Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default What are your favorite workouts?

It's been awhule since i've posted any workout ideas AND there have been other threads in the past....will add links to them in another post...but, here's my question...

What are your favorite workouts? Do you need the standards machines in a gym (weight machines- treadmills - stationary bikes etc.) Or

Can you find the same satisfaction doing things 'old school' : ie, bodyweight exercises (pushups, situps, pullups) - hiking- swimming- walking- yoga

And we all have those days where we cannot get a workout in - what do you do as far as an abbreviated program OR do you become creative and make your daily housework (the workout)....
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love swimming, volleyball, rollerblading. ...And snowboard.

I'm old school I guess, hate indoor machines!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
comperic2003

comperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokescomperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I am all about the "old-school" lifts. I find machines (cable stations do not qualify as machines) pretty useless. Anything I can do on a machine I can do with free weights better and safer.

Pistol Squats
Front Squats
Deadlifts
Rows
Pullups
Bench Press
Pushups
Olympic Lifts
Face Pulls
Pull Throughs
Glut Ham Raises

Those exercises pretty much make up the core of my entire workout plan for the week. I occasionally spice it up with some medicine ball throws, sled pushes, sled pulls, sandbag work, and wheelbarrow work.
comperic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comperic2003 View Post
Face Pulls
Those exercises pretty much make up the core of my entire workout plan for the week. I occasionally spice it up with some medicine ball throws, sled pushes, sled pulls, sandbag work, and wheelbarrow work.
I like the idea of doing 'Face Pulls' definitely a safer movement than
behind the neck pressdowns with the lat machine.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/facepull.html

I've learn to be creative when I don't get to the gym. For example, I had to do some grocery shopping and had about 20-30lbs worth of bags on each hand. How can you make this a great workout? Well one of the pluses/minuses of living in the city is that you have the options of walking- so a nice long walk with the bags provided a "modified farmers walk" and a great cardio workout. Great for the grip too....
Old 03-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Chair Aerobics Video

And here is a great video on YOutube for a nice chair aerobic workout- really great for the days when you can have aching knees , back, heels etc.

Chair Aerobics with Paul Eugene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc&feature=related
Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Additional Chair Exercise Videos from YouTube

Here's another set of 'Seated Workout' videos. When viewing the 'Desk Workout', I would probably reserve judgement on the tricep dip (chair stability) -but the other exercises look pretty effective.

Seated Stretches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWW8DdN4Y4&NR=1

------------------------------------------------

Desk Workout

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6tuVrh-zJvs&feature=related
Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Tony, these are great! I especially liked the Paul Eugene chair aerobics, with that driving beat, makes you want to follow along. I actually had a chair aerobics videotape (a while ago), but the music was totally uninspiring.

Thanks for posting them!

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
comperic2003

comperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokescomperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
I like the idea of doing 'Face Pulls' definitely a safer movement than
behind the neck pressdowns with the lat machine.
The lat machine primarily works your lats. Face pulls primarily work your upper and lower traps and middle back. Face pulls barely work the lats at all. You can't swap one in for the other.

And the behind the neck lat pulldown, or the behind the neck pullup, or behind the neck shoulder press are not inherently dangerous or any less safe than other exercises. They become dangerous when people with poor shoulder stability and mobility (ie almost everyone) try them.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
goldilocks829

goldilocks829 does more than just post hot picsgoldilocks829 does more than just post hot picsgoldilocks829 does more than just post hot picsgoldilocks829 does more than just post hot pics

Thank you so much for posting this. My legs are different sizes due to a fall and subsequent surgeries so my balance is off. This will really help me. Thanks again!!

Janice

Quote:
And here is a great video on YOutube for a nice chair aerobic workout- really great for the days when you can have aching knees , back, heels etc.

Chair Aerobics with Paul Eugene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc&feature=related
goldilocks829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible View Post
Tony, these are great! I especially liked the Paul Eugene chair aerobics, with that driving beat, makes you want to follow along. I actually had a chair aerobics videotape (a while ago), but the music was totally uninspiring.

Thanks for posting them!
Hi Ris:
No Problem - I just discovered the Chair Aerobics thing as I was looking at a Video on YouTube that showed a boxing routine that you could do- I'll post this as well and see what other things I can list...

Quote:
The lat machine primarily works your lats. Face pulls primarily work your upper and lower traps and middle back. Face pulls barely work the lats at all. You can't swap one in for the other.

And the behind the neck lat pulldown, or the behind the neck pullup, or behind the neck shoulder press are not inherently dangerous or any less safe than other exercises. They become dangerous when people with poor shoulder stability and mobility (ie almost everyone) try them.

