Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #51
ThikJerseyChik
Sweet & Salty ;)

ThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions community

For me, I would have to say SEX....yep...thats MY fav!

No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed :cool:

Well behaved women rarely make history
;)

If you keep doing what you've always done,
you'll keep getting what you've always gotten!
:bow:
ThikJerseyChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Thumbs up Sex and Exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThikJerseyChik View Post
For me, I would have to say SEX....yep...thats MY fav!
LMAOF - well that would make exercising both 'fun' and 'enjoyable'
I have to rep ya on that - what good is it to workout and not put your
'hard earned' efforts to use

Now where is that great thread/post that I use to read about on the Dimensions site on Sex positions?

I remember reading an article somewhere on an exercise plan to get you physically ready was something in Men Health. The other exercises that were reccommended were: Hindu Pushups ,Yoga to name a few... so hopefully some Yoga Practicing Dimmers can chime in

=================================================

Exercises For Better Sex
by Kevin Davies

Sex is a physical activity so naturally getting and keeping fit will greatly improve your love-making skills. Here are some exercises for better sex.

The pubococcygeal (PC) muscles

The muscles you use to stop urinating midstream are called the pubococcygeal (PC) muscles. If you're male they’re also the muscles that contract when you ejaculate. You can learn to build control over them and prolong ejaculation by doing an exercise called a Kegel. Start by doing a short clench of your PC muscles, relax, and then try to do a longer clench for about 10 to 15 seconds. Repeat ten times, at least three times a day. The more you do the better control you will have.

Kegel exercises are good for women to do as well. By practicing them you will have more control over your vaginal muscles. You'll get more sexual satisfaction and a reduced chance of vaginal infections.

Pelvic lifts

Lie down on your back with your knees bent and your hands by your side. Lift your pelvis up and down as if you were having sexual intercourse. This is a great exercise for the doggy-style position. It's also my favorite exercise for better sex.

Push-ups

Lie down on your stomach with your hands parallel to your shoulders. Push up with your hands until your arms are straight and your chest and knees are off the ground. Then lower your body so it almost touches the ground. Repeat ten to twenty times.

Crunches

Lie down on your back with your knees bent. Cross your feet together and lift them off the ground so that they are parallel to the floor. With your hands on the back of your head or crossed against your chest lift your chest off the ground using your stomach. Be sure to focus on a spot on the ceiling to avoid straining your neck. Do three sets of twenty each.

Slides

Lie down on your back with your knees bent. Place your hands on the top of your thighs and slide them to the top of your knees, lifting your chest off the ground and using your stomach muscles. Slide your hands back down to your thighs. Do three sets of twenty each. Again, be sure to focus on a spot on the ceiling to avoid straining your neck

Prayers

Lie down on your back with your knees bent and legs apart. With your hands in a prayer position push them through your legs, lifting your chest off the ground and using your stomach muscles. Do three sets of twenty each.

Do push-ups and stomach exercises to strengthen your shoulder, back and abdominal muscles. You won’t tire as easy when you’re making love.

About the Author:

Kevin Davies is author of the "The Eros Hummingbird" eBook. In this eBook you'll learn essential information about the female G-spot and a new sexual technique that will give your lover the most intense orgasms she has ever had. To buy "The Eros Hummingbird" please visit

http://www.eroshummingbird.com.

-----------------------------------------------
Kegel Exercise for Better Sex

Vaginal Exercise Tips
Kegel Exercise for Men

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5W5Mvfv-hIg&feature=related
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #53
ThikJerseyChik
Sweet & Salty ;)

ThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions communityThikJerseyChik is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Didn't I tell you my REAL name is Kevin Davies???

No one ever died from sleeping in an unmade bed :cool:

Well behaved women rarely make history
;)

If you keep doing what you've always done,
you'll keep getting what you've always gotten!
:bow:
ThikJerseyChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #54
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just did Jon Hackelman's "The Pit workout." It's like 10 bucks, and it can be done with or without equipment (hand wraps, punching bag, and a jump rope so far). There's lower body, upper body, and full body sessions. I did the leg workout. Whoooo boy.... My legs are killing me, and my ankle hurts from kicking my heavy bag.

"MY ASS IS SUCKING BUTTERMILK!"

"Happiness is not stopping to think if you are."- Palmer Sondreal
Jon Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #55
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
I just did Jon Hackelman's "The Pit workout." It's like 10 bucks, and it can be done with or without equipment (hand wraps, punching bag, and a jump rope so far). There's lower body, upper body, and full body sessions. I did the leg workout. Whoooo boy.... My legs are killing me, and my ankle hurts from kicking my heavy bag.

"MY ASS IS SUCKING BUTTERMILK!"
Getting ripped for the Memorial Day Bash

Just kidding Jon - that workout routine sounds pretty good- I looked at a
demo clip on Youtube. Seems to have all the great bodyweight exercises:
burpees, hindu pushups etc. Now which site did you by the workout DVD from?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #56
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!Jon Blaze keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
Getting ripped for the Memorial Day Bash

Just kidding Jon - that workout routine sounds pretty good- I looked at a
demo clip on Youtube. Seems to have all the great bodyweight exercises:
burpees, hindu pushups etc. Now which site did you by the workout DVD from?
Oh yea! Gotta look good for the ladiessssss! For once I'm thinking about what I look like. Kidding! heheh
Google "The pit workout." They have their own site. Amazon also has it, and I bought my copy on ebay for about 12 dollars with shipping. It is supplemented with a jump rope, punching bag (heavy or freestanding), handwraps, gloves, and so forth.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #57
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Blaze View Post
Oh yea! Gotta look good for the ladiessssss! For once I'm thinking about what I look like. Kidding! heheh
Google "The pit workout." They have their own site. Amazon also has it, and I bought my copy on ebay for about 12 dollars with shipping. It is supplemented with a jump rope, punching bag (heavy or freestanding), handwraps, gloves, and so forth.
Holy crap I want this NOW.

A friend of mine just got this suspension training system and it's great. You'd be surprised how much it can kick your ass. It is also 200 bucks, dammit.

This is a great site written by a woman and geared toward women, but usable by anyone. It goes through the basics of lifting and nutrition, and gives some great workout ideas for people who have no equipment (sandbag workouts, etc.). It also has a primer on how to learn to do a pullup, which is my damn goal (yeah, I know, not that impressive on the surface, but really tough if you're a chick). Check it out. http://stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
Old 04-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #58
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post

A friend of mine just got this suspension training system and it's great. You'd be surprised how much it can kick your ass. It is also 200 bucks, dammit.

This is a great site written by a woman and geared toward women, but usable by anyone. It goes through the basics of lifting and nutrition, and gives some great workout ideas for people who have no equipment (sandbag workouts, etc.). It also has a primer on how to learn to do a pullup, which is my damn goal (yeah, I know, not that impressive on the surface, but really tough if you're a chick). Check it out. http://stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
Waxwing: Thanks for the heads up on this - I would have to check further to see what the bodyweight limit is for that system. Looks awesome.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #59
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
Waxwing: Thanks for the heads up on this - I would have to check further to see what the bodyweight limit is for that system. Looks awesome.
I just looked and it says 350, but also mentioned that it's been successfully tested to 1200 lbs.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #60
comperic2003

comperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokescomperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post

If you just are interested in the straps and handles, you could make your own for a fraction of the price. I made mine for about 30 bucks. Or you could always buy blast straps for 60 bucks. Considering these things are made by a powerlifter, you can guarantee they will support a lot of weight. In fact, "[T]he 'weakest' point on the blast straps is tested at over 600lbs. That is per strap."

Last edited by comperic2003; 04-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.
comperic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #61
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by comperic2003 View Post
If you just are interested in the straps and handles, you could make your own for a fraction of the price. I made mine for about 30 bucks. Or you could always buy blast straps for 60 bucks. Considering these things are made by a powerlifter, you can guarantee they will support a lot of weight. In fact, "[T]he 'weakest' point on the blast straps is tested at over 600lbs. That is per strap."
Cool! Thank you! Those look great.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #62
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Summer Exercise

For me the worse time to workout is during the summer. If you are not at the beach, pool, park, airconditioned gym - you have to be pretty creative to get a workout during the dog days of summer...

Absent a pool, beach, air conditioned gym... how do you plan your workouts?

For me - if none of the above was available - I would do a morning workout
(getting up at 5am- 6am to avoid that summer midday heat)
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #63
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I just joined a gym and thought I would hate any minute of it, but it's actually quite enjoyable and gives me lots of energy. I want to be a fit fatty

I walk my dog and bicycle on my own so my trainer focus mainly on strength (& some balance). She quickly realized I've basically no power in my arms. She's probably half my weight and 5 times stronger or something! Sick

1 question: Do any of you bigger girls/guys manage to take push ups? I find it quite impossible to lift my upper body from the floor. My trainer says I will make it in the end but I doubt it!

Last edited by Suze; 04-25-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #64
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
I just joined a gym and thought I would hate any minute of it, but it's actually quite enjoyable and gives me lots of energy. I want to be a fit fatty

I walk my dog and bicycle on my own so my trainer focus mainly on strength (& some balance). She quickly realized I've basically no power in my arms. She's probably half my weight and 5 times stronger or something! Sick

1 question: Do any of you bigger girls/guys manage to take push ups? I find it quite impossible to lift my upper body from the floor. My trainer says I will make it in the end but I doubt it!
Hi Susie:

Pushups are a great workout. Here are some videos that I saw on Youtube.

Pushups for the Beginner

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S990kHLMVFg

--------------------------------------------
19 Pushup Variations

Knee and Bench Pushups are an excellent start
pending how you feel

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VWKW19dgceQ

===================================

Wall Pushups

*** if you don't feel comfy with the bouncy motion - then
use a more controlled movement.

But this video shows some nice stuff

http://youtube.com/watch?v=22P0NezrXpc

==========================================

Crossfit -Beginner to Advanced Pushups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Ipe...eature=related
Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #65
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i didn't even think about checking out youtube. thanks tony! these vids were very helpful!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #66
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm about 22 stone and I can do push ups! Not many, granted, but I can do them! All my strength is in my arms though, always has been. Push ups and rowing I can do, but ask me to run anywhere and I'm a dead girl! Lol!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #67
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I do kitchen pushups...against me kitchen counters. Heh.
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #68
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
I'm about 22 stone and I can do push ups! Not many, granted, but I can do them! All my strength is in my arms though, always has been. Push ups and rowing I can do, but ask me to run anywhere and I'm a dead girl! Lol!
That's a comfort! I hope I can do I eventually. Fridays attempts was pathetic, really.

Me (after many tries) : Am I doing it right??
Trainer: Not at all.

She's such a sweetheart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz (di-va) View Post
I do kitchen pushups...against me kitchen counters. Heh.
lol
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #69
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
That's a comfort! I hope I can do I eventually. Fridays attempts was pathetic, really.

Me (after many tries) : Am I doing it right??
Trainer: Not at all.

She's such a sweetheart.

lol
Don't worry - we'll get you to doing 100 pushups in no time
Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #70
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Chinese Iron Balls- Dexterity Ball Training for Hand Health

Meridian Balls - Chinese Iron Balls -Chinese Therapy Balls

Do any of you Dimmers use them?

It's a very inexpensive exercise equipment with loads of benefits. It's helped with my wrist pain- I don't have carpal tunnel yet ;but, helps with the post recovery from lifting. The Boading balls are priced for under $10 -but, that depends on the style-diameter and where you are buying them from.

Some of the benefits of Chinese Boading Balls (carpal tunnel syndrome, stiffness in joints, desk/computer jockeys "improve hand health" to athletes that practice the martial arts. I guess for folks with carpal tunnel good thing to check with your medical practioner to see how this can help - just to play it safe...

Brief History - One perspective Qi-Journal.com
---------------------------------------------------

I've owned a set of Baoding "Chinese Exercise Balls" for fifteen years, and have periodically picked them up and twirled them around a few times, thinking that someday I would devote some time to practicing this "healthy" exercise.

When visitors would ask about them, I would explain that when you twirled them about, they massaged the acupuncture points of the hand, and would give them a short demonstration. I made sure to tell them that a set was given to President Nixon upon his arrival to China in 1974, so obviously the Chinese considered them a prized gift.

The balls were always available, sitting on top of the desk, table, or counter... waiting for me to pick them up.

Whenever I saw a set for sale, I would ask about the origin and history of the balls. The typical answer is that they came from ancient China, and they were good for your health. When I asked in China during one of my visits, they left out "came from ancient China" and just said that they were good for your health. Did no one know about the balls?

Then, in Daoist fashion, a man showed up to help me unravel the mysteries of the Baoding Exercise Balls. I want to relate my experiences to you, so you too can discover the mysteries of the Baoding iron ball.

It was no bearded sage that sat me down and told me the secrets, but a young man that picked up a set of balls and effortlessly twirled them around in a manner I had never seen. Actually, he didn't seem to know much about the history of the balls, but he demonstrated twirling two, then three, then four balls in one hand, and explained more in our brief two-minute meeting than I had heard in fifteen years.

Armed with a little information, and a fresh visual image of how the balls seemed to rotate by themselves in his hand, I practiced relentlessly for a week.

Although I practice Taijiquan daily, my week-long escapade with the balls taught me much. It taught me about the philosophy of Yin-Yang, internal strength, coordination, stamina, and perhaps is making me healthier as well.

A Little History

The Baoding ball is thought to originate in Baoding, China, a small city in Heibei province. In that town, tye are referred to as "Iron Balls" because they were originally made from solid iron.

In more recent years, the heavy solid ball has been replaced with a hollow, chrome-plated steel model... usually with an sounding plate inside that makes a pleasant tone as the balls are rotated. The balls are still available in solid steel, solid stone, and solid jade versions as well. I have even seen Cloisonne models which must be mostly for display. The hollow chrome balls are by far the most popular and are manufactured by several large factories in China. Several of these modern companies manufacture aerospace products as well.

Although the date of origin is unknown, mass production of the Baoding Iron Ball dates back to the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), and Baoding craftsmen still meticulously produce the majority of the balls we see.

How They Work

As we are told by most salespesons, the balls work on the meridians much like acupuncture or shiatsu massage. According to Chinese traditional medical theory, these meridians (Jingluo) are channels or pathways through which vital energy (Qi) circulates within the body. Acupuncture points are also distributed along these Jingluo meridians. By means of the Jingluo, the ten fingers are connected with the cranial nerve and vital organs of the human body including heart, liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, gallbladder, stomach and intestines. By stimulating these points with the Baoding balls, each meridian is stimulated which in turn can create better circulation of vital energy and blood within the body.

As one Chinese brochure states: (literally) "It can cause the jingluo unblocked and thorough, the vital energy and blood to function in harmony. the muscles nimble, the bones strong, the mind sober, can invigorate the circulation of blood, and can prevent and cure hypertension and various chronic diseases. If you keep on taking exercise every day for months and years, you can get the fine results of keeping your brain in good health with high intelligence and good memory, relieving your fatigue, drowning your worries, and moreover, prolonging your life."

After a week of practice I cannot confirm the above claims, but I did find working with the balls a very rewarding experience.

One Size Fits All?

Today, the Baoding balls come in many sizes--mainly because foreigners also come in many sizes. It is recommended that a person start with a size that can be handled easily, then perhaps work up to the larger sizes. The most common sizes range from a diameter of 35mm to 55mm. The 35mm is small and is usually used by children or an adult less than 5'2". The 55mm is best reserved for either the experienced user or someone who is over 6'2".

Xiao Xin: Be Careful

The chrome-plated steel balls are easy to care for, especially if you are an active practitioner. If you are going to leave the balls inactive for a time, just use a light oil or automotive wax on their surface to prevent rust from forming. They usually come in a strong, specially formed case that holds them and displays them for curious visitors. What other exercise equipment can you display with dignity in your living room?

But please take care of where you hold the balls as you practice. Things I learned from experience ... don't hold the balls high over your head, knees or toes. As a beginner, you will undoubtedly drop a ball, and 10 ounces of falling steel can be quite painful.

As one store owner told me, don't hold the balls over expensive handicrafts or it could turn out to be a very expensive exercise session. A falling ball can easily shatter a glass display case.

When I was younger, I heard that the balls were used as a weapon in China, but my recent research failed to find any reference or reason for throwing expensive exercise balls as a weapon when a rock would be just as effective. I guess if someone attacked you while you were practicing you could use them as a weapon. If you were a true martial artist, you could easily defeat the enemy and then leave a set of balls for them as a friendly gesture to help speed their recovery.

How To Start

Begin your practice with two balls. Rotate them clockwise and counter-clockwise within your palm. This first step is easy and you will soon begin to experiment, finding that if you hold your hand at a certain angle, gravity will help you rotate the balls.

After you feel comfortable at this level, which should take only a couple of hours of practice, you can proceed to deeper learning. Try rotating the balls smoothly, without them coming apart and clashing together again. As an alternative, you might try rotating them without them touching ... this will work your fingers a little more, and is difficult if the balls are a little large for your hand size.

Another alternative is to turn your palm downwards and rotate the balls. This will build some finger strength and dexterity, much like rotating the balls without touching. Be inventive and try cascading them one over the other, etc.

If you practice for more than fifteen minutes with one hand, you will soon notice that your forearm, shoulder, and hands are receiving a substantial workout. Don't overdo it... relax and rest a bit if your body needs it.

The External Method

The logical and obvious way of moving the balls is to push them around with your fingers. When one ball pushes against the other, it replaces it and the other ball must move. If your palm is curved, the second ball moves into the position that the first ball occupied and the rotation is begun. Repeating this one simple movement will be enough to begin your adventure with the balls. There are many variations of this theme, and you can use three balls to increase the difficulty. With enough practice, you can even work them around your fingers like a magician.

The Other or "Internal" Method

The next step is like learning an internal martial art. You must begin to concentrate on what makes the balls move around in your palm. When you see someone who is good with the balls, they seem to rotate like magic, with almost no external effort. One important thing I have realized over the years, the obvious way is not always the most efficient way of doing things.

I found that the "other" way of moving the balls is by making space for them to roll into. You can practice this by rotating one ball in your palm. By manipulating each muscle of the palm, and by putting your palm very flat so gravity does not affect the movement, you can make the ball more about. Once you can make one ball move, you can usually get two balls to rotate slowly. Keep in mind that you are not pushing the balls, but giving them a space in which to roll. With practice, you will be able to rotate the balls smoothly and seemingly effortlessly within your palm.

This method requires small, minute adjustments of the muscles which takes quite a bit of concentration and relentless practice.

Relax, concentrate on the body, movement within stillness, stillness within movement... sounds like a meditation, taijiquan, calligraphy, massage, qigong, or yoga class. Once you realize that the concept is the same, you can practice any of these disciplines while you are working with the balls.

Higher Levels of Practice

To help you master the "Internal" method, you can test your abilities by using three balls. Once you can rotate three balls smoothly (without them separating), you can put a fourth ball on the top and watch it spin in the reverse direction...a trick showed me by the young master.

Another technique which I have seen highly skilled practitioners do, is to rotate two balls smoothly without them touching each other, using almost no hand motion. I have heard stories about people who could do the same with three balls.

One man told me about competitions among older gentlemen in China, where they would meet and compare techniques. Although I consider him the best I have ever seen at manipulating the balls, he said his skill was not worth mentioning compared to these gentlemen.

Conclusion

Do I feel healthier? I must admit, I have not noticed a significant improvement over the last week, except that my arms ache after practicing a half an hour with three 55mm balls. Of course, a week isn't enough time to test any "preventive" treatment, and the balls were never considered effective as a "first-aid" or quick treatment. I think that the balls would be an excellent exercise for persons suffering with arthritis and because I believe in the effectiveness of acupuncture, I feel as though they can help support a preventive health care system such as traditional Chinese medicine.

Although I will probably never be as good as many persons I have seen, at least those Baoding iron balls that I bought fifteen years ago are not going to rust.

With the right attitude, a person can dramatically increase their knowledge of the "internal" arts by using these tools. I now find that they are a comforting friend when I am deep in thought, or when just relaxing and releasing the day's buildup of tension. After my week long intensive study of the balls, I have relaxed and decided to enjoy them instead of conquering them. Perhaps now they can being improving my health.

-----------------------------------

©Qi: The Journal of Traditional Eastern Health & Fitness, Autumn 1991. The author, Steve Luo, is a regular contributor and long-time practitioner of Chinese martial arts and philosophy.

source: http://www.qi-journal.com/culture.as...archID=Baoding

=================================================

Meridian balls- Chinese Balls Youtube Instructional Videos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=caJCwqGKRCY&feature=related

==============================================

Boading Balls-Chinese Iron Exercise Balls-video 2

***How to use them -nice intro and excercises to do

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pG5NCiIJ8uw&feature=related

==============================================

2 Boading Balls -Chinese Iron Exercise Balls - video 3

*** Additional Instruction

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fyuIu7jEnsY&feature=related

=============================================
Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #71
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default Some Additional Info on Boading Balls

Other BENEFITS OF BOADING EXERCISE BALLS:

Things I have serious personal doubts about I've highlighted in red-
I guess this would get into 'self accupressure' with the Boading Balls. I admit to being a beginner on this so will have to see what I can come up with or what new knowledge you Dimmers can share; but,consult with your doctor regarding any questions on Benfits of Boading & Accupressure to play it safe....
  1. Increased blood flow to the hand and wrists
  2. Protection against Alzheimer's disease
  3. Strength and dexterity in your hands and fingers
  4. Alleviation of stress
  5. Improved typing speed
  6. Easier fingering of musical instruments
  7. Prevention and some reversal of Arthritis
  8. Stronger Forearms
  9. Relief of Boredom (great for peaceful resting)
  10. Improved sleeping habits
  11. Distributes Chi
  12. Stronger Fingers
  13. Easier Meditation
  14. Improved Mental Agility
  15. Stress Relief
  16. Headaches Disappear
  17. Improved Circulation
  18. No more cold hands
  19. Improved Concentration
  20. Relief of boredom
  21. Faster typing speeds
  22. Less cramps
  23. Prevention of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
  24. No strain on your wallet!
  25. Conversational decorative piece
  26. Stylish Design, Some think it is art!
  27. Contains a chime that sounds as you use it
  28. Never gets boring
  29. Great present
  30. More Energy
  31. Comes with a fancy, lined, wooden box

source: http://www.ninja-weapons.com/Decorat...se_Hand_Balls/

=============================================
Beginners Guide to Accupressure

http://www.geocities.com/jrh_iii/acupressure/
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #72
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

Default No Time -No Excuse

I admit to being one of those sors that will say- hell I am too tired at the end of the day to even consider a workout. A desk job is draining in it's own way as much as a physical one....

So I have been guilty in not keeping up with a standard routine- so what do when "real life responsibilities" ....

Abbreviated Workouts

Here are some interesting links - but will add some more on this subject later...

http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/g...ining/busy.htm

Zap's Gym Routine

http://www.zapsgym.com/resources/workouts.htm
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #73
t3h_n00b

t3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going ont3h_n00b knows EXACTLY what's going on

Here's my current weekly workout

Day 1: Chest
Incline Bench Press 3x8-10
Bench Press 3x8-10
Incline Flyes 3x8-10
Pec Dec 3x8-10 (5 second static contractions on each rep)

Day 2: Back
Rack Pulls 3x8-10
Pullups (Behind the neck, to the chest, and hammer grip) 2x8-10 each
Barbell Rows 3x8-10
Seated Cable Rows 3x8-10

Day 3: Shoulders
Seated Military Press 2x8-10, Unilateral Hammer Strength shoulder press 2x8-10
Upright Rows 3x8-10
Side and Front Laterals 3x8-10 (super set)
Lying rear laterals 3x8-10
Reverse pec dec 3x8-10

abs
Roman Chair 3x50
Cable Crunches 2x50
Dragon Flags 2x10-12

Day 4: Arms
Standing Alternate Dumbell Curls
Barbell Curls 4x8-10 (2 sets close grip, 2 sets wide grip)
Preacher Curl, Reverse Curl 2x8 (superset)
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8-10
Standing Overhead Tricep Extension 4x8-10
Weighted Dips, Rope Pressdown 3x8-10 (superset)
Standing wrist curl (behind the back) 3x12-15

Day 5: Legs
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x8-10
Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press 3x8-10
Leg Curl 3x8-10
Seated Calf Raise 3x15-20
t3h_n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #74
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default *subscribing to this*

Interesting thread.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #75
Jon Blaze
Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Interesting thread.
Come on in! Find something you like.