Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 06-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #51
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Old Men in Hats?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Frankly, I'm more worried by...old men in hats. Seriously.
Hold on there, little lady. Actually I have enjoyed occasionally the pleasure of being driven around by a supersized woman, and it's fun because they have to hold their arms fully extended... thus giving full vent to the elbow dimple and nice wobble in the upper-arm bat-wing. Thanks for bringing this up Rhonda and best wishes for forward thrust and the future.
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
My friend's got one...."roomy" is definitely not a word I would use to describe it. Unless you're upgrading from a mini (an old one, not a new mini cooper, which actually are pretty roomy, albeit low....but not lower than a beetle).
I'm 420lbs and 5'6", hips/ass/belly and I drive a Beetle daily, my belly doesn't touch the wheel, my hips don't touch anything, and the seatbelt fits with room to spare. I think roomy is actually an apt description. If they're different in the UK.. perhaps, but I don't believe that is the case.

Red (Lorna) was in my Bug with me, and there's plenty of room. If you put me and another 400-500lbs girl in there, it's tight for shifting and arm room, but that's certainly not a normal daily driving experience.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #53
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I'm 420lbs and 5'6", hips/ass/belly and I drive a Beetle daily, my belly doesn't touch the wheel, my hips don't touch anything, and the seatbelt fits with room to spare. I think roomy is actually an apt description. If they're different in the UK.. perhaps, but I don't believe that is the case.

Red (Lorna) was in my Bug with me, and there's plenty of room. If you put me and another 400-500lbs girl in there, it's tight for shifting and arm room, but that's certainly not a normal daily driving experience.

I know for a fact you can fit four BBWs and an Australian FA in a Bug.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #54
BBWDREAMLOVER
The belly rules the mind.

BBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:

I've heard this before how roomy the new beetles are and I know their decent on gas. I do have question though............how low to the ground are they?
BBWDREAMLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #55
Ash
Smash

Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!Ash keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

I'm about the same size as AM, and I rode with her in her Beetle (short parking lot ride that it was), and it was perfectly comfortable.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #56
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWDREAMLOVER View Post
I've heard this before how roomy the new beetles are and I know their decent on gas. I do have question though............how low to the ground are they?
The bottom of the car is rather low, but the seat isn't.... it's no lower than your average sedan/car variety.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #57
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I'm about the same size as AM, and I rode with her in her Beetle (short parking lot ride that it was), and it was perfectly comfortable.
Ah yes, I forgot there was another victim! mmwwaahhahahaha
Old 06-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #58
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Sorry, Neddy, it's true. At least, that's what we saw, and what I've seen. More often than not, when a car pulls right out in front of me quickly, no warning, it's an old man in a hat. Dunno why. Weird.

I don't consider you old, though, Ned.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #59
BeaBea
Man up or move on!

BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
That's why I think us fat people should be heard. All these car manufactuers act like they do all this research.....ok who are they designing their cars for? It can't be an average person and average person in America is overweight at least thats what the government says right. So all these fat people must be on vacation somewhere when they design cars.
I did a TV programme for the BBC which looked at the issue of big people and how our choice of cars is limited. All of the manufacturers we spoke to confirmed that they study the statistics of the people they hope to sell to very carefully indeed. No multi billion dollar manufacturer would be so dumb as to turn out the same size cars continually into a competitive market which is sold on constant updates and refinements. Luckily we live in free market economies though so we are allowed to vote with our cash and choose from the huge selections that are already available. The simple fact of economics however mean that they are NEVER going to be able to make a car which fits absolutely all of the people all of the time.

That said, even if they do manage to make a 2 wheel drive 4X4, convertible, saloon, coupe, estate, sports car SUV which is economical on petrol, diesel, hydrogen and water and is a two seater which can also hold an entire family and their luggage on moving day and accommodate all drivers from 4ft 3in to 9ft 7in and 85lbs to 1275lbs you can bet your ass it wont be in a colour that I like.

(Oh, and that was an attempt at humour again. Sorry, just cant seem to help myself )

Tracey
BeaBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #60
chocolate desire

chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!chocolate desire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Rhonda buy a bug abd then you and I can ride around town and take pics of people staring lol.
chocolate desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #61
BBWDREAMLOVER

BBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticedBBWDREAMLOVER never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaBea View Post
I did a TV programme for the BBC which looked at the issue of big people and how our choice of cars is limited. All of the manufacturers we spoke to confirmed that they study the statistics of the people they hope to sell to very carefully indeed. No multi billion dollar manufacturer would be so dumb as to turn out the same size cars continually into a competitive market which is sold on constant updates and refinements. Luckily we live in free market economies though so we are allowed to vote with our cash and choose from the huge selections that are already available. The simple fact of economics however mean that they are NEVER going to be able to make a car which fits absolutely all of the people all of the time.

That said, even if they do manage to make a 2 wheel drive 4X4, convertible, saloon, coupe, estate, sports car SUV which is economical on petrol, diesel, hydrogen and water and is a two seater which can also hold an entire family and their luggage on moving day and accommodate all drivers from 4ft 3in to 9ft 7in and 85lbs to 1275lbs you can bet your ass it wont be in a colour that I like.

(Oh, and that was an attempt at humour again. Sorry, just cant seem to help myself )

Tracey
LMAO!!!! great attempt!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #62
loggamatt

loggamatt does more than just post hot picsloggamatt does more than just post hot picsloggamatt does more than just post hot pics

I think the point is that, whatever your personal views on whether someone's belly resting against a steering wheel makes a lot of difference to driving, there are SO many things that could potentially affect someone's safety behind the wheel. If you're going to start crusades against bellies why not equally start a crusade against sat navs, or tinted rear windows, or driving in sunny weather without sunglasses? It opens a huge can of worms for potential driving safety issues as there are potentially so many of them.

Which is why there needs to be statistical evidence to backup these opinions... otherwise that's all they are, opinions. Luckily, as Tracey has pointed out, the insurance industry does a huge amount of research into driving safety issues, as do car manufacturers... so I would imagine that if there was conclusive statistical evidence that fat people are unsafe drivers we would have heard about it.

Right now, this is all just conjecture and I think it's a little extreme to brand people dangerous and uncaring of the safety of others based solely on conjecture. Just my opinion though...
loggamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #63
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I bought an '04 Chevy Malibu, V6 engine, LT Trim. Got a great deal on it. You have to check first - the adjustable pedals aren't standard, so you have to make sure the one you buy has them! Makes all the difference in the world.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #64
BBWDREAMLOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
I bought an '04 Chevy Malibu, V6 engine, LT Trim. Got a great deal on it. You have to check first - the adjustable pedals aren't standard, so you have to make sure the one you buy has them! Makes all the difference in the world.
wow I have to admit your choice surprises me.....I've never found Chevy's to be roomy. Definately going to have to check one out thank you
Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #65
D_A_Bunny
www.peaceoneday.org

D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!D_A_Bunny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I live in Charlotte County Florida. Apparently we have the "oldest" population in the country. Suffice it to say, when I am on the road, I am not so much concerned with the size of the driver as I am their age. Poor eyesight, slow reaction time from weary bodies and other age related problems cause more problems down here than any belly of mine ever could.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #66
Chimpi
into the shining sun

Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggamatt View Post
why not equally start a crusade against sat navs
What are sat navs?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #67
BBWDREAMLOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAssBunny View Post
I live in Charlotte County Florida. Apparently we have the "oldest" population in the country. Suffice it to say, when I am on the road, I am not so much concerned with the size of the driver as I am their age. Poor eyesight, slow reaction time from weary bodies and other age related problems cause more problems down here than any belly of mine ever could.
lol oh my goodness, I can just picture grandma pulling out in front of you
going 10 miles an hour...........sad thing I bet she thinks shes moving fast! lol I knew an old man who didn't even have a license and said if the cops didn't like he was 87 yrs old and they could shove it lol You just gotta love old people
Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 AM   #68
loggamatt

loggamatt does more than just post hot picsloggamatt does more than just post hot picsloggamatt does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpi View Post
What are sat navs?
Oh, sorry... is that a British thing that you guys don't say? I always try to scan for words that aren't American when talking to an American audience but there are so many differences in our languages that it always trips me up sooner or later...

Anyway, sat nav is short for satellite navigation system. I'm wondering if perhaps they're called GPS systems in America? Anyway, you know, the little screens in your car that tell you where to go... I have a lovely little Garmin one that never shouts at me no matter how many wrong turns I make
loggamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #69
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggamatt View Post
Oh, sorry... is that a British thing that you guys don't say? I always try to scan for words that aren't American when talking to an American audience but there are so many differences in our languages that it always trips me up sooner or later...

Anyway, sat nav is short for satellite navigation system. I'm wondering if perhaps they're called GPS systems in America? Anyway, you know, the little screens in your car that tell you where to go... I have a lovely little Garmin one that never shouts at me no matter how many wrong turns I make

First rule of driving: Know where you're going.

GPS systems should only be available for UPS/Fed Ex blah blah drivers or Taxi drivers. Maybe before people leave the house they should know where they're going and plan a route. Nothing scarier than someone watching a little tv in their car to give them directions and not pay attention to the road.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #70
fatchicksrockuk

fatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post
First rule of driving: Know where you're going.

GPS systems should only be available for UPS/Fed Ex blah blah drivers or Taxi drivers. Maybe before people leave the house they should know where they're going and plan a route. Nothing scarier than someone watching a little tv in their car to give them directions and not pay attention to the road.
I'd have to completely disagree with this. That may be an option in the US, where roads layouts are much simpler, and the grid system helps. Here in Europe, with a much more complicated road system, there is NO chance of being able to memorise a journey. It's much safer using a GPS than the alternative, trying to read a map whilst driving. Plus, most GPS systems will read the directions out, just like having a passenger read a map.
fatchicksrockuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #71
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oddly, in the morning my belly dosent touch the steering wheel - but by the time i leave work it does. I have to say My belly has never gotten in the way of my steering or controling a car.
Since this Thread started ive even been more aware of it and frankly my two strong arms trump the soft moveable tummy. I cant say that at this point in my life Id be willing to give up driving. I love the freeedom driving gives me. I guess when the belly is too much in the way - that will be the time i lose a bit of weight or buy a differnt car.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #72
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!

Anyone who knows me well also knows that i'm a traveling fiend..i've put more miles on my car than most salesmen. My belly touches the wheel, but almost every piece of clothing i wear is stretchy and the steering wheel slides easily around it. It in no way impairs my own personal driving. Of course, i upgraded to a Buick Lesabre a number of years ago too, because i had become too small for my previous car.

In drivers ed we learned to drive with our hands on the top of the wheel and steer from there...if the clothing you wear allows for sliding..well there's no impairment ...or at least there hasn't been any for me. The only time i had a problem was about a week ago oddly enough. I had to unexpectedly drive a friend to the Emergency Room in the middle of the night. She has a dodge ram. I felt fortunate to have climbed up into the thing by myself..adjusting the seat was a whole other problem, plus she had one of those rubber grips on the steering wheel, which did not allow for the sliding belly factor. While she was in the ER, i was able to adjust it a little bit better but still didn't feel comfortable driving..i just made the best i could of the situation and said if there was a next time we were taking my car.

I think to say that fat people aren't concerned about this is too much though Rhonda. Which, we have discussed this before privately. Lord knows i've been trying to plan ahead for my own car and have been asking questions. My belly has increasingly gotten bigger over the last year or so and it has been more of a concern. I've been trying to think of what to do if it *does* come to a point to where i don't feel like i can drive safely, especially since driving is so very important to me. I've seen and heard a lot of really good suggestions in the time i've been questioning folks about it....

1) get blocks for the pedals which allow you to move the seat back further
2) smaller steering wheel
3) as you mentioned, having the seat moved back by a professional. Dumbassbunny also mentioned this. She said that her hubby took a seat out of her car and installed a bench seat. (which could also be helped along with blocks for the pedals if you're short)
4) buying a vehicle with adjustable pedals
5) buying a different vehicle altogether

I really don't think people are unconcerned about this..i think that, as someone else mentioned, it's a matter of being a case by case situation. Some bellies are hard and some more pliable..some bellies are bigger on top, some have a crease...all different types of bellies. It's really an individual thing more than anything...and i think ALL people are concerned about their own safety, even if they may not be concerned about others.

Last edited by largenlovely; 06-08-2008 at 10:56 AM.
largenlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #73
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For me the issue isn't "just" the belly pressing into the wheel and its potential for limiting movement, which could be a problem depending on how much belly there was. But, what about the airbag? I wonder what being so close to the airbag (which in my car at least is IN the steering wheel) could do if it deployed. Now I know we have more cushion because of our fluff but still... that seems dangerous. I sit as far back as I can, because I'm so damn short and I know I'm at risk with an air bag of having my neck broken.

As Tracey said, it's about having the right size car. I wouldn't have an SUV because I'm too small, just as Burtimus wouldn't drive a Mini because he's too big. If your car is too small for you to drive safely, then it makes sense to find something better. Problem is, with the economy here in the US the way it is, many people don't have options. And going with a bigger car isn't aways an option because of the rape-tastic prices we're paying for gas.

Quote:
Worked up actually no I'm not of course you'd like everyone to believe that so you can make out like I'm some bad guy here.
I did find it rather disturbing that someone would drive that way but hey that's them. Yes I did voice how I felt about which I have the right to do....whether you agree with it I don't care. I started this thread to start a discussion....you saying I started it to chastise others is what is crappy. The thread is titled "when are you too fat to drive?" I was trying to get peoples idea of what size they think they would be too fat to drive.
In fact I don't see where I chastised anyone. I merely voiced my opinions and ideas so it really just seems to me your trying to make a mound out of a molehill.
But, but... I thought you were trying to garner responses. Sometimes they'll be different than what you want, and people will disagree. You seem really upset about that. I appreciate your passion about automotive safety (we need more of that) but it seemed to me like you were pushing it over the edge a little bit and chastising people for making different choices.

Quote:

I have a new Beetle and have had good experiences with it as well. I was, at my heaviest, 5'2"ish and 320. I had plenty of room in my Beetle. There isn't a lot of room in the back seat, though, unfortunately, especially height-wise, although Burtimus (all 6'2" of him) has sat back there.

Quote:
They get decent gas mileage, but Jettas are better because they're more aerodynamic. OTOH I'm not sure how size friendly Jettas are -- since I wanted a Bug, and only a Bug, I didn't look at them too seriously. But I have a friend who FINALLY turned in her Chevy Suburban for a Jetta (she does my little green heart proud) and while she had wanted a Beetle, she was much more impressed with the Jetta's gas mileage.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #74
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Fair enough....I didn't think about the OP's height...width wise they are ok. I'm about 330lbs but 5'9" with 32 inch (length) legs....perhaps this is where my problem lies!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #75
p2videoguy

p2videoguy has said some nice things
Default Too Fat?

I know this is a old thread. but my 2 c
I did not think of this until reciently. But I guess my wife and I are too fat to drive. Physically we both can. My wife does have rather difficult time getting behind the wheel, I do like watching. I can manage, my belly does hit the wheel.
The issues is the limit of the car, my wife is close to 550. I am up to 480. I was told the cars limit is 900. We barely fit ..
p2videoguy is offline   Reply With Quote