Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Iron Foodee Challenge: April 2008

OK, I took a little time thinking this over. And for this month's Foodee Challenge, I choose.....

Chicken

I'll try to remember to set up voting on or about April 28. Let's bake, roast, grill, stir fry, etc.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Butterbelly
Melting in the desert

Butterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging inButterbelly makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Chicken Enchiladas

I know that everyone has their own version of chicken enchiladas, but here is mine. It's a constant request from friends and family, which is why I make these at least twice a month.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Blend
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
5 canned whole green chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
1 (28-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
16 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce, canned
1 cup shredded Cheddar and Jack cheeses
Garnish: chopped cilantro leaves, chopped scallions, sour cream, chopped tomatoes

Coat large saute pan with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken over medium heat, allow 7 minutes each side or until no longer pink. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, garlic powder and Mexican spices before turning. Remove chicken to a platter, allow to cool.

Saute onion and garlic in chicken drippings until tender. Add corn and chiles. Stir well to combine. Add canned tomatoes, saute 1 minute.
Pull chicken breasts apart by hand into shredded strips. Add shredded chicken to saute pan, combine with vegetables. Dust the mixture with flour to help set.

Microwave tortillas on high for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable. Coat the bottom of 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans with a ladle of enchilada sauce. Using a large shallow bowl, dip each tortilla in enchilada sauce to lightly coat. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla. Fold over filling, place 8 enchiladas in each pan with seam side down. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven until cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro, scallion, sour cream and chopped tomatoes before serving. Serve with Spanish rice and beans.

If I had my digital camera handy, I'd take a picture for you. I'll work on that soon

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Butterbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Soy Sauce Chicken

I chose this recipe because its SO easy but still very tasty, it's a recipe from my sister's Thai neighbour.

Six medium chicken thighs, skin on, bone in.
three medium garlic cloves, minced
about 2/3 inch of ginger, minced, or a teaspoon ground ginger
dessertspoon of brown sugar
Dark soy sauce

Stab the chicken thighs vigorously with a fork, each several times, then place them in an oven proof dish. sprinkle the garlic, ginger and sugar over the thighs, then pour on enough soy sauce that at least the bottom third of the thighs are sitting in the sauce. Now you can marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours, turning occasionally. However this is still tasty if you don't have time to marinate.

Making sure the thighs are upside down in the dish, put into the oven, marinade and all, uncovered, at 200c (between 374 and 392f will do if you work in farenheit) and cook for 20 mins. Then remove the dish, turn the thighs over and put back in for another 15 mins or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin nicely crisped.

Very good served with fried rice or boiled rice with peppers. Pour a little of the soy marinade over the chicken and rice.

Photos - Didnt focus too much on yucky looking raw upside down chicken thighs... 1950s original Pyrex not compulsory, but it helps . Tasty chicken, mmmm.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Chicken Meat Pie

Makes 1 pie

1 to 2 baked chicken breasts (skinless, boneless is perfect)
You also use an equal amount of other chicken parts (remove the skin).
1 4 oz can of mushrooms
1 can cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup
1 packet brown gravy mix
1/2 C instant potato flakes
2 Marie Calendars deep dish pie crusts

*you can also add part of a can of corn or some frozen corn or peas or what ever.

Let pie crusts thaw for 20 - 30 min before you start to assemble your pie.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Crumb or dice chicken into bite sized pieces and put in bottom pie crust.
It should easily cover the bottom of the entire pan.
Drain the can of mushrooms and scatter on top of chicken.
If you are adding some corn or what ever sprinkle it on top of the chicken too.

In a separate bowl mix the gravy mix, cream of mushroom soup
add 1 soup can of water OR 1 can of chicken broth. Mix until smooth.
Stir the instant potato flakes into the gravy/soup mixture.

Pour the gravy/soup/potato mixture over the chicken and mushrooms.
Depending on how much meat you used and if you added other veggies you may not need all of the gravy mixture.
Do not fill the pie to the rim with gravy or it will boil over when it bakes.
Fill it close to the top though.

Work the 2nd pie shell so its loose from its pan. Turn the pie shell in its pan upside down on top of your pie,
lining up the edges of the pie shells. Carefully lift off the pie tin from the top crust and pinch the edges of
both pie shells together to seal your pie shut. Cut a couple of slits in the top pie shells center to let
steam out. You will need to push the top pie shell down a bit to colapse the shell so its not "poking up with an air pocket in it".

I put the top crusts pie dish under the bottom pie pan for baking and bake it on a cookie sheet.
(see finished pie photo)

Bake for 50 - 60 min until crust is nicely browned.

Last edited by IdahoCynth; 04-05-2008 at 07:30 PM.
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Other than fried, this is my husbands favorite.

Take one whole chicken, (remove neck and innards packet for the cat or something). Rinse and pat dry. Cut a navel orange into quarters and insert into chicken with several cloves of peeled garlic. Set on rack in roasting pan. Put in oven at 350.

In a small sauce pan combine 3-4 Tbsps of butter, a couple big spoonfuls of orange juice concentrate and another clove or two of finely minced garlic, heat just to a simmer. Use this to baste the chicken every 10 minutes or so until the chicken is done. It will take a little longer than usual because of opening the oven door so often. It's done when the juices run clear (not pink) when the thickest part of the thigh is poked with a fork.

Be sure to make gravy out of the pan drippings, it's wonderful and you can throw in the roasted garlic cloves from inside the chicken as well. They'll be super mild from the roasting. We have it with mashed golds and fresh asparagus.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
ChubbyBubbles
Luke's Mommy

ChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCynth View Post
Chicken Meat Pie
Yummo! Sounds lovely and looks even better! Can't wait to try it!
:happy:
*Coincidence is when God chooses to remain annonymous*
ChubbyBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Upstate New York Foodee
Sick of poli-tricks

Upstate New York Foodee can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesUpstate New York Foodee can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I bookmarked this one a while ago and only made it once, but I did enjoy the end results very very much.

Nepali Spicy Grilled Chicken Sauteed in Chili Sauce

* 1.5 lbs. Chicken breasts, skinned, boned
* 3 dry whole red peppers
* 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
* 5 red chilies, julienned
* 1 cup onions, finely chopped
* 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon cumin powder
* 1 teaspoon coriander powder
* teaspoon turmeric
* cup green onion, cut in 1-in length
* salt to taste
* 2 tablespoons mustard oil
* 1 cup chicken broth
Marinade

* 1 cup yogurt
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* cup onions, roughly chopped
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 1 teaspoon pepper corn
* 1 teaspoon szechwan pepper(this might be called timur too I believe)
* 2 fresh red chilies
* 2 tablespoons mustard oil

1. In a blender combine all the marinating ingredients to form a smooth paste. Pour the marinating paste over the Chicken in a large bowl. Mix well, cover, and let marinate for at least four hours. Grill the marinated Chicken on a charcoal grill, occasionally turning until cooked through, about 7 min. Cut grilled Chicken into 1-in strips.
2. In a sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil. Fry dry whole red peppers till dark. Add turmeric and stir for 15 sec. Add onions, sautee in medium heat till brown. Add garlic, ginger, red chilies, cumin, coriander, black pepper, and salt to the Onion mixture. Fry for 30 sec, and add tomatoes and chicken broth. Lower the heat and let the tomato-Onion mixture simmer for 10 min till it thickens. Transfer grilled Chicken strips to the sauce, stir well. Cook for another 10 min to evaporate excess liquid so that the Chicken pieces are coated with the sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with green onions. Serve with rice., or roti (whole Wheat flat bread)
Upstate New York Foodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Other than fried, this is my husbands favorite.

Take one whole chicken, (remove neck and innards packet for the cat or something). Rinse and pat dry. Cut a navel orange into quarters and insert into chicken with several cloves of peeled garlic. Set on rack in roasting pan. Put in oven at 350.

In a small sauce pan combine 3-4 Tbsps of butter, a couple big spoonfuls of orange juice concentrate and another clove or two of finely minced garlic, heat just to a simmer. Use this to baste the chicken every 10 minutes or so until the chicken is done. It will take a little longer than usual because of opening the oven door so often. It's done when the juices run clear (not pink) when the thickest part of the thigh is poked with a fork.

Be sure to make gravy out of the pan drippings, it's wonderful and you can throw in the roasted garlic cloves from inside the chicken as well. They'll be super mild from the roasting. We have it with mashed golds and fresh asparagus.

oooh! I wish we had orange juice concentrate here now! I often roast chicken with lots of garlic cloves thrown in around the bird. When its cooked I squeeze the chickeny garlic pulp from the papery covering and mash it into the potatoes. Wonderful!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

It's even better if you put a couple of Tbs of honey in. I just noticed I left that out. I'm sure Ruby that you could simmer down regular OJ to concentrate it a bit. I just wouldn't let it boil.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

In case any of my veggie friends are reading this, this dish is just as good made with soy milk, soy cheese, and textured vegetable protein.

White Lasagna

1/2 lb. lasagna noodles
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced thick
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chicken, minced or ground
2 cups spinach, chopped, boiled, and drained

Cheese Sauce:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
dash cayenne pepper
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Cook the noodles and set aside. Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic, chicken, and spinach in the olive oil until the onions are transparent.
Combine the ingredients for the cheese sauce and heat, stirring, until it becomes like a thick batter. In an oiled casserole dish, put a layer of noodles. Cover with half the chicken mixture, and spread one-third of the sauce over that. Repeat these three layers. Make another layer of noodles and spread the rest of the cheese sauce over that. Bake at 375 degrees for thirty minutes or until light brown on top.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Chicken Colombo

This recipe for Chicken Colombo is compliments of Martha Stewart. She prepared this on her program yesterday and I drooled over it, bought what I needed to prepare it and made it tonight. It was DELICIOUS!

I didn't have the recipe in front of me, so I was going by memory and used less curry powder than she suggested (only one tablespoon instead of two), but it seemed perfect to me. Do what tastes best to you. Also, she was promoting a purple jasmin rice that I'm sure was wonderful, but I used basic brown. This was my first time to use fresh cilantro in anything and omg am I hooked. Photo below.

Chicken Colombo
Ingredients
(Serves 4)
1 1/4 cups purple rice, preferably Alter Eco, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (14 ounces) peeled chopped tomatoes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound), cut into strips
2 tablespoons curry
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 pinches ground cinnamon
Cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, for garnish

Directions
Place rice in a medium saucepan along with 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; immediately reduce to low heat. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until golden brown. Add tomatoes, chicken, and sprinkle over curry powder; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened and chicken is cooked through, 15 to 25 minutes. Add coconut milk and stir until well combined; cook 5 minutes more. Sprinkle over cinnamon.

Divide rice evenly among 4 serving plates; top with chicken mixture. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.

Fleeting Fancies

Last edited by ThatFatGirl; 03-17-2010 at 05:02 AM.
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oops. Duplicate post.

Last edited by rainyday; 04-28-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Didn't get a chance to take a picture myself, but this recipe is fabulous. Don't let the grilled title put you off--it works just as well cooked under the broiler. I've made it multiple times and each time it's really tender and has the most luscious blend of flavors from the marinade. Tastes like restaurant food to me. The leftovers are great in sandwiches too.

Grilled Chicken Thighs Tandoori

2 (6 ounce) containers plain yogurt
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground coriander
16 boneless skinless chicken thighs
olive oil spray

1. In a medium bowl, stir together yogurt, salt, pepper, cloves, and ginger.
Mix in garlic, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and coriander. Set aside.

2. Rinse chicken under cold water, and pat dry with paper towels. Place
chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour yogurt mixture over
chicken, press air out of bag, and seal. Turn the bag over several times
to distribute marinade. Place bag in a bowl, and refrigerate 8 hours, or
overnight, turning bag occasionally.

3. Preheat an outdoor grill for direct medium heat.

4. Remove chicken from bag, and discard marinade. With paper towels,
wipe off excess marinade. Spray chicken pieces with olive oil spray.

5. Place chicken on the grill, and cook about 2 minutes. Turn, and cook 2
minutes more. Then arrange the chicken to receive indirect heat, and
cook approximately 35 to 40 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180
degrees F.

Since I use the broiler rather than a grill, I skip the step of wiping off the marinade and don't spray the meat with the olive oil spray.
Makes 8 servings

I nabbed the picture from Allrecipes, which is where this is originally from.

Last edited by rainyday; 04-05-2009 at 04:34 AM.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
...Tastes like restaurant food to me...
Remember the olden days when restaurant food wanted to taste like home cooking??

p.s. that really sounds deeeelish.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote