Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Recliners for big folks?

Does anybody out there have any leads on recliners for big folks?

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Hi Zandoz,

These people make custom furniture and may be able to help:

http://www.widebodiesfurniture.com

moonvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
EvilBob
Embattled Illusion

EvilBob can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I got mine @ Wicks Furniture of all places. They told me they had one built for big loads -- the same one Shaq had when he was with the Lakers in LA. I am not in California right now, so I can't tell you the make/model, but it handles my big self with ease for about 2 years now... but it did cost me just under $1000.

However, if you are under about 6 feet, you legs will likely dangle like a 6 year old on it.

==========================
EvilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
BBWMoon
Kisses

BBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I had to laugh when I saw this one:

The "Beast"

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=6588
BBWMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
BBWMoon
Kisses

BBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBBWMoon is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I found that your request is quite easy. There's almost one "Big Man's" Recliner in every furniture company.

Use Google images: "big recliner"

and you'll find hundreds!
BBWMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBob
However, if you are under about 6 feet, you legs will likely dangle like a 6 year old on it.
As you can see from the pic, I've got those short troll legs. LOL

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWMoon
I had to laugh when I saw this one:

The "Beast"

http://www.raymourflanigan.com/catal...ls.asp?ID=6588

Looks interesting....I'll have to pass that one along to the boss lady.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWMoon
I found that your request is quite easy. There's almost one "Big Man's" Recliner in every furniture company.

Use Google images: "big recliner"

and you'll find hundreds!

Yeah, I did that along with a couple other variations like "Heavy duty". A lot of them came up, but most were not very big when the actual dimensions were examined, and little or no info on how they were constructed.

We found out the hard way some years back, that just because they say things like "Big and tall", it does not mean that they are constructed for it. We paid a couple thousand dollars for a sectional/recliner couch that was supposed to be a "Big man" version...it did not last much beyond the year warranty, before it started coming apart. Before we pitched it, I tore it apart, and some of the framing was actually nothing more than multi-layer laminated cardboard...not even plywood.

I was hoping that some of the folks here had run across durrable ones.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Aliena
~Merriest Christmasus~

Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Aliena has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Wink

My hubby and I bought two fat-man recliners two-years ago. It came with the massagers and everything.

I enjoy my arse massager immensely, but since having my chair, I have developed a bad back. I think the back issue comes from other issues, but I am almost 100% certain the chair doesn't help.

Since my surgery, I have been unable to sleep in my bed, (something that will be changing soon, because I am buying an adjustable bed) so this chair has helped me tremendously in that department!
The only thing is, because it gets a lot of usage, it has lost a lot of its shape. I got the Lazy Boy big boy's chair w/massager and heat.

If you can get out of buying an easy chair, I would encourage it. I just feel it isn't good for posture or one's back health.

Good luck to you!!
Aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Zandoz,

I have the big and tall recliner made by LazyBoy and love love love it!! I've had it between 5-6 years and it's held up remarkably well, and I use it ALOT. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping when I am sick so end up sleeping in the chair rather than bed and it's held up really, really well. I can't remember the name of this model and went to LazyBoy's website and still can't pick it out, but online they all look the same to me. As of a year ago, they still were selling in my area so I don't think they've discontinued - at least I hope not!!!! Oh and I paid $499

I hope this helps ya, I couldn't live without my recliner.

edited to add: I looked again and the Atlas model looks to be the closest to what I have.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture...ct.aspx?pid=19

Last edited by ValentineBBW; 03-13-2006 at 03:11 PM.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A few years ago, I was having some back trouble. My husband found a lift recliner with a 500 pound capacity from Med-lift. I cost over $1000, but I love it, and often still sleep in it.
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Ladyrose1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandoz
Sears has a nice massage/recliner and it is great for me. It is a pretty super size chair as I don't fill the whole seat and I am 431 pounds.
This chair costs about $500.00 but it is well worth it for the comfort.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
ConnieLynn
Southern Broad

ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!ConnieLynn keeps pushing the rep limit!

Zandoz, I bought a great recliner for my ex a few years ago. It was purchased at the Sear's Homeplace store and made by Lane for big folks with a heavy steel frame. It's seriously heavy duty and huge. I think it cost about $600. He always joked that it was big enough for him and a cat on each side. I've always hated recliners but loved this one.
ConnieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Ladyrose1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLynn
Zandoz, I bought a great recliner for my ex a few years ago. It was purchased at the Sear's Homeplace store and made by Lane for big folks with a heavy steel frame. It's seriously heavy duty and huge. I think it cost about $600. He always joked that it was big enough for him and a cat on each side. I've always hated recliners but loved this one.
I am pretty sure that that is the one that I have, but my three cats share mine with me and there is still room to share.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
Zandoz
Highly irregular

So far I've not had any luck tracking down anything on the Sears/Lane big recliners.

Here are a few options we're considering...has anyone had any experiance with these?

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/r...cliner-22.html

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/d...er-sofa-5.html

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture....aspx?pid=2090

And locally another dual recliner by Berkline called the Odessa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berkline Odessa.jpg (39.8 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by Zandoz; 03-15-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #16
EvilBob
Embattled Illusion

Default My Recliner

I own this one. Bought it for about $800 at a place called Wickes Furniture (Maybe just Wicks). I have abused it with my 300 - 400 lbs for about 3 years with no wear or compression at all. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I was told by a friend who is a Personal Assistant in LA, that Shaq owned this one while he lived in LA with the Lakers - that is how I knew to look for it.

Lane Magnitude

I have a big friend who swear by his below... also a Lane.

Lane Comfort King

Best,
EB

Old 03-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #17
Zandoz
Highly irregular

I've run across several Lanes on line, that I like, but the problem is finding a local furniture store that is not of the "if you have to ask the price, you shouldn't be shopping here" variety. No Wicks furnitures that I know of around here...Wicks around here is a lumber yard chain.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
EvilBob
Embattled Illusion

Lane is carried at large Dept Stores like Dillards or Lazarus... a little high end, but well worth the money. I used to go through recliners every 2 years...

All the stores at this link sell them in your area... call, ask if they carry the model and get the price. Worst case you waste an hour. Best case, someone hooks you up.

Cincy Lane's Dealers

Either way, good luck!
EB

PS: Born and raised in the Burgh... hate to say it... must.... you're from Cincy... it's required...can't control it... GO STEELERS!

Old 03-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBob
Lane is carried at large Dept Stores like Dillards or Lazarus... a little high end, but well worth the money. I used to go through recliners every 2 years...

All the stores at this link sell them in your area... call, ask if they carry the model and get the price. Worst case you waste an hour. Best case, someone hooks you up.

Cincy Lane's Dealers

Either way, good luck!
EB

PS: Born and raised in the Burgh... hate to say it... must.... you're from Cincy... it's required...can't control it... GO STEELERS!

Thanks! The Lazarus and Dillards ones kind of fall into the category I mentioned. Hopefully we'll be making the store rounds soon and check out some of the others.

No worries on the Steeler's things...some of my dearest friends are Steeler's fans...LOL. Basically I root for the Bengals by default of location....not a big football fan.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #20
ValentineBBW
seeking Vegas

ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!ValentineBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
So far I've not had any luck tracking down anything on the Sears/Lane big recliners.

Here are a few options we're considering...has anyone had any experiance with these?

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/r...cliner-22.html

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/d...er-sofa-5.html

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture....aspx?pid=2090

And locally another dual recliner by Berkline called the Odessa
Hi again Zandoz,

I can't comment on your selections specifically but did want to mention that I've found it best to shy away from any recliners or couches with recliners that have the push-button rather than the lever. I have round the push button doesn't work most of the time and doesn't hold up under pressure. The lever action guarantees you are up and locked into place.

Ok back to my lurking around.
ValentineBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineBBW
Hi again Zandoz,

I can't comment on your selections specifically but did want to mention that I've found it best to shy away from any recliners or couches with recliners that have the push-button rather than the lever. I have round the push button doesn't work most of the time and doesn't hold up under pressure. The lever action guarantees you are up and locked into place.

Ok back to my lurking around.

Thanks for the heads up. I had not thought of that...and it seems most of the ones we've been looking at are the push-button ones... it figures...LOL

Old 03-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #22
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.
rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Here's my question: How do you use a recliner with cats in the house? See that space under the foot part? Mine would be in that in a flash. Then someone rings the doorbell, close it quickly to get up, an hour later you're wondering where kitty is. Or at least that's the scenario in my brain.

Last edited by rainyday; 04-05-2009 at 03:33 AM.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #23
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cat sits on recliner. Human uses floor. That's how it works in my place.

Edited to say that my brother and sister-in-law just have a really fat cat who can't even fit under the bed, so recliners aren't an issue.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #24
Sandie S-R
I'm in the pool!

Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie S-R keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
About 7 years ago, Guy and I bought a Lazy Boy double recliner sofa. Jeez, I love this thing. It is roomy and comfy (room for both of us and room to spare), and has lasted well. After having my knee injury and surgery last summer, I ended up on the recliner (a lot!!), as I could keep my braced leg - up and straight all the time (which was necessary).

Anyway, the double recliner sofa, which looks like a larger version of a love seat, is a great way to go for big folks.
Sandie S-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #25
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday
Here's my question: How do you use a recliner with cats in the house? See that space under the foot part? Mine would be in that in a flash. Then someone rings the doorbell, close it quickly to get up, an hour later you're wondering where kitty is. Or at least that's the scenario in my brain.

Honestly I just sit in the recliner. I don't lean back in it. Although bigger cats are at least a little crush proof, I always have kittens running around.

moonvine is offline   Reply With Quote