Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Fish
Artist of stuff

Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Exclamation BBW art at orlando art Show in February...

Greetings, one and all. I'm pleased to announce that the above illustration was approved for inclusion in the annual art festival, "Nude Nite Orlando". It's an art gallery showing of unique artistic expressions of the nude form. While there is the occasional bbw piece, I decided to try my hand at putting together a piece for this years show and have just been informed that my illustration has been accepted.

Now, before clicking the link above, keep in mind that the show is called "Nude Nite Orlando", so expect artistically expressed nudity. Now, you may have noticed that the above image is NOT a nude. The original art for the piece IS a nude illustration, however I've given her her flowing gown for the blog so that all can enjoy the image. I actually really dig the addition of the gown and will be making this available for sale as a print soon.

Anyway, the gallery showing is February 12th through the 14th in Orlando, Florida for all of those who might be interested in attending. Details of the show are at the link above. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
kioewen

kioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot picskioewen does more than just post hot pics

That's a beautiful image. Reminds me of Paul Delacrox.

Thank you for adding the gown, b/c some people wouldn't be able to appreciate it without. I actually think it would be less attractive if it was a nude.
kioewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
swordchick
Deeeeeeeeeeeeez Nuts!

swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!swordchick has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love the drawing. It is so beautiful, with or without clothing. I am very curious what the reactions will be of the people attending Nude Night. Good luck!

Rest in peace, Cinda
and all the others that have passed.
We will miss you sweet angels.

swordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Congrats on the show. The drawing is gorgeous. Keep up the great work showing fat beauty.

(PS - Is there anywhere to view her sans gown?)

Last edited by Fascinita; 01-25-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Fascinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
MsGreenLantern
Keanu Drakula The Centaur

MsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticedMsGreenLantern never has a post go unnoticed

All I can think of when I see such amazing art is "I wish I had a self-portrait like this"! I love it, and the whole exhibit looks to be amazing from what they show on the website!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Fish
Artist of stuff

Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Fish has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinita View Post
Congrats on the show. The drawing is gorgeous. Keep up the great work showing fat beauty.

(PS - Is there anywhere to view her sans gown?)
Thanks. For those of you who can't make it to the show in February, the unaltered, nude version of the art is previewed HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGreenLantern
All I can think of when I see such amazing art is "I wish I had a self-portrait like this"! I love it, and the whole exhibit looks to be amazing from what they show on the website!
Not to be TOO self promotey, but I DO draw commissions for folks with that exact wish all the time.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Fascinita
Jeez, we're blessed!

Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fascinita has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Thanks. For those of you who can't make it to the show in February, the unaltered, nude version of the art is previewed HERE.
Well, she's definitely naked!

I like her with her robe. In the nude, all I am able to look at is her boobs. lol That probably has to do with their placement in the composition more than anything. Still, the nude seems drawn in a much more erotic-burlesquey way. With the robe on, it becomes less committal and much safer, but less one-dimensionally sexy, too. The robe brings in possibilities for experiencing the drawing that don't seem there in the nude.

It's pretty damned cute, Fish. Lovely work. Thanks so much for letting us see. Congrats again.

Last edited by Fascinita; 01-25-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Fascinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

wow, this is great...good for you!! congrats. beautiful drawing.
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Fish
Artist of stuff

Unhappy

Thanks again. I really appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, I didn't get quite as many HONEST kind words when I went to drop the art off for the show this afternoon. The attendant who was there recognized me by name and said that she LOVED my piece. She said that a few times actually. While I was signing in and getting my badge, she mentioned how much she liked my work and I was feeling pretty good until right as I was getting ready to leave, and without changing her tone or looking like she had the slightest idea why what she was about to say would ruin my day, she said: "I just love how you captured the humor in this."

Humor?

I was frozen, said my goodbuys and left feeling like $#!+. What is funny about my drawing? She's not wearing clown shoes or making a punchline. I can only assume that what makes that illustration HUMOROUS to this representative of the show is that the subject in the drawing is FAT.

I get this kind of reaction a lot, actually. Whenever I show off my bbw art at comic conventions that I work, there are always plenty of people who look at drawings totally devoid of humorous intent and assume that I mean it as a joke. It always bugs me a little, but I shrug it off at the comic shows. I don't let it get to me. But this really got to me. This is supposed to be an ART show with the purpose of showing the beauty in the human form undressed. Showing the beauty and art in that which is considered socially unacceptable. And while I suppose their high minded idealism extends to nudity... but not to FAT nudity.

I'm just disgusted and depressed and almost want to go back and pull my work out of the show. I put a lot of work into that piece and was kinda proud of it and to have someone who's supposed to know better look at it and think it's a joke really hurts. Sorry, just needed to vent.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
KendraLee

KendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging inKendraLee makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Thanks again. I really appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, I didn't get quite as many HONEST kind words when I went to drop the art off for the show this afternoon. The attendant who was there recognized me by name and said that she LOVED my piece. She said that a few times actually. While I was signing in and getting my badge, she mentioned how much she liked my work and I was feeling pretty good until right as I was getting ready to leave, and without changing her tone or looking like she had the slightest idea why what she was about to say would ruin my day, she said: "I just love how you captured the humor in this."

Humor?

I was frozen, said my goodbuys and left feeling like $#!+. What is funny about my drawing? She's not wearing clown shoes or making a punchline. I can only assume that what makes that illustration HUMOROUS to this representative of the show is that the subject in the drawing is FAT.

I get this kind of reaction a lot, actually. Whenever I show off my bbw art at comic conventions that I work, there are always plenty of people who look at drawings totally devoid of humorous intent and assume that I mean it as a joke. It always bugs me a little, but I shrug it off at the comic shows. I don't let it get to me. But this really got to me. This is supposed to be an ART show with the purpose of showing the beauty in the human form undressed. Showing the beauty and art in that which is considered socially unacceptable. And while I suppose their high minded idealism extends to nudity... but not to FAT nudity.

I'm just disgusted and depressed and almost want to go back and pull my work out of the show. I put a lot of work into that piece and was kinda proud of it and to have someone who's supposed to know better look at it and think it's a joke really hurts. Sorry, just needed to vent.
I'm sorry about this. Your work is really beautiful. Don't pull it out. Even if just one person gets it, its worth the others who don't. Maybe if you get the chance at the show or after you can confront that person with how surprised you were that she really didnt get the message you were conveying with your picture at all
Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
stan_der_man
The Teflon Frog

Location: Born in The Mission, raised on Rt. 66, living in the Squirrel Ghetto, SoCal
stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.stan_der_man has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Humor?

I also wanted to chime in and give you kudos for the work you do Fish. Your images are always incredible! Unfortunately, fat acceptance isn't to a point yet where many people understand it, let alone take it seriously. Those advocating a positive message about fat acceptance, whether through their advocacy or art will be ridiculed until fat acceptance becomes more mainstream. But you know what, I'm sure there were a few people at that show who knew what your drawing is about... silent as they may be, they are out there. Those are the people your work is for Fish, and believe me they admire what you do even if they don't vocalize it. You may not get the appreciation for your art that you rightfully deserve, presently anyway... at very least you are paving the way for future generations of artists, for people who admire voluptuous figures and the fat people themselves. Don't be discouraged Fish, perhaps this just wasn't the right venue for your art. You do fabulous work Fish, keep showing your work, I assure you that many people admire what you are depicting, the images themselves and the cause.

"Regardless of who runs the websites and organizations, the cause belongs to all of us.

Last edited by stan_der_man; 02-10-2009 at 03:45 PM.
stan_der_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
seancraven

seancraven has said some nice things

Hey, Fish!

I'm a little hesitant about saying this because I don't know how those people were addressing you, so my comments here may not apply to the situation at all.

I do see a quality of humor to your work. It's not that you're making visual jokes, there's no quality of mockery to what you do.

But when I look at this particular work I feel that it's the product of a vision that incorporates a gentle sense of humor into its perception of beauty. Look at the proportions of the woman you've drawn -- the size of her feet and the hands. Look at the pose -- it's deliberately distorted to evoke a feeling of simultaneous expansion and lightness.

What you do is closer to cartooning than it is to photorealism. Cartooning isn't all there is to it -- for instance, in this piece your handling of the leaves and the overall quality of flow makes me suspect that you dig Art Nouveau. But when you do line drawings that manipulate human proportions for effect, well, that's cartooning. (Just so you know, I have a very broad definition of 'cartoon,' one that takes in a lot of fine art.) When people see cartoons, they see humor.

What I'm saying is that humor doesn't always evoke laughter -- it can also make us smile.
seancraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
jewels_mystery
Urban Hippie

jewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going onjewels_mystery knows EXACTLY what's going on

I love your art work. Especially the nude. I wish there was more quality nude bbw art.
jewels_mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Fish
Artist of stuff

Thanks for all the kind words. I really do appreciate hearing it.

In spite of my frustrations over what I felt was the gallery operator not taking my stuff seriously, I'm VERY happy to report that my piece SOLD at the show, so that's a big "Plus".

Inpsired by that sale, I decided to take a couple of my existing illustrations and put the originals up on Ebay and see if anyone is interested.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
Wilson Barbers
Full-time Fanta-sizer

Wilson Barbers can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesWilson Barbers can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesWilson Barbers can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I suspect the people who see your portraits as humorous do so after years of popular art like Duane Bryers' Hilda calendar art. The thought of a full-figured woman posing provocatively or playfully is seen as a joke to them, though many FAs and fat women look at the same images and see 'em as positive. It's all a matter of cultural filtering . . .

Me, I find your illo damn sexy, of course.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Filtration

Quote:

Humor?

Oh boy... I don't know whether to blame Florida and its Bikini Culture for that, or not. It was really bad in the early 80s... we only had Rockshots Greeting Cards and BUF Magazine, and early Fat Erotica ALWAYS had to be accompanied by ham-handed humor. When you think about the utterly liberated and unapologetic BODacious Magazine of today, it's a real revolution. Obviously, the struggle continues.
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #17
altered states
señor member

altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!altered states has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

That's a great image - congrats on getting into the show and making the sale.

As an artist, you have to keep in mind you're never, ever gonna have control of what people perceive in your work. That's the fun, and also the horror of it.
altered states is offline   Reply With Quote