Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
Great post Tony! I love that one! Functional training for the WINNN!
Jon:
No problem and since you enjoy martial arts - here's a site that would be
of interest....

Fight Authority and Functional Strength

list some great videos and other links...

http://www.fightauthority.com/streng...ional+strength
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #27
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
Jon:
No problem and since you enjoy martial arts - here's a site that would be
of interest....

Fight Authority and Functional Strength

list some great videos and other links...

http://www.fightauthority.com/streng...ional+strength
"I can't rep you yet."

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
"I can't rep you yet."
Glad you enjoy the link - now I only glanced through some of it-but, if you come up with any stuff that would be of interest - please post.....
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #29
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default The Cheapest Home Gym

Resistance training. The underlying principle behind a lot of expensive gym equipment is resistance. The difference between a $1000 piece of equipment at a health club and a $10 rubber inner tube can be neglible. What you are really trying to do with any resistance training is 'fight' the tension created by something- rubber bands, ropes, weights, etc. You can still get a good resistance-style workout by using a strong piece of elastic rubber, such as a bicycle inner tube, and concentrate on both negative and positive resistance. Don't let the band snap your arm back into position- fight it all the way.

If you aren't getting enough positive resistance, get an additional inner tube. You can work your arms, legs and even your abs by simply stretching an innertube or a bungee cord while doing extensions.

*** don't forget to get the valves cut off of the innertubes and also buy
a pair of safety goggles to protect your eyes
and be on the lookout for any wear or tear on the tubing...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Getting Started

Below is a beginner program with tubes or bands. The program is broken up by muscle group and is designed to be performed three days a week. You can modify the order of exercises or days you work a specific muscle group if you like. Select tubes or bands with which you can do 10-15 repetitions to fatigue and do one to three sets per exercise. It's time to increase the tension when you can do more than 15 repetitions. Make all movements slow enough to feel a burning in the muscle.

Muscles grow during rest days, not training days, so you need to leave enough time to recover. You may only need two days of rest between sessions, but if you train very hard you may need as many as three or four days. You'll know if you need more rest if you're tired at your workout, your strength is diminishing, you find it difficult to get through the entire workout, or you are chronically sore. Listen to your body, and you'll get good results.

Here's the program.

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Chest press

1. Attach tube to a door at chest height.
2. Stand with your back to the door holding the handles.
3. Put one foot in front of the other for stability.
4. Lift handles to chest height, elbows back, palms facing floor, and press straight away from chest.
5. Return to starting position.
Chest fly (like a cable fly at the gym)

1. Attach tube to the door at chest height.
2. Stand perpendicular to the door with right side closest to door.
3. Stretch right arm out toward door with tube handle in one hand.
4. There should be tension in the tube.
5. Lean forward so torso is parallel to floor.
6. Pull arm across front of body with elbow slightly bent.
7. Repeat for left arm.
Triceps press-down

1. Attach tube to door at eye level.
2. Hold handles with elbows bent 90 degrees at your side.
3. There should be tension in the tube.
4. Extend arm down by straightening it so that your hands end by your hips, and then return to starting position.
Day 2: Back and Biceps

Rows

1. Attach tube to door at chest height.
2. Put one foot in front of the other for stability.
3. Hold handles with arms stretched out in front toward door with tension in the tube.
4. Pull tube so that your elbows end up behind you (like rowing a boat) and then return to starting position.
Curls

1. Hold handles with arms straight down along your sides and stand on tube so that it is securely under your foot and can't snap up (you should wear shoes).
2. Bend elbows and lift the forearms up.
3. Elbows should remain still.
4. Return to starting position.
Day 3: Shoulders and Legs

Lateral raises

1. Stand on tube so that it is securely under your foot and can't snap up (you should wear shoes).
2. Hold handles with arms straight down along your sides, palms facing inward.
3. Stand on tube so that it is securely under your foot and can't snap up (you should wear shoes).
4. With elbows bent slightly, lift arms out to side and stop when hands are at chest level and arms are parallel to the floor.
5. Return to starting position.
Front raise

1. Same as lateral raise except lift arms to front.
2. Stop when hands are at chest height, and then return to starting position.
Squat

1. Stand on tube so that it is securely under your foot and can't snap up (you should wear shoes).
2. Bring hands up over shoulders with elbows bent at side.
3. There should be tension in the tube.
4. Hold handles still and squat down as if you were trying to sit down.
5. Make sure knees stay behind toes (if your knees end up in front of your toes, it will strain your knees).
6. Return to standing position.

Source:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...y=78846&page=2

================================================== ======
Below are some you tube videos which illustrate some of the exercises.
How tough you make it depends on the tubing and the specific exercise movement

Tube Workout

nice 5 min workout for everyone
for the squats just do chair squats if regular one hurt

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GZNchwEFX8
----------------------------------------------
Safety Tips with Tubing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuxxo...eature=related

Lat Pull

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rq8RaSktmx0

Chest Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKmVYF6LsS4&NR=1

Tricep Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Xfyf0yC8Y&NR=1

Squats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6t1E...eature=related

Lateral Raises
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zan...eature=related
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I find that swimming is an excellent all body workout. You get cardio and strength training, and toning all in one.

As for weight lifting/strength training: I bought a book called Anatomy for Strenght Training, and it gave me tons of ideas. In general I found I would sweat more if I used smaller weights and more reps of whatever muscle group I was working on.

pilates kicks your ass

And also a stability ball has sooooo many uses and is really good for building your core. I usually do crunches on it, or I sit on it when I do upper body strength training using small weights.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #31
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by olwen View Post
I find that swimming is an excellent all body workout. You get cardio and strength training, and toning all in one.

As for weight lifting/strength training: I bought a book called Anatomy for Strenght Training, and it gave me tons of ideas. In general I found I would sweat more if I used smaller weights and more reps of whatever muscle group I was working on.

pilates kicks your ass

And also a stability ball has sooooo many uses and is really good for building your core. I usually do crunches on it, or I sit on it when I do upper body strength training using small weights.
The nice part about your workout is that you have a nice mix to rpevent boredom.

Below is a listing of some of the earlier threads which discussed exercise.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Joint and Jogging

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=34736

Exercise Physiology vs. Dermo Dynamics

"Some suggestions on How Large folks can exercise"

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=32247

Functional Strength Training

"Earlier thread with some links to Cross fit - Benefits of doing Squats"

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=23043

Water Aerobics

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=23095

Best Sport for BBWs

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=24255

Flexibility and Strength

"Indian clubs- Kundalini Yoga"
Royal Trio Great Bodyweight Exercises (Hindu Squats- Hindu Pushups- Neck Bridging)

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=23072

Weights and Strength

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...ad.php?t=24114
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #32
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

cool. I haven't really explored this area of Dims, those are good places to start.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #33
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Great thread, tony!

Jon, I repped him for ya.

Oh and favorite workouts-- kundalini yoga, weight-lifting, bodyweight strength training, HIIT (high intensity interval training). Since I don't have access to weights at the mo I'm relying on bodyweight exercises which will have to do for now.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #34
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I hate gyms....I get way too self-conscious to get any enjoyment out of it. If I had my own gym with just me in it I think I'd like it more!

I have to be careful exercising (not just coz I'm unfit! Lol!) due to a dodgy knee (moral of the tale: never dancemat when drunk!). I really like swimming and I love water aerobics - I'd go everyday if I could afford it! I'm trying to persuade my friend to come to Pilates with me as I'm really inflexible and have bad posture (have always been/had this, not just since I've been fat) and I think it'll help.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #35
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I hate gyms....I get way too self-conscious to get any enjoyment out of it. If I had my own gym with just me in it I think I'd like it more!
Oh I am with you on that one. I loathe gyms. But I love working out at home. And even the full set of adjustable weighs I have my eye on is cheaper than a year at a gym. I'm much more likely to stick with things if I can do it in my own home.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post
Oh I am with you on that one. I loathe gyms. But I love working out at home. And even the full set of adjustable weighs I have my eye on is cheaper than a year at a gym. I'm much more likely to stick with things if I can do it in my own home.
I think for me - I just tune out what goes on in the gym. I've worked out at all different types of gyms; but, it doesn't matter as I'm there to enjoy the workout for me.

It's bad enough when to deal with the crowds- wait for certain equipment and fucking slobs that don't even wipe the sweat off the equipment... One convenience is equipment that I would not have at home and the fact that if I wanted to train heavy that option is available.

Now nothing beats a home workout- and this is where I opt for dumbbells - tubing etc. but, I am open to keep creative and combat boredom. I admit working out can be boring and you have to come up with different things every now and then to prevent staleness.

When do you do your kundalini yoga exercises?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
I think for me - I just tune out what goes on in the gym. I've worked out at all different types of gyms; but, it doesn't matter as I'm there to enjoy the workout for me.

It's bad enough when to deal with the crowds- wait for certain equipment and fucking slobs that don't even wipe the sweat off the equipment... One convenience is equipment that I would not have at home and the fact that if I wanted to train heavy that option is available.

Now nothing beats a home workout- and this is where I opt for dumbbells - tubing etc. but, I am open to keep creative and combat boredom. I admit working out can be boring and you have to come up with different things every now and then to prevent staleness.

When do you do your kundalini yoga exercises?
I think the crowds are what get me the most. It interrupts your flow and makes you more irritated than worked out. And self consciousness is something I don't want to deal with either.

The boredom would get me but I try to do different stuff all the time. Exercise DVDs, as cheesy as they usually are, can be good for combating the slump. I just that P90X dvd set thing which changes what you're doing every week, so we'll see how that goes.

I do yoga at home, and there are some poses that probably aren't great to do alone. But I think that I've been doing it long enough to be ok. Still, every time I go into headstand I think "hm....what if I fall funny and break my neck!?" Won't happen, but I like to worry.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #38
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I have to be careful exercising (not just coz I'm unfit! Lol!) due to a dodgy knee (moral of the tale: never dancemat when drunk!). I really like swimming and I love water aerobics - I'd go everyday if I could afford it! I'm trying to persuade my friend to come to Pilates with me as I'm really inflexible and have bad posture (have always been/had this, not just since I've been fat) and I think it'll help.
You know, the pilates might help with your knee as well. I think that you can strengthen the muscles around the knee so that it's more protected.

High five, fellow drunken injuree.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #39
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
High five, fellow drunken injuree.
*high fives*
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #40
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Another Inexpensive Workout Alternative

Now I have not trained with Sandbags- but, perhaps some of you dimmers can share your thoughts. I've also included some links on how to make your own OR buy online...

I think you could also use an army duffle bag -but, have not found any links on this yet...

The closest thing that I use to workout with in the gym was a Martial Arts
6FT heavy bag to do various lifts.

==============================

A Build-It-Yourself Gym

Tuesday, December 12, 2006; HE05

I am a fitness equipment nut. But my husband has learned not to let me near sporting goods stores, and I know better than to let late-night TV purchases drain my wallet and clutter my closets . . . anymore. Instead, to maintain my habit and my marriage, I've conned Hubby into thinking that we're bonding over building projects when really I'm just using him to get gym equipment on the cheap. Hence, my homemade "crafty" gym.

Project 1: Sandbag

Talk about a versatile piece of equipment. You can hoist a sandbag to work the upper body, jump over it for cardio training, put it on the shoulders or hold it while walking, squatting or lunging for intense lower-body training. When I'm feeling hard-core, I attach the bag to my weight lifting belt and drag it around.

Cost:$22

Materials: One Army surplus (or other rugged) duffel bag, several one-gallon plastic zip-top bags, one contractor bag or thick garbage bag, duct tape, 50 pounds of sand

How to: Fill the zip-top bags three-quarters full with sand; press out air. Tape each bag lengthwise and then widthwise until you have what looks like a foot-square silver pillow.

Fill the contractor bag with the duct-taped sand packets to the weight you want. Gather the bag at the top, twist twice and fold the contractor bag down over itself to reinforce the shell. Completely cover the shell with duct tape. Put the taped shell into the duffel bag.

Sandbag thruster : Hold the bag against your chest, palms away from your body. Grip the bag from the top. Squat down (weight over your heels, to protect your knees), then stand up and lift the sandbag overhead in one motion. Do five reps. Repeat.

(Source A Build-It-Yourself Gym- Washingtonpost.com)

Homemade Sandbag Option 2

http://crossfitjerseyshore.typepad.c...de_sandba.html

--------------------------------------------------

Sandbag Training Video - YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jyBO6GfBPuc

-------------------------------------------------

No Weights No Problem - Weight Training for ALL

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=63

------------------------------------------------

Sandbag Fitness Training - Also has info on purchasing one

http://sandbagexercises.com/sandbag.html
Old 04-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #41
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Awesome! Thanks, tony!!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #42
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default No Equipement No excuse

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks, tony!!
Here are some more

JHammer Curl with Milk Plastic Containers

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CUrL4uHPmVs&feature=related

Kung Fu Grip training - with a Pasta Sauce Jar

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XwO0PScqcd8
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #43
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

These are great because too many 'make your own weights' articles directed at women give you instructions for a 3-pound weight.

Great. 3 pounds. Watch me while I get ripped.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #44
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
These are great because too many 'make your own weights' articles directed at women give you instructions for a 3-pound weight.

Great. 3 pounds. Watch me while I get ripped.

Hi Waxwing:

How about curvy and strong! We'll save the 'ripped' look for muscle beach.

What I liked about the Sandbag thread and some of the information that I read - was that you can make the Sandbag light or heavy. From
20lbs - 100lbs.

This video shows some nice exercises to do.

DieselCrew.com- Quick Grappler Sandbag Circuit

Also on the 'Commentary' was another alternative to build your own Sandbag.
I would add just really secure that garbage bag with tape and double bag it to make sure it doesn't break.

Search ebay for "army duffle"

Take and put a garbage bag inside the army duffle and then fill it with sand or pea gravel.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xWH5YkMnkDY&feature=related

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with the Kung Fu Grip jar - you could fill the jar with water or gravel (as you get stronger). Here's another just using a towel.

Forearm Wrist training

Great grip exerciser using just a towel-
you could try to crumble a newspaper sheet with each hand to get the same effect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q_k5gIsQZBE

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with your fustration with regards to 'homemade' weights and how certain articles are gender based. Which is why with something like tubing (which strengthens the muscles at different angles) you can go for the commercial tubing OR get creative and use bike/motorcycle inner tubes

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #45
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Hi Waxwing:

How about curvy and strong! We'll save the 'ripped' look for muscle beach.
Yes to curvy and strong! Ripped is too much work for me anyway. I just meant that too few women understand that lifting heavy is great for you and will NOT turn you into a he-man.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #46
Fyreflyintheskye
☯tae kwan donut champ☯

Fyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions community

hopscotch, hulahoops, and Skip-It are my special cardio secrets. I also swim in a tiger shark tank strapped with sides of bloody beef to increase my speed and endurance once or twice a week.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #47
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenBakeSharleen View Post
hopscotch, hulahoops, and Skip-It are my special cardio secrets. I also swim in a tiger shark tank strapped with sides of bloody beef to increase my speed and endurance once or twice a week.

Are you training for the French Foreign Legion
Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #48
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Are you training for the French Foreign Legion
Stealing this quote.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #49
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Stealing this quote.
No problem - I'm sure this "quote:" will be in expert hands
Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #50
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Quick Workout for Neck Stress

Quick workout for Neck Stress Relief

Some exercise ideas for neck tension relief technique From Kevin Gianni and LiveAwesome.com.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wWQItKnrHmY&feature=related