Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #51
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidhead View Post
Lol you don't have to be sorry. Some people will write-off any art that addresses controversial issues as simply "trying to shock"

The song actually addresses the issue of freedom of speech raised by The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy. But if you'd prefer to think of it as a temper tantrum and not read into it further, then that's fine too.

To some, Marilyn Manson is raising issues of gender in a society that attempts to lump everyone into one of two groups when he wears fake breasts. To others, he is merely "trying to shock". Does it ever occur to you to look deeper?

Having all of his albums banned in WalMart after the Columbine shootings severely impacted the album sales of Manson's 'Holy Wood'.

Controversy in the music industry is not the easiest way to build a career. Bands who play it safe and don't address important issues have it much easier. Why is it that bands like Nickelback who have no real message or cultural significance are not written off as bland and uninspired, unchallenging to people, while bands like MM who do address social issues are merely "tryingt to shock"? Something to think about...

I'd be willing to be the music you like does not address current events or controversial issues at all, or does so in a very indirect and harmless way. One person's "shocking" is another's "social commentary"

You don't actually know anything about my musical tastes. And you don't have to "educate" me on music. Just because Im older doesn't mean Im into "easy listening", or not into politics or socially aware. I would bet that I have listened to, sung along with, and marched to, more political music than you've had hot dinners. So your last comment is completely off the mark apart from being utterly arrogant.

Oh and ... I was a "Goth" first time around when it WAS something different, ie. 1981, and was nothing to do with angst, vampirism or heavy metal. We've all done our little "thing".

I still stand by what I said in my first post, you DID ask for opinions, if you just wanted flattery or compliments on your girlfriend, you should have said.

There's an old saying "don't teach your granny how to suck eggs". Its one you should learn.

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 05-07-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #52
Seth Warren
May she always be True

Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Seth Warren has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
You don't actually know anything about my musical tastes. And you don't have to "educate" me on music. Just because Im older doesn't mean Im into "easy listening", or not into politics or socially aware. I would bet that I have listened to, sung along with, and marched to, more political music than you've had hot dinners. So your last comment is completely off the mark apart from being utterly arrogant.

Oh and ... I was a "Goth" first time around when it WAS something different, ie. 1981, and was nothing to do with angst, vampirism or heavy metal. We've all done our little "thing".

I still stand by what I said in my first post, you DID ask for opinions, if you just wanted flattery or compliments on your girlfriend, you should have said.

There's an old saying "don't teach your granny how to suck eggs". Its one you should learn.
This post made me so unbelievably happy...err, I mean, lessened ever so slightly the crushing misery of my horribly burdened existence. *palm out forehead staple*
Seth Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #53
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Warren View Post
This post made me so unbelievably happy...err, I mean, lessened ever so slightly the crushing misery of my horribly burdened existence. *palm out forehead staple*

hehe
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #54
Vertigo5401

Vertigo5401 has said some nice things

Let me start out by saying Industrial is actually my genre of choice. So I'm no stranger to this style of music.

I listen to bands like KMFDM, Skinny puppy, Front 242 and Ministry on a daily basis.

I don't see the song as being racist...just not very well written. It's nice to see you tackling issues and all, but try being a little more articulate next time, and not saying "fuck" or "fucking" in almost every verse. I feel it takes away from the music, when you use such limited vocabulary. It just comes off as being childish really, as has been previously stated. Dig deeper, I'm sure you can fix this easily.

As for the music, if not for the video, I'm not sure I could've sat through the entire thing. The distorted vocals forced me to try to listen to the music since I couldn't really decipher them. The music was a little too repetetive for my tastes. Could've used more interesting guitar work or maybe some sound bytes here and there. Maybe like a newscaster reporting the event or sounds of angry crowds.

Whether you want to change it or not is up to you, however.

The video isn't bad, though, but maybe you should consider adding some footage of the attacks of US and Dutch embassies (if possible). If there was any, I apologize, I didn't see it.

I can see how some would view it as being anti-muslim. Just try not to fly off the handle everytime somebody completely misinterprets your work. If you ever hit it big, it's gonna happen alot.

oh wait were we supposed to be commenting on your girlfriend?
Vertigo5401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #55
lysh
learn me something

lysh can now change their title
Thumbs down no thank you

I read this thread (well most of it) and just wanted to add that the Shepard's pie cooking in my mini oven smells very good ... and ya, that's all I have to say on that.
lysh is offline   Reply With Quote