Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 10-13-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Obesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging in
Cool The fabulous BHM/FFA Creativity Thread...

Now I know that pictures of bellies and such are very "big" around here...(very weak pun there)...but there is a whole world of creativity and positive work going on around our little comminity too. I think most of us know that RV is an actor as well as one of the the official cartoonist around here along with Geep! I do painting, sculpture, performance art, music and writing...I am sure there are more of us with creative hobbies or artistic careers...let us know what is going on. For example, my quest to find a couple more musicians of size to create the "World's Fattest Band" is an ongoing project which seems doomed. Musicians in San Francisco are chronically starved...but hope springs eternal...we will be doing a show at Balazo gallery later this year...around the solstice with Freedom Rock and maybe a few more stoner bands...maybe some of you out there would like to either come or even....golly gosh......participate...let's get them creative juices flowin' and swappin'! LOL (That's a Mark Twain expression!)
Old 10-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Jeannie
Connect the dots

Jeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 clubJeannie is a member of the 500 club

You and your expressions!

I don't have a musical bone in my body. My creativity is probably what you would call suburban. Art projects for decorating around the house. I'm making fall wreaths this week and after seeing a half episode of "Martha", I'm dying to make some glitter pumpkins! They are v.v. pretty.

Sorry I can't offer up anything as cool as the World's Fattest Band! I'll be dreaming of it though!
Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
TaciturnBadger

TaciturnBadger can now change their title
Question There was once..

..an extremely heavyset ukulele player and singer from Hawaii, but for the life of me I can't think of his name. Anybody remember?

--B.
TaciturnBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default tiny bubbles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaciturnBadger
..an extremely heavyset ukulele player and singer from Hawaii, but for the life of me I can't think of his name. Anybody remember?

--B.

were there tiny bubbles in his wine?

you don't mean Don Ho, do you?

speaking of Don Ho, I once climbed into a dumpster to retrieve a napkin and cocktail glass with his signature on them.

And that's not the only time I've dived into a dumpster, people.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm a musician and writer and photographer, but all the other arts escape me
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
coyote wild
You'll love me, I swear.

coyote wild carries a lot of weight on this boardcoyote wild carries a lot of weight on this boardcoyote wild carries a lot of weight on this boardcoyote wild carries a lot of weight on this boardcoyote wild carries a lot of weight on this board

im going to an art school in hopes of becoming a film director. right now, my strengths are editing. i can edit the shit out of anything. my friends and i have a bunch of crazy short films we made, and now im working on making one for my reel, to have to show to possible employers.

so yeah, im all into the film. and you'll only ever hear me be cocky about that. im pretty modest about everything else. probably because i suck at everything else.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Obesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging inObesus makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Oh.... you mean Bruddah IZ....

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole....beloved master of voice and uke...may his memory last to the end of the world...he was an absolutely pure soul and his voice reflected that...his albums are emotionally moving...amazing! He passed away a few years ago but his memory is still strong and not just in the Islands...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Talking I know that Poison Idea had the former title...

...as world's fattest band...and ironically, my ex-wife lived with them for awhile while she was still in Oregon...but it is time for a new force...a new phenomenon and SF is the place where it could happen...I just know it in my bones....and I know my bones are down in there somewhere! LOL
Old 10-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
BeakerFA

BeakerFA has said some nice things
Default Jack of all trades..

Paid for few. Cartooning and illustration (clearly), animation (TV commercials, in-state, not national), writing, stage directing, singing (after a fashion), songwriting, performing (some minor stage experience and some voiceover work for in-state TV commercials). I also play keyboard in a band. OTOH, I can't dance for crap and I'm a lackluster painter.. I'd probably have something resembling a career if I could tolerate the advertising world and the awful people who work in it. Fortunately, the commissions keep me afloat.
BeakerFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Smile Jeannie, Wild Coyote, Beaker FA, Missaf...

...and all assembled here...this certainly demonstrates a wonderful range of talent and ability...in my mind's eye, I am seeing a gallery, with music, films, theatre, drawings and cartoons and lovely sparkly pumpkins!! Wouldn't it be great to do a show with all of the talented folks here? I suppose in a way, this was a little conscious-ness raising exercise too...to show that we can be fat or fat admirers and have rich creative lives...something that gets lost a bit in the one-dimensionality of the Fat, FA and FFA world. It is wonderful that we can all come here to meet at Dimensions, but I do long for learning more about the folks here...this new board format is very good for that and I hope we continue to post about our creative lives and adventures into the future!
Old 10-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
Charisa

Charisa has said some nice things

Well, there's me. I write, not as well as I'd like to. That's all I can do, really.

(Well, I can draw sheep really excellently, but that needs a different board ot be properly appreciated . WISH I could draw like Beaker or Paul Delacroix or Les Toil. And I can carry a tune, but not so's I'd call myself a singer.)
Charisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Default If it is any consolation....

Two degrees in art later, I still have a hard time with sheep! LOL Your story/blog has a wonderful sense of rooted-ness in reality, which is usually a harder thing to do than create a fantasy world...I am enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisa
Well, there's me. I write, not as well as I'd like to. That's all I can do, really.

(Well, I can draw sheep really excellently, but that needs a different board ot be properly appreciated . WISH I could draw like Beaker or Paul Delacroix or Les Toil. And I can carry a tune, but not so's I'd call myself a singer.)
Old 10-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #13
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obesus
Two degrees in art later, I still have a hard time with sheep! LOL Your story/blog has a wonderful sense of rooted-ness in reality, which is usually a harder thing to do than create a fantasy world...I am enjoying it!
I've been dying for a portrait of my hero, a civil war general who spoke 11 languages, taught rhetoric, and looked pretty damn fine on a white hourse, to be painted for my wall. I picture the man in my head whenever someone mentions his name, in whole or in part or when I read his books. I've been to his home and seen where he lived and walked and talked and taught, and...

Anyway! I've wanted a portrait of him painted, on his last parade ride in full uniform. I have a photo of it, but I want it in living color. I've asked my mom, a muralist, to do it for me, but she can't, will not, and hates to paint horses!

I figure some day I'll get it done
Old 10-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
Charisa

Charisa has said some nice things

Quote:
Two degrees in art later, I still have a hard time with sheep!
What can I say, it's a gift Can't draw people worth a damn, though!

Quote:
Your story/blog has a wonderful sense of rooted-ness in reality, which is usually a harder thing to do than create a fantasy world...I am enjoying it!
(Blushes). Thank you very much!
Charisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #15
SnapDragon
Filthy Letch

SnapDragon can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesSnapDragon can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm writing a novel.

-SnapDragon.
SnapDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 AM   #16
Zoe

Zoe has said some nice things
I love to sing, dance and write, mostly poems... I'll never be a singer, dancer or poet, but expressing myself in these ways makes the life more interesting - though some of my neighbors might disagree.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #17
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Default Snapdragon and Zoe!

It is delightful to hear that you both have creative sides....this is really turning into a fascinating look at how talented and varied our little community really is....novels and singing and dancing and all manner of wonderful things! Huzzah....perhaps one day we will have a bit of an electronic parlour and a nice fire of electrons and have an evening's salon with sharing of excerpts! Or something like that! Oh...they call that the chat room! LOL
Old 10-28-2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Default Tonight's show at The Drugstore at Mission and Precita

...was just a whizbang...the magickal sound theatre of "Scarab" (me and my ex-wife Suzi) had a great time and got lots of compliments.....I think we will have some photos coming up next week ...I know the guy from the "San Francisco Secret Art" website was there taking photos, which is very cool...that gets folks a lot more shows! We are back on the way again! This happens about every 15 years in my art career! LOL Fat creativity wins again! I anyone else doing anything creative for Holloween? Eh?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #19
missaf

I painted my son's wooden shield and sword to match his purchased knight costume. I'm not much of a painter...

As I was opening the blue paint, an air bubble popped in the jar, and I dropped it... right onto my mom's freshly painted mural portrait she had been painting in her dining room. Blue paint all over the linoleum, the portrait, the walls, the ceiling...

I've never mopped or sponged so fast in my life!

It turns out, my mom spilled green paint on it later in the week, so I don't feel bad.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:31 AM   #20
AZ_Wolf
Lupus Maximus

AZ_Wolf does more than just post hot picsAZ_Wolf does more than just post hot picsAZ_Wolf does more than just post hot picsAZ_Wolf does more than just post hot pics

I have a BA degree in creative writing. I've published some satire, and also a few technical articles. I also have had a habit for years of drawing a portrait of someone I'm dating if it looks like it might be serious, to help let her know at least I am.

I've also pencil-sketched nature scenes, wolves, medieval/SF&F shots...but wanted to be able to put my full imagination on paper. So, I currently want to learn how to oil paint. I have all the supplies except an easel....I signed up to take lessons once when I still lived in Philly, but the teacher was, literally, a "set your canvas up here. Here's your model. Paint." kind of person. Woo. Very helpful. Glad I'm paying you for this. So....I'm still hoping to be able to learn the basics of oil paint so I'll have a clue how to go about setting my mind's eye to canvas.

Last edited by AZ_Wolf; 10-29-2005 at 03:38 AM.
AZ_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #21
Chuck

Chuck has said some nice things
Default IZ Kamakawiwo'ole

Tim:

You mentioned IZ's great heart and voice and uke skills. He also knew how to choose a song and had a great band. When I think of people that could do it all, I always remember him.

If anyone out there is curious about IZ, get yourself the "Facing Future" CD and you'll see why he was the most beloved artist in Hawaii and Facing Future (a Hawaiian album!!!) went platinum. His version of "What A Wonderful World" is still the #1 song ever on Billboards's World Music chart.

It's hard to imagine that you won't love IZ's CD's. If you don't and are a FFA, at least you'll have a nice picture of a 600+ pound Hawaiian guy.

Chuck
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #22
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I play a MEAN kazoo.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #23
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Default I agree.....

He just had a wonderful gift and you can feel his emotions so strongly and clearly...not many musicians anywhere have that gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Tim:

You mentioned IZ's great heart and voice and uke skills. He also knew how to choose a song and had a great band. When I think of people that could do it all, I always remember him.

If anyone out there is curious about IZ, get yourself the "Facing Future" CD and you'll see why he was the most beloved artist in Hawaii and Facing Future (a Hawaiian album!!!) went platinum. His version of "What A Wonderful World" is still the #1 song ever on Billboards's World Music chart.

It's hard to imagine that you won't love IZ's CD's. If you don't and are a FFA, at least you'll have a nice picture of a 600+ pound Hawaiian guy.

Chuck
Old 10-30-2005, 09:55 PM   #24
Obesus
Designated Fat Holy Man

Default Mr. Fatlane!!!

Oh wow...since I love to put stuff like banjo and honky-tonk piano on my gothy type songs, would you like to do a guest spot!??? LOL...the kazoo is the preferred instrument of all "Doktors for Bob/Bonzo Dog Band" type bands, everywhere; am I wrong? Tres Hip and in the words of Viv Stanshall, very "Plantismal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlane
I play a MEAN kazoo.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:25 PM   #25
missaf

I guess I could break out my jew's harp, lol.