Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
anybodys

anybodys can now change their title
Default watchmen

(warning: possible minor spoilers if you haven't read it)

so, who's seen the watchmen trailer? for anybody who's read the graphic novel, you know that nite owl, dan dreiberg, is rather portly (especially as superheros go). in the trailer, however, he looks-- as my boyfriend irritatedly put it-- "fuckin' ripped." when i was reading watchmen (which was recently, after i had seen the trailer for the movie) i was thinking, they'll never let him be chubby in the movie. and lo and behold, when i watched the trailer again, he's not. this makes me sad. anybody else have thoughts about it?

edit: i just read in the wikipedia article that patrick wilson gained weight for the part.

and furthermore (and this relates to this week's Men in Full article), if he's fat, will they have him be nude in the sex scenes as he is in the book?

Last edited by anybodys; 07-27-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: new information gained
anybodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodys View Post
(warning: possible minor spoilers if you haven't read it)

so, who's seen the watchmen trailer? for anybody who's read the graphic novel, you know that nite owl, dan dreiberg, is rather portly (especially as superheros go). in the trailer, however, he looks-- as my boyfriend irritatedly put it-- "fuckin' ripped." when i was reading watchmen (which was recently, after i had seen the trailer for the movie) i was thinking, they'll never let him be chubby in the movie. and lo and behold, when i watched the trailer again, he's not. this makes me sad. anybody else have thoughts about it?

edit: i just read in the wikipedia article that patrick wilson gained weight for the part.

and furthermore (and this relates to this week's Men in Full article), if he's fat, will they have him be nude in the sex scenes as he is in the book?
Mostof the 'heros' in Watchmen are well past thier prime.. but the graphic novel uses a lot of flashbacks. If the film follows the same narrative structure, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 'ripped' Nite Owl somewhere along the way.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
stefanie

stefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot picsstefanie does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodys View Post

Hi, Stef here from men_in_full. (Thanks for reading, BTW!) I saw that trailer this weekend too. It looked like a thumbs-up movie, just from the trailer - but now I am disappointed, because I *hate* it when producers change a character's body from fat to thinner like that.

My somewhat cynical guess is that Patrick Wilson's character will *not* be fat in the movie. Patrick Wilson may have gained some weight, but he's not a "big" man in the sense of being massive or large-bodied (as observed in his nude scene in "Little Children.") So of *course* he will get a sex scene or two - which a fat actor likely would not get.
stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I was thinking about this, but remember -- so much of the story is flashbacks. It could be that the shots in the trailer are largely from the flashback scenes, and we didn't get to see the current Nite Owl and Silk Spectre (the Laurie incarnation) yet.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Specter

Specter can now change their title

NERDS!

HAHAHAHA! Naw, just playin! I havent read the Graphic Novel yet, Ill probably dl the ebook later on today. I loved the trailer, it looked and sounded insane, does anybody by the way know what Billy Corigan/ Smashing Pumpkins song that is in the trailer by the way? Id appreciate it immensely! Godspeed.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
olwen
Disco Bear

olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!olwen keeps pushing the rep limit!

I haven't seen the trailer. I'm refraining from any spoilers. I read the comic ages ago and when I heard there was going to be a movie, I was kinda skeptical. That comic was written with the medium in mind and uses it to it's full potential. I really do wonder how they're going to translate this to film in a way that doesn't ruin or change the storyline. One of the things I'm wondering about is Rorsach's mask since it changes in every panel. Also the story is really rather dark, but I'm quessing that because of the success of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight that they won't really remove those dark elements too much.

I doubt the producers will allow any of the actors to be fat since as has already been stated, so much of the story is in flashbacks....I just really doubt they'd be able to pull this one off well.
olwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

They shouldn't make the movie. It's perfect in comic form, and shoveling it into a "modern day" superhero movie to make the quick buck is a shitty move.
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
pdgujer148
Breakfast Messiah

pdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitypdgujer148 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

The trailer looks great. It captured a number of iconic images from comic.

I'm still skeptical, the comic is just too dense and character driven to be done justice.

I'm hoping that the ultimate intent is to make a great cinematic experience while maintaining the essence of the original. Peter Jackson and crew did a pretty good job of it with the Lord of the Rings. Sure major stuff was cut out, and it didn't really feel like Tolkien (in fact, I'll bet you $5 that Tolkien would have said that Jackson's vision was grotesque) , but it was still a great cinematic experience.

About the worst thing they could do with the film is try to fit in every key moment. Certain stuff, however cool, would need to be red lined. For instance. the news vendor and the kid.

I'm just hoping they red line the right stuff. I also hope that they have the balls to retain Moore's pessimism and refrain from focusing on the action.
pdgujer148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Also, guys, remember that Dan Dreiberg in the comic just has a little gut. He's *barely* chubby. It's not as though in the comic he's a BHM and they're ruining it in the movie.