Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

That1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot pics
Default Cooking without a Kitchen

This is started from a post Fascinita made elsewhere saying she had to eat fast food due to no kitchen. Having been in that situation, and knowing others have (college students, people in efficiency apartments or for random other places without kitchens, or even just without a lot of money) I mentioned you can eat healthy without a kitchen... so here are some examples.
(PLEASE post if you have examples of your own!)

For at least now, I'm assuming there is NO kitchen- meaning, no fridge, no microwave, no stove. However, it does assume you have a place to wash dishes- bathroom sink, bathtub, shower- and also a plug with a table or counter nearby. Yes, some of this is somewhat non traditional thinking- but I like thinking outside the box

First things first- you need something to cook with- get a coffee pot (you want the kind that you can pour the water in now, but it won't start coming out until you turn it on- you can also splurge for one with a timer if you want- also needs to have a wide top, not the pear shaped ones like most BUNN's are). Coffee pots limit what you can cook, but 99% of dorms allow them, while they don't allow other cooking items. You'll also want a bowl, fork, spoon, knife (sharp one to cut things), can opener, plate and probably a cup (who knows, you may want a cup of coffee one day!) All of this- you can buy on the cheap. Hit the dollar store if you want, I'd say under 25.00 and you can get cooking!

I do suggest you splurge and get the following (don't get whatever if you don't like it, like if you don't like soy sauce, don't get it): Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Spray butter (look to be sure it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge), cheese in a can, chili powder, other various spices, small bag/box of sugar. If you are really in the hole for money, get a few extra packages of ketchup/salt/pepper when you go to a fast food place.

Soooo what can you cook? Nearly anything but meat- unless it's canned (tuna, ham, spam) How? Well- your coffee pot is going to work like a slow cooker/ crock pot in some ways.

First up- Ramen Noodles (Time- 1.5-2.5 hours)
If you like yours with the water drained- use about 3/4 of a pot of water. If you like it WITH the water in it, probably use about 1/3 to 1/2 a pot.

Pour your water in the back, but do not turn it on.
Put the noodles in the carafe whole, or crunch them up (however you like them). Leave the plastic lid on the carafe (holds in your steam longer) and turn it on to cook!

These normally take about 1.5-2 hours to get good and soft, after about 2.5 hours they start to become mush. You can go out and run errands, go to a class- whatever for at least an hour to an hour before checking them to see if they are done. Once done, drain them if you want, or just add your seasoning packet. Put it in a bowl, and eat!

(More on the way soon!)

Today will always be remembered as the day I was asked, "So, do fat women wear pants?" And I was standing in front of them wearing blue jeans. :doh:
That1BigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

That1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot picsThat1BigGirl does more than just post hot pics

Cheesy Noodles with Tuna (2 - 2.5 hours, need to be present last 1/2 hour)

This is an new take on Tuna and mac and cheese or tuna casserole kinda. (1-3 servings)
Items: 1 package Ramen noodles, 1 can tuna or 1 easy open, pre drained package of tuna, Cheese in a can

Cook Ramen (in previous post) for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
Throw out seasoning package (or just leave it for something else, you do NOT need it here)
Drain, but leave in pot (don't turn the coffee pot off yet)
Add drained tuna
Add about 3-5 tablespoons cheese (More if you like cheese)
Mix well, add more cheese if it's not coated pretty well
Put carafe back on burner for about 15-30 minutes, stirring 1-3 times and checking for warmth throughout.

Once warm enough, serve it!

Today will always be remembered as the day I was asked, "So, do fat women wear pants?" And I was standing in front of them wearing blue jeans. :doh:
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

Noodles with tomatoes

This is a staple in all the places I've been in the south- but it's served different ways in different places. (Some with sugar, some with salt- if it's with sugar, it's often served as a dessert dish, while if it's with salt it is served as a veggie dish.) You can drain the tomatoes, or use the whole can with the water- for this, I normally drain, but if I'm making a large pot with regular noodles, I normally want a little sauce so I use the whole can

Items needed: 1 Package Ramen, 1 small can diced tomatoes, salt or sugar to taste (1-2 servings) (1.5- 2 hours)

Cook Ramen for about 1 to 1.5 hours.
Do whatever you want with the seasoning package, you don't need it.
Drain ramen, leave in pot
Drain tomatoes and add to ramen
Mix
Put back on burner for about 10-15 minutes
Add either salt (and/or pepper) OR sugar to taste.
Serve!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

I forgot to say earlier- MOST of the time with coffee pot cooking, I use ramen instead of pasta or rice- mainly because you don't have to have boiling water, just pretty hot water. Anytime I've used pasta, it's ended up more like mush before it's even fully cooked than with ramen. It does have a different taste, but when you have little else to use- you just learn to deal

Old 08-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

When I was in college I used to make Kraft mac and cheese in an instant hot water pot (the kind with coil). Instant mashed potatoes mixed with cheese, too. It worked, but it was a pain to clean out. In retrospect, I think I'm lucky I didn't burn the place down.

Interesting idea for a thread, That. Wonder if you could make something like vegetable soup in a coffee maker too. I guess the veggies might be on the crispy side.

Last edited by rainyday; 08-09-2008 at 02:19 PM.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

Rainy- my college didn't allow hot pots of any kind (or hot plates/skillets or crock pots) so this is how I learned to cook in a coffee pot (they did have a kitchen downstairs, but it was such a pain b/c one of the clubs was always in it).

YES! You can do soups and use fresh veggies- I'm working on typing up more stuff as I have time. (I can also do a thread on microwave only cooking... I've lived in places... well. Yeah. I've had to adapt before haha!)

Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
When I was in college I used to make Kraft mac and cheese in an instant hot water pot (the kind with coil). Instant mashed potatoes mixed with cheese, too. It worked, but it was a pain to clean out. In retrospect, I think I'm lucky I didn't burn the place down.

Interesting idea for a thread, That. Wonder if you could make something like vegetable soup in a coffee maker too. I guess the veggies might be on the crispy side.
When I was in college, I cooked Kraft Mac n cheese in my hot pot all the time, I also warmed soup in it, made spaghetti, ramen, all sorts of things that needed to be boiled or warmed up worked well. Another good item to have is a George Foreman grill, you can make all sorts of different meats and panini in them. I use my George all the time! Just made pork chops in it tonight.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaLois View Post
When I was in college, I cooked Kraft Mac n cheese in my hot pot all the time, I also warmed soup in it, made spaghetti, ramen, all sorts of things that needed to be boiled or warmed up worked well. Another good item to have is a George Foreman grill, you can make all sorts of different meats and panini in them. I use my George all the time! Just made pork chops in it tonight.
I second the George Foreman Grill! You can make so many things on it! Plus, now they have the one with interchangeable plates so you can even make things like waffles!

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
goofy girl
took a sharp left turn

goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!goofy girl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yep, the Foreman is GREAT!! And you can make a million things in a crock pot, too.

When I had my first apartment I did allot of my cooking in the toaster oven. It was mostly fish sticks and tater tots LOL, but you can do all kinds of stuff with them.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
PamelaLois
ILL-INI

PamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions communityPamelaLois is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy girl View Post
Yep, the Foreman is GREAT!! And you can make a million things in a crock pot, too.

When I had my first apartment I did allot of my cooking in the toaster oven. It was mostly fish sticks and tater tots LOL, but you can do all kinds of stuff with them.
Crock Pot = Second behind the George for non-kitchen cookery. You can make ANYTHING in it
Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default And the next level is...

...something for the camping enthusiasts.
I've considered taking up sailing. Something small (17-26') on the order of a Com-Pac Sun Cat or Catalina 22 -- neither of which has built-in cooking equipment.
It's a few years off for me, and there's a lot out there online about provisioning for trips of overnight or longer, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding cooking in really austere conditions.

And, in the shorter term, camp cooking while traveling by motorcycle.
Just wanted to push the discussion envelope a bit.

-Rusty
(Yeah, yeah, MREs... I know.)
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

I don't know anything about boat cooking, but for camp cooking off a motorcycle I would probably go with a small hibachi and a small no-stick wok. IMO woks are the most versatile cooking pans around and the no stick means really easy clean up. The hibachi gives you options for grilling or using a cooking pan and you can scavenge wood for fuel when you don't have any charcoal. I don't think I would want to deal with the potential mess of a gasoline or kerosene stove that had to be packed every night, but I might get a little propane burner camp stove for times when I didn't feel like lighting the hibachi.

If I was going to use wood for my stove's heat source, I might consider a set-up where I could add a small battery powered fan as a blower. This can produce a hot cooking flame fairly quickly and should save time and fuel. I haven't tried this sort of thing yet myself, but I have seen descriptions of such things on the web, usually aimed at usage in areas where people still cook a lot using wood fires, look around for it if it interests you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
...something for the camping enthusiasts.
I've considered taking up sailing. Something small (17-26') on the order of a Com-Pac Sun Cat or Catalina 22 -- neither of which has built-in cooking equipment.
It's a few years off for me, and there's a lot out there online about provisioning for trips of overnight or longer, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding cooking in really austere conditions.

And, in the shorter term, camp cooking while traveling by motorcycle.
Just wanted to push the discussion envelope a bit.

-Rusty
(Yeah, yeah, MREs... I know.)
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

There are so many options! And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's ever struggled through trying to figure out a way to be creative and actually eat real food when you have no stove/microwave/fridge!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

Coffee Pot Veggie Soup (Prep is about 20 minutes, cooking is all day *6-9 hours*)
** When I made this, I didn't know about those neat packages of pre cooked meat you can get in the deli meat area- you could get one of those and toss in to heat about 45 mins before you eat and make it chicken/steak soup! You can buy all these veggies the night or even a few days ahead and they will store fine, if you get the meat and have no cold place you'd probably get it that day sometime. (Onions, potatoes, carrots will store weeks in a dark, dry place)

Items (if there is something you don't like, don't use it):
Onion (small)
Squash or zucchini (small)
Okra (3-4 med sized ones)
Tomato (medium to large) (canned or fresh, kinda your choice, but if you use a can, use the whole thing)
Carrot (small to med)
Potato (medium)
** Teaspoon of beef bouillon (or chicken)- you can use a cube if you have cubes or leave it out and just use spices
Dash of pepper and salt if wanted, or wait until done to add to taste

Put about 3/4 carafe of water in the coffee maker. Chop veggies up, put everything in the pot and turn it on. Go to work or whatever. After about 6 to 7 hours, stir and taste- you may want to add a little more water, a little more spices or the pre cooked meat if it seems nearly done.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Victim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Don't forget about two forks and a cut up extension cord...
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #16
That1BigGirl
Bella Nom Noms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim View Post
Don't forget about two forks and a cut up extension cord...
Heck, you can do it with two forks and paper clips.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Victim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Those little immersion heaters you can stick in a coffee cup and heat the water to boiling are also useful.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #18
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Has toaster oven or hot plate been mentioned yet?

actually a toaster oven can be used to warm so many things....even canned food in a tin pie plate...or tv dinners or frozen pizzas (buy them on the way home?)
Don't forget toast...... or toasted cheese sandwiches.... or little mini pizzas made from english muffins or bagels.......

Or ....just having a small microwave to heat up stuff would be an easy enough thing.....and you can make popcorn, little frozen pizzas, soups and hot drinks in it....even instant mashed potatoes or baked potatoes.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 08-11-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Don't forget wrapping stuff in foil and stuffing it next to your exhaust manifold. Hour plus drives are great for baked potatoes.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Here's a really easy and simple to make solar cooker (would be great for a camper/traveler, I think!).
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #21
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Repped out this afternoon

Carl1H, CrankySpice,
Good info, much appreciated.

(that solar cooker may not be entirely practical for motorcycling (or in a dorm room), but might be quite useful on a boat!)
-Rusty
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #22
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
Repped out this afternoon

Carl1H, CrankySpice,
Good info, much appreciated.

(that solar cooker may not be entirely practical for motorcycling (or in a dorm room), but might be quite useful on a boat!)
-Rusty
Wha???? You don't care about my microwave/toaster oven ideas?

Oh I am soooooooooooooo taking this all personally.........

*stomps out of thread in a hissy fit*

*snatches hot potato off manifold and throws it right in Rusty's face*

*laughs with glee as he clutches his burnt eyeball*

HOW YOU LIKE THEM TATERS, RUSTY?

Yes I just had another moment..........

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #23
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Wha???? You don't care about my microwave/toaster oven ideas?

Oh I am soooooooooooooo taking this all personally.........

*stomps out of thread in a hissy fit*

*snatches hot potato off manifold and throws it right in Rusty's face*

*laughs with glee as he clutches his burnt eyeball*

HOW YOU LIKE THEM TATERS, RUSTY?

Yes I just had another moment..........
Oh, nothing wrong with toaster ovens -- it's just that they don't work really well off a sailboat's battery bank, and are a bit awkward to stuff into a motorcycle's saddlebags.

And could you please stop by your local motorcyle place and get me a replacement clear face shield for my HJC AC-11 helmet? The foil on the potato put a bit of a scratch in it. Kthxbai.

-Rusty
(ATGATT)

Last edited by CleverBomb; 08-16-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: All The Gear, All The Time
Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Don't even try it Rusty....................... I SAW YOU....clutching your eye.....

Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #25
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Don't even try it Rusty....................... I SAW YOU....clutching your eye.....
Windex wipes.
Keep 'em in the glovebox to clean bugstrikes off the helmet.
First time I've needed to mop up spud residue, but hey.
And, yes, normally I take the helmet off first before trying to clean it, but I ain't usually faced with tater-flingin' women, neither -- no matter how cute they look when they're angry! (It really does bring out the color in your eyes )

-Rusty
Look. If you can be lobbing hypothetical baked potatoes, I can be posting messages while in full riding gear. ATGATT=All The Gear, All The Time.

Last edited by CleverBomb; 08-17-2008 at 05:18 AM.