Hey Comperic:
I guess it all depends - and yes you do have to consider pre-existing factors;but, there are certian movements that have been shown to be unsafe and have fallen out of favor. I noticed that you mentioned 'pistol' or one legged squats on your list. This can be a real ass kick....Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks829 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. My legs are different sizes due to a fall and subsequent surgeries so my balance is off. This will really help me. Thanks again!!
Janice

Hi Janice:
I will post some more threads as far as the variety of workouts that I come up with on the net - as well as whatever posting folks want to add.
Thanks--- Tony
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
comperic2003

Quote:
Hey Comperic:
I guess it all depends - and yes you do have to consider pre-existing factors;but, there are certian movements that have been shown to be unsafe and have fallen out of favor. I noticed that you mentioned 'pistol' or one legged squats on your list. This can be a real ass kick....Tony
Saying behind the neck movements are unsafe is equivalent to saying squats are unsafe. If you posses the mobility, stability, muscular balance, etc. to perform either of these movements, then neither of them is unsafe. Behind the neck movements have "fallen out of favor" because most people are not fit enough to preform them safely. That does not mean the movement itself is inherently unsafe, just the practitioner.

And regarding pistols, they are my favorite exercise. Do you do them?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Saying behind the neck movements are unsafe is equivalent to saying squats are unsafe. If you posses the mobility, stability, muscular balance, etc. to perform either of these movements, then neither of them is unsafe. Behind the neck movements have "fallen out of favor" because most people are not fit enough to preform them safely. That does not mean the movement itself is inherently unsafe, just the practitioner.

And regarding pistols, they are my favorite exercise. Do you do them?
Not necessarily - when you consider some exercises ; ie, like the 'Behind the Neck' Press movement. This specific exercise goes against the structural design of the shoulder joint and have casued problems to folks that are fit.

This exercise is done by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart. Placing your hands on the bar about three inches wider than the width of your shoulders. Pushing the bar overhead to arm's length, holding and then slowly lowering back down to your shoulders.

Now you can do a safer form of this in the seated version. Try performing it in a smith machine or power rack for added safety.

But, this is the problem- Behind The Neck Presses places the shoulder joint into the dislocation position and the range of motion puts unnecessary stress on the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulders.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Hardcore Chair Exercises - Bounce Back Fitness Website

Just in case - we might have thought that 'Chair' exercising would be a walk in the park

How about these

CrossFit- Chair Pistol Exercises

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q13abYk9ri0

Bounce Back Fitness Chair

I have not used this product -but, seems interesting
claims to be great for the lymphatic symptoms-
check the web site as they do have extra heavy weight springs
rated to (300-450#).... you might have to attach extra springs for
added safety...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfwMkzm1gU

--------------------------------------------

Bounce Back Fitness Web site

http://www.allfit.com/
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #14
comperic2003

Quote:
Not necessarily - when you consider some exercises ; ie, like the 'Behind the Neck' Press movement. This specific exercise goes against the structural design of the shoulder joint and have casued problems to folks that are fit.
Well obviously those individuals were not fit. Having a six pack and being able to bench 300+ does not make one fit. Joint mobility, stability and muscular balance are often forgotten when talking about fitness.

BTN do not go against the structural design of the shoulder. They go against the conditioned and habitual shoulder posture that is inherent in a western lifestyle. I am not saying BTN presses are the safest thing in the world, nor am I saying they are unsafe and should be avoided. If one possesses the proper shoulder mobility, stability, muscular balance and flexibility, than one can perform BTN presses properly and with added safety.

Quote:
This exercise is done by standing with your feet about shoulder width apart. Placing your hands on the bar about three inches wider than the width of your shoulders. Pushing the bar overhead to arm's length, holding and then slowly lowering back down to your shoulders.
Who says you have to place your hands three inches wider than shoulder length? It is certainly an option, but you can move them in closer. And as for standing with your feet shoulder width apart, that is only one option. I prefer a split leg stance, when overhead pressing, with my dominant leg's foot 10-12 inches in front of my other. This severely cuts down on the lumbar load and spinal compression.

Quote:
Now you can do a safer form of this in the seated version. Try performing it in a smith machine or power rack for added safety.
How is a seated overhead press any safer? And smith machine? Smith machine's, and any machine for that matter, promote pattern overload. That is dangerous. That will cause injury.

Quote:
But, this is the problem- Behind The Neck Presses places the shoulder joint into the dislocation position and the range of motion puts unnecessary stress on the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulders.
You know what the problem is? Recent literature states that in people with gleno-humeral instability (ie just about everyone), their scapula is unstable 100% of the time.(1)

1: Kibler, WB. (1998) The Role of the Scapula in Athletic Shoulder Function. Am J Sports Med, 26, 325-337.

Last edited by comperic2003; 03-26-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
MsGreenLantern
Keanu Drakula The Centaur

MsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticed

I love strength training! If I exercise it's mostly arm exercises, or fun outdoor things like swimming or hiking. Sure I'm a damn slow hiker, but I love the woods so much, it doesn't much matter. Now I just need hiking buddies!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Just in case - we might have thought that 'Chair' exercising would be a walk in the park

How about these

CrossFit- Chair Pistol Exercises

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q13abYk9ri0

Bounce Back Fitness Chair

I have not used this product -but, seems interesting
claims to be great for the lymphatic symptoms-
check the web site as they do have extra heavy weight springs
rated to (300-450#).... you might have to attach extra springs for
added safety...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfwMkzm1gU

--------------------------------------------

Bounce Back Fitness Web site

http://www.allfit.com/
Thanks for the interesting links, Tony.

I would love to be able to do cross pistols, what a workout! I have a hard time balancing on one leg, partly due to my size, but also due to left ankle fusion performed years ago. Yeah, even when I was going to the gym regularly, I was just barely able to do stuff like step aerobics.

That bounce chair looks too good to be true. Before I invested in something like that, I'd research its claims, see if I could find how genuine they are. It looks like a fun workout, though.

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, I want one of those chairs. I was getting dizzy while watching the video, so, might not be the best thing for me..heh. I also could not help but think that it would be great for those people who have a bit of an issue with constipation..*L*
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Pretty much a mix.

I go to the gym three days a week to weigh train. I take MMA three days a week as well.

Bodyweight exercises? Just little stuff. "Abs: The six minute burn," pushups (I know about 10-15 different types), bodyweight squats (Usually I modify them with me on my toes, which is a Capoeira thing: "Cocorinha"), Hand stand holds on the wall for now (I don't have very good shoulders [Plus my last job gave me joint issues up there], and most of my strength and weight is in my lower body), and mixes. I work out of this book called "Capoeira Conditioning," which has some pretty neat ideas in it, EX: Alternate doing a cartwheel in one direction, then do a bodyweight squat. Repeat for 7 1/2 minutes. Then move on to pistols and one armed cartwheels.

I run, and as soon as the weather gets a little better: I have to start swimming for my water survival course too.

I also have a bullworker, and I use it normally after my workouts:
http://www.thebullworker.com/

I stretch often too. Other than that: Nothing really. Just other martial arts, my powerwheel (I do rollouts with it mostly), "Elastic steel" and "Yoga for the martial artist," and that's about it really. I'm qualified physically for BMT, but I have to run like 8 miles in SERE school, which depending on pace might be easy or hard for me.

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal

Last edited by Jon Blaze; 03-26-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Well obviously those individuals were not fit. Having a six pack and being able to bench 300+ does not make one fit. Joint mobility, stability and muscular balance are often forgotten when talking about fitness.
And yet- you can have individuals that are fit and be blessed with the joint mobility-stablity and muscular balance - just the repetitive nature of certian exercises can still leave it's damadge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGreenLantern View Post
I love strength training! If I exercise it's mostly arm exercises, or fun outdoor things like swimming or hiking. Sure I'm a damn slow hiker, but I love the woods so much, it doesn't much matter. Now I just need hiking buddies!
Are you doing weights for your upper body exercises? and it's ok if you are a slow hiker- you could always carry some weights and take them with you and this way you can combine an upper and lower body program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
Pretty much a mix.
I also have a bullworker, and I use it normally after my workouts:
http://www.thebullworker.com/
Jon:
Almost forgot about the Bullworker- had to look them up online to see if they can still be purchased.

A similar strength equipment that I use are..
1. Power Twister 'Flex Bar'
these come in different varieties online and prices vary..

Heavy Duty Power Twister- similar to the one I have

http://ambersports.com/hhe003.htm

-------------------------------------------
TherBand

This is a nice web site as they list all types of equipment for
home use.

http://www.thera-band.com/flexbar.html

2. Wieder Iron Shoe Exerciser
(real old time stuff- the 'Iron SHoe' resembles a horse shoe -but you can build upper body and grip strength).
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
Neen
Free Spirit

Neen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesNeen can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

The only workouts i actually enjoy are:
*Walk away the pounds w/leslie sansone. 1-5 mile walk dvds' you can do at home! Awesome, easy, and non complicated!
* Carmen Electra striptease.. not really a intense workout, but it will bring out your inner sex kitten.. RAWR!
*Swimming..easy on the body!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #21
comperic2003

Quote:
And yet- you can have individuals that are fit and be blessed with the joint mobility-stablity and muscular balance - just the repetitive nature of certian exercises can still leave it's damadge.
First and foremost, it is not a matter of being "blessed" with joint mobility, stability etc. Virtually everyone is born with it, but the western lifestyle is wrought with poor posture and lack of motion. Thus, you get people who can't overhead press safely or squat safely. Virtually everyone with legs is born with the ability to squat properly, they just lose it overtime as they adopt a more sedentary and seated life.

But that is not what we are debating. In fact, in response to an earlier comment of yours, I am the one who first stated that repetitive motions (in my example, smith machines) lead to pattern overload (injury).
Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
First and foremost, it is not a matter of being "blessed" with joint mobility, stability etc. Virtually everyone is born with it, but the western lifestyle is wrought with poor posture and lack of motion. Thus, you get people who can't overhead press safely or squat safely. Virtually everyone with legs is born with the ability to squat properly, they just lose it overtime as they adopt a more sedentary and seated life.

But that is not what we are debating. In fact, in response to an earlier comment of yours, I am the one who first stated that repetitive motions (in my example, smith machines) lead to pattern overload (injury).
I will get back to your comments - but, I will clarify that this is not a debate - that's not what my thread is about . If this were a debate - I would have opened it in Hyde park. My point to open/resurrect this topic is about sharing exercise and getting folks of all fitness levels (good posture, bad posture, those that are bed bound etc.) interested....

I see this as a discussion - and I did look up a link which does discuss the dangers of pattern loading.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
comperic2003

Quote:
I will get back to your comments - but, I will clarify that this is not a debate - that's not what my thread is about . If this were a debate - I would have opened it in Hyde park. My point to open/resurrect this topic is about sharing exercise and getting folks of all fitness levels (good posture, bad posture, those that are bed bound etc.) interested....

I see this as a discussion - and I did look up a link which does discuss the dangers of pattern loading.
Fair enough. If you wish, I would love to continue discussing this topic, and general fitness related topics, with you.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #24
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default On Functional Strength

Now with your training programs are your goals for sport or improvement of daily activities (functional strength)?

How has your workout plans - helped with performing your daily activities and what are your favorite exercises?

What is nice about exercises is how can we think outside the box- so the same workout can work for folks of different strength levels. Tkae the Laundry lift... you can go pretty hardcore; ie, instead of doing 'Laundry Bags' you can opt for the old school 'SandBag' workout.

Below is a series of articles and links from (aboutfit.com) on the importance of building 'Functional Strength'

================================================== ===

Functional Strength Training

From Paige Waehner,
Your Guide to Exercise.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
A Guest Article By Cara Lindell

Functional strength training simply means training our bodies to better perform the types of movements we use for everyday living. The time spent developing this specific strength, flexibility and agility have the optimum carry-over into daily activities.
Strength movements you perform on a day-in, day-out basis can be categorized into the following groups:

Lifting: Laundry basket, Grocery Bags, child/grandchildren
Reaching: Refrigerator or clothes dryer, Dishes on shelves, Grabbing objects on floor
Power: Standing up from chair, going up stairs, walking up incline
Balancing: Walking (Single leg activities), Moving while holding awkward objects
Combinations of the above

Functional Exercises

These are four highly functional exercises you can easily add to your day to create a basic strength training program.
They form the foundation for daily strength movements. Performing these several times a day, several times a week will enable you to do more with less effort and with more confidence.

You can do them anywhere, anytime:

* Push-ups: Start with wall push-ups and progress to placing your hands on the kitchen counter. You can do 5-6 while waiting for the microwave to finish. These firm your chest, arms, abs and back.

* Squats or lunges: Most reaching, lifting or bending involves and element or squatting or lunging. Remember to push out your tush and donít let your knees go farther forward than your toes. Youíll strengthen your knees, quads and hips.

* Grocery Bag Lift: Each time you go shopping strengthen your arms. Use each arm and lift the bag 6 times to the front, side and rear. You can also do a modified bicep curl. Just remember to keep your shoulders back and abs tight while working your arms.

* Lift: Pick-up that heavy pet food bag or laundry basket by squaring your feet shoulder width apart, squatting down, grabbing hold and pushing up with your legs. Put it down and do it again. If your knees hurt, practice lifting from a chair until you get stronger.

Functional Equipment

The recommended equipment will also vary from that used in traditional strength training. Recent findings in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning show that machine based strength training has limited carry-over in helping us perform our activities of daily living. There are many better equipment options for functional strength training that donít involve going to the gym. They include:

Dumb Bells: Begin with 3-4 pounds and progress to 8-10
Body Weight: Combined with jump ropes or exercise balls, body weight is often challenging on its own, especially lunges and push-ups!
Resistance Bands and Loops: Replicate the exercises on a cable machine in the gym.
Exercise Balls: A fun way to combine balance work with other exercises
Medicine Balls: Great for combo moves involving the shoulders
Just as athletes train for their specific sport, we have specific household or recreational activities to train for. Make your training count; make it functional!

Cara Lindell is founder and president of Fully Fit Lifestyles, a company committed to helping women in their 40's and above become fit and healthy.
Updated: March 25, 2003

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Strength Training for Large Folks

Functional Exercise

If you have trouble with movements like getting up from a chair, getting in and out of a car or up and down from curbs, this is where to start. Functional exercise means you're working on the very things you struggle with to improve quality of life.

1. Stepping Up and Down

A great place to start in functional exercise is with stepping. Daily life often involves stepping onto curbs and walking up and down stairs. A typical curb is about 2-6 inches high while the average flight of stairs may have 15 or more steps. Practicing your stepping at home can make it easier when you go out into the world.

How to Practice: Using a Step, a nearby curb or a stair, step up with the right foot and then the left, holding onto the wall or a handrail for balance. Step down with the right foot followed by the left and repeat on the right foot 10 times. Switch and repeat with the left foot. Practice this each day, adding more repetitions and eventually balancing without holding onto anything. If you use a Step, start with the top and add risers over time to add intensity.

Make it Harder: Stepping requires balance because there's a brief period when only one foot is on the floor. Practice balance by trying this: Stand near a wall (just in case you need it) and lift the right foot off the floor, balancing on your left. See how long you can hold this position. Lower and repeat with the left foot. To make it harder, close your eyes. Eventually, move away from the wall and try it on your own.

2. Standing Up and Down

Think about how many times you sit and stand each day--on chairs, couches, in cars and on toilets. If you have trouble with this activity, the simple act of sitting and standing can be frustrating. The average toilet is about 15 inches high, while the average chair is about 16-17 inches. That means you need to able squat down to 15 inches from the floor at least 10 times in a day. Squatting requires strength in the legs, abs and back as well as good balance and stability.

How to Practice: Using a familiar chair or even a toilet (with the lid down, of course), begin by sitting and standing 8 times. Each day, practice sitting and standing, using arm rests or handrails if you need to at first. Over time, add more repetitions and try to balance without holding onto anything.

Make it harder: If you want to progress, try squatting without sitting all the way down. By working against gravity and momentum, you'll strengthen your leg muscles, core and improve balance. Try this: Place a chair behind you and sit down on it (so you know where it is). Then stand up and squat as though you're about to sit down. Stop a few inches above the chair, stand up and repeat.

3. Getting In and Out of a Car

This can be a tough one for everyone, not just the overweight or obese and, for some, the difficulty in maneuvering in and out of a small car is just one more reason to stay home. By practicing this move, you can improve your strength and agility. Try this: Sit in your car and practice getting out--step one leg out and then the other (try not to twist when you get out...this can cause back injuries). Now, use your hands to help push you up and out of the car and then sit back down and repeat. Your goal is to be able to push yourself out of the car using the strength of your legs and torso rather than relying on pulling on the car door (which could slam on your fingers---ouch!).

Focused Strength Training

Now that you have some ideas for functional training, let's talk about a more focused approach with traditional moves. Seated strength training is a great place to start if you're a beginner--there are many upper and lower body exercises you can do in a chair and, once you master these, you can move on to standing exercises to target balance, stability, strength and better functionality. If you're ready to get started, I've got a Seated Full Body Workout you can try at home. Be sure to check with your doctor before you begin any type of exercise program, especially if you're obese, are on any medications or have been diagnosed with any medical conditions.

Staying mobile and being able to function well on a daily basis can improve quality of life and, yes, help you lose weight. By practicing the very activities you struggle with, you can build strength and confidence to help you move forward and reach even higher with your goals.

==========================================

Seated Total Body Strength

great link and can be modified based on the fitness and strength and equipment. For example, you could use heavier dumbbells for the seated presses - just make sure you are using the proper weight bench for support.

The tubing - you could go from the lightest that is available at your health store to something more creative (bike innertubes) - just make sure you have that valves taken out and (wear safety goggles).

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...seexercise.htm
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #25
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Great post Tony! I love that one! Functional training for the WINNN!

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote