Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
RobitusinZ

RobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized repRobitusinZ has super-sized rep
Default BHMs in media, or "That funny fat guy"

When did fat guys get the "funny" adjective? It's like our stereotype now. What about fat dudes who AREN'T funny?

I only bring this up to spark some debate on how larger men are portrayed in various media. I can only think of "Shallow Hal" and "Hitch" when I try to come up with romantic comedies starring fat guys, and both of those are total goofs. Every sophomoric flick about high school or college kids has the token fat kid, who's also a complete failure at life.

And you know what seriously pissed me off? That guy from "24". Seriously? You've got CTU, which is this insane little cluster of computer bullshit, and the ONE fat IT guy is a complete dumbass? How does THAT happen? ::he asks, as he turns his chair around to look at the rest of the IT department he works at, noting about 1500 pounds of fat amongst the 6 or 7 people around him::

So yeah...not a very nice light for fat guys in media. Anyone have any input to keep the ball rolling?

"Character is higher than intellect... A great soul will be strong to live, as well as to think."
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
"Don't waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good."
"Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good."
"Give all to love; obey thy heart."

...and finally...

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
RobitusinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
JiminOR
Huh huh, it says member

JiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticed

Santa Clause is motherfuckin' jolly!
JiminOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't think that these are really "new" stereotypes, per se. It seems like the funny/dumb fat guy has been around since the days of Oliver Hardy and Fatty Arbuckle. I think that these less-than-flattering media images are just part of what has perpetuated that idea that it's "okay" to laugh at or look down upon people of size in our society.

Perhaps in the last decade or so there has been a bit of a re-tooling of the old stereotype; the funny/dumb/lovably-empathetic/self-deprecating fat guy like Chris Farley and Kevin James (both of whom were/are respectively brilliant comics) have kind of introduced a new sensitivity to the old persona. It's almost like, "Hey, at least they know they are fat and stupid, so we can laugh with them instead of at them."

I don't think that its really that much better, but at least with these new guys their size isn't always the bud of the joke. They are just funny characters who know how to laugh at themselves sometimes.... only in Hollywood, it is a slim and slippery line that separates tasteful introspective humor from unabashed exploitation.

$0.02
Old 07-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
cammy
bellyphile

cammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this board

Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason), John Belushi, Cedric the Entertainer, Drew Carey, Dom DeLuise, Chris Farley, Jason Alexander, John Candy, John Goodman, Rodney Dangerfield...on and on and on...I don't think any of these guys have given an any greater unflattering portrait of a fat guy, than other actors have given a unflattering portraits of men in general.

OK...maybe Chris Farley.
.:* .:*
cammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Bountiful1966

Bountiful1966 can now change their title

Well people who think the fat guy is supposed to be funny is as sad as people who think fat chicks are easy and desperate
Bountiful1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's a romantic flick with a fat guy that isn't played primarily for yucks-

The Tao of Steve with Donal whatshisname-Logue?

The funny fat guy goes back to at least Falstaff, if not farther, in English Language cultures.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Hallelujah for James Gandolfini.

There's nothing funny about him...but all sorts of badass hot.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Hi

I never liked Wayne Knight's parts. On "3rd Rock From The Sun" he was the weirdest person on the show and the rest of the characters were Aliens from another Planet. On Jurassic Park he played a slimy, slovenly, glutinous scientist.

William

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy View Post
Ralph Kramden (Jackie Gleason), John Belushi, Cedric the Entertainer, Drew Carey, Dom DeLuise, Chris Farley, Jason Alexander, John Candy, John Goodman, Rodney Dangerfield...on and on and on...I don't think any of these guys have given an any greater unflattering portrait of a fat guy, than other actors have given a unflattering portraits of men in general.

OK...maybe Chris Farley.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hi

I never liked Wayne Knight's parts. On "3rd Rock From The Sun" he was the weirdest person on the show and the rest of the characters were Aliens from another Planet. On Jurassic Park he played a slimy, slovenly, glutinous scientist.

William

Don't forget Newman!

Honestly, I think Wayne Knight got typecast somewhere down the line and is now constantly playing "the creepy guy." I still think he's cool, though
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Orson Wells is the only fat man I can remember in movies that earned the respect of other media. I just don't get it!

As for the fat IT man on "24", palease!! Did the creators of that ever EVER venture into a real IT department? I'm afraid NOT! There are no such things as a dumbass IT person! No common sense, no street smarts, yeah, but dumb to that point, hell no!! I should know, I am a computer person - in Software before people ask me for hardware advice. There are Prima Donnas that believe everything they've created is perfect and won't accept criticism well, but they are not dumb.
Rojodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
Smite
Here Comes Your Man

Smite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized rep

Hijacking this thread into a Newman appreciation thread!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
JiminOR
Huh huh, it says member

JiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticedJiminOR never has a post go unnoticed

Okay, the bizarro seinfeld people look damn creepy and unsettling, but cheesy Newman made up for it in the end.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
cammy
bellyphile

cammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this boardcammy carries a lot of weight on this board

I Newman! But Peterman and Puddy were also loveable doofuses and neither would qualify as a BHM.
.:* .:*
cammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
LJ Rock

LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!LJ Rock has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post

good point.... the ladies definitely love big Tony.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
JiminOR
Huh huh, it says member

You know, I don't think the size of the guy really has anything to do with it. It's more the style of the show. In the family friendly sitcoms the husband and his friends, no matter what their size, are always loveable goof offs, while the women are usually the responsible ones. Yeah, the King of Queens is a fat goof off, but Raymond is equally as goofy, and thinner.

Drama shows tend to go the other way, the men are the ones who are the problem solvers, while the women are the ones who are usually put into support roles.

It's just the way this stuff is written, a male is either gonna be a lovable loser on some sitcom, or the hero of day on some action packed drama show. True, a lot of the goofy guys tend to be fat, but maybe that just has to do with the talent pool, maybe their are just more fat actors in the comedic side than in the action side, because they had to develop their sense of humor at an early age to make friends and attract the ladies?

Who knows? Captain Kirk used to wear a girdle, and he also split his pants in the middle of a scene, but he was still the baddest mutha in the galaxy, wasn't he? He was able to score the hot green ladies no matter how chubby he got.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Then there was Perry Mason. I loved that show.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smite View Post
Hijacking this thread into a Newman appreciation thread!
OMG...that was hilarious. I was laughing so hard (while hidden behind my lab bench) that my coworkers actually ventured in to see if I was ok.

*comic stolen*
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
Smite
Here Comes Your Man

Smite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized repSmite has super-sized rep

George's arm raise is what got me.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Victim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions community

No one is going to go up to Sammo Hung and tell him he's a funny fat guy...
Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
JiminOR
Huh huh, it says member

I would. Cause he is. You've never seen Half a Loaf of Kung Fu?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #21
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Victim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Well, OK, but I guess the point I was trying to make is he is an accomplished martial artist, and capable of kicking a great deal of butt.
Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #22
cute_obese_girl
Herbivore

cute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging incute_obese_girl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlysomething View Post

Yep. I think The Sopranos was all kinds of good for fat acceptance. I love Steve Schirippa. He is a really funny guy in real life, but he wasn't the stereotypical butt of the joke in The Sopranos. Unless you count the others thinking he was weak because he didn't run around whacking everyone or cheating on his wife

"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."-Albert Pine
cute_obese_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
Smite
Here Comes Your Man

Well there was that whole breaking the chair scene in the Sopranos and the "fat bitch" segments....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
stefanie

stefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot pics

It's another kind of "invisibility" for fat men. One place it started (IMO) was with the Greeks. They would have these play "marathons," with one serious-cat tragedy after another. But in between they would have these "satyr plays," short, funny and obscene. They were supposed to take your mind off all the angst of the tragedies.

They featured peasants and satyrs. Both in Greek art were depicted as fat, hairy, ugly, squat-nosed, lecherous, and enormously well-endowed. (The Greeks thought small male parts to be more beautiful and "refined.") There was also a fair element of sexual frustration (hence the stories about Pan chasing this or that nymph but never getting her.) Never mind that mythically Pan, Silenus and other fat, lecherous demi-gods had oodles of children - so obviously they scored hits at least once in awhile. But fat and lecherous were seen humorous, not to be taken seriously.

Thanks for mentioning Falstaff, butch. Shakespeare played off this too with characters like Falstaff, especially in "The Merry Wives of Windsor," which was the situation comedy of its day. Falstaff gets tricked, abused, put in a woman's dress, stuffed in a laundry basket and dumped in the Thames, tricked again. In the final scene he is pinched cruelly by a group of children dressed as fairies, and ends up alone when everyone else pairs up.

This was no doubt all very funny back then, and probably would be considered just as funny today if it were modernized into a story about an aging, very fat man who sexually pursues a couple of "Desperate Housewives" types, who play all sorts of mean tricks on him in retaliation. Sheesh, what am I saying ... as if Hollywood needs any more ideas in this vein.

So IOW it's a pretty old meme. I for one am ready for a new one, with a dramatic fat male lead who is *not* slapstick-y, but is portrayed as a serious heroic & romantic character.

Last edited by stefanie; 07-18-2008 at 01:18 PM.
stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It's just another aspect of the emasculation of fat men. Well, they can't POSSIBLY be sexy, so at least they can be funny. It's really unsettling.

It would be great to see a romantic or action lead who was a fat man. We should make our own movies.