Welcome to the Dimensions Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
JerseyGirl07093
Stick a fork in me

JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!JerseyGirl07093 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Strange food mascots, does this bother you too?

You know something I've never understood? When you go to a BBQ restaurant and their mascot is a pig dressed in an apron and a chef's hat cooking ribs. And he's smiling! Why would he be happy about this?!
Or a chicken place that has a chicken happily cooking fried chicken.
I thought of this today because I was eating at Popeye's and looking at the decor (which of course has a happy chicken cooking some of his fellow feathered friends) and there was one pic of a guy cooking soup/gumbo and there were little crabs in it and they were singing and one that was being spooned into the soup was playing the harmonica! I don't know if I could be so happy as to play the harmonica at a time like that! It kind of reminds me of how supposedly the band played on as the Titanic sank.
Does this trend creep anyone else out? I think it's kind of funny/cute but creepy at the same time.

You're your own standard of beauty. There's no one else in the world who looks like you, so how can you compare yourself to anyone else? - Stacy London
JerseyGirl07093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!
Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!Dr. Feelgood keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think we all recognize -- subconsciously if not consciously -- that the meat we eat comes from creatures that feel grief, pain, and fear like ourselves, and it makes us feel a bit guilty.* Children are sometimes troubled by this aspect of meat-eating, but they usually become desensitized to it as they grow up. Still, it makes us feel better to fantasize that the animals accept their fate, or even enjoy it(!). Hence the quisling cartoon pigs and chickens, collaborating with the oppressor.

*This post will doubtlessly be followed by at least three posts from macho men earnestly asserting that they "don't care nothing" about how animals feel. They always protest too much.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
sugar and spice
Executive Member

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl07093 View Post
You know something I've never understood? When you go to a BBQ restaurant and their mascot is a pig dressed in an apron and a chef's hat cooking ribs. And he's smiling! Why would he be happy about this?!
Or a chicken place that has a chicken happily cooking fried chicken.
I thought of this today because I was eating at Popeye's and looking at the decor (which of course has a happy chicken cooking some of his fellow feathered friends) and there was one pic of a guy cooking soup/gumbo and there were little crabs in it and they were singing and one that was being spooned into the soup was playing the harmonica! I don't know if I could be so happy as to play the harmonica at a time like that! It kind of reminds me of how supposedly the band played on as the Titanic sank.
Does this trend creep anyone else out? I think it's kind of funny/cute but creepy at the same time.
Yes it does kinda creep me out. The example of this same thing is the frosted mini wheats commercials with the little mini wheats guys happily jumping in the bowl of hot milk and doing the backstroke happily talking about how good they are for the kid getting ready to eat them.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
steely
Master Member

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh God,I'm so depressed.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
LillyBBBW
Back from the dead

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

What about the rat that was the mascot for Quiznos subs. Gak!

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
ChubbyBubbles
Luke's Mommy

ChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions communityChubbyBubbles is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
What about the rat that was the mascot for Quiznos subs. Gak!

*Sigh* I hate to admit it...but I loved those "creatures"! I thought they were so funny! I was deeply saddened when they suddenly disappeared. Life as I knew it will never be the same...
ChubbyBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Sicilia_Curves
Sicilia Curves

Sicilia_Curves can now change their title

The pullsbury (sp?) dough boy...what's his deal? Why can't I flatten him out and make cinnamon rolls out of him?
Sicilia_Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
jcas50
Liberal Scum

jcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot picsjcas50 does more than just post hot pics

There's a chain of restaurants in the Tampa area called Egg Platter. They have terrific breakfasts. I like the biscuits and gravy with a mound of fried potatoes and onions and fried eggs. I order a side of sausage to really start my day right.
Anyway, they have these cartoon chickens on the walls in a variety of poses. And this is an egg establishment. It makes me chuckle when I am having a breakfast at 4 am on my way to catch a plane . But I don't feel queasy thinking of the chickens on the walls and the eggs I'm eating. I just like the cartoons.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!
CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
Oh God,I'm so depressed.
Queue up the "Dish of the Day" scene from Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

-Rusty
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ronald McDonald. That clown is gross! I go sick with worry about all the stuff he must be doing to the food.

Also, I heard a rumor that Tony the Tiger had dysentery but was still allowed to work around the Kelloggs Sugar Frosted Flakes. What the hell was up with that?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
wrestlingguy
No more Mr. Nice Guy

wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!wrestlingguy keeps pushing the rep limit!

The symbol of everything that is wrong with America today, this represents the parents who dump their kids off so they can be the irresponsible idiots that they are, while said kids run around like maniacs, with little or no regard for the other kids or adults around them, all while eating some of the worst food in the entire universe. I give you............................................... ...........

Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
LalaCity
Master Member

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yes, this reminds me of one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books (Restaurant at the End of the Universe, I think) where a talking cow would come to your table, personally point out the most delectable cuts of meat on its body, then bow and tell you it was happily off to be butchered and prepared for your gustatory pleasure.
LalaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.
mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

WrestlingGuy...I cannot imagine any adult going to CC with/without a kid and expecting calm, or decent food. Isn't that the whole point of the place, to let the lil freaks roam free? I remember the one time I went there...gah!

I LOVED the Quiznos sponge monkey mascots!! Why, just the other night I watched a couple of the ads on YouTube. I wish some other company would use them...hehe.

And...because somebody had to do it...I will leave you with this classic SNL commercial.

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2008/05/29...uckin-chicken/
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
MattB
\m/

MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MattB has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Burger King guy...

Those commercials with the "Burger King" were disturbing and just plain wrong...kinda like their fries...
MattB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl07093 View Post
Yes! lol

I've often noticed these kinds of signs (there's one at the local fried fish joint showing a trout dancing to hip hop, waering baggy trousers and holding a boom box) and found them disturbing in an absurd-macabre-funny way.

What animal would be happy to cook its brethren and serve it up for human consumption?

These are questions larger than any of us. And perhaps best left unanswered.

I will tell you that the SINGLE BEST FOOD SIGN I've ever seen said "Al's Jerk BBQ and Car Detailing".
Fascinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ABsurd double post.

Last edited by Fascinita : 10-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #17
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!
Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh.. those mascots.. I thought you were referring to Henry the Puffy Taco, mascot of the San Antonio Missions.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #18
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

This food mascot was so annoying, they named him The Noid!

Thank heavens he's part of our cultural legacy.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #19
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!
Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!Fuzzy keeps pushing the rep limit!

Avoid the Noid?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #20
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The worst one I know of is for a bunch of fried chicken places around here, Shifty's, where the mascot is a rat giving you the finger. WTF? And their food tastes terrible!

There's also a burger place with a giant lit-up picture on the wall inside of a cow eating a family of terrified chickens. Pretty disturbing.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
altered states
señor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Au Pied du Cochon, the 24-hour haven for drunks, tourists, and me, seems to revel in their eponymous mascot's victimhood. My GF, not a vegetarian under normal circumstances, refused to eat there because their sign shows a chef chasing a piglet with a knife, a little too much for her. Below is a graphic from their website, a CGI-inspired porker with pleading eyes.

I imagine the first PETA party president nuking the entire Ile de France someday.
Attached Images
File Type: gif BlockBotLeft.gif (15.6 KB, 119 views)
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #22
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!
CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!CleverBomb keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default The things you find while wandering the Internets...

Someone even has a blog on the subject. Posts feature disturbing advertisements and logos.

When I ran across it, I remembered this thread and figured it belonged here.

-Rusty
CleverBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #23
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

I was thinking last night that, for official Food Mascot Weirdness, nothing beat the old McDonaldland characters. I always thought they were kind of creepy.

Mayor McCheese looks downright angry in this one:

And of course, The Grimace.

Memories. Memories.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #24
sugar and spice
Executive Member

sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!sugar and spice has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinita View Post
I was thinking last night that, for official Food Mascot Weirdness, nothing beat the old McDonaldland characters. I always thought they were kind of creepy.

Mayor McCheese looks downright angry in this one:

And of course, The Grimace.

Memories. Memories.
When my brother got married his bride to be asked me to be a bridesmaid. To my horror she chose dresses that were purple( which is actually my favorite color now). I knew it the minute I looked in the mirror though I looked just like Grimace! and of course my other jerky brother had to call me that too when he saw me in that dress.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #25
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Default Let's eat!

*bumping this by request*

turkey.jpg

Kids love to color. Turkeys love to rock. Manitoba Turkey Producers love what it means for the bottom line.

Last edited by Fascinita : 11-30-2009 at 05:17 PM.