Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
largenlovely
Still a Fat Girl lol

largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!largenlovely keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default PETA Ad Banned From Super Bowl

Someone here sent me this article and asked that i post it. He was bothered that it claimed that people who eat meat are "fat, sick and boring in bed" I don't want to put words in his mouth, but i'm thinking he feels that it was meant that because a person is FAT that they're boring in bed.

I think that there was definitely a slur against fat people in there, but i personally think that it was more aimed towards all meat eaters in general, fat OR thin...but i could be wrong

Here's the article

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0661297/

Pamela Anderson and Pink's favourite animal rights group PETA's latest TV ad has been blocked from debuting during the Super Bowl telecast on Sunday - because it's too naughty. The saucy commercial, aimed at encouraging sportsmen and women to go veggie, features lingerie-clad models caressing broccoli spears and kissing a pumpkin.

But bosses at TV network NBC, the channel airing the big game, have ruled the ad is too too racy for Super Bowl audiences, and they've benched the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' (PETA) commercial.

NBC Universal vice president of advertising standards, Victoria Morgan, states, "The PETA spot submitted to Advertising Standards depicts a level of sexuality exceeding our standards."

But PETA bosses contend the 30-second spot, which carries the message, "Studies Show: Vegetarians Have Better Sex", should never have been axed - and they fear there's another reason behind the ban.

Group Senior Vice President Lisa Lange says, "PETA designed the commercial to add balance to the traditional onslaught of Super Bowl commercials for meaty, greasy, and factory-farmed fast food, including those run by KFC. The fast-food giant is a major NBC sponsor, and a target of heavy PETA campaigning as a result of its failure to reform cruel animal welfare practices and slaughter methods.

"PETA is asking if this relationship could have something to do with NBC's decision to nix the group's ad.

"PETA's veggie ads are locked out while ads for fried chicken and burgers are allowed - even though these foods make Americans fat, sick, and boring in bed."

PETA spokesman Michael McGraw adds, "The bottom line is, the ad is a fun, tongue-in cheek way of calling attention to the healthy, sexy, and humane reasons for switching to a vegetarian diet."
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've been a PETA supporter for many years, and I think they've accomplished some good things. But nobody's perfect, and PETA has consistently broadcast the message, "Don't eat meat! It'll make you fat!" I don't believe this is due to any particular anti-fat bias on PETA's part so much as a shrewd realization that millions of Americans are panicked about fat, plus the determination to use that panic to make a negative association with meat. It's psychological manipulation, otherwise known as advertising.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
AshleyEileen
chunky

AshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions communityAshleyEileen is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Here's a link to the commercial: click.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't think the ad is really that scandalous.

And if they think it's meat making people fat, they're out of their minds. Hello.... body by carbs, checking in.

Last edited by AnnMarie; 01-27-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm pretty sure that PETA is the devil. A hypocritical, murderous devil at that.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
furious styles
goodbye halcyon days

furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!furious styles keeps pushing the rep limit!

i would like to hunt, skin, and wear this "PETA."
I wish there was a board called: Let's Just All Be Fucking Honest With Each Other For Five Minutes.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
1300 Class
Pam Poovey's Stunt Double

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I like protecting animals as much as the next fellow, but PETA seem to be the extremists that give conservation a bad name by all the silly, outlandish, radicalist behavior that does more harm than good and keeps them out of the mainstream and from more people getting their message.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
katorade

katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!katorade has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Lord View Post
I like protecting animals as much as the next fellow, but PETA seem to be the extremists that give conservation a bad name by all the silly, outlandish, radicalist behavior that does more harm than good and keeps them out of the mainstream and from more people getting their message.
The problem is that PETA are not animal welfare activists. They are animal RIGHTS activists. This means that not only do they believe that the consumption and captivity of animals is wrong, but exploiting them in any way is wrong as well.

They do not believe animals should be trained as helpers for the disabled, such as seeing eye dogs.

They do not believe animals should be used for medical testing, including testing done for research going towards cancer or aids.

They do not believe in zoos, even though zoos that are members of the AZA are critical to the survival of some species of animals and support conservational efforts to protect natural habitats.

They believe that pet ownership is slavery and animals handed over to their headquarters have been instantly euthanized rather than placed in homes.

The president of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, is a heartless megalomaniac. She has produced such lovely quotes as "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it." and has known to compare things like chicken farming to the holocaust, and animal exploitation to human slavery.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
katorade

Quote:
This is why many other animal rights groups refuse to be associated with them and often end up in direct conflict with them. They have also been known to shut down solo operations that were furthering their cause so that money could go directly to their main headquarters rather than benefiting organizations that were out to meet the same ends.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
elle camino
shitclock's tickin.

elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!elle camino keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
this would be totally right on, if PETA weren't the (or one of the) most well-known organizations in their field.
they're pretty much entirely in the mainstream.
case in point: we're discussing them right now.

also: the mods might as well send this over to hyde park right now and get it over with.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
1300 Class

1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!1300 Class has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
case in point: we're discussing them right now.
All because we discuss something doesn't make it mainstream in the slightest. What I should have really said was that their views and policies are not viewed as being mainstream, or even within the "normal" window of conservation and protection.

Quote:
They do not believe animals should be trained as helpers for the disabled, such as seeing eye dogs.
To me, that staggers belief. I mean to tout something so silly as this as policy, its amazing.

Quote:
They do not believe animals should be used for medical testing, including testing done for research going towards cancer or aids.
I can understand that to a point. I mean do they consider say, mice or rodents under their umbrella for this? (thats taking things to the extreme if they do).

Quote:
They do not believe in zoos, even though zoos that are members of the AZA are critical to the survival of some species of animals and support conservational efforts to protect natural habitats.
So to free animals they let them go extinct? What warped logic.

Quote:
They believe that pet ownership is slavery and animals handed over to their headquarters have been instantly euthanized rather than placed in homes.

The president of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, is a heartless megalomaniac. She has produced such lovely quotes as "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it." and has known to compare things like chicken farming to the holocaust, and animal exploitation to human slavery.
Sounds like a total nut. Though thats probably insulting to the other regular nuts out and about.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
katorade

Quote:
All because we discuss something doesn't make it mainstream in the slightest. What I should have really said was that their views and policies are not viewed as being mainstream, or even within the "normal" window of conservation and protection.

To me, that staggers belief. I mean to tout something so silly as this as policy, its amazing. Yes, to normal, rational people, this view is silly. To them, it's exploitation and slavery.

I can understand that to a point. I mean do they consider say, mice or rodents under their umbrella for this? (thats taking things to the extreme if they do). Anything that is classified as an animal is on that list. Even leeches used by hospitals are a no-go for them. You're talking about the people that think beekeepers are slave drivers.

So to free animals they let them go extinct? What warped logic. They would literally rather see an animal DIE than be in captivity or out of their natural element. This is why animals surrendered to their shelter at their headquarters have been euthanized rather than adopted out before, although they SAY this isn't their policy. It has happened, though, and they were taken to court for it and found guilty.

Sounds like a total nut. Though thats probably insulting to the other regular nuts out and about.
Yeah, she's certifiable.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
goodthings
On Timeout

goodthings carries a lot of weight on this boardgoodthings carries a lot of weight on this boardgoodthings carries a lot of weight on this boardgoodthings carries a lot of weight on this boardgoodthings carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
I've been a PETA supporter for many years, and I think they've accomplished some good things. But nobody's perfect, and PETA has consistently broadcast the message, "Don't eat meat! It'll make you fat!" I don't believe this is due to any particular anti-fat bias on PETA's part so much as a shrewd realization that millions of Americans are panicked about fat, plus the determination to use that panic to make a negative association with meat. It's psychological manipulation, otherwise known as advertising.
and of course that does make it ok
Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #14
1300 Class

I think the message they are achieving is "Don't listen to PETA we talk rubbish." Mission largely successful I would think.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
kojack
kustomized...

kojack can now change their title

Definatly a group of psychos. Anyone else catch there recent "Sea kittens" campain?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #16
exile in thighville
groups/347570880589/

exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!exile in thighville keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love meat
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #17
Wild Zero
ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!Wild Zero keeps pushing the rep limit!

If they had any stones they'd pull an A.L.F. and bomb the Super Bowl rather than participating in the whole animal-killing advertising sham.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
1300 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Definatly a group of psychos. Anyone else catch there recent "Sea kittens" campain?
Just proves how totally disconnected from reality they have become.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #19
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Yes, I read about that the other day -- their effort to rename fish.

I admit I laughed derisively.

That said, for all their failed stunts PETA does have a fairly impressive record of gains on the animal rights front. So some of those outlandish tactics do, in fact, work.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #20
No-No-Badkitty
Purrrrrrrrr~

No-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 clubNo-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 clubNo-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 clubNo-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 clubNo-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 clubNo-No-Badkitty is a member of the 500 club

PETA is nothing more than a domestic terrorism group that has done 0 for animals. The only thing they do is hump on media frenzied stories and stand around patting themselves on the back taking credit when none was due. Fact, PETA hasn't spent a single dollar on ANY program to HELP animals...unless it means helping them die. PETA is a lobyist group.
People who support PETA, often have a very good heart, but do not understand the true mission of this group. And like a certian German power (that shall remain nameless) that might have saved his country in a time of dispair, and brought prosperity and pride, his means of accomplishing that feat are unforgivable and just plain EVIL.
And before anyone gets angry about the comparison, I want to point something out, PETA's goal, their true goal (which many will roll their eyes and say impossible but the same was said about a certian other person too) is to remove humans from the equation and return the planet to natural animals. They fund lobyist groups that push for anything related to human removal, abortion, human euthanasia (for the mentally retarded), human population control, resource control (food), no medical research, blocking life saving drugs, etc. PETA promotes the suffering of humans for the benefit of animals.
Farmers, animal exhibitors, those of us involved in rescue, or any animal industry have been fighting these people for years, trying to educate the public about their true agenda.
If people want to truly HELP animals in need, then go to your local animal shelter and donate food, supplies, and toys. That's helping.

:kiss2:The Man I Love :kiss2:
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #21
BothGunsBlazing
Back...ish

BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!BothGunsBlazing keeps pushing the rep limit!

I really don't like PETA, but hey, at least people know what that is.

so, that leads to .. a NAAFA is what?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #22
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cannot stand PETA.
They objectify women to make their point about ~delicious veggies~.
Their idiotic leader requires insulin (hypocriiiiiite).
A lot of the facts they use are wholly untrue.
They whine like five-year-olds.
IMO PETA gives vegetarians not associated with them a bad, bad name.
I would like to organize a demonstration in which people lob raw and cooked meats at PETA members.
jfhasjbfkealuoqei4f
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #23
LalaCity

LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!LalaCity keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-No-Badkitty View Post
PETA is nothing more than a domestic terrorism group that has done 0 for animals. The only thing they do is hump on media frenzied stories and stand around patting themselves on the back taking credit when none was due. Fact, PETA hasn't spent a single dollar on ANY program to HELP animals...unless it means helping them die. PETA is a lobyist group.
People who support PETA, often have a very good heart, but do not understand the true mission of this group. And like a certian German power (that shall remain nameless) that might have saved his country in a time of dispair, and brought prosperity and pride, his means of accomplishing that feat are unforgivable and just plain EVIL.
And before anyone gets angry about the comparison, I want to point something out, PETA's goal, their true goal (which many will roll their eyes and say impossible but the same was said about a certian other person too) is to remove humans from the equation and return the planet to natural animals. They fund lobyist groups that push for anything related to human removal, abortion, human euthanasia (for the mentally retarded), human population control, resource control (food), no medical research, blocking life saving drugs, etc. PETA promotes the suffering of humans for the benefit of animals.
Farmers, animal exhibitors, those of us involved in rescue, or any animal industry have been fighting these people for years, trying to educate the public about their true agenda.
If people want to truly HELP animals in need, then go to your local animal shelter and donate food, supplies, and toys. That's helping.
Your allegation that PETA is trying to exterminate the human race seems a little...extreme. Have any info (links, etc.) to back it up?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
LoveBHMS
default title

LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!LoveBHMS keeps pushing the rep limit!

However one feels about PETA, the issue here is should the ad have been banned, to which I say no.

I watch a LOT of football, and beer ads (anyone remember the Swedish Bikini Team?) are much racier and suggestive than this one.

As far as the messages they use, I would say it's fair to assume they conduct the same sorts of sales and marketing activities as for-profit corporations. IOW, they conduct surveys to learn about attitudes towards vegetarianism and also to determine what messages best sell. It's sort of conventional wisdom that "sex sells" so they created the "I'd rather go naked than wear fur" campaign and conduct surveys online each year about that year's "Sexiest Vegetarian". If they know the diet industry makes millions each year promising weight loss, it's clear Americans respond positively to a message that says "If you do this, you'll lose weight".
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #25
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooz View Post
They objectify women to make their point about ~delicious veggies~.
This.

Why is it alright to exploit women in the quest to stop exploitation of animals?