Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Crusader

Crusader has said some nice things
Exclamation Stomach Rupture

Is it possible to binge until your stomach literally explodes? This is just a question, please nobody try it!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Tychondarova
Incredible Expanding Boy!

Tychondarova can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTychondarova can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Yes, this is completely possible. It has happened several times in recorded history. However, it requires an ENORMOUS amount of food being consumed, and is very difficult to do, I would assume.

No worries.

-Ty

In a world fraught with disturbingly malnourished stick figure women whose heads look entirely too large for their bodies, we should all thank a higher power for this wondeful site.
Tychondarova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Placebo
Swiss Kriss.

Placebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticedPlacebo never has a post go unnoticed
Default erm...

The pop rocks and soda mythbusters episode comes to mind on this one....

* cringes from the thought of abdominal pain of that magnitude *

didn't some historical figure (king? nobility?) die a horribly painful (and slow) death from this situation?
Placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

There is a very common cautionary tale passed around in the eating disorder recovery community about a very long-term bulimic who during a binge had a gastric rupture. Died. There are pictures. You don't want to see them.

So yeah, it's rare but possible.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

Aye, but keep in mind the key element of bulemia (the purge) inherently damages the lining of the stomach and throat.

I would think it actually easiest to accomplish in a person with a relatively small normal appetite, and either a heavy sedation to pain or a ravenous, drug induced hunger that caused them to miss the painfully full sensation or simply eat too fast to trigger it.

Either way, yeah, the stomach's a muscle, it can't expand indefinitely, and if you try to stretch it too far, it'll rip.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Someone, please tell me why exactly I felt compelled to click on this thread...**Shudders and runs away screaming**

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

oops..nevermind
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

A good rule of thumb is the average, healthy human stomach can hold a little over a gallon safely. You can hold more with practice, less if you've been starved for an extended period, and there are plenty of biological safeguards that will keep any but the most dedicated of people from even approaching their limits. There's an old salon.com article still available at http://www.salon.com/health/col/roac/1999/12/03/roach/ that's pretty readable, has some good, verifiable examples; and goes into detail about just this subject I think you'll find fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistful View Post
Someone, please tell me why exactly I felt compelled to click on this thread...**Shudders and runs away screaming**
Ah, ah, ah! This is a no negativity board.

[edit]
After some consideration it seems to me that to get a result visually resembling an, "explosion" you'd have to do more than just rupture the stomach. You'd have to pressurize it first, and probably with something that packs more punch than some pop rocks and soda. Maybe if you got someone to fill the stomach to capacity with soda before much of the fizz had gone out of it, maybe.
[/edit]

Last edited by Totmacher; 05-06-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
wistful

wistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions communitywistful is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totmacher View Post

Ah, ah, ah! This is a no negativity board.

Totmacher, I honestly didn't mean anything negative by what I said though I see how it could be read that way..It's just that the thought of an exploding stomach is terrifying to me and I shouldn't have clicked on this thread in the first place.You're right though..I should have kept my fears to myself.

"Look at that. Look how she moves. That's just like jell-o on springs. She must have some sort of built-in motor or something. I tell you, it's a whole different sex.
wistful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

Man, good reading Tot!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Quote:
[edit]
After some consideration it seems to me that to get a result visually resembling an, "explosion" you'd have to do more than just rupture the stomach. You'd have to pressurize it first, and probably with something that packs more punch than some pop rocks and soda. Maybe if you got someone to fill the stomach to capacity with soda before much of the fizz had gone out of it, maybe.
[/edit]
Having on two occasions chugged a two-liter bottle of (diet) soda mostly to see if I could (and also to see if it would have any noticeable effect on the apparent size of my stomach. Verdict: not really.), I can safely say it went better and hurt less when I shook out the carbonation on the second run before drinking it all. And even then, I had to take it in waves.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

I thought the pop-rocks/soda thing only worked if you happened to eat a bunch of baking soda, too?

I would think if you ate a bunch you'd just trigger your gag reflex and puke it back up, the way babies spit up when they've had too much milk. No?
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
oops..nevermind
I've decided to be negativity police for the duration of this post... I've got my eye on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten_Futures View Post
Man, good reading Tot!
I believe this is where the board's, "rep" feature comes into play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten_Futures View Post
Having on two occasions chugged a two-liter bottle of (diet) soda mostly to see if I could (and also to see if it would have any noticeable effect on the apparent size of my stomach. Verdict: not really.), I can safely say it went better and hurt less when I shook out the carbonation on the second run before drinking it all. And even then, I had to take it in waves.
Ewww, diet! Seriously though, while the carbonation would help generate more pressure I don't know if it would be enough. To get the stomach to fail catastrophically in an explosion-type scenario you'd not only need pressure, but you'd also need to introduce it quite rapidly, otherwise you would just get a tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyknicky View Post
I thought the pop-rocks/soda thing only worked if you happened to eat a bunch of baking soda, too?
*SNIP*
I don't have any numbers or references to back this up, but my experience with backing soda is that wouldn't really help that much. There just isn't enough gas in pop rocks, soda, and the amount of baking soda you'd have enough acid in to react for your to rupture anything. The only way I can see it working would be if you had already filled the stomach to capacity.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

A babies' gag reflex relies on the esophagus (Wow, I haven't used that word in, like, ever!) being short enough that the extra milk doesn't get very far before it finds it has nowhere to go. A human's esophagus is much longer, so that benefit tends not to exist if the human is in an upright position, particularly in the case of solid food. Liquid, on the other hand...

I was extremely hot and thirsty one day back in middle school. I came home and grabbed a quart of gatorade and chugged it and then went and lay down. I could feel the gatorade pooling its way back up my esophagus. Liquids don't have much substance for the esophagus to squeeze downwards, and so they can come back up more easily. Solid food? not so much. If the stomach gets full of solids, it gets kept there unless vomiting is induced.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Quote:
I don't have any numbers or references to back this up, but my experience with backing soda is that wouldn't really help that much. There just isn't enough gas in pop rocks, soda, and the amount of baking soda you'd have enough acid in to react for your to rupture anything. The only way I can see it working would be if you had already filled the stomach to capacity.
Down a number of pop rocks and introduce a highly carbonated soda (Sierra Mist, for instance) via tube feeding methods?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #16
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

yup..oops, nevermind..as in....yikes, I thought this was in the other part of the weight board...trust me...no need to watch for anything more from me, tot
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #17
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
The pop rocks and soda mythbusters episode comes to mind on this one....

* cringes from the thought of abdominal pain of that magnitude *

didn't some historical figure (king? nobility?) die a horribly painful (and slow) death from this situation?
whoa whoa....

Mythbusters did a pop rock/coke episode?!

I really hope youtube has something on this one....
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #18
Observer
Editor/Writer/Commentator

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Ever hear of Prader-Willi Syndrome? Its a compulsive eating disorder that untreated can lead to just suich an end. CSI even did an episode based on it.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
knottyknicky
Hips like Cinderella

knottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticedknottyknicky never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missblueyedeath View Post
whoa whoa....

Mythbusters did a pop rock/coke episode?!

I really hope youtube has something on this one....

Yeah, they used pigs stomachs and it was ULTRA GEEKY AWESOME!

I love those guys.
knottyknicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #20
Observer
Editor/Writer/Commentator

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

OK - just to add credibility to this discussion, here's a 2007 paper on the subject:

Gastric Rupture and Necrosis in Prader-Willi Syndrome.

Its from the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #21
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

This thread is so horrifying. And yet I look.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #22
Crusader

Crusader has said some nice things
Default Stomach Rupture

I will shamfully admit that the thought of a woman binging until her stomach explodes turns me on
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #23
Tychondarova
Incredible Expanding Boy!

Tychondarova can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTychondarova can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I will shamfully admit that the thought of a woman binging until her stomach explodes turns me on
Well, that sure killed the thread quick.

Goodnight everybody!

-Ty

In a world fraught with disturbingly malnourished stick figure women whose heads look entirely too large for their bodies, we should all thank a higher power for this wondeful site.
Tychondarova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #24
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Quote:
I will shamelessly admit I think you have some serious issues there.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Well it's good to know that claim is a ruse.