Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 06-21-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default "Not Recommended for Microwave" Plates

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so I apologize if it needs to be moved.

Steve and I got a beautiful dish set (including mugs and all of that good stuff) for our wedding.

I finally took some out of the package last night to use and they say "Not recommended for use in microwave ovens". Does anyone know if this is actually a health risk or will just shorten the life of the plates/mugs?? They do have a glaze of some sort. I tried to google information, but couldn't find anything that made sense.

I'm irritated that I didn't read the description better when I put them on my registry, we use the microwave all the time, and Steve uses it about 12 times a day for his tea water. If I can't use the plates in the microwave it's gonna be a total waste.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
wrestlingguy
"Bitter Old Man"

wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.wrestlingguy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Goof, I'm not sure if this is the only reason, but some ceramic & clay products that are turned into dinnerware have different elements that are metallic in them, things like iron, and aluminum. Most of the time there are just trace amounts in both the clay & the glazing.

They add stability to the bisque, and as a result, your dinnerware has a lower chance of breakage.

With that stability comes caution, as the metals can cause funny little lightning storms inside your microwave.

Also, some better dinnerware has gold or platinum banding around the plates, which, while decorative, can also do the same thing.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Thanks, Phil. It does help. So it sounds like it might be harmful to the microwave itself??
Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
fatchicksrockuk

fatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticed

There's also the possibility that the plates might have a high level of residual moisture in them. Microwave ovens work by exciting water molecules, so the plate may come out very hot, or the expansion of the water inside might break the plate. Difficult to know without trying!
fatchicksrockuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

Well, I did put one plate in the microwave last night before I saw the warning thing, and nothing bad happened. But it was just one plate for a minute and a half.....
Old 06-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Goof, can you contact the manufacturer and ask them?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingguy View Post
Goof, I'm not sure if this is the only reason, but some ceramic & clay products that are turned into dinnerware have different elements that are metallic in them, things like iron, and aluminum. Most of the time there are just trace amounts in both the clay & the glazing.

They add stability to the bisque, and as a result, your dinnerware has a lower chance of breakage.

With that stability comes caution, as the metals can cause funny little lightning storms inside your microwave.

Also, some better dinnerware has gold or platinum banding around the plates, which, while decorative, can also do the same thing.

Hope this helps.
Yep. Once tried microwaving a coffee mug with gold-looking trim -- threw some nifty sparks for a few seconds, then I shut it down. (I'd suspected it would, but wasn't sure that the trim was actually metallic.) Those plastic packets of condiments will often do the same (mylar).
I understand that grapes are similarly entertaining.
-Rusty
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Goof, can you contact the manufacturer and ask them?
Oh, what a fabulous idea! I'm going to do that!!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Grrr I hate non microwaveable dishes.

However, why doesn't Steve just use a kettle to boil the water for his cuppas??? Specially if he has several a day. I honestly thought electric kettles were a worldwide phenomenon, and was amazed to find out that lots of Americans don't have one! I hate heating water in the micro as it takes too long and it makes the mug too hot too.

I would be lost without a kettle. I use it for all hot water things, drinks, boiling water for pasta, rice, etc. Nowadays most have a concealed element in the base of the kettle and if you only boil the amount of water you need each time, it takes around one minute to boil a mugful of water. Most now are cordless, they sit on a base, and the base is 360 degree. So yes, buy a kettle and your cups will be fine!

Yay I found a list of kettles in Target for you - http://tinyurl.com/3p52tc

Kettles boil water twice as fast as a pot on the stove and three times faster than in the microwave, according to the blurb on the one there that looks like a Cona Coffee pot. I want that kettle now LOL.

Last edited by Ruby Ripples; 06-21-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
Yep. Once tried microwaving a coffee mug with gold-looking trim -- threw some nifty sparks for a few seconds, then I shut it down. (I'd suspected it would, but wasn't sure that the trim was actually metallic.) Those plastic packets of condiments will often do the same (mylar).
I understand that grapes are similarly entertaining.
-Rusty
So is watermelon
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
Grrr I hate non microwaveable dishes.

However, why doesn't Steve just use a kettle to boil the water for his cuppas??? Specially if he has several a day. I honestly thought electric kettles were a worldwide phenomenon, and was amazed to find out that lots of Americans don't have one! I hate heating water in the micro as it takes too long and it makes the mug too hot too.

I would be lost without a kettle. I use it for all hot water things, drinks, boiling water for pasta, rice, etc. Nowadays most have a concealed element in the base of the kettle and if you only boil the amount of water you need each time, it takes around one minute to boil a mugful of water. Most now are cordless, they sit on a base, and the base is 360 degree. So yes, buy a kettle and your cups will be fine!

Yay I found a list of kettles in Target for you - http://tinyurl.com/3p52tc

Kettles boil water twice as fast as a pot on the stove and three times faster than in the microwave, according to the blurb on the one there that looks like a Cona Coffee pot. I want that kettle now LOL.
Not to derail, but I have to echo this. Electric kettles are awesome! I drink so much green tea daily, and I love mine. I feel like it boils the water in a minute! It was only 15 bucks, too!