and I'm always making sure she is okay and doesn't need anything.

Unfortunately, I've never really had a relationship with my father. He left my mother when she was pregnant with me, and they divorced two months after my birth. I didn't meet him until I was 16, and still don't really know him now.

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Butterbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Theresa48

Theresa48 does more than just post hot picsTheresa48 does more than just post hot picsTheresa48 does more than just post hot pics

While my life has been far from perfect and I've been dealt many a lousy hand,
I have been blessed with a wonderful family. My parents were old school authoritarians with very kind and giving hearts. I loved them when I was young and grew to like them very much when I was an adult. My two brothers were very mischievous and we had our fair share of fights and disagreements. When we all grew up and matured, we developed more of a loving relationship. My two children are now adults. I love being around them. They are funny and caring. My grandchildren are a joy. I guess it is a good thing they are (and in my parents' and one brother's case...were) in my life. Can't imagine surviving as I have without them helping me through some difficult times.
Theresa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Neen
Free Spirit

Neen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Hmm..my mum and i are not too close. She tries to be, but..she says nasty comments about my weight, and locks food away from me..(literally in a spare bedroom..locked so i cannot eat chocolate ect) She's mentally ill, obviously, and a alchoholic. Never knew my dad..
Got a few cool uncles, but see them maybe..4 x a year?
No brothers or sisters.. just me..
Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I haven't spoken to anyone in my biological family in over 20 years. Do I like them? hell, I don't even know them, and frankly, don't care to.

I've been lucky enough in my life to stumble across people who I wish were my parents, and have those people accept me into their lives. I love them dearly.
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
bmann0413
PLAYER ONE READY! START!

bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!bmann0413 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm going to be nice and quick about this. I love my family, I really do. But I don't like 'em. My oldest sister's a jerk who thinks she knows everything. My other sister (who I can actually get along with) has a low self-esteem problem and takes it out on everyone. My mom's a total control freak. My dad's very strict, not that I don't mind that, it's just he's a bit too strict sometimes. And my nieces don't know when to stop playing (yes, they're eight, but still).

But would I change them for another family? Hell no!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
Aliena

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink

I have a VERY complicated family, to say the least. It's very hard for me to answer this question, because my family can NOT fit into that tight of a box of whether I get along with them or not.

There are some family members I've not spoken to in over 10-years. One of them I don't even consider a family member anymore, because of issues he has I'm just not able to be around or associate with.

My mom and dad, I do love very much. However, they drive me nuts for various reasons and I realize their age is only going to make those issues worse. I stand behind them, take care of them as best as I can.

I get along better with my husbands side of the family better than my biological. Even so, there are issues there too.

~C'est La Vie!

Last edited by Aliena; 03-23-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Dammit Jim, I'm a Dr. not a linguist!!
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #20
Violet_Beauregard

Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OMG... amazingly long story.... but, no. I don't like my family at all.

But, unfortunately, I'm stuck with them. If I could live with the guilt, I'd move away... FAR away.
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #21
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

My family is HUGANTIC, with lots of peoples from different backgrounds, cultures, and sizes too. I don't keep up with all of them as much as I could, but for the most part I have gotten a long with the majority of my family. There's some times where we disagree (Love and hate if you will), but most of those aren't lasting effects.

My immediate family (Mom, sister, step father, and el perro ) is pretty smooth. I haven't seen my biological father since I was one, but I'm fine at this very moment.
I could go on with individual analysis, but I don't want to right now. Maybe next post.
But I will say, I LOVE MY MOMMY! lol
Oh my god I can't spell when I haven't slept.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote