Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Asian cooking

These past 6 months or so, I've really been into Asian cooking. Anyone else like cooking Asian? I've mostly done Thai & Indian, although a little bit of Chinese/American has snuck in (I made homemade Lo Mein tonight). Every week, I make at least one Thai curry & one Indian curry; at least once a week, Pad Thai. This week I'm going to try Chicken Tikka Masala, which I've never had but sounds fantastic! The hardest part is finding the ingredients, but the actual cooking is pretty easy. Anyone up for a recipe exchange?
CrankySpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

I do a bit, I like to pick up various pastes and such at the Asian shops up in Spokane. Last trip up I picked up shrimp chips and packages of soy bean paste. I'm looking to do Asian style breakfast soups to see if I can actually manage to keep down breakfast for a change (a problem I've had since a little girl that I shared with my dad. Made breakfasts a running battle with my mom since she is a firm believe in breakfast as the most important meal of the day).

I do have to be careful with some of the Thai stuff, hubby can't tolerate really spicy stuff, so I have to go easy on the Tom Ka Guy and Tom Yum pastes when I use them.

I am hoping to grow Asian veggies in my greenhouse once I get it up and running so I can at least have some of the cabbages and such handy. Both hubby and I LOVE baby boc choi with ginger and garlic. YUM!
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CrankySpice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Jean, growing your own veggies would be awesome, along with bok choy you could do japanese eggplant, and I wonder if you can grow your own lemongrass? I don't know what growing conditions it needs.

One of my children is very sensitive to spicy foods, so I have to be careful if cooking for them. My older son loves spicy food, however, and he's pretty adventurous food-wise, but he doesn't care for Indian (really, English) curry. He loves Pad Thai, it's his most requested dinner.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
JeanC
Fat chick with a gun

JeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this boardJeanC carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
Jean, growing your own veggies would be awesome, along with bok choy you could do japanese eggplant, and I wonder if you can grow your own lemongrass? I don't know what growing conditions it needs.

One of my children is very sensitive to spicy foods, so I have to be careful if cooking for them. My older son loves spicy food, however, and he's pretty adventurous food-wise, but he doesn't care for Indian (really, English) curry. He loves Pad Thai, it's his most requested dinner.
I'll have to see about the lemon grass. I am on a container gardening group and there was a thread on Asian veggies in containers. Have to go back and see if there was anything on lemon grass, if not I'll see what I can dig up.

Hubby grew up on a Canadian-English bland diet and even the Chinese he ate was not very spicy. The closest he got to spicy was a Canadian version of California Tex-Mex :P I've been slowly building up his taste buds and getting him to try other cuisines to show him that not all spicy is burn your taste buds off stuff. Unfortunately his bout of pancreatitis last years means I've had to scale back quite a bit, but I can still come up with taste sensations he can handle and I like. The older I get, the spicier I like my foods.
JeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
ThatFatGirl
Why am I still here?

ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.ThatFatGirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I highly recommend this recipe for Chicken Colombo I posted a while back. I'm making something similar tonight only stir frying in sesame oil, using some red curry paste, adding a bit of ginger and a tablespoon of peanut butter. I don't have cilantro. Wish I did.

I'd love to see more recipes myself, especially Indian if anyone has some to share.

Fleeting Fancies
ThatFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Have you tried making sweets?

Almond Cream Fudge (Badaam Barfi - India)

Ghee is clarified yak butter, available at stores specializing in Indian foods. Clarified butter may be substituted. The silver leaf is known as vark in India. It is made by heating and beating pure silver until it resembles cotton candy. The mass is then compressed into sheets. It is also available at stores specializing in Indian foods.

3 cups almonds, blanched and peeled
2 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ghee
2 sheets edible silver leaf (optional)

Put almonds in the container of an electric blender or food processor, and grind them to a fine powder. Set the ground almonds aside until needed. Bring cream to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Cook over high heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened to the consistency of a cream soup, stirring constantly to prevent burning.

Reduce the heat to medium; add the sugar, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until all of the sugar has dissolved.

Add the ground almonds and the ghee. Stir vigorously and constantly as the mixture begins to lump up and stick to the spoon. Release the fudge from the spoon by scraping it off with a knife or teaspoon. Continue cooking the mixture for 3 minutes.

Pour fudge onto the center of a greased square of wax paper or an 8-inch square pan. Working deftly and quickly, flatten and spread it to an even thickness within the square. If you are using edible silver leaf, place it over the fudge, and gently press it to make it adhere. While the fudge is still warm, cut it into neat diamond-shape pieces measuring 1 x 2 inches, using a sharp knife dipped in cold water.

This fudge keeps for three weeks if it is stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature and for several months in the refrigerator.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

TRUST ME THESE ARE GOOD!! The above one as well!!

Cashew Nut Fudge (Kajoo Barfi — India)

2 cups raw cashews (1/2 pound)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons rose water
3 sheets edible silver leaf (optional)

Place cashews in a bowl, cover them with boiling water, and soak them for 1 hour. Drain the nuts, put them in an electric blender or food processor, and reduce them to a fine paste (adding some milk or water if the paste begins to clog).

Heat a well-seasoned frying pan (at least 9 inches in diameter) over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the nut paste and sugar. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook the mixture for about 20 minutes, stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the pan frequently. When the fudge is thick and sticky, stir in the butter.

Pour the fudge into a buttered 9-inch square pan. Spread the fudge evenly by patting it gently with a spatula. When cool, brush the top of the fudge with rose water and let it dry briefly. Press the edible silver leaf over the fudge, if using, and cut 1 1/2-inch square or diamond-shape pieces using a knife dipped in cold water.

This fudge keeps for 3 weeks if stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature and will keep for several months if the container is stored in the refrigerator.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Sorry about another indian food..lol but butter chicken is not spicy at all...but very nice. My daughter is addicted!

Butter Chicken Recipe

2 to 3 tablespoons of butter
1 onion
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
2 teaspoons of crushed ginger
½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 to 2 teaspoons of chilli powder
1 tablespoon of coriander
400 grams / 14 oz of skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
¼ to ½ cup ground almonds
225 gram / 8 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
½ cup of unsweetened yoghurt

Trim and cut the chicken into small cubes, cover and put aside. With a clean knife and board, slice the onions into thin wedges (lyonnaise). Heat a large saucepan or frying pan and melt 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter until it is frothy. Add the onions and the cinnamon to the pan and fry lightly. When the onions are soft stir in the crushed garlic and ginger. Then add the turmeric, chilli and coriander, and sauté over a medium heat. The spices are fried first to release their maximum flavour and this really enhances the dish. Add the cubed chicken and sauté stirring constantly until the chicken has turned white. Pour in the ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the yoghurt and heat through. Serve on rice with a salad and Indian bread if desired.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Brandi, that is VERY similar to my butter chicken recipe! Although I've gotten lazy and just use curry powder (I can get a HUGE jar of it at the Asian Market for about 3 bucks) instead of making it with the coriander/tumeric/chili powder combo. I also add more onion & garlic. Hmmm...I'm thinking butter chicken for dinner tonight!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I have Indian food 2-3 times a week. I'd suggest looking in the yellow pages for an indian market. You'll find everything you need and a bunch of great stuff you don't! lol

They're usually hidden in strip malls...I found mine by getting lost when I moved into town 4 years ago. Since then I've grown to be friends with the owners and gotten some kick ass recipies from regulars who are from India.

The thing I love most about my indian market is that things that you could get at any regular grocery store are so much cheaper. I never pay more than .99 cents for tomatoes or eggplant and all variety of nuts are 2-3 dollars a pound cheaper than the regular store.

I have literally thousands of recipies so if you're looking for something in particular let me know and I'll see what I have.
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Lucky, I feel the same way about the Asian market I visit (mostly chinese, some thai, korean, and indian) -- everything is sooo much cheaper there. Scallions are 41 cents a bunch (vs. $1.19 a bunch at the regular grocery store) and curry pastes cost a fourth of what I'd pay at the grocery store (and are much better quality, IMO).

I've had terrible luck cooking lentils for some reason. There always seems to be something wrong with them--too salty, too mushy, too hard, etc etc etc. So if you have any foolproof recipes, I'd love 'em.

I've also never cooked with paneer, I'd love some recipes with that - I've heard firm tofu is a good subsitute for paneer (I don't think I can get it around here).
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
perensky

perensky has said some nice things

I actually have experience as a chef and I never really got on with Asian cooking... it never really whetted my appetite to be frank. The only area I found tasty was Thai!
perensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I always love to try new foods and I love to visit different markets to see what I can find.
I 'discovered' Pad Thai a few years ago and have been addicted ever since! You might call it cheating, but my fave Pad Thai sauce comes in a jar.
I'm definitely going to have to try the Buttered Chicken recipe. It sounds delicious and easy to make, two of my main requirements when cooking!

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #14
Sugar

Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sugar has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

So when you say lentils do you mean dal?

I'm going to post a couple dal recipes...as for lentils I have a butt load of recipes that aren't Indian...

Moong Dal & Massor Dal

½ c Moong dal
½ c Red lentils (Massor Dal)
½ t Turmeric
¾ t Salt
3 T Vegetable oil
1 pinch asafetida
½ t Whole Cumin Seed
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 sm. Onion cut into half rings
1 sm. Tomato chopped
½ t ground coriander
½ t ground cumin
¼ t cayenne

Wash dals, drain and put in a heavy pot. Cover with 4 c water & add turmeric, Bring to a boil, partially cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 1 hour, until soft. Stir in salt. In a frying pan heat oil & add asafetida. A few seconds later put in the cumin seeds, quickly followed by the garlic & onion. Stir-fry until the onion is browned. Add tomato & stir until soft. Add remaining ingredients. Stir once and add contents to dal, stir to mix & serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sambar Recipe (south-indian-recipes.com)

1/2 lime sized ball Tamarind
1 cup Toor Dal
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 teaspoons oil
Salt to taste
5 small dry red chilies
8 Curry Leaves
1 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida (optional)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 large tomato
2 tablespoons sambar powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 cup of a vegetable of your choice like green beans, chopped carrot

Soak the tamarind in 1 cup water for 20 minutes. Squeeze it out, adding water little by little to prepare 1 cup of juice.
Choose a heavy cooking pot. Wash and clean the dal. Boil 2 cups of water and add the dal, turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of oil. As the dal boils, skim off the foam and discard. Boil until the dal is soft and then mash it coarsely. If needed, add more water as it is boiling but do not let it get too watery. If you use a pressure cooker it will take about 5 minutes.

In a separate pan, heat to medium and pour in the remaining oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chilies, mustard seeds, fenugreek and curry leaves and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the onion and brown lightly. Add the tamarind extract and let boil lightly until the onions are cooked. Add this mixture to the dal with asafoetida, tomato, vegetable of choice and sambar powder. Allow this to boil for 5 to 10 minutes and remove from the heat. Garnish with cilantro.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Sugar

I'm searching for my Paneer stuff. I personally would say for the record that Paneer & Tofu are nothing alike. Paneer is a fresh cheese and Tofu as I'm sure you know is more...absorbant when it comes to flavors. Paneer adds it's own flavor and you always fry it first. Anyway I'm searching but for now here's my favorite meat dish and side...something or other...I think because it's rice AND dal it's a complete protein but it's very pancake like.

Mutter Kheema

1 lb ground beef or lamb
1 ½ c chopped onion
¾ c chopped tomato (roma is best for this)
1 c peas
1 t ginger paste
2 t garlic paste
1 t cumin seeds
2-3 whole cloves
1-3 green cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
3-4 t cumin powder
1-2 t garam masala
1 t turmeric powder
1 t red chili powder
4-5 t vegetable oil
½ c milk
1 t salt
¼ c cilantro leaves finely chopped
3-4 T lemon juice

1. Heat oil in heavy pot, add bay leave, cardamom, cloves, cumin & sautee for 1 minute.

Quick tip: The hot oil tends to sputter when the ginger & garlic pastes are added. Please keep a splatter guard or screen handy.

2. Now add the ginger & garlic paste and sauté until light brown. Add the onions and tomatoes and cook till golden brown and til the oil starts to separate. This will take 8-10 minutes.
3. Add the ground meat and mix well. Keep stirring, so as to break up all the lumps.
4. Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, red chili, half the coriander leaves and sauté. Add the peas & milk & sir well.
5. Reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add salt to taste, remove from heat and add lemon juice, mix well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like to serve these little pancake sort of things with the meat dish...this is from a little old lady from South India...sweet as heck and ready to give all the info on how do this right. Keep in mind though, some Indian stores sell the batter pre-made.

Dosai Batter for Ootappam

2c parboiled rice
1c basmati rice
1c urad dal
1 T fenugreek seeds
1 t salt
½ t soda bicarbonate

Wash and soak dal and rice separately, dal with fenugreek seeds. Let it rest 5 to 7 hours. Drain dal. Using a blender, grind dal to a smooth paste with about a ¼ cup cold water. Drain rice. Grind rice in small (three) batches, using increasing speed and water. Mix all with salt and soda, fill half of a container and let it ferment 10 to 15 hours, until doubled.

Ootappam

1/3 c dosai batter
Chopped onions and tomatoes
Chopped green chili
Salt
Ghee

Mix batter with ingredients. Heat tava with ghee, pour batter and fry until golden, spooning ghee around the perimeter. Flip and fry the other side, serve with main course.

Last edited by Sugar; 08-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #16
CrankySpice
Unwashed.

Lucky, thank you so much! I'll try these out for sure. I'm so excited-I just found out an Indian grocery opened in Maine. I checked it out yesterday, it's a bit pricey, but it has so many more ingredients I can use! INCLUDING PANEER! I'm very excited.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #17
Admiral_Snackbar
Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie

Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!Admiral_Snackbar keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sacred excrement, I created a duplicate thread!

Here's my recipe for Spiced Basmati Rice here.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #18
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankySpice View Post
Lucky, thank you so much! I'll try these out for sure. I'm so excited-I just found out an Indian grocery opened in Maine. I checked it out yesterday, it's a bit pricey, but it has so many more ingredients I can use! INCLUDING PANEER! I'm very excited.
Cranky, don't buy paneer, make it!! It's sooo easy! Here is the recipe....

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acata...er-Recipe.html

I love it with spinach (saag paneer),
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #19
Sugar

Ack!

I thought I had posted the paneer info!

Anyway, I personally wouldn't make paneer (I have though). Here the 16oz block is $6.99, and it takes 2 gallons of whole milk to make the same amount and several hours. It's worth the $1.99 for my time and the mess (if you can find milk for $2.50 a gallon, right now I'm paying about $5.15 for horizon, I'm sure non-organic store brand is cheaper). If you are feeling up for making paneer there are a ton of recipes out there to make it, just keep in mind to make sure everything is sterilized.

~~~~~~~~~~

Paneer Korma

Ingredients

1lb Paneer, (grated)
3 medium Onions,
1 tsp finely chopped Ginger and Garlic,
1/2 cup Tomato (boiled and mashed)
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Sugar,
1 tsp Salt or as per taste.
Rasins 10-11.
Garam Masla 1/2 tsp

Method:

Grate the paneer. Keep aside. Don't grate in mixer. Grate in grater. Now grate onions in mixer.
Now take butter or ghee in kadhai and heat it. Add rasins and garam masala. Fry few seconds and add ginger garlic and onions. Add tomato puree and fry 2 min. Now add paneer and cream. Add salt and sugar. Fry 2 min. Its all done.
Garnish with raisins.
Tastes best with naan or maida puri.

This recipe asks to grate. I personally like to cube it and fry it up.

~~~~~~~
Palak (Saag) Paneer

1 lb frozen chopped spinach
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
3 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
8 ounces paneer cheese, cut into cubes (I use a full pound)
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2-3 fresh jalapenos (desired to taste) I use green chile from the indian store totally different taste and heat
2 ounces fresh lemon juice
8 ounces water (desired to taste)

Fry paneer cubes in oil (optional). Defrost frozen spinach into warm water. Sauté onion, fenugreek leaf, salt into 1-2 tablespoons of clarified butter or oil until onion is translucent. Then add ginger paste, chopped garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes and jalapeños (green chiles) and reduce heat. Let it simmer slowly in a medium heat. Add defrosted spinach & water, cover and simmer on low heat for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Add paneer to spinach (fry it if desired). Remove from the heat and serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really with paneer any sauce you'd make for a meat dish would work, just swap out the meat for the paneer.

Basically cube the block of paneer, fry in veg oil until dark golden brown on each side (it won't melt). Make your favorite sauce and mix in...excellent source of protein and who doesn't like fried cheese?

Last edited by Sugar; 08-18-2008 at 01:10 PM.