Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 11-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #276
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yeah, the whole "everyone has civil unions" thing is a new concept I heard here today and it makes sense to me. I've always bristled at the gays get civil unions compromise as its not basic equality, but the battle of personal faith creed isn't going to end soon. Letting folks of faith have church marriages and the state recognizing civil unions of all couples makes a tremendous amount of sense, and respects the separation between church and state.

Feeling lots of love for the queer fatties today. Let's march on! Donuts at the finish line.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #277
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl08 View Post
That's a really great idea. I've never heard anyone mention this idea before. It seems like it'd solve the issue in a lot of ways.
I've heard a few other people mention it but nobody seems to want to latch on to this idea. I know it's practiced in some other countries and there are no issues. It may be problematic for the people who are already married and recognized in the country. Their marrieages would have to be converted to civil unions which might make for issues, I dont know. I do know that this idea has been suggested before and quickly shot down. Or it may just trouble people that if this takes effect they won't be able to control what other people can and cannot do.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:29 AM   #278
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I've heard a few other people mention it but nobody seems to want to latch on to this idea. I know it's practiced in some other countries and there are no issues. It may be problematic for the people who are already married and recognized in the country. Their marrieages would have to be converted to civil unions which might make for issues, I dont know. I do know that this idea has been suggested before and quickly shot down. Or it may just trouble people that if this takes effect they won't be able to control what other people can and cannot do.
Actually, hetrosexual couples are pissed off here cause they cant have "civil partnerships" which is something only offered to couples of the same gender. I deffo think this should be the binding contract entered into.. with "marrage" the religious extra if desired.
mergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #279
mergirl

mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!mergirl keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl View Post
Yeah, the whole "everyone has civil unions" thing is a new concept I heard here today and it makes sense to me. I've always bristled at the gays get civil unions compromise as its not basic equality, but the battle of personal faith creed isn't going to end soon. Letting folks of faith have church marriages and the state recognizing civil unions of all couples makes a tremendous amount of sense, and respects the separation between church and state.

Feeling lots of love for the queer fatties today. Let's march on! Donuts at the finish line.
awww.. yay.. queer fatty love! erm.. isnt there an organisation called no-lose or something like that for queer fatties.. not that i'm trying to take anyone away from our fabulous queer thread nor nuttin!
mergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #280
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking it could cause a problem for those who are already married too but like you said, they could just switch them over. Anyone who is legally married could now legally have a civil union.

I'm really liking this idea. I'm surprised the idea got shot down, it seems like the perfect solution.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #281
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
Actually, hetrosexual couples are pissed off here cause they cant have "civil partnerships" which is something only offered to couples of the same gender. I deffo think this should be the binding contract entered into.. with "marrage" the religious extra if desired.
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking it could cause a problem for those who are already married too but like you said, they could just switch them over. Anyone who is legally married could now legally have a civil union.

I'm really liking this idea. I'm surprised the idea got shot down, it seems like the perfect solution.
I agree COMPLETELY. Marriage in my opinion is a very personal sacred and religious decision that a person should be able to make according to their faith, or not if they so choose. I think it is outdated and inappropriate for the Government to be involved somehow in validating marriages. It's like the Government rationing out baptisms or forcing people to undergo them in order to be acknowledged in some way. That to me is what is most tragic about all of this. Who are they to decide?

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #282
activistfatgirl

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yeah, Mer, NOLOSE is pretty bad ass. I've never really known how to meet people there or get involved. They have yearly conferences that I've dreamed of going to yearly (for the workshops, not the fat ladies, yeah...) but its always costly (and I dont qualify for financial aid, which they do have).

One day! It feels like the utopian paradise. Fat lesbians.

NOLOSE is also trans friendly which should be the norm, but isn;t.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #283
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just along the lines of an FYI, up here in Canada gay marriages are the same as any other kind. I forget the exact sequence of legal challenges, but basically what happened was that the courts said existing legislation preventing gay couples from marrying was not constitutional, the federal government said it was not going to try to bring in any new legislation, and one by one some (all now? Iím not sure) of the provinces said theyíd recognize gay marriages, and so it just happened with no new enabling law.

One interesting thing here is that the largest protestant churches (Anglican and United) and quite socially liberal (very liberal in the case of the United, which has its roots in a merger between Baptist, Congregationalist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches, but which since then has become ever more liberal in the ensuing generations). IIRC some United Church congregations were blessing same sex unions before they could actually perform formal marriages for them.

As for how it effects schools, I really donít see what the fuss is about. There was a girl a year older than my son in his school with lesbian moms, and if anyone had any complaints it was probably how come more kids didnít have two parents that delightful? They got married a few months after it became legal, and I swear that Iíve never been a wedding with more teary-eyed people, everyone was just so incredibly happy for them. (and as it was an outdoors ceremony and reception the kids were tearing around like mad, not seeing anything unusual in the whole situation). Sadly, the next year they moved to a larger house in the suburbs, and the school lost the family, which was a real shame for us (no doubt a win for the suburb in question).

Now the gay male couple who run a local book store have their two kids in the school, and I must say it has certain benefits for the annual school used book sale, and they get to clear out some dead stock from the store, so again a pure win for the school! I keep thinking we should try to recruit more gay parents to move into the neighborhood.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #284
GoldenDelicious
It's the naughty step 4U!

GoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging inGoldenDelicious makes people happy simply by logging in

Go Canada!!!
GoldenDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #285
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Check THIS out!

Quote:
The Great California Gay-Out - December 15, 2008

Join us in a gay-out, a day when members of the LGBT community and our straight allies call in "gay" for the day - we spend nothing, we produce nothing.

We show the people who voted for Prop 8 - who voted us 2nd-class citizens - that we matter!
Spread the word.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9592618&ref=mf

ETA: I've seen some other group planning a gay-out for December 8.

@~;~~

Last edited by LillyBBBW; 11-10-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #286
Mgirl

Mgirl can now change their title
Default I love keith!

Please watch...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...52443#27652443
Mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #287
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Recently there have been a lot of Chemistry.com (dating site) commercials on my cable network, and last night I actually saw one with two guys instead of a hetero couple! I was so excited; that's definitely the first gay-oriented tv ad for a dating site I've ever seen, and they made the interaction between the two men just like it is with the m/f commercials, they were kind of starry-eyed and holding hands and such. It was cute.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #288
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm sure people heard, but I didn't notice it mentioned here, that Connecticut is now performing gay marriages. Maybe not such a big deal in practical terms, when it is next door to Mass which is already doing it. Still, it means that there are again two states where it is explicitly supported, which somehow feels more encouraging that having just a single state doing it.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #289
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx View Post
I'm sure people heard, but I didn't notice it mentioned here, that Connecticut is now performing gay marriages. Maybe not such a big deal in practical terms, when it is next door to Mass which is already doing it. Still, it means that there are again two states where it is explicitly supported, which somehow feels more encouraging that having just a single state doing it.
Yes -- I read this the other day and was so happy about it!
LalaCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #290
Victim
Oasis is JUST A BAND.

Victim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions communityVictim is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Theresa watches House Hunters and House Hunters International (personally I can't stand such shows) but I've noticed that they have no problem showing same sex couples, BBW/BHM, etc. on their show.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #291
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim View Post
Theresa watches House Hunters and House Hunters International (personally I can't stand such shows) but I've noticed that they have no problem showing same sex couples, BBW/BHM, etc. on their show.
I noticed this too.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #292
Weeze
Justin Bieber of Dims

Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Weeze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I got roped into a an Anti Prop 8 rally near my college on sunday....
"As an active member of OutThere, it would be helpful if you could come support us...."

oh lord,
I can't say no to people xD
oh well, i bet there'll be a lot of rainbows
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #293
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismiss View Post
I got roped into a an Anti Prop 8 rally near my college on sunday....
"As an active member of OutThere, it would be helpful if you could come support us...."

oh lord,
I can't say no to people xD
oh well, i bet there'll be a lot of rainbows
My best friend and his boyfriend are going to an Anti-Prop 8 in the city on Saturday actually. I'm considering going as well, although I doubt it'll do much good since you know, we live in New York.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #294
activistfatgirl

Quote:
My best friend and his boyfriend are going to an Anti-Prop 8 in the city on Saturday actually. I'm considering going as well, although I doubt it'll do much good since you know, we live in New York.
Yeah, I'll be at one in Detroit tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #295
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
I agree COMPLETELY. Marriage in my opinion is a very personal sacred and religious decision that a person should be able to make according to their faith, or not if they so choose. I think it is outdated and inappropriate for the Government to be involved somehow in validating marriages. It's like the Government rationing out baptisms or forcing people to undergo them in order to be acknowledged in some way. That to me is what is most tragic about all of this. Who are they to decide?
Ok. It just occured to me why nobody is really grabbing on to this idea. When marriage is taken completely out of the government it allows people to marry anyone and any WAY they want. Will doing so affect laws against polygamy and marriages that involve people under the age of consent?

@~;~~
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #296
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Ok. It just occured to me why nobody is really grabbing on to this idea. When marriage is taken completely out of the government it allows people to marry anyone and any WAY they want. Will doing so affect laws against polygamy and marriages that involve people under the age of consent?
That's a good question. I don't see why they couldn't prohibit people from entering into civil unions with multiple partners or with minors though. They'd just have to make a law to cover it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #297
Surlysomething

Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.Surlysomething has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Love Unites

I found this on JoeMyGod. Loved it so much I had to pass it along, the picture is amazing.

Via Towleroad:
Shepard Fairey, the graphic designer and illustrator who created the iconic images for Obama's campaign, has turned his focus to the current fight for equality in the gay and lesbian community, designing a poster intended specifically for use at this weekend's rallies in California and elsewhere. The image is inspired by the art of a young man named Aaron Harvey. Thanks to the donations of two print sources, posters will be donated for the rally this Saturday at City Hall, which is part of the larger nationwide action called Join the Impact.
Surlysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #298
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
That's a good question. I don't see why they couldn't prohibit people from entering into civil unions with multiple partners or with minors though. They'd just have to make a law to cover it.
Yes but there's just one problem. Warren Jeffs. The moment a law like this goes in to effect Mr. Jeffs walks. He and his band of followers can practice marriage any way they see fit without interference because they are not filing for civil unions. They are practicing their 'faith' the way their religion dictates and with the separation of church and state he could marry as many kids as he likes as long as the parent gives consent. He is merely excluded from applying for civil unions which I'm sure he and others like him won't mind.

@~;~~
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #299
Bellyjeansgirl

Bellyjeansgirl can now change their title

I've been keeping up with Prop 8, Connecticut, and even the protests in Seattle and Atlanta. etc etc

As a reply to the original post, I'm very much into GLBT rights. I'm definitely one to fit into the Kinsey scale. I prefer guys, but if I ever step into a strip club... I'll be drooling over the chubbiest girl. Stick figures don't do it for me with either gender.

I'm straight enough to where I'd want a guy in there somewhere. Being with a girl alone never did it for me. What would you even call that degree of bi?

Sexuality has always played mind games with me, not that it bothers me or is a burden at all. I'm intrigued by it. I read loads of gay male romance.

My fantasies are all very different. Sometimes I'll be a guy making love to a thick girl, sometimes I'll be the thick girl, sometimes the skinny girl with the thick guy... I think thoughts of every possible combination have come to mind at some point or another.

I find it amusing that no matter what the gender is, there is always at least one party involved that is fat. It's the only constant in every single one of my fantasies.

Anyone else have similar or close-to similar thoughts?
Bellyjeansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #300
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

Quote:
Yes but there's just one problem. Warren Jeffs. The moment a law like this goes in to effect Mr. Jeffs walks. He and his band of followers can practice marriage any way they see fit without interference because they are not filing for civil unions. They are practicing their 'faith' the way their religion dictates and with the separation of church and state he could marry as many kids as he likes as long as the parent gives consent. He is merely excluded from applying for civil unions which I'm sure he and others like him won't mind.
Oh, true. Hm.