Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #151
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
An awful lot of people -- or perhaps a lot of awful people -- pay no attention to the flavor of the fruit they buy: they just want the biggest one. And so we get strawberries the size of apples, apples the size of grapefruit, grapefruit the size of cantaloupes, and cantaloupes the size of Hondas -- and they all taste pretty much alike, except the Hondas.
Who are these people? I pretty much never buy fruit in the grocery store because of this. I really don't need an apple the size of my head. I actually think it's just the stores and growers trying to get more money. Each apple weighs a half a pound, but you can't eat half and save it for later so consumers have no choice but to pay more.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:58 AM   #152
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

As someone whose family has raised fruit commercially for generations I can tell you that the good Dr is correct. That's why Red Delicious apples became huge, shiny, mealy things with no flavor and no snap. They were being bred for size and looks. Same thing with Bing cherries. They don't travel/ship worth a damn and don't have the lovely tang of a good cherry like a Lambert, Van or Lapin (I think Bings taste like cherry koolaide), but they are big, richly colored and showy so for years that's what people thought they wanted. Fortunately, some people are finally wising up and demanding that they receive flavor for the premium prices they're paying. Most of my family has yanked their Bings (and Rainiers which ship even worse than the Bings) and replaced them with better varieties. Varieties that not only taste and travel better, but a mix of varieties that ripen at different times so cherry season will no longer be a 2-3 week glut that floods the market and lowers the price the farmer gets. That $4 lb you pay? The farmer is lucky if they get $1 of that and out of that they have to pay all their expenses (picking, fertilizer, water, property taxes, equipment, upkeep, etc, etc etc) and hope they still have a profit with which to feed, clothe and shelter their families. Farmers are nuts if you ask me, but I guess we're all lucky that people like my sister, aunts, uncles and cousins are that kind of nuts.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote