Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default A shirty question..

Do you find that regular "off the shelf" clothing for the larger guy tends to sort of fit well one part of your body but the rest just either crunches up, hangs on you or is generally ok, but not great? Have you invested in a properly tailored shirt/trousers/jacket etc or does stuff off the shelf suit you fine?
1300 Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Cane

Cane has said some nice things

Yeah that happens to me a lot, I think with off the shelf clothing you just need to make sure you try before you buy. Seems like virtually everyone experiences improper fitting with off the shelf clothing though; people come in all shapes and sizes.

That said, I find Big and Tall specialty stores like George Richards (which tend to be a little pricier) will usually result in better fits, as they take into better account the nuances of fat men's clothing.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Carl1h
figure O

Carl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging inCarl1h makes people happy simply by logging in

Almost everything off the shelf fits me in some places but not in others. Mostly I just put up with it. I have some shirts that are made by my sister and they fit right, but are a limited supply. Other than that I have never invested in anything tailor made to fit, honestly I don't care enough about my clothes to spend that sort of money on them. Especially when there's always something that needs to be upgraded on my computer.
Carl1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I’m not even all that big, and I have this problem. I’m just not proportioned the way that most clothes are cut. If a shirt will do up comfortably at the collar, it is almost for certain wide in the shoulders and quite loose in the torso. If pants will do up comfortably around my gut then more often than not they are baggy in the lower part of the torso. Apparently I have a thick neck for my general build, have always been somewhat thick in the waist, and have more of a ball belly, with no hips.

I did once get a couple of shirts semi-custom. There is this company that does a pass through Canadian cities once a year, you go in, get measured, choose the fabric and design details you want, and then the shirts actually get sewn in Hong Kong (maybe it is elsewhere now, used to be Hong Kong), and you get them four to six weeks later. It cost maybe 20% more than buying a good quality dress shirt at a department store, and probably less than buying a dress shirt at a really high end men’s retailer. Unfortunately I got that done then promptly gained ten pounds, leaving them a little snug in the collar. Still, they were a good fit, and I happily wore them until the collars wore through.

I’ve also had a suit altered, making a world of difference. Suit jackets always sat oddly on me, I thought it was the cut in the shoulders. Turns out it was the tail of the jacket resting on my big backside, and once the bottom of the jacket was let out, it sat far better. Likewise the pants, letting out the seat made them fit much better.

I’d love to get more clothes custom made, semi-custom, or at least buying high enough quality that they have the seam allowances to let them get altered, but being married with a kid, working in the tech field, spending much money on clothes just isn’t a priority right now. But for those with more reason to invest in their appearance, I totally recommend it.

ETA: Bigger women often have this problem too. Basically fat bodies tend to vary more in their proportions than do thin bodies, so it gets harder and harder to make one style that fits well for everyone.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

The big problem I have is how sizing seems random. One pair of shorts will fit with 42" waist and another I will need at least a 44"

The problem is right now I am on that bubble between 42-44.

Some 2X shirts are fine, and some make me look and feel like a sausage. Shirts are my worst problem lately. I have perky nipples and with some materials and the size I am I feel like I am walking around flashing people my boobs.

So akward.
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Archangel_257

Archangel_257 can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin View Post
The big problem I have is how sizing seems random. One pair of shorts will fit with 42" waist and another I will need at least a 44"
I have that exact same problem, but its not me as much as the brand of pants/shorts. Some brands of pants fit me awesome at 42 and yet other pairs of pants feel tight at 44.

With shirts I am always self conscious about my belly overhang peeking out the bottom of the shirt so I always try to wear an undershirt that I tuck to my pants with a t-shirt overtop. With t-shirts though, I love the funny ones, because I find it gets the ladies to check you out.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Archangel_257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
BriarChubNJ

BriarChubNJ can now change their title

Okay, I'm going Hyde Park for a minute here...

"Off the rack" clothing--that looks good immediately on most people--is a big marketing lie.

Rule 1: TRY IT ON. Even if you think you're size so-and-so, there is no consistent guide in the industry. I can wear anything from a medium to a XXL, depending on how the manufacturer cuts the fabric.

Rule 2: Fit the biggest part of you first. Guys--often this is chest/shoulders. The seam where shirt sleeves join the body of the shirt should fall at the place (more or less) where your arm and shoulder join. If the seam is across the middle of your bicep, try the next size down

Rule 3: Almost every dry cleaning shop in even the most podunk town (at least in the US) has a tailor/seamstress on staff. Get to know them...they can be your secret weapon. I have never bought pants or jeans "off the rack" in my life that didn't at least have to be hemmed (I have a very short inseam) or altered in some way. In general, it's going to be easier to take something in, than to let it out. (see rule 2)

Rule 4: General grooming...shower daily. Teeth brushed and flossed 2x/day (oftener if need be) Fingernails trimmed and clean. Haircut (of whatever style you choose) gets regular upkeep. Clothes (even casual) are clean and appropriate to the occasion if you're anywhere besides your own house. 'Nuff said

At the end of the day, you may not look like the cover of GQ, but then those folks didn't just walk into the store and grab the first thing off the shelf either. It takes some time and work...but yes, you can look sharp and put together!

Okay, off soapbox
BCNJ
BriarChubNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Lord View Post
Do you find that regular "off the shelf" clothing for the larger guy tends to sort of fit well one part of your body but the rest just either crunches up, hangs on you or is generally ok, but not great? Have you invested in a properly tailored shirt/trousers/jacket etc or does stuff off the shelf suit you fine?
Very much, so that if I do find a brand/style that fits better, I try to buy more of it so as not to need to search later!

I find blue jeans among the worst offenders - I think I need them cut with a shorter rise in the front than the back so they ride decently.

I always get suit jackets adjusted, at least in the sleeves - I have short arms proportional to my girth and to the length of my torso.
fat hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Ryōri
Built Like a Teddy Bear

Ryōri can now change their title

I have always liked Hot Topic. They had those awesome shirts that had funny, suggestive writing on it or Grr from Invader Zim. Then they went and turned it into strictly music and there are way to many emo kids hang out there. It just seems like I can't find shirts like those around where I live.

Shirt shopping for big guys is a pain in the ass because they are all different and don't really know if they are going to fit slimmer than normal or be bigger then they should.
Ryōri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
WillSpark
King Of The Robo-Sluts

WillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions communityWillSpark is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryōri View Post
I have always liked Hot Topic. They had those awesome shirts that had funny, suggestive writing on it or Grr from Invader Zim. Then they went and turned it into strictly music and there are way to many emo kids hang out there. It just seems like I can't find shirts like those around where I live.

Shirt shopping for big guys is a pain in the ass because they are all different and don't really know if they are going to fit slimmer than normal or be bigger then they should.
Apparently the "strictly music" thing hasn't hit us yet. My local mall has a Hot Topic I love and is still more about the T-Shirts and clothing, and I do like how they know their clientel enough to have multiple sizes both ways.