Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 10-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Cool Thread for the single people!

I have seen an awful lot of threads for couples, so how about a thread for the single people?

Lets share our frustrations and the best "hunting grounds" we have found.

I have had a little luck at okcupid.com (which is free) and I have gotten a lot of nice emails from http://personals.ufies.org/home.html Unfortunately I have never met anyone from that site - they all seem to get scared away before I actually meet them.

I used to think a good year was one when I had at least one date, but I did have a boyfriend for 3 months this year, so I think I have met my quota for the next 30 years or so!

I never had *this* many problems before moving to Texas, so I'm not sure if it is because I am older, because I am fatter, or because I live in Austin.

So, who else is single and looking, and where have you found to be good places to look?
moonvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

good question!
i've found it hard to meet people in Philly--I'm originally from the midwest and it just seemed easier to talk with people and move to the 'hanging out' stage (with all types of people, not just in dating situations). Here, when I hold doors for people or speak to them in elevators, they often look at me like I'm nuts. Once, a life-long east coast friend told me: Don't you get it? We don't WANT to talk to strangers on the street!!! Well, that's at odds with my suburban midwestern upbringing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a crazy, chatty hayseed, but I can't just walk down the street and pretend no one else exists. The smiles or the 'hello's have to come out some time.
So that's a long-winded way of saying: i ain't havin' much luck, which is why I can post to this thread!
Jes
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Anyone providing advice in this thread that actually helps me to meet a good man can have my firstborn.

I'm kidding.

No, I'm not.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Jack Skellington
Grim Grinning Ghosts

Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!Jack Skellington keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvine
So, who else is single and looking, and where have you found to be good places to look?
Haven't a clue. No one in my area is into the same things I am and I'm really not into looking online.

Goblins and ghoulies, from last Halloween, awaken the spirits with your tambourine. Creepies and crawlies, toads in a pond, let there be music from regions beyond.

Wizards and Witches, wherever you dwell, give us a hint by ringing a bell.
Jack Skellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a chronic work-a-holic so I never meet anybody. So far I've found the dating ritual to be a disappointment for the most part. I guess I just don't know how to play.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Skellington
Haven't a clue. No one in my area is into the same things I am and I'm really not into looking online.
I don't think I have met anyone in a way other than online in ...gosh....10 years? More?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default wellllll

I had NOOOOOO luck with eharmony, cause i don't think they include a section for not only size but lack of character in some men that cant see past size...oh did i say that out loud?? ok, that being said, i have had some luck with tango wire, they have several linked sites that include bbw hearts big gorgeous women and i don't know what else, oh wait, overweight date too...i have met a couple of nice guys from there, a couple of butts too, but hey, that is the chance you take eh? i also didn't have any luck with yahoo dating sites, because again, no place to write that i am fat, and since that is a huge problem to some men, it is an issue.

so, try tango wire, i have had some good luck with them, let us know how ya do?!
SocialbFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialbFly
so, try tango wire, i have had some good luck with them, let us know how ya do?!

I actually have a Tango Wire affiliate (http://bbwpersonalads.net/) and when I initially signed up ...3 years ago? I did get a few dates through them. I have not had anyone interested in me there (that I would be interested in) in well over a year though.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie
Anyone providing advice in this thread that actually helps me to meet a good man can have my firstborn.

I'm kidding.

No, I'm not.

I SO agree
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Moonchild
Seniory McMember

Moonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot picsMoonchild does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Hmm... If a dude suggests himself, and it turns out to actually be good advice, and you marry and have a kid, then you really get outta that one.

Personally, I've been single my entire life. Been on, uh... (counts on fingers... carry the six) three dates in my life, which, as you can conclude, didn't work out.

How can this be? you ask. Well, I haven't quite narrowed it down yet, but I suspect the following are at work:

- My inability to respond outwardly to emotion
- My near inablility to be attracted to anyone who isn't already my friend, and thus fail to respond for fear of breaking down what already exists
- My badass metalhead look is just way too much for anyone to handle

Although I seriously do suspect the last point plays a small part, I'm unwilling to change that at present, so I'll grit my teeth and take it on the chin if it comes to it.

Only within the past couple months has my singleness been really beating down on me for the first time. But I suppose it's a passing phase.
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
The Fat Man
Fat Don Draper

The Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticedThe Fat Man never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:

I'm kidding.

No, I'm not.

Flip "nice lady" in there in place of "good man" and I'll second that motion. lol
Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #12
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Obesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging in
Talking Hope Springeth Eternal....pretty mostly, kinda'....

But the singleosity does get pretty dang annoying after awhile! I broke up with my wife just about seven years ago and now that I am pretty much in the position of being the "Burl Ives" of Industrial music...i.e. 55, fat and workaholic, I am not terribly optimistic. I do get out when we do shows (My ex-wife and I still perform music and performance artuch around Frisco), but everyone I see is probably 30 years younger then me...yikes. Hope springs eternal though....my wittiness does net me at least a conversation here and there and about!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
ClashCityRocker
Outer Space Potato Man

ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ClashCityRocker has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default single

hmm, a thread for us single folks...not bad. i guess that's all there is to be said on the matter...single...and looking, i suppose.

aaorn£
ClashCityRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
Single26Female

Single26Female has said some nice things

I don't think I even want to touch this topic.

Tonight is more difficult than most; I'm not sure why...

I'm ok with being single most of the time...but tonight, it hurts a little bit.

Hope you are all well.
Single26Female is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
Single26Female

Single26Female has said some nice things

Quote:

I'm kidding.

No, I'm not.

I just have to say that I love your signature. Office Space is an AWESOME movie!
Single26Female is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #16
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild
Hmm... If a dude suggests himself, and it turns out to actually be good advice, and you marry and have a kid, then you really get outta that one.
Nahh.... he'll be putty in my hands by then.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:34 AM   #17
Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW
I SO agree
Sounds like we need to start a support group.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #18
Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Man
Flip "nice lady" in there in place of "good man" and I'll second that motion. lol
But I don't want to marry a nice lady!!!

Oh. You meant for you.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #19
Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single26Female
I don't think I even want to touch this topic.

Tonight is more difficult than most; I'm not sure why...

I'm ok with being single most of the time...but tonight, it hurts a little bit.

Hope you are all well.
I know exactly what you mean.... sometimes it just sneaks up on you. Hope you're feeling better today.

(And thanks re. my sig - one of my favorite movies. )
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #20
Trisha
Lard of the Rings

Trisha can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTrisha can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm not single anymore...can I play anyway?

Believe me when I say that I have had personal ads on damn near all the sites I could find...here's a list of a few I've tried...

Dimensions Matching System...met a few nice guys there, never in real life since they lived way far away. But, I got a couple good chat buddies from it. And it's FREE!!

www.generous.net Specifically for fat folks...again, a few hits, but none IRL. It's free!

www.sexyads.net This is definately an 'adult' site, with most of the people looking for sexual encounters over long term relationships. But, there are people there looking for true love, if you only have the patience to weed out the horndogs. Very size friendly, even have a Lovin' Large chatroom I still hang out in from time to time. I've met a couple of guys IRL and had positive experiences. Basic membership is free, you can only send messages if someone sends you one first if you are just a basic member. You have the chance to send tickles to folks who interest you, and if they're a VIP they can write to you.

www.lindasbigconnections.com Totally free personals. This site is based in the Chicago area but they get ads from all over. Linda also holds BBW dances every month. Good site, nice message board.

www.bbwdatefinder.com I tried it but wasn't too thrilled with it. Free to have an ad, but really no way to contact someone unless they contact you first. Only paying members can email.

www.okcupid.com Someone already mentioned this place, I tried it but had no luck. Free, I think.

And of course, Yahoo! Personals....where I met my sweetie....not the best site and as mentioned, not too size-friendly, but the headline of my ad was "Fat Girls Are Harder To Kidnap" so I'm hoping it was obvious I'm a big girl! Free to have an ad, have to subscribe to send messages, but I took a chance and paid for a month and that's when I met my boyfriend. Yahoo! works sometimes!!

Hope all this information helps someone....online dating can be nuts but sometimes it works!

Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #21
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Hi Trisha,

Glad to hear things worked out for you. I've tried most of those places. No desire to post anything at sexyads (I have enough people bug me for sex as it is without encouraging even one more, and sites like that just repel me). It is great that Linda has free personal ads, but most of the people are in the northeast, and I'm in Texas. We used to have a lady who did free personal ads for people in Texas, but there weren't many male ones, and she closed up shop a couple of years ago.

I've been looking for more than 10 years now, and I'm getting pretty close to the point where I'm resigning myself to being alone (NOT lonely) for the rest of my life. I'm going to be 39 tomorrow, and I'm just weary of looking. Everything else in my life is great, so no real complaints.

I'm not whining, so I hope no one takes it that way. It just is what it is.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #22
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

OK I'm not single but I do have some advice for the folks in the NY/NJ area. I met hubby when we both lived in NJ at a dance for big folk. I also was involved in the NJ - South Jersey and Philly NAAFA groups. There are lots of groups for dances in the NY/NJ/PA area. Met lots of nice people at the NAAFA events and they know all the social events in their areas.

For the person who lives in Philly - I used to love to go to South Street on the weekends. I met the most interesting (and sometimes strange but always fun) people there.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #23
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Hmmmmm

Quote:
Sounds like we need to start a support group.
LOL I think so too. We've got at least 2 members, do we need 3 to consider it a group?
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #24
ATrueFA

ATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized rep

I'm now 51 and still single, never married and not by choice. Its just been so hard for me to meet bbws that are looking for real relationships. I met my last girlfriend in the Dimensions chat room and the one before that in the Dimensions printed magazine and it had been several years between having girlfriends. At one time I'd had ads in more than a dozen online bbw personals sites and I wasted money for 6 months at that super rippoff eharmony. They have no way to specify that you prefer larger ladies and they always try and match women with guys at least 2" taller and being that I am short that doesn't leave to many matches for me. Never got to meet even 1 lady from eharmony in 6 months. I live in a small town and there are few oppertunities to meet singles here. Everytime I find someone online to chat with they always live thousands of miles away and are not interested in anything long distance and after the experiences I've had with LDRs I am not keen on one again either. I am in a position that would make it hard for me to move for someone so I also do not expect someone to want to move for me either. It seems I am going to end up being "the eccentric old man with cats".

Dave
ATrueFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #25
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW
LOL I think so too. We've got at least 2 members, do we need 3 to consider it a group?
It seems to me - there are a lot of single people here and a group would be a really good idea. Why not set up a regular chat time or something. You never know when lightening will hit.

Good luck to you all. I knew right before I met hubby I was gonna be alone for the rest of my life. LOL - that'll teach me. I was 31 he was 39. 13 years later he is still the love of my life and worth waiting for.

Sandie Z
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote