Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
I define 'gourmet' as a person who enjoys food. The kind of stuff you enjoy and savor...
Exactly. When I see a sign that says "gourmet burgers" I always think of Hannibal Lecter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post

Chili should be served in a bowl with various and sundry toppings (including but not limited to: cilantro [not for ruby], cheese, onions, peppers).
This sounds like Cincinnati-style chili. It's interesting, but -- to this Okie, anyway -- a little weird. It's always served on spaghetti, for one thing, and the chili must contain cinnamon.

My own pet peeve is chicken breasts on salads -- particularly when the menu doesn't tell you they're going to be there. A salad is vegetables. If you want to put chicken, or shrimps, or ham hocks on it, at least warn your customers.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #27
lypeaches

lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lypeaches has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK, this is only for fine dining...but I HATE the trend of arranging my food into little vertical towers. I mean, it might look kinda cool for a second, but it's usually totally impratical to eat. You have to knock the tower over in order to get a bite.

Ditto on the huge plates / small food thing.
lypeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #28
MLadyJ

MLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot picsMLadyJ does more than just post hot pics

This is a great thread!! I hate (read HATE) cupcakes..they are always dry and the frosting tastes like it has a vegetable shortening base. And I hate it when an otherwise decent restaurant puts whipped cream and a cherry on my creme brulee...what the hell is that about??? Or when a really crappy place tries to say that vanilla pudding with burnt sugar on top IS creme brulee and the waiter argues that it's not (pudding)!! UGH!!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
sugar and spice

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Ah, MissT, you reminded me!

Why ruin perfectly good desserts by putting sprinkles on them? They have no taste - they might as well be plastic. Keep them off my ice cream and away from the edges of my cake!

p.s. Anyone besides me call those suckers "jimmies"?
YES!!! I can't stand those multi-colored pieces of plastic all over a perfectly delicious baked good. Unfortunately they were all over the edges of the chocolate birthday cake my husband bought me this year Of course I didn't say anything and I ate it anyway but *sigh* sprinkles dimmed my joy.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
Ample Pie
Fattitude Problem

Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!Ample Pie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cincinnati chili isn't always served over spaghetti. That's just one way we do it. Sometimes we put it over hot dogs and add cheese. We eat it on its own topped with cheese (crackers and/or onions and/or beans etc).

It has chocolate in it too. But.....that isn't that strange when you consider how chocolate was originally prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Exactly. When I see a sign that says "gourmet burgers" I always think of Hannibal Lecter.

This sounds like Cincinnati-style chili. It's interesting, but -- to this Okie, anyway -- a little weird. It's always served on spaghetti, for one thing, and the chili must contain cinnamon.

My own pet peeve is chicken breasts on salads -- particularly when the menu doesn't tell you they're going to be there. A salad is vegetables. If you want to put chicken, or shrimps, or ham hocks on it, at least warn your customers.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post

p.s. Anyone besides me call those suckers "jimmies"?
Did you grow up on the east coast? People here, I notice, call them jimmies. But out west I grew up knowing them as sprinkles.

And I also dislike them.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #32
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I, too, dislike chocolate sprinkles and have done so ever since the mice moved into our house.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #33
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've always adored cupcakes since the days of birthday treats being brought into school. [Grew up in the generation that allowed homemade school treats and ones that weren't healthy. Poor kids today.]

However, I do hate "caramel" apples with so much crap on them that they need a chisel to eat. Look yummy. Totally impractical. Sort of like metallic, beaded 4" stilettos on a sightseeing walking trip. Hard to enjoy the good stuff if you're annoyed.

I think a good apple needs very little to make it shine, so to speak. What's wrong with simple food?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #34
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Ditto. And I'll add I hate it when you order a dinner salad and it comes with bacon bits and hardboiled egg on it. Shouldn't that be called a breakfast salad

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #35
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

one food trend I'm tired of is foam.
I don't just want the flavor and air - I want the real thing.

I'm also sick of towers of mismatched food. If I want to play with my food that's my business. It shouldn't be the chef's too.

I agree with the dissing of wraps. Where I work we run a residential facility, so we have a food service. When a group has a meeting in our conference room, we peons get informed when the meeting is over and we can come and graze for a while. If all that is left is wraps, I generally pass it by. Even if I'm hungry.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #36
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Did you grow up on the east coast? People here, I notice, call them jimmies. But out west I grew up knowing them as sprinkles.

And I also dislike them.
Bostonians, and most New Englanders know them as jimmies. Some other easterners call them jimmies too. I like them all right on ice cream but they don't do much for me on a cake. Or on ham hocks for that matter.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep

Enough with breakfast sandwiches! I know, I know, it's simply *practical* to shove all your breakfast food between two halves of a biscuit, or two pancakes, or some crap like that, but stop pretending it's an original idea whose limited range of combinations must be exhausted for great justice.

Ranch dressing does NOT make everything taste better, period. Also, this stuff that most people call "ranch" dressing...is BLECH. The only ranch I know of that tastes like anything but watered-down mayonnaise with some parsley in it is Newman's Own, and that's because Paul Newman actually makes some darn good salad dressing.

Stop serving my sandwiches in wrap form. There's only one "wrap" I don't mind--a burrito. Heck, we may as well call wrap sandwiches what they are: burritos with cold cuts and no beans.
bbwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #38
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"EVOO."

Five more syllables won't kill you. Really.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #39
bbwlibrarian
possibly revolutionary

bbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized repbbwlibrarian has super-sized rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
"EVOO."

Amen. I especially hate it when Rachel Ray insists upon using the acronym, THEN defining it. UGH. Pick one and go with it, woman!
bbwlibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #40
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Okay so this was more a few yrs ago and has calmed down a bit but DOES still apply... STOP PUTTING CORIANDER LEAVES (CILANTRO) ON EVERYTHING!!! It has a very strong soapy flavour and overwhelms most food, I hate it!
I totally agree. On the same note, what's with the oregano fetish?
Why does every DAMN sandwich shop insist on putting oregano all over everything? You tell them 5 times no oregano. You get your sub and its loaded with it. It over powers the whole sandwich. UGH!

For the people who do not like cupcakes. You all are nuts! lol I know there are a lot of crappy cupcake shops out there. The cake tastes like crap and they over compensate by making the icing super sugary. However, there are some places that do it right. When you find one, it is a little piece of heaven.

I agree with the annoying Organic label on everything. People who buy this crap piss me off. Ummm, yeah I eat all organic but I work in a big polluted city and pop my body full of every other chemical I can find. But, yeah I am so healthy because I am organic. Get over yourself!

I agree on the wraps. EWWWW. Why would someone want their cold cuts rolled up in cardboard?

Last edited by toni; 04-18-2008 at 10:46 PM.
toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #41
toni
In the know

toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!toni has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwlibrarian View Post
Amen. I especially hate it when Rachel Ray insists upon using the acronym, THEN defining it. UGH. Pick one and go with it, woman!
Ugh, I hate everything that woman says. She is super annoying and not to mention very very very fake. What's up with those big manly hands she is always flailing all over the place?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #42
Crystal

Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crystal has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Aww, I actually like Rachel Ray. I watched her Chefography the other day and she seems like a great person.

Buut, I CAN see where she would get annoying realllly fast. She's pretty loud and excited, yeah.

MY favorite is Paula Deen. That woman is so crazy, and I love it. I will go to her restaurant one of these days.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #43
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

And I also dislike them.
Over here we call them Hundreds and Thousands and they're 'orrible...complete waste of time in my book, bleugh.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #44
sugar and spice

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
Ugh, I hate everything that woman says. She is super annoying and not to mention very very very fake. What's up with those big manly hands she is always flailing all over the place?
I totally agree. I do like Rachael Ray but the way she talks drives me nuts. The one I really hate is when she calls sandwiches sammies She really is cute and spunky but her invented lingo is annoying to me too.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #45
sweet&fat
My aim is true.

sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sweet&fat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Chili... on spaghetti???
sweet&fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #46
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet&fat View Post
Chili... on spaghetti???
I must give a shout out to Cincinnati Chili. I am a Jersey girl and live in Florida now. The only reason I know what Cincinnati Chili is that a snowbird, (winter visitor) posted a recipe in the local paper and I tried it.

It is not a traditional red chili. It actually comes out brown since, as mentioned in previous posts, it contains cinnamon and chocolate. It has a rich, unique, delicious flavor. It is served traditionally on top of spagetthi and then you offer toppings. They are warm red kidney beans, chopped white onions and shredded cheddar cheese. That is then called a three way, four way or five way. They also state that the proper way to eat this chili is by cutting through the layers and scooping it all up with fork so you get it all. You don't twirl it like a traditional spaghetti and you don't mix it all in.

I don't think this is meant to be a food snob thing, only a presentation of a traditional recipe. It tastes really good and it does make a bit of difference how you eat it. If anyone wants the recipe I use, PM me.

Sorry to get off track, back to things that irritate.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #47
toni
In the know

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
I totally agree. I do like Rachael Ray but the way she talks drives me nuts. The one I really hate is when she calls sandwiches sammies She really is cute and spunky but her invented lingo is annoying to me too.
I am with you on the lingo. You know what is worse than her saying it? Other people saying it. I hate when I talk to an adult and they call a sandwich a sammy or sammich. It's not cute, its baby talk. STOP IT! LOL
Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #48
tonynyc
Slow Dance Aficionado

tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.tonynyc has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni View Post
I am with you on the lingo. You know what is worse than her saying it? Other people saying it. I hate when I talk to an adult and they call a sandwich a sammy or sammich. It's not cute, its baby talk. STOP IT! LOL
Yes, they must use word like 'Grinder' and 'Po Boy'
tonynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #49
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ok, I love cupcakes lol. SO much more convenient for serving. had them for my wedding cake and they were delicious and a huge hit.

I agree with the EVOO thing.

And I too call them jimmies.

Ok...now, my irritating things:

What's the deal with EVERY sandwich being toasted or grilled???! Now i actually have to ask Subway NOT to toast my stupid sandwich. I like my bread soft and squishy.

And why is it that we can toss anything in the fridge and/or cabinet together and if we add cream of mushroom soup to it, it's suddenly a casserole??
Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #50
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
"EVOO."

HA! I hate it that she says that too. And when she says "Sammies" instead of sandwiches. You know she just irritates me. But you know who I love on the food network - Paula Dean. I watch her show with a mixture of disgust, fascination, and hunger.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote