Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Food trends that irritate you

If you can think of a better subject like, please do.

But little things like "all vegetarians are supposed to like eggplant and I hate it!" or "commercial jerk sauce is crap!". You get the idea.

Here's mine for the day:

CHILI DOES NOT BELONG ON NACHOS. EVER.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

Most commercial yogurt does not need to be made with gelatin.

Canned veggies without salt don't need to be pricier than the ones with salt. If you leave something out, why does it cost more?
LoveBHMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Ample Pie
Fattitude Problem

Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!

ALL NATURAL BAKED LAYS.

WTF? They weren't baked by laying them all out in the sun, they were baked in a commercial oven.

People who think they're being healthier for getting something just because the package says "all natural" give me the creeps.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yeah what's the point of the gelatin in yogurt? Agar isn't significantly more expensive to use.

It's pronounced CHIPOTLE. T before the L. Jeeez.

Similarly, it's MASCARPONE. See? No R before the S. Look at the damn word before you say it on TV.

Rebecca, those chips were dried by the sun in the yard of a Tuscan villa.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Dear every damned cooking show ever:

Stop telling me to seed the peppers. That should NOT be the default. You can mention to seed them if you dislike spice, so that they know, but why in the name of all that's holy would you remove them automatically? That's stupid.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Dear Starbucks (and a lot of other places),

Please, please, PLEASE stop adding honeydew melon syrup to all of your green tea based drinks. The macha/green tea flavor is delicious on its own, and in Japan, they have green tea frappuccinos and the like without honeydew and they're GREAT. Why did you even think that those 2 flavors go together anyway??? Who made that combo up?

Signed,

Tear
Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Fyreflyintheskye
☯tae kwan donut champ☯

Fyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions communityFyreflyintheskye is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBHMS View Post
Most commercial yogurt does not need to be made with gelatin.
YES!

And speaking of yogurt and annoying food trends, yogurt bacteria's been modified to the enth these past few years to do things like ward off HIV; now we have to be concerned about getting only the special yogurt that regulates Jamie Lee Curtis' bowel movements? Are you kidding me? And why do they always show those Activia commercials at dinnertime or right while I'm cooking? What is so archaic about picking up a little produce? Oh, so fruits and veggies aren't in fashion anymore? And with everything else: I'm not an organic or whole food nut, but I do buy only the things I know are labeled as humane and I'm really fed up with too much science in my food. Decades of hormones and engineering, bleh. Plz stop it. I'm fond of the plain Greek yogurt at TJ's... I just add stuff to it. Everything else has way too much sugar and way too much drama in it.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
sugar and spice

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

WRAPS- can't explain it, I don't like them, they make me hostile. It seems like everything is in a wrap nowadays. I may like all the ingredients inside the wrap, but once you wrap it in the tortilla or whatever it is Blech

BISCUITS-can't explain it, I don't like them, they make me hostile. Why do so many good breakfast sandwiches have to be in a biscuit?

PEPPERS- They are in everything now, salads, sandwiches, I don't want spicy peppers on everything.Blech
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Establishments that don't serve 'real size' portions

I define 'gourmet' as a person who enjoys food. The kind of stuff you enjoy and savor...

I hate places that serve "Big Plates" with "Tiny portions."
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
love dubh
douchebag reform school

love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenBakeSharleen View Post
YES!

And speaking of yogurt and annoying food trends, yogurt bacteria's been modified to the enth these past few years to do things like ward off HIV; now we have to be concerned about getting only the special yogurt that regulates Jamie Lee Curtis' bowel movements? Are you kidding me? And why do they always show those Activia commercials at dinnertime or right while I'm cooking? What is so archaic about picking up a little produce? Oh, so fruits and veggies aren't in fashion anymore? And with everything else: I'm not an organic or whole food nut, but I do buy only the things I know are labeled as humane and I'm really fed up with too much science in my food. Decades of hormones and engineering, bleh. Plz stop it. I'm fond of the plain Greek yogurt at TJ's... I just add stuff to it. Everything else has way too much sugar and way too much drama in it.
+1000. Ever actually read the Activia nutritional contents? NO FIBER. 1% fiber. How is that supposed to make my bowels happy? Eat some pears and clementines, which are more satisfying and better for you.

Greek yogurt is SO expensive. Fage, which is the best!, is like $5 for a tub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart
Yes, in the Brownback family we teach that boys have a god stick and girls have a shame cave.
Manny: yeah but i could be patient zero to a rabies epidemic
Manny: rabies is as close to zombification as we can get
love dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
love dubh
douchebag reform school

love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
I define 'gourmet' as a person who enjoys food. The kind of stuff you enjoy and savor...

I hate places that serve "Big Plates" with "Tiny portions."
I worked at an Au Bon Pain for a year. Eff that place. Gourmet sandwich my ass. That "chicken" in your Thai Chicken Wrap or your Arizona Chicken sandwich came out of a freezer bag and was heated in a tray of hot water. The tuna? Bag. The soups? Bag. The baguettes? Delivered pre-made and chilled, baked in the morning. Those cookies? HA! They keep them on the shelf for like three days.
Quote:
Yes, in the Brownback family we teach that boys have a god stick and girls have a shame cave.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Okay so this was more a few yrs ago and has calmed down a bit but DOES still apply... STOP PUTTING CORIANDER LEAVES (CILANTRO) ON EVERYTHING!!! It has a very strong soapy flavour and overwhelms most food, I hate it!

Another, food AND household products - Vanilla. LEAVE IT OUT!

Bad Fusions, eg. Sweet and sour sauce with pasta. WTF????
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
gunther

gunther can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post
CHILI DOES NOT BELONG ON NACHOS. EVER.
Wrong. The nachos with white chicken chili at Kelly's Tavern (multiple locations in Tidewater Virginia) are among the best I've ever eaten.
gunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunther View Post
Wrong. The nachos with white chicken chili at Kelly's Tavern (multiple locations in Tidewater Virginia) are among the best I've ever eaten.
Yeah but.

Chili should be served in a bowl with various and sundry toppings (including but not limited to: cilantro [not for ruby], cheese, onions, peppers). Nachos are a whole different food!

Still, I'm glad to see dissenting opinions in this thread.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #15
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Cupcakes! They shouldn't be the size of muffins, I'm sick of hipsters who throw cupcake parties, they are just a baked good. Why are they considered cool? And most that I've had within the last few months have been dry with too sweet diabetic coma frosting. Let it die already.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Why must chefs add truffles to everything fancy?

I am not a fan.

omg. I sound like a snob!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
Cupcakes! They shouldn't be the size of muffins, I'm sick of hipsters who throw cupcake parties, they are just a baked good. Why are they considered cool? And most that I've had within the last few months have been dry with too sweet diabetic coma frosting. Let it die already.
I love you.

Agreed 100%. Cupcakes were "cool" for a minute. Stop it now.

SVS: I would love it if more meals I ate had truffles. And you don't sound like a snob. Just store the truffles that you're given and mail them to me.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearInYourHand View Post
Dear Starbucks (and a lot of other places),

Please, please, PLEASE stop adding honeydew melon syrup to all of your green tea based drinks. The macha/green tea flavor is delicious on its own, and in Japan, they have green tea frappuccinos and the like without honeydew and they're GREAT. Why did you even think that those 2 flavors go together anyway??? Who made that combo up?

Signed,

Tear
Yes! Everywhere I go it's 'Green Tea with THIS' and 'Green Tea with THAT'. Whatever happened to just plain old Green Tea?! You know what I want in my Green Tea? Green Tea! How about that?!

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Okay, I looked at Jersey Girl's profile and had to post a photo of the Artie Lange Cupcake:
This amazing cupcake has it all...vanilla sponge cake with chocolate buttercream filling and Crumbs signature vanilla frosting topped with a layer of chocolate fondant and then finished with chocolate and vanilla sprinkles around the edge. Like Artie's uncompromising personality, the cupcake is perfect for those who can't choose between chocolate and vanilla.

See bakeries put too much stuff on it and then it's horrible! really!

Last edited by MissToodles; 01-18-2009 at 12:04 PM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ah, MissT, you reminded me!

Why ruin perfectly good desserts by putting sprinkles on them? They have no taste - they might as well be plastic. Keep them off my ice cream and away from the edges of my cake!

p.s. Anyone besides me call those suckers "jimmies"?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
p.s. Anyone besides me call those suckers "jimmies"?
Yup, got it from my dad, he always called them jimmies

You know what irritates me? Organic this, organic that, blah blah blah. I am sick of the snobs looking down on me if I don't buy the "organic" overpriced veggies, fruits, soup, canned goods, etc. I think Organic really is just a buzz word for Expensive
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #22
gunther

gunther can now change their title

I hate how Pizza Hut hypes their five-dollar medium pizzas. Yeah, when you buy three of them...
gunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #23
ktilda

ktilda has said some nice things

I love this thread! XD I have to agree with you guys about cupcakes, even though I do love a good cupcake. It isn't the food itself that offends me, but the annoying trend that goes along with it. One example that has been driving me crazy lately is POMEGRANATE. Has anyone else noticed that pomegranate flavor is freaking everywhere in the past year or so? Not only juice, but as an accent flavor in tea, as a color descriptor, flavoring/fragrance in makeup, etc etc. I'm pretty positive this is a new phenomenon, and it just strikes me as so odd. Many flavor trends are so obvious it's almost funny. Some people here mentioned green tea with flavorings, but how about green tea in general? It's everywhere, but not in its normal delicious form! I mean, I even have some (bad) green tea scented face wash. I think "exotic" kinds of foods are a big trend right now, and my personal (unsolicited) prediction is that once this trend wears itself out-- or there's no more money to be made on it-- there will be an emphasis on classic/hometown america flavors and produce. IE: apple instead of pomegranate, and I dunno... spinach instead of shiitake mushroom will be trendy. It would go along with the growing organic/DIY trend in the mainstream media. Yeah, I'm rambling now. Harhar :B
ktilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
love dubh
douchebag reform school

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles View Post
Cupcakes were cool? Where was I? In my nerdery, apparently.

Also, cupcakes with butter? No.

And WTF is UP with that cupcake you posted? It's got so much crap on it that you'd need to eat it with a knife, fork, and possibly a Komatsu digger.

ETA: Cinnamon buns with an itty bitty bit of frosting. If the bun is 3'' around, I expect at least 1.5'' of frosting in the middle-top area. Not .5''.
Quote:
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #25
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

100 calorie snack packs piss me off.

anything that says low fat on it pisses me off because it's bound to have more sugar than the regualr version. Italian salad dressing especially. Bleech.

individually sliced and wrapped cheese is weird. Tastes like wax.

And I am totally into cupcakes now. Never cared for em before, but now I'm like a cupcake fiend. I went to Crumbs for a cupcake. I've gone past it often but never went in. Kinda wish I hadn't tho cause the chocolate cupcake I had tasted like cardboard. Meanwhile all the people in line were talking about how they came from NJ and LI to get their cupcakes. I'm like WTF? Really? I make my own cupcakes now. Yum.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote