Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > GLBTQ

Old 09-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #676
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Gotta disagree with you here, but by and far the biggest impact on trans legislation is the 'pro-family' contingent, who pay for offensive ads calling trans legislation 'bathroom bills' and spreading the false belief that allowing transwomen into women's restrooms will allow rapists to access vulenrable women and children in the bathrooms. As someone who knows folks involved in getting such legislation passed in two states, I can tell you, the women you speak of aren't running radio ads against the bills, or showing up at hearings denouncing the bills, nor are they lighting up the internet with their denouncement of Chaz Bono being on DWTS.

I'm no fan of the people you speak of, but to believe that they have the influence to keep trans legislation from passing is just plain wrong, and it also suggests that the only people in the GLBT movement who are anti-trans are lesbian feminists, which is also not true. It was Barney Frank, a gay man, who decided to leave trans folks off the ENDA bill a few years back, with the agreement of the HRC, run by a gay man.
You're right, there's anti-trans sentiment from all sides within the GLBT spectrum (even from some trans people )

But there is a strong radfem push against trans people, specifically trans women since they consider us to be men. And while they don't have the audience or financial power that the 'pro-family' groups do, they are influencing people who could potentially be allies - feminists, GLB people, liberals - which is much more damaging than if Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck think we're evil and misguided.

Quote:
“Our job is not to get those people who dislike us to love us. Nor was our aim in the civil rights movement to get prejudiced white people to love us. Our aim was to try to create the kind of America, legislatively, morally, and psychologically, such that even though some whites continued to hate us, they could not openly manifest that hate.”
Here's a few articles and such that illustrate what I'm talking about:
No matter who says it, anti-trans sentiments are anti-trans sentiments
Anti-Trans Company Producing PFLAG Merchandise
An Example Of Controlling Antitrans Sentiments
Radical Lesbian Separatism in LGBT Activism: Hyding in Plain Sight?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #677
sowhat
Contains no MSG

sowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessowhat can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
People are just terrible....and those in the GLBTQ community are no better. I've seen so many variations of this same crap, that I don't even bother trying to understand it anymore. You'd think they would know something about acceptance, but nope
I will default to my father's best nugget of wisdom he's given me:

People Suck.

BTW - The part that makes me fail to take radfem womyn born womyn separatists seriously about their rights is when they say "give us these rights, but don't give rights to those people, they're <whatever>".

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch View Post
Gotta disagree with you here, but by and far the biggest impact on trans legislation is the 'pro-family' contingent, who pay for offensive ads calling trans legislation 'bathroom bills' and spreading the false belief that allowing transwomen into women's restrooms will allow rapists to access vulenrable women and children in the bathrooms. As someone who knows folks involved in getting such legislation passed in two states, I can tell you, the women you speak of aren't running radio ads against the bills, or showing up at hearings denouncing the bills, nor are they lighting up the internet with their denouncement of Chaz Bono being on DWTS.

I'm no fan of the people you speak of, but to believe that they have the influence to keep trans legislation from passing is just plain wrong, and it also suggests that the only people in the GLBT movement who are anti-trans are lesbian feminists, which is also not true. It was Barney Frank, a gay man, who decided to leave trans folks off the ENDA bill a few years back, with the agreement of the HRC, run by a gay man.
I agree completely that it's the pro-family right wing people that are much more impactful on trans legislation.

The thing that gets me about the MTF transpeople be rapin' womyn and children in the bathroom argument that confuses me is the logic. If I am going to rape somebody, cause god knows that's why I and all other transpeeps transition, how is not being allowed into the bathroom going to stop me? I'm pretty damn sure someone trying to rape someone else isn't going to be bothered by having to do a little trespassing or b&e. But then again, I don't look to pro-family and religious groups for logic.
sowhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #678
butch
cuddly, hairy, and fat

butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.butch has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I never got that logic, either, but I think where they end up is that they claim that if the laws are changed, then predators, before they do anything and get caught, will prowl bathrooms in female attire to look for victims, and when someone tries to remove them from the restroom, they'll claim they're trans and that they are legally allowed to hang out in women's restrooms in women's clothes.

There are some trans folks who agree with this logic, too, sadly, because they don't accept anyone as trans who doesn't transition fully and stereotypically from one gender to the other.

So, I find there are so many different players in anti-trans sentiment out there that I never assume because someone is [fill in the blank] that they are going to be supportive of trans issues. Being fat, I've also learned the same holds true for people who might seem to be natural allies for fat positivity and HAES. If feminists, progressives, and others are truly influenced by anti-trans feminists, then that is news to me, since all the feminists I know are pro-trans, and those other folks aren't so progressive after all if they refuse to accept the fludity of gender.

I think it would be impossible for most feminists who came of age in the past 2 decades to be anti-trans, since they've been exposed to Judith Butler and other queer theorists who deconstruct gender, not hold up an essentialized understanding of gender. Perhaps remnants of older strands of feminism still try to influence the debate, but they aren't getting any play in the women studies departments of colleges, which is where most folks get their feminist knowledge from.

Last edited by butch; 09-05-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: clarification
butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #679
genevathistime
Visage de Poupée

genevathistime can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesgenevathistime can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I feel sexiest when I wear knee highs. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #680
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

I did it. I came out to my therapy group. Luckily it was taken pretty well.
CarlaSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #681
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

IC I always start dressing up my boy crushes like girls in my head, a little eye liner here, some rouge for you, a dress for him..... Recently I pictured my best friend in a sundress he bought his mom, and when I saw the photo of her wearing it online just now, I knew that's how it's fall on those hips.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.
Mishty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #682
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

IC that in addition to buying a new wallet and band t-shirt from Hot Topic's website, I also grabbed these two items:

Yes, those swim bottoms. Combine the two with my awesome purple glasses and
The Orange Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #683
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange Mage View Post
IC that in addition to buying a new wallet and band t-shirt from Hot Topic's website, I also grabbed these two items...
Haha, you are awesome!
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #684
VVET

VVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesVVET can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Question

Quote:
IC that in addition to buying a new wallet and band t-shirt from Hot Topic's website, I also grabbed these two items:

Yes, those swim bottoms. Combine the two with my awesome purple glasses and
And we don't get to see how they all go together?
VVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #685
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!The Orange Mage keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVET View Post
And we don't get to see how they all go together?
They haven't arrived yet, silly.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #686
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mishty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

How ever lovin' cute is that!
Purplific!

Um,I got a mean case of envy on that shirt....
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #687
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Can't rep you yet....but it should have regenerated in time for the pics
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #689
Mishty
aluminum petunia

Hot mess!
Winning.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #690
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Oh crap, I just realized the first link was completely wrong. Fixing!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #691
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

Still broken! *sulks*
Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #692
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
Still broken! *sulks*
Here! (.....)
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #693
Cors
Delurking

Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!Cors keeps pushing the rep limit!

*happy Yoshi dance*
Old 09-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #694
Amatrix
Winkyface

Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Amatrix has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Orange, you have a cute butt! Hahahaha.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #695
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatrix View Post
Orange, you have a cute butt! Hahahaha.

Thanks! I think so too!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #696
Cors
Delurking

IC that I can now identify better with bisexual angst!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #697
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

IC that because I can rationalize the thought process behind why I feel the way I do about my gender identity it feels less legitimate.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #698
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!CarlaSixx keeps pushing the rep limit!

My therapist asked me last week to think back to when gender identity first was skewed for me, and I never actually tried it until yesterday. Then it hit me.

Ever since I was playing house with others, I always played "daddy" in House, or came up with characters for games that involved being a strong and dominant woman, but being called "Sir" instead of any female name.

When speaking to a friend about this, they said "but don't transgendered people usually act that way?" My response was that I didn't know, but I don't believe I am trans. Simply because I never felt I was in the wrong body... that I was meant to be female but still was very masculine from the start. If I could start over again and choose my gender, I would be male, but I'm entirely fine with having female parts. It's odd.

Guess there's a lot more to this stuff than I thought...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #699
The Orange Mage
♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaSixx View Post
Simply because I never felt I was in the wrong body... that I was meant to be female but still was very masculine from the start. If I could start over again and choose my gender, I would be male, but I'm entirely fine with having female parts. It's odd.

Guess there's a lot more to this stuff than I thought...
Oh hey, flip the genders and you've got what I was thinking. Neat!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #700
CarlaSixx
Just Another Weirdo

Ha! Awesome! Always good to know you're not the only one out there like that