Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
aheartofstars

aheartofstars can now change their title
Default Cars for SSBBW

I am trying to go on a road trip next week. We would like to rent a car, but I am worried about getting a car that I don't fit in. I have the choices of a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Pontiac G6, Ford Escape, Ford Fusion, Chevy Aveo, Nissan Versa, Kia Rio, Chevy Cobalt, Mazda 6, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala, Pontiac Vibe, or Chevy Monte Carlo. I weigh about 466 at a height of 5'6" and I am a size 34. I own a Ford Taurus, and I am able to fit and buckle up without any issue. I know I can call and try them out, but I would like some feedback first. I'm a bit embarassed about calling and saying I'm too fat to fit in most cars. Thanks!
aheartofstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I don't know very much about cars but I personally think the Ford Focus is kind of small. It's a compact car. The Ford Fusion is the next step up, it's a mid-size and I personally do not have any problem with it but I'm like 315 pounds so I can't really speak for you. Sorry I can't help very much.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
I don't know very much about cars but I personally think the Ford Focus is kind of small. It's a compact car. The Ford Fusion is the next step up, it's a mid-size and I personally do not have any problem with it but I'm like 315 pounds so I can't really speak for you. Sorry I can't help very much.
May I ask what size you are or your height? Also, when you are in the Ford Focus do you feel like there is still belt room? Thank you. I don't mean to put you on the spot or anything.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aheartofstars View Post
May I ask what size you are or your height? Also, when you are in the Ford Focus do you feel like there is still belt room? Thank you. I don't mean to put you on the spot or anything.
Oh it's fine. I'm 5'7" and I wear a size 26 or 28. I'm able to buckle the seatbelt just fine, but I'm not sure how much extra there is in the belt - I've never really paid much attention to be honest.

Honestly, I don't suggest the Ford Focus - there just isn't much room inside there because it's a compact. My mom has a Ford Fusion and I love it - it's a lot more comfortable than the Focus. For the record, my Mom is about a size 28 or possibly 30 and she fits just fine in the Fusion. I still can't vouch for you obviously, but I think it'd be a better choice than the Focus.

As for the other cars, I don't think I've ever been in any of them so I can't really comment on how well they would work - something else might work a lot better than the Fusion. That's just based on my limited experience.

EDIT: I take that back - I have been in a Chevy Malibu. It's also smaller than the Fusion, but still better than the Focus in my opinion. I found the drivers side of the Malibu to be a bit small, but I'm not sure if you're planning on driving or just riding.

EDIT AGAIN!: Sorry, apparently I'm not reading over the list well. I've driven and riden in a Cobalt as well. It is also a compact car, so it's a bit on the smaller side.

Last edited by thatgirl08; 08-11-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
aheartofstars

Quote:
Oh it's fine. I'm 5'7" and I wear a size 26 or 28. I'm able to buckle the seatbelt just fine, but I'm not sure how much extra there is in the belt - I've never really paid much attention to be honest.

Honestly, I don't suggest the Ford Focus - there just isn't much room inside there because it's a compact. My mom has a Ford Fusion and I love it - it's a lot more comfortable than the Focus. For the record, my Mom is about a size 28 or possibly 30 and she fits just fine in the Fusion. I still can't vouch for you obviously, but I think it'd be a better choice than the Focus.

As for the other cars, I don't think I've ever been in any of them so I can't really comment on how well they would work - something else might work a lot better than the Fusion. That's just based on my limited experience.
I meant to type Fusion instead of Focus. oops. I appreciate your help though! Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Oh, you're welcome. And I added a few edited notes on my last post about the other cars.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
aheartofstars

Quote:
Oh, you're welcome. And I added a few edited notes on my last post about the other cars.
haha. It's okay. I appreciate your help. We are supposed to be splitting the driving.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
danbsc29630

danbsc29630 can now change their title

The new taruses (the old ford five-hundred) seemed to be large enough to accomidate most sized people.
danbsc29630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
aheartofstars

Just to make it easier for everyone, these are the cars that are available at my local rental places:

Ford: Focus, Escape, Fusion

Hyundai: Accent

Pontiac: G6, Vibe

Nissan: Versa

Chevrolet: Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo

Mazda: 6

Kia: Rio
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbsc29630 View Post
The new taruses (the old ford five-hundred) seemed to be large enough to accomidate most sized people.
I own a Taurus, but I can not take it on the road trip. I need to rent a car and I am only able to choose from the following:

Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
danbsc29630

danbsc29630 can now change their title

I guess I read through too fast with the Taurus recomendation lol. How many people are going? What are their sizes? How long of a drive are you taking on?
danbsc29630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbsc29630 View Post
I guess I read through too fast with the Taurus recomendation lol. How many people are going? What are their sizes? How long of a drive are you taking on?
lol. I understand. I do that sort of thing all the time =P

It is going to be me and another friend. She is a skinny woman, so there isn't an issue with her body size. We are still up in the air about what we are doing. Originally we were going to go from NJ to Chicago and then Boston, but we may now only go to one of the cities, come back early, and do a bunch of stuff in NJ.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
fatchicksrockuk

fatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticedfatchicksrockuk never has a post go unnoticed

Donni and I just rented from Avis at LAX. We normally get a Monte Carlo but they've stopped doing them there. They were good about it and let us try out a bunch of cars. We ended up getting a Cobalt, small car overall but has plenty of room in front for Donni to drive
fatchicksrockuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
Haunted
Bi-Coastal!!!

Haunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going onHaunted knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
I own a Taurus, but I can not take it on the road trip. I need to rent a car and I am only able to choose from the following:

I recommend the Impala or Monte Carlo the Malibu may do fine also

:wubu::wubu::wubu:www.bigfatlovestory.com :wubu::wubu::wubu:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
this place..its like an onion wrapped in an inigma wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in a mumu!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
Oh the life of an Fa.. its like a rollercoaster on a bouncy castle in a haunted mansion sometimes!
Haunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
bigwillylandis

bigwillylandis has said some nice things

you cant go wrong with a chevy
bigwillylandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchicksrockuk View Post
Donni and I just rented from Avis at LAX. We normally get a Monte Carlo but they've stopped doing them there. They were good about it and let us try out a bunch of cars. We ended up getting a Cobalt, small car overall but has plenty of room in front for Donni to drive
Is your Donni super sized?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
I recommend the Impala or Monte Carlo the Malibu may do fine also
Thank you for the suggestion
Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
SpecialK

SpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSpecialK can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I did some test driving last year before I bought my Hyundai Elantra so I've been in a few of these cars....

Ford: Focus, Escape, Fusion <--- the only one I can comment on here is the Focus.... standard compact car size.

Hyundai: Accent <--- which Accents are sub-compacts, I think, you'd be surprised at the room inside. As a size 24-26 bottom, I think this car would be uncomfortable for me for a long drive.

Pontiac: G6, Vibe <--- not sure if it was a G5 or G6 I tried, but basically the exact same as a Cobalt. I wasn't crazy about the Vibe, but I know some supersize friends who had one for years and loved it.

Nissan: Versa <--- never tried this personally, but I think it aligns with other compacts.

Chevrolet: Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo <--- you'll probably find the Aveo too small. I drove a Cobalt before I bought my Elantra and it was a nice car. Not a lot of hip room, but equivalent to what I have now. The other cars might give you more room, but again you'd miss out on the gas mileage.

Mazda: 6 <--- Shame it's not a Mazda 5 which is the wagon. I rented one of those once (supposed to get a Cobalt but they were all out) and I LOVED it! Still think that's what I should've bought.

Kia: Rio <--- sub-compact similar to the Aveo and Accent. Having had poor experience with a Sportage in the past, I'd never in good conscience recommend a Kia to anyone.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #19
Kennys770

Kennys770 has said some nice things

Quote:
I am trying to go on a road trip next week. We would like to rent a car, but I am worried about getting a car that I don't fit in. I have the choices of a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Pontiac G6, Ford Escape, Ford Fusion, Chevy Aveo, Nissan Versa, Kia Rio, Chevy Cobalt, Mazda 6, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala, Pontiac Vibe, or Chevy Monte Carlo. I weigh about 466 at a height of 5'6" and I am a size 34. I own a Ford Taurus, and I am able to fit and buckle up without any issue. I know I can call and try them out, but I would like some feedback first. I'm a bit embarassed about calling and saying I'm too fat to fit in most cars. Thanks!
A number of the cars you mention are just really small, such as the Aveo, Versa, Rio and Cobalt. Others would seem to be more appropriate. Of those you have listed, I would recommend the Malibu, Impala and Monte Carlo, and possibly the Vibe, since as I recall you can put the seats back pretty far in it.

You might also find the Mazda 6 works for you.
Kennys770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #20
Tori DeLuca
The Big Butt Beauty

Tori DeLuca can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTori DeLuca can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I am personally over 300 and my husband has a Versa. I hate driving the thing cuz I feel squished so I could imagine someone bigger than I would have even more of an issue. The leg room is great but I don't need leg room ( Im 5'4"), I need BUTT room and it does not seem to have enough.
IMHO
Tori DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
BigBeautifulMe
That was a heart.

BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.BigBeautifulMe has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Malibu, Malibu, Malibu! I'm 485 and 5'3", and I bought a Chevy Malibu back in January. LOTS of room - it was the only thing I've driven in a long time where the wheel didn't press into my belly.

"I just think your culinary choices could use more death of sentient creatures. Is that so wrong?" - Mini

-Rosebud- I am imagining how lovely it would be to see your golden hair rising up over my belly when you are between my thighs
-Rosebud- Like a cunnilingus sunrise
BigBeautifulMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
Rowan
wickedly delicious

Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Rowan has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

As anyone who has seen my pics on here knows, im fairly large and definitely considered a ssbbw. I bought a Kia Rondo in February and I love it. It has plenty of room between my belly and the steering wheel and the seat belt fits with plenty of room to spare. It's a nice roomy car and has good gas mileage (29 mpg) on top of it.

פפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפפ

~*~And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
~*~
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #23
luvhips

luvhips can now change their title

As an ex Ford dealer who sold both new and used ford cars and trucks as well as most used makes and models it's a tough call. Since i've sold cars to many supersized people it all depends how you are built. If its hip room you need be very careful of vehicles with center consoles. If you have a protruding rear or large bust make shure you have enough seat travel and are able to reach the pedals. My suggestion would be to go to the rental company or car dealerships at an off hour and see what vehicle you feel most comfortable in. I had a fat friendly dealership. I would meet with customers if they were to embarrassed to try cars for size either before the showroom opened or after it closed.
RE: seat belts in some cars have shorter belts, but the good news is most car companies offer seat belt extenders. The only time i did not feel good about selling a car was to a very ssbbw who only wanted a mustang. She had her bust and stomach touching the wheel and had to struggle to turn it. If you physically don't want to try cars on for size go online and look uo interior dimensions. Its not perfict like buying items from a catalog but it should give you a pretty good idea. Have a good trip.
luvhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
I did some test driving last year before I bought my Hyundai Elantra so I've been in a few of these cars....

Ford: Focus, Escape, Fusion <--- the only one I can comment on here is the Focus.... standard compact car size.

Hyundai: Accent <--- which Accents are sub-compacts, I think, you'd be surprised at the room inside. As a size 24-26 bottom, I think this car would be uncomfortable for me for a long drive.

Pontiac: G6, Vibe <--- not sure if it was a G5 or G6 I tried, but basically the exact same as a Cobalt. I wasn't crazy about the Vibe, but I know some supersize friends who had one for years and loved it.

Nissan: Versa <--- never tried this personally, but I think it aligns with other compacts.

Chevrolet: Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo <--- you'll probably find the Aveo too small. I drove a Cobalt before I bought my Elantra and it was a nice car. Not a lot of hip room, but equivalent to what I have now. The other cars might give you more room, but again you'd miss out on the gas mileage.

Mazda: 6 <--- Shame it's not a Mazda 5 which is the wagon. I rented one of those once (supposed to get a Cobalt but they were all out) and I LOVED it! Still think that's what I should've bought.

Kia: Rio <--- sub-compact similar to the Aveo and Accent. Having had poor experience with a Sportage in the past, I'd never in good conscience recommend a Kia to anyone.
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
aheartofstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeautifulMe View Post
Malibu, Malibu, Malibu! I'm 485 and 5'3", and I bought a Chevy Malibu back in January. LOTS of room - it was the only thing I've driven in a long time where the wheel didn't press into my belly.
Awesome! thank you for responding. Can you buckle the seat belt okay?