Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Cake decorating...

So I am taking a cake decorating class every Wednesday lol...it's going to be interesting since I suck at it right now!! lmao!

Anyone that can give me tips....come on down!

If you decorate your own cakes, take a pic and post them here!

Unfortunately, I will be showing everyone of mine lmao!!!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
JennaVonDell
Jenna VonDell

JennaVonDell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJennaVonDell can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Cake decorating

I love cake decorating, probably beccause cake is my favorite thing to eat. lol

Here is a pic of a cake I slapped together quickly and last minute for a friend's anniversary.

Buy the wiltons yearbook and study the tips and what they make. However practice practice practice, thats the most important thing. Make sure the frosting is at the right consistancy or your hands wil lhurt and the decor won't come out right

Loves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digcampics008.jpg (109.2 KB, 262 views)
JennaVonDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Very nice!

I'm actually taking the wilton's cake decorating class!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Pookie

Pookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 club

This might amuse you!

I enjoy decorating, but never seem to have much of the chance to do so, its a collegues 40th birthday soon, so I am making a cake for her and the kids at work, so I am going to make that all lovely.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The decorating part always came easy to me. But getting the right icing consistency - and getting it to taste good - is always the trickiest part, IMO. Once you find some you like, don't ever lose the recipe!

Also, don't try to use the wrong tip for things. It makes a huge difference if you're doing detail work. They're cheap, and you'll reduce your frustration level.

But most of all... have fun, knowing you can hide the mistakes... in your belly!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
This might amuse you!

I enjoy decorating, but never seem to have much of the chance to do so, its a collegues 40th birthday soon, so I am making a cake for her and the kids at work, so I am going to make that all lovely.
LOL not even on my best day could I do this lol BUT WOW some amazing artists!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
The decorating part always came easy to me. But getting the right icing consistency - and getting it to taste good - is always the trickiest part, IMO. Once you find some you like, don't ever lose the recipe!

Also, don't try to use the wrong tip for things. It makes a huge difference if you're doing detail work. They're cheap, and you'll reduce your frustration level.

But most of all... have fun, knowing you can hide the mistakes... in your belly!
What is your favourite recipe for icing?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My sister in law took the Wilton classes and loved it, she's an amazing cake artist:

I typically do more cupcakes and stick to a homespun approach. I just like them to look pleasant and unassuming without seeming fussy or needing stuff picked off. It's all about taste for me!

katorade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

*swoon*

Must. Have. Cupcakes. Now.

(heck, I would just settle for some frosting!)
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Hathor
stolen child

Hathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot picsHathor does more than just post hot pics

Wow, really pretty cakes!

I love watching the cake shows on Bravo and FoodTV. I'd love to learn how to make a fun cake with fondant, but I find that it's really hard to work with.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
intraultra
big monster lover

intraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging inintraultra makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Very nice!

I'm actually taking the wilton's cake decorating class!
My mom and I have thought about taking the Wilton cake decorating classes together. Either that or we were thinking of lessons in mosaics from this cool Philly artist. I hope you'll be keeping us updated on how it's going/how you like it!
intraultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
CuteyChubb
Queen of Hearts

CuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging in

Hey Brandi! My daughter and I took the first of the Wilton classes 2 yrs ago. I was on some "diet" med at the time so my hand was so shaky my work looked bad so I speant the rest of the class making sure Raquelle's frosting was the right colors and consistency. The class was really fun though and Raquelle did well. Have you done the rainbow cake yet?

:) Smile, JESUS loves you. (Even if you don't want him to. ;) )
CuteyChubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
thatgirl08
KNOW IT ALL

thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!thatgirl08 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I really want to do a cake decorating class! A few friends and I are considering it.
thatgirl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
Theatrmuse/Kara
Warrior Momma

Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Theatrmuse/Kara has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I really want cupcakes now...................wah!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. ~Mother Teresa
Theatrmuse/Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Check these out woman!
And they were delish!
Next Asheville get together I'll bring something tasty.

Last edited by steely; 03-18-2010 at 06:41 AM.
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #16
Tanuki
Bear. Rawr~!

Tanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTanuki is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I have been wanting to lean how to bake / decorate cakes for a while and this thread has filed me with inspiration!

Thanks <3
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
steely

steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!steely has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bear View Post
I have been wanting to lean how to bake / decorate cakes for a while and this thread has filed me with inspiration!

Thanks <3
I don't make a lot of fancy things but it amazes me that people don't bake.
It's really not that hard and most of the time it tastes so much better than store bought.I do have a lady I use for birthday cakes but cookies,muffins,pancakes,regular cakes I just do it myself.

Give it a try!I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Sorry everyone...the last two wednesdays my class been canceled due to weather, I hope it improves next week!!!

I'd love the whipped icing recipe..anyone have it?

Last edited by Brandi; 01-28-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
mybluice

mybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot picsmybluice does more than just post hot pics

Man oh man all the decorated cakes and cupcakes look so good...I would like to take a class, but I know me too well and it would be a bad thing...I would be making them all the time...lol
mybluice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
CuteyChubb
Queen of Hearts

CuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging in

Must have cupcakes asap!

:) Smile, JESUS loves you. (Even if you don't want him to. ;) )
CuteyChubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
sugarmoore
jiggles when she giggles

sugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessugarmoore can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

you guys know i started a cupcake thread right? lol im in pastry school but we havnt got to decoration yet..so all i can say is from personal experiance, the temprature of the room your in is important! lol i made a beautiful cake and all the frosting slide off cause it was hot in the room!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Omg that would piss me off lol
Old 07-11-2015, 11:03 PM   #23
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I know this thread is pretty old, but it seemed kind of pointless to start a brand new one on a similar topic.

Disclaimer: I am purely an amateur cake decorator, have never attended any cake decorating classes (obviously), and make cakes for friends and family only. I could never make anything as stunning as that white-and-pink heart cake in the 2nd post in this thread.

But making these was still kind of fun:

MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

They're fun just to look at! Clever, orginal, and artistic: just what I would have expected from you.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #25
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I know this thread is pretty old, but it seemed kind of pointless to start a brand new one on a similar topic.

Disclaimer: I am purely an amateur cake decorator, have never attended any cake decorating classes (obviously), and make cakes for friends and family only. I could never make anything as stunning as that white-and-pink heart cake in the 2nd post in this thread.

But making these was still kind of fun:

They look great! Might want to try to do it as a living. I think you would do well.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